PDA

View Full Version : throttle adjustment

mops
12th December 2005, 13:30
Hello ppl.
I just got my bike and so far I did about 100km's. This is my first bike after 10 years of not riding.

I find throttle setup on my bike uncomfortable.

It goes like that...
in the first 10% of twist grip move, about 40% of engine power is applied, making it quite difficult to drive slow/gently, and it gets even dangerous in some cases on slow speed corners (like intersections and T junctions), when I often find myself going wide cos the bike is accelerating faster than I want it. I would imagine it might become an issue on the wet.

Even if I gently ease off the throttle, it causes bike to voilently slow down. Generally speaking most of my driging is done in the 0-10% of the twist grip range, so I'd really like to smooth out that part...

Later on.... 40% to 80% ot twis grip movement does not give make any difference, just the last 20% I can feel another surge of power.

I'd really like to know how would I go about smoothing it all out....

I hope you understand what I mean.....

SimJen
12th December 2005, 13:36
Sounds like a quick action throttle. Perhaps its not.
Generally it takes a bit of getting used to the throttle on new or different bikes. Give it a week or two and see if it helps.
Or you could swap out the twist grip for one with a slower ratio (smaller diameter wheel).

Lou Girardin
14th December 2005, 07:04
How much free paly is there?
That is, how much can you turn the twist grip before you feel the carbs open? It should be around 3 - 5 mm

miSTa
14th December 2005, 09:10
You've checked that there are no kinks, tight turns in the cable and that the cable is well lubricated?

mops
14th December 2005, 09:26
checked for kinks.
Will lube the cable when I get home. What should I use to lube the cable ?

I have chain oil in spray, wd40 (in spray), motor oil, gearbox oil, vaseline, electrical contact cleaner (kinda like wd40 but sticks better and lasts longer), armour-all, diesel fuel, and used motor/gearbox oil and probably some other stuff.... just dont tell me that there's some special lube for linkages....

I tried to adjust slack on the twist grip, but it seems to be ok. if i get it any tighter, rpm's incerase when I turn the steering wheel to the right :)

erik
14th December 2005, 17:26
Nice bike :niceone:

Since you've just got back into riding, I'd guess you're just not used to the throttle. Inline 4's are revvy, they tend to jump up to high revs with only small throttle movement when you are taking off, etc (well, my Zeal does, and I'm pretty sure the zxr and cbr that I rode did as well).
You'll get used to it.

In regards to the bike being jerky while balancing between accelerating and slowing down (eg in a corner) you could try doing it in a higher gear, this should make it slightly less jerky.

But yeah, just keep riding, you'll get used to it.

ahug030
14th December 2005, 17:59
I suggest that you physically look at the carbs opening and closing while you turn the throttle, it may be that the last owner has set it up so that the carbs open almost all the way with only a small turn on the throttle...

mops
14th December 2005, 20:22
thanks for input dudes.

I'll check out the carbs and see whats going on.

kinda difficult to do manuvering in higher gear... absolute minimum to ride is 4k, once it's under that I have to drop to 1st otherwise it's just labouring the engine.

As I ride more I'm getting used to that. Possibly it just requires special technique of manuvering....

scumdog
14th December 2005, 21:37
I have found with 'touchy' bikes it helps to bend your arm before grabbing the throttle (your arm sort of more parallel to the ground) that way it is slightly more difficult to give the the bike too much throttle or an unintended 'blip'.

My 2 cents worth.