PDA

View Full Version : Virgin poster here! Do I get a scooter, a 125, or a 250?

kochikaren
12th December 2005, 10:49
Hey everyone! Virgin poster here! heheh ... I just wanted to say I got my Basic Handling Skills Certificate yesterday and I'm really excited to get my first bike (after passing my learner's, of course!) I must admit, I've only ever been on bikes illegally in Thailand when on vacation (rode a dirtbike on their highway from Sangklaburi to the border of neighbouring country Burma/Myanmar without any sort of licence! Did the same thing on a busy Bangkok highway -- scary!:chase: ) and it was easy as pie. Its been a couple years now and of course, I was quite nervous about getting back. A big shout-out to Philip of Riderskills (highly recommended) for being very patient when my nerves got frazzled and for explaning things simply and to the point. It all really helped with my confidence! So if any newbie out there is looking to get their BHS, go to Riderskills! And did I mention he gave me a 20% discount just for being on KB? :yes:

I will be in the market for my first bike next year -- Can anyone give advice on whether to get a 50cc scooter, a 125cc, or a 250? I'm not so confident about riding just yet, but practice makes perfect, eh? I was thinking about getting a cheap scooter (just being lazy, really), but since I live on the shore where steep hills abound, I'm probably better off with getting a 125/250. Any suggestions?

judgeshock
12th December 2005, 10:50
Welcome along, what does a virgin poster look like :lol:

DMNTD
12th December 2005, 10:55
Welcome along, what does a virgin poster look like :lol:....yep keen as to see a pic:yes:
First off welcome to KB. Heaps here to help you out.
I'd get a 250(not a 2stroke) if in your shoes. You'll get you confidence up quick with loads of riding and they're ok if you want to take a trip too...which you will:yes:
Whatever you get enjoy ya hear:2thumbsup

phoenixgtr
12th December 2005, 11:11
Welcome to KB. Get a 4 stroke 250. You will regret the lack of power of a smaller bike after not long

kochikaren
12th December 2005, 11:34
Welcome to KB. Get a 4 stroke 250. You will regret the lack of power of a smaller bike after not long
Mmm. 4 stroke 250. Does a GN250 fit that bill?

BTW pic upload in the next few days!

Str8 Jacket
12th December 2005, 12:06
Mmm. 4 stroke 250. Does a GN250 fit that bill?

If your serious about riding and you want to go longer distances do not get a GN. I will admit that they are an easy bike to learn to ride on, but once you get the hang of riding you may find that they are just clunky and slowish. If you just want to learn to ride and only want to commute etc then a GN is a great bike.
Every bike feels different. I started out with a GN but wrote it of a couple of months later (rider error) I now have a 2 stroke 150 that is more than capable of keeping up with a 250cc. Its nice and light and really easy to ride. My advice is that you go and sit on a few, see what feels comfy and choose one that you can pick up of the ground easily, cause believe me its important!

crashe
12th December 2005, 12:12
or go and buy a virago 250cc cruiser.

phoenixgtr
12th December 2005, 12:17
You will notice a bit of negativism toward GN's on this site and fair enough. They are good to learn the very basics on but I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. Its just not my bag baby. Like Str8 Jacket said, you gotta try some out and at least sit on a few. I think image is really important. If you feel like you look good riding your bike then you will feel more confident

Ixion
12th December 2005, 12:20
To some extent, it depends on how old you are. If you are over 25, and don't have to spend half eternity stuck on a learners or restricted licence, then get a GN250. Testosterone fuelled young men complain they are too slow. But you do not have to deal with the side effects of testosterone, or the painful and expensive results. And remember that while you are on your L plate you are legally limited to 70kph anyway. By the time you have reached the limits of it, you will be ready for take your full, and get a bigger bike. You will lose almost nothing when you sell a GN, they hold their value so well. And they are cheap as chips to run, and cheap as to repair if you do drop it.

If you are under 25 then the prolonged L and R time may make a difference since you will probably want to ditch whatever bike you start out with in favour of a more powerful 250.

Just one point , beware of overconfidence. "it was easy as pie." is a good start to unpleasant experiences in hospitals and such like. I have been riding for 40 years, and I certainly wouldn't say even now that it as easy as pie. Very rewarding , though. But like most interesting things, it can go horribly wrong horribly fast, so you must never be overconfidant (nor, be too scared to step boldy out. Judicial is always a good word) .

I am sure Ms Sunhuntin and Ms Crashe will be glad to give further feminine insight.

(I would very strongly suggest that you do NOT start out with a two stroke, enthusiast though I am for the two smokers. At least a few months experience is needed before attempting to ringa-ding-ding - even then not everyone can manage it)

pyrocam
12th December 2005, 12:24
cbr250
there can be no other.

MSTRS
12th December 2005, 13:29
Almost an hour and a half - you slipping, young lady??
BTW welcome that new lass. Before you decide on the bike that's right for you, you have to decide what kind of riding you are going to be doing & what you are prepared to spend too.

pyrocam
12th December 2005, 13:44
BTW welcome that new lass. Before you decide on the bike that's right for you, you have to decide what kind of riding you are going to be doing & what you are prepared to spend too.

thats rubbish!

call up your favourite bike store (or colemans suzuki on K road if you dont have one) and say 'SELL ME A BIKE TODAY' and take the first one shown to you even if its more than double your budget.

crashe
12th December 2005, 13:52

Hahahaha nope not at all.... I wasnt on line....
Dog-gone it I must stop having a life....:rofl: :rofl:

Go and sit on a Virago 250cc and test ride one.. they are great bikes...
Remember they are a cruiser so you take a corner differently to a sport type bike.
The Virago is a great commuter and great out on the country roads as well.

A GN250 is a taller bike with a harder seat than a Virago 250 cruiser and the Virago has a much more comfortable seat to sit on. The Virago 250 is a much more commfortable ride......

But the GN250 is a great little learner bike to learn on...

But I highly recommend the Virago 250cc cruiser.

texmo
12th December 2005, 14:10
Hey everyone! Virgin poster here! heheh ... I just wanted to say I got my Basic Handling Skills Certificate yesterday and I'm really excited to get my first bike (after passing my learner's, of course!) I must admit, I've only ever been on bikes illegally in Thailand when on vacation (rode a dirtbike on their highway from Sangklaburi to the border of neighbouring country Burma/Myanmar without any sort of licence! Did the same thing on a busy Bangkok highway -- scary!:chase: ) and it was easy as pie. Its been a couple years now and of course, I was quite nervous about getting back. A big shout-out to Philip of Riderskills (highly recommended) for being very patient when my nerves got frazzled and for explaning things simply and to the point. It all really helped with my confidence! So if any newbie out there is looking to get their BHS, go to Riderskills! And did I mention he gave me a 20% discount just for being on KB? :yes:

I will be in the market for my first bike next year -- Can anyone give advice on whether to get a 50cc scooter, a 125cc, or a 250? I'm not so confident about riding just yet, but practice makes perfect, eh? I was thinking about getting a cheap scooter (just being lazy, really), but since I live on the shore where steep hills abound, I'm probably better off with getting a 125/250. Any suggestions?

scooters are a lot more dangerous than bikes, the brakes arent as good they dont handel as well, 250cc motobikes cost too much...
get an rg150

kochikaren
12th December 2005, 17:40
To some extent, it depends on how old you are. If you are over 25, and don't have to spend half eternity stuck on a learners or restricted licence, then get a GN250. Testosterone fuelled young men complain they are too slow. But you do not have to deal with the side effects of testosterone, or the painful and expensive results. And remember that while you are on your L plate you are legally limited to 70kph anyway. By the time you have reached the limits of it, you will be ready for take your full, and get a bigger bike. You will lose almost nothing when you sell a GN, they hold their value so well. And they are cheap as chips to run, and cheap as to repair if you do drop it.

If you are under 25 then the prolonged L and R time may make a difference since you will probably want to ditch whatever bike you start out with in favour of a more powerful 250.

Just one point , beware of overconfidence. "it was easy as pie." is a good start to unpleasant experiences in hospitals and such like. I have been riding for 40 years, and I certainly wouldn't say even now that it as easy as pie. Very rewarding , though. But like most interesting things, it can go horribly wrong horribly fast, so you must never be overconfidant (nor, be too scared to step boldy out. Judicial is always a good word) .

I am sure Ms Sunhuntin and Ms Crashe will be glad to give further feminine insight.

(I would very strongly suggest that you do NOT start out with a two stroke, enthusiast though I am for the two smokers. At least a few months experience is needed before attempting to ringa-ding-ding - even then not everyone can manage it)

Wow. Thanks for that! That's really helpful info -- BTW, I am a bit over the quarter-century age, so I might just get a 250. I won't spent so long on my learners/restricted ... depending on whether or not I go back home to Canada before I get my full! heheh. :blip:

I like the whole "inexpensive to start with" idea. I am quite careful with my things, and especially something that I ride in. So I suppose GNs would do the trick, although I *will* try out other models to see if I like them better.

Oh, and just to clarify, the "easy as pie" bit wasn't from the BHS test -- it was from riding auto clutch bikes overseas. I do agree about being overconfident -- don't worry, at this point, I am lacking it due to inexperience! I will be careful though, thanks! :hug:

froggyfrenchman
12th December 2005, 17:43
whatever you choose, enjoy! Oh, and welcome to the madhouse

Hitcher
12th December 2005, 17:53
Welcome along, what does a virgin poster look like
Something more than 10 years old with a photo of Petra Bagust on it...

Oh. Welcome. And get a 250.

Sniper
12th December 2005, 17:54
VIRGIN, how did you escape my castle???

Zed
12th December 2005, 17:59
I've only ever been on bikes illegally in Thailand when on vacation (rode a dirtbike on their highway from Sangklaburi to the border of neighbouring country Burma/Myanmar without any sort of licence! Did the same thing on a busy Bangkok highway -- scary!:chase: ) and it was easy as pie...

...I was thinking about getting a cheap scooter (just being lazy, really), but since I live on the shore where steep hills abound, I'm probably better off with getting a 125/250. Any suggestions?Congrats on your Certificate & decision to become a biker! Just remember that riding ANY motorcycle in Auckland is never "easy". Could bear resemblance to Bangkok at times - lower Queen St at midnight on a Fri/Sat night? Take care out there.
Welcome to KiwiBiker kochikaren! :spudbn:

Zed
12th December 2005, 18:12
Go and sit on a Virago 250cc...

...The Virago is a great commuter...

...harder seat than a Virago 250 cruiser...

...the Virago has a much more comfortable seat...

...The Virago 250 is a much more commfortable ride...

...But I highly recommend the Virago 250cc cruiser...You sure about that last comment crashe?? :laugh:

Oh why not, based solely on crashes passionate testimony, at least give The Virago 250cc Cruiser a trial ride pleeease kochikaren!

sunhuntin
12th December 2005, 19:55
ok. welcome!! yes, get a 250. i started on a 250 and would not go any less. scooters dont have enough power to get you out of trouble spots [acceleration] and im not sure a 125 would either.

i ride a gn250, and am on my second [loooong story!] never get over confident...that leads to broken bits. as far as a ginny not being any good for long rides...ive gone miles on mine. something like 600-ood k in two days! however...what you decide to ride is ultimately up to you. go sit on a few bikes, maybe test ride a few if you can. what style do you like? racer or cruiser? some 250s have a lot more power behind them than many realise [mainly the racers] the gn i think is more the armadillo of the pack, lol.

green rep headed your way, :2thumbsup

kochikaren
12th December 2005, 22:01
ok. welcome!! yes, get a 250. i started on a 250 and would not go any less. scooters dont have enough power to get you out of trouble spots [acceleration] and im not sure a 125 would either.

i ride a gn250, and am on my second [loooong story!] never get over confident...that leads to broken bits. as far as a ginny not being any good for long rides...ive gone miles on mine. something like 600-ood k in two days! however...what you decide to ride is ultimately up to you. go sit on a few bikes, maybe test ride a few if you can. what style do you like? racer or cruiser? some 250s have a lot more power behind them than many realise [mainly the racers] the gn i think is more the armadillo of the pack, lol.

green rep headed your way, :2thumbsup

Heheh. Is the second ginny a direct result of being overconfident with the first one? :blink: Well, I don't plan on going on solo long rides once the bike comes -- I hate to admit it, but my partner will probably follow me in her car with flashing lights and hire another one to go infront with the sign "wide load follows"!!!! :killingme

Seriously though, I think I'm more a cruiser girl ... my dad had this big beautiful chrome Kawasaki cruiser-type (cant remember how many CCs) and I was hooked after that. I'm probably going to ride the bike on a daily basis, to and from work (aka over the hills of the shore) and of course cruising on the weekends if I can hook up with some of the KBers for some group rides. Would be a bit apprehensive to do at first for sure!

skidMark
12th December 2005, 22:06

thats what im buying next year but the lifan version looks very similar....

www.lifanmc.co.nz

see what i mean (goto roadbikes then delta)

saving my pennies for one :D

skidMark
12th December 2005, 22:07
depends on your budget the one i just mentioned is only 4835+orc brand new with 12 month warrenty... i think im in love :2thumbsup

FROSTY
12th December 2005, 22:19
Id have a look at the gb250 --nice lil single naked 250
I loved the lil Honda 250 spada I owned.
The GNU is actually not too bad within its limitations

sunhuntin
13th December 2005, 17:54
Heheh. Is the second ginny a direct result of being overconfident with the first one? :blink: Well, I don't plan on going on solo long rides once the bike comes -- I hate to admit it, but my partner will probably follow me in her car with flashing lights and hire another one to go infront with the sign "wide load follows"!!!! :killingme

Seriously though, I think I'm more a cruiser girl ... my dad had this big beautiful chrome Kawasaki cruiser-type (cant remember how many CCs) and I was hooked after that. I'm probably going to ride the bike on a daily basis, to and from work (aka over the hills of the shore) and of course cruising on the weekends if I can hook up with some of the KBers for some group rides. Would be a bit apprehensive to do at first for sure!

was a mix really.....woman not looking at stop sign and me overtaking and riding a tad faster than my angel can fly....but she cant have been far behind, seein as i wasnt more seriously hurt.

i rarely ride in groups...prefer solo or paired riding more than anything. gns are cruisers, as are virago [is that spelt right CRASHE?] lol. you only gain confidence on group rides by going on them. if you can, find out which route you are going to riding and ride it at least once prior to the actual ride. could literally be a life saver. last group ride i went on, i knew the road a bit so took it slowly [about 50k] due to it being narrow with lots of twists and massive dips in corners. the backriders of the groups tend to be pushed harder to keep up, but the frontrunners also seem to be bunched more, so chances of you being tangled in a spill could be higher. your first few groups rides youll likely be recommended to stay at the tail end, specially if your bike cant quite keep up [scuffy doesnt quite keep up, dunno about the virago though in terms of pull]

again, welcome and post pics of your bike when you get one!!

Unit
13th December 2005, 20:40
Welcome. So long as your on two wheels, who cares, but I agree with TL Rider, a 250 means you can do that extra riding and far more bike to grow into. Keep us posted as to how you get on, welcome to the mad zone:rockon: :bleh: :doobey:

Lias
13th December 2005, 20:47
A new GN 250 can do 135ish downhill on a good day, people accuse me of being slighhly mad but I've done Hamilton to Wellington twice on mine. Great bike to learn on, and as noted they hold their value well and dont cost the earth to repair.

kochikaren
14th December 2005, 07:45
A new GN 250 can do 135ish downhill on a good day, people accuse me of being slighhly mad but I've done Hamilton to Wellington twice on mine. Great bike to learn on, and as noted they hold their value well and dont cost the earth to repair.

WHOA! Hamilton to Welly? I'm sure that's quite the drive eh! I've been lurking on Trademe to check out what's available out there for the past couple weeks and came across this dude who was selling something like a 200cc bike and rode from Christchurch to Auckland on it!!! Hardcore, man! :not:

Speaking of Trademe, my partner and I had a horrible experience purchasing our car from this dodgy person, but that never deterred us from using the site to get other non-big ticket items (eg below 1000 bucks). Now I am in the market for a bike, is Trademe still a-ok to use just as classifieds on the paper? Or am I better off buying from a dealer, since warranties do come with most bikes?

Thanks for any advice!

MSTRS
14th December 2005, 08:24
Now I am in the market for a bike, is Trademe still a-ok to use just as classifieds on the paper? Or am I better off buying from a dealer, since warranties do come with most bikes?

Thanks for any advice!
Dealer is legally obliged to warranty that the bike is 'fit for the purpose intended'. Beyond that, the age of the bike will determine what sort of warranty against breakdown. At the cheaper end of the market you would do better on TM, as long as you get the bike checked over BEFORE you part with the dosh.

sunhuntin
14th December 2005, 11:41
i would only use trademe if you could physically go and look at the bike first and get someone to test ride it if you dont want to yourself. i certainly wouldnt use tm to buy a bike in chch seein as i cant go and check it over....better to go to a dealership.

Rashika
15th December 2005, 14:57
Welcome kochikaren! :Punk:
speaking from my own experience, the GN 250 is a good start thats for sure. Altho if the 250 Virago had really been an option all those years ago I prob would have gone for that instead...both are good bikes and should both resale well when ya need a bit more grunt.
CBR 250 yep pretty good too if you like a more sports bike, but ya mentioned a cruiser so I'm guessing the GN or Virago would be right for you ...BUT DO go and try a few you may surprise yourself about what you like.

Cheers and happy riding!

CPB
15th December 2005, 15:03
welcome to the site, enjoy your stay

Mad Cow
20th December 2005, 17:21
Welcome kochikaren! :Punk:
speaking from my own experience, the GN 250 is a good start thats for sure. Altho if the 250 Virago had really been an option all those years ago I prob would have gone for that instead...both are good bikes and should both resale well when ya need a bit more grunt.
CBR 250 yep pretty good too if you like a more sports bike, but ya mentioned a cruiser so I'm guessing the GN or Virago would be right for you ...BUT DO go and try a few you may surprise yourself about what you like.

Cheers and happy riding!

I am new to this too and have just brought a GN 250 as a beginners bike and am having a blast! The trouble is that I went to "have a look" at some bikes but I am so impulsive and excited I brought one on the spot :Oops: