PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Insurance

Marknz
5th March 2004, 20:54
Can anyone recommend a decent insurance company for a 30 something year old rider with a clean record (just not been caught yet) and clean insurance record. What sort of yearly premiums can I expect to pay here? My last in Aussie was a little over $1300!!

James Deuce
5th March 2004, 20:56
Can anyone recommend a decent insurance company for a 30 something year old rider with a clean record (just not been caught yet) and clean insurance record. What sort of yearly premiums can I expect to pay here? My last in Aussie was a little over $1300!!

With that kind of record you should be able to get something in the $300-$400 doallr range for the VTR.

Try AMI and Tower.

Cheers

Two Smoker
5th March 2004, 21:01
Your lucky with the age of yourself (not saying your old or anything) It costs me $400 with a clean record just for my tiny eny weeny 150:argh: . But i cant complain, it costs me just over a grand for my car.

Slingshot
5th March 2004, 22:36
I did a ring around the other day to see if I could get cheaper insurance for my 250, I'm over 25 and am on a restricted.

AA wouldn't do it at all.
State was the cheapest (around half the cost of the others)
Tower would but were expensive
AMI were similar to Tower.
I didn't get a chance to call Protector.

All I can say is let your fingers do the walking.

LB
6th March 2004, 03:47
Try John Baker also - he's a broker and has done us a really good deal on our four bikes - only about $250 extra for the extra two (I guess they figure you can only ride one at a time), so for four bikes retail value new $73,000 (fuck that's scary, never added it up before!) it's around $1600 per year. Contact number is 0800 65 62 64

Firefight
6th March 2004, 05:09
Gidday Mark, have you tried the honda riders club, they offer good rates as part of a coprate bulk deal with a broker in the SI, also they insure any brand.

pm me if you need contact details.

firefight. :wavey:

Lou Girardin
6th March 2004, 05:10
Try Swann and Protector too.
Lou

LB
6th March 2004, 07:12
Just remembered that Eric Wood has an insurance scheme too, not sure of his phone number but he's the bike shop in Chch, the Harley/Aprilia/Guzzi dealer, in Manchester Street

matthewt
6th March 2004, 09:10
Just remembered that Eric Wood has an insurance scheme too, not sure of his phone number but he's the bike shop in Chch, the Harley/Aprilia/Guzzi dealer, in Manchester Street

Hmmm, just find out who the underwriter is. When I lived in ChCh Eric Wood's was called "Eric the Hood". I had a pretty bad experience when I brought my 2nd bike from him (I was 17 at the time and he took full advantage of my inexperience). I saw a really nice Turono "Racing" model and was quite tempted by it (this was before the Brutale came into NZ) but in the end I decided I'd rather bite my arm off than spend another cent in his ship, let alone 3,0000,000 cents.

ching_ching
6th March 2004, 13:08
Hey bro,

Insurance for my bike cost just over $800- per year (full comprehensive) from John Baker... they do a lot of Ulysses riders.

My criteria:

- Over 30
- 600cc Sportsbike
- riding experience - just under 18 months at time of application
- only rider
- no claims
- no med probs (... oh OK maybe just one...) :wacko:

All the others I got quotes from were asking at least $1000 upwards.

ching

Ms Piggy
6th March 2004, 13:14
Hey Mark,
I'm with Protecta, they're Auckland based but for me they seemed quite a lot better than most. I just have 3rd party fire & theft on my little beast (they were the only ones that would cover fire & theft on 3rd party), I know you'll be wanting full cover but give them a call. 0800 435 7868 or www.protecta.co.nz

Cheers Cathy :niceone:

SPman
6th March 2004, 13:31
Swann & Protecta seemed the cheapest - Im with Swann after Protecta f**ked up. I tried Baker and the Kiwibiker? brokers for quotes and they were more expensive.

Two Smoker
6th March 2004, 14:14
Swann & Protecta seemed the cheapest - Im with Swann after Protecta f**ked up. I tried Baker and the Kiwibiker? brokers for quotes and they were more expensive.
How did protecta F%#k (F@#k) up? you have me worried now:wacko:

SPman
6th March 2004, 14:30
How did protecta F%#k up? you have me worried now:wacko:Due to a paperwork cock up on their part, when transferring to direct debit, I was riding around uninsured for 6 mths! I only caught on after checking bank statements and discovered that no money had been going out! They had somehow cancelled my insurance without me telling them or them telling me!

Two Smoker
6th March 2004, 20:11
Due to a paperwork cock up on their part, when transferring to direct debit, I was riding around uninsured for 6 mths! I only caught on after checking bank statements and discovered that no money had been going out! They had somehow cancelled my insurance without me telling them or them telling me!
Ahhhhh ok, ive paid mine in full so im sweet at the moment, phew.....

LB
7th March 2004, 04:20
Hmmm, just find out who the underwriter is. When I lived in ChCh Eric Wood's was called "Eric the Hood". I had a pretty bad experience when I brought my 2nd bike from him (I was 17 at the time and he took full advantage of my inexperience). I saw a really nice Turono "Racing" model and was quite tempted by it (this was before the Brutale came into NZ) but in the end I decided I'd rather bite my arm off than spend another cent in his ship, let alone 3,0000,000 cents.
It took me a while to work out that 3,000,000 is thirty grand...right? (I'll get Hamish to check for me - he's numerate - I spend while I still have cheques left in the book)

Anyway, I haven't used Woods for insurance myself, so can't speak from personal experience, just knew that they did it (a guy from work has his bikes covered through them).

We used to call him "Wood the Hood".

Interestingly enough, the weekend before last I was in Chch by myself, on the Friday. I wandered in to all the bike shops in Manchester Street. I was wearing a Wanganui t-shirt, and my Ducati cap. (I did have my Ducati sunnies with me too, but I was holding them in my hand, and to be fair the laser etched word "Ducati" on the left lens is very subtle, even given how much they cost me......) (I'm not giving you a rundown on what I was wearing for the sake of it, but pointing out that even to someone who's not a rocket scientist it must have been reasonably obvious that I had a bit of an interest in motorcycles.) I spent about 10 minutes wandering round Woods, the girl behind the parts counter was on the phone and smiled at me, but there were about four salesmen walking around/talking to each other and not ONE of them made eye contact with me, let alone smiled or spoke with me, even just to say "hi". I was not impressed.

All of the other bike shops were great, the guys spoke to me and made intelligent bike conversation.

matthewt
7th March 2004, 10:25
It took me a while to work out that 3,000,000 is thirty grand...right? (I'll get Hamish to check for me - he's numerate - I spend while I still have cheques left in the book)

Yup, the Turono Racing is about 30k (maybe just over I can't remember)

but there were about four salesmen walking around/talking to each other and not ONE of them made eye contact with me, let alone smiled or spoke with me, even just to say "hi". I was not impressed.

But what is really amazing is that there is still a bike shop in NZ where the staff don't know you by sight yet :rolleyes:

matthewt
7th March 2004, 10:35
I was wearing a Wanganui t-shirt, and my Ducati cap. (I did have my Ducati sunnies with me too, but I was holding them in my hand, and to be fair the laser etched word "Ducati" on the left lens is very subtle, even given how much they cost me......) (I'm not giving you a rundown on what I was wearing for the sake of it, but pointing out that even to someone who's not a rocket scientist it must have been reasonably obvious that I had a bit of an interest in motorcycles.)

Maybe they just thought you were a pillion bimbo and were waiting for the Man to enter.

Ms Piggy
7th March 2004, 11:48
Ahhhhh ok, ive paid mine in full so im sweet at the moment, phew.....

Me too - had me worried for a minute there! :mellow:

Kickaha
7th March 2004, 12:52
But what is really amazing is that there is still a bike shop in NZ where the staff don't know you by sight yet :rolleyes:

They probably do recognsie her,but the realise if they start talking to her it is very hard to get her to be quiet again,so its safer to ignore her :lol:

Wenier
7th March 2004, 17:37
jus off topic for a tick Firefight do u have an 04 R1 ?

LB
7th March 2004, 17:51
They probably do recognsie her,but the realise if they start talking to her it is very hard to get her to be quiet again,so its safer to ignore her :lol:
Ah Kickaha, touche mate!!!!! (But don't forget I'm in your neck of the woods this coming weekend, so watch out!! :) )

Suzi Q
7th March 2004, 18:04
My husband and I use a broker in CHCH - David Golightly - the insurance is through Vero - used to be Royal SunAlliance. Cheaper than anyone else. We were paying just over a grand for my 2003 GSX750FK3 and his 2002 GS1200SS. When i got my first bike he gave me the full No claims discount that my husband had - this was through Eric Wood Motorcycles in CHCH and a few other Motorcycle shops in town use him as well. Best to do a ring around, good idea to use a broker - ring a few to get the best deal going. If you insure more than 1 thing you may get a discount as well. Don't go to State - too expensive. :confused:

Kickaha
7th March 2004, 20:09
Ah Kickaha, touche mate!!!!! (But don't forget I'm in your neck of the woods this coming weekend, so watch out!! :) )

hehehe,I will probably end up paying for that remark this weekend :moon:

marty
7th March 2004, 20:22
AMI won't do big bikes - they do my aprilia for around $400, but won't do anything bigger. mark joblin in hamilton does exotic cars & bikes, race cars & bikes etc. i got a quote of about $1000 for a 'busa, and $950 for litre bikes valued around $18k. national auto club was expensive compared. honda riders is cheaper, esp. if u have a hondaaaaaaa

Two Smoker
7th March 2004, 20:25
AMI did my dad's CBR1100XX but asked him a billion questions about his riding experience and previous bikes riden or owned. Hes 45 and it costs him like $1200:crazy:

Oscar
8th March 2004, 07:38
Classic Cover 0800 456 254
I did an article on insurance for Kiwi Rider a couple of years ago, and these guys came out best in the comparison if yer over thirty.

Wenier
8th March 2004, 12:05
im gonna have to remember all this for when i get a bigger bike wut kind of prices can u expect for a 636cc or 600cc bike when ill b 19yo ?

DEATH_INC.
8th March 2004, 12:20
I hate friggin insurance companies!!!!
The cheapest quote I could get for my 4wd (worth about $10,000,if you're lucky) was $2000 a year,and only one other would even insure me :ar15:
As for bikes,forget it,none would even consider it. :angry2:
Bunch of money sucking wankers......

Oscar
8th March 2004, 13:37
I hate friggin insurance companies!!!!
The cheapest quote I could get for my 4wd (worth about $10,000,if you're lucky) was $2000 a year,and only one other would even insure me :ar15:
As for bikes,forget it,none would even consider it. :angry2:
Bunch of money sucking wankers......

Oh, you poor lad.
Had a few claims have we?

Firefight
8th March 2004, 13:48
jus off topic for a tick Firefight do u have an 04 R1 ?

No I have a 04 R6

Firefight :crazy:

tlronny
9th March 2004, 05:22
Dave Golightly - VERO
My 'Busa costs me just under a grand and they were the cheapest I could find
Very good I thought !

Marknz
11th May 2004, 20:09
Dave Golightly came to the party for the new GSXR1000 at just under $1000 for full comprehensive cover when the next best was $1552.

B I G tick for Dave and Vero as far as I'm concerned.

maybe
11th May 2004, 20:14
Swann was by far the cheapest quote I got

Marknz
11th May 2004, 20:19
Swann came in at a little over $1600... strange how it works out innit.

The worst one was State who, despite the fact I have/had full contents insurance with them, wouldn't cover me unless I insured my house and car with them as well. Then I told them I didn't own a house or car... and that was pretty much the end of the conversation. Do you reckon my contents is still insured with State?

MadDuck
25th May 2004, 16:29
Has anyone got a contact number for this Golightly fella?

I have been ringing around for quotes for the bike and blown away by the difference in premiums and restrictions once over a 250cc. Most companies dont wanna insure bikes hence the reason for said maniac premiums.

Turns out better to crash than get the machine stolen for insurance returns anyway :beer:

Warren
25th May 2004, 16:42
For my little 150 with AMI insurance
for full insurance
I paid $229.50 after %40 no claims discount
Excess is $100 for fire&theft
$300 all other claims

I am still on my learners and the bike is worth $3000

Oscar
25th May 2004, 17:05
I just got my bill from ClassicCover.
The KTM is covered for 12k, the TDM for 6k.
The bill is just over $800, with a $500 excess.
I didn't think that was too bad...

marty
25th May 2004, 18:00
hey oscar did you buy that KTM that was on trade me?

Slim
25th May 2004, 18:16
Has anyone got a contact number for this Golightly fella?
It was posted in another recent motorcycle insurance thread, whereupon I called the guy, he gave me a great quote, sent me the paperwork, which I've just returned to him. :D

David Golightly 03 3572428

MadDuck
25th May 2004, 20:40
Ta Slim

I had wrong number written down and had no access to internet. Will call him tomorra.
At present have 2 quotes one $799 the other $636 - yep for the same bike and same restrictions, excess and all the bullshite (needless to say one is AMI - guess which huh?).

Although from what others are saying that aint too bad.

fastford111
25th May 2004, 21:41
my rsv1000 cost about $2500 a year and they wont touch my kawasaki 750 turbo over here in aussie :pinch:

Beemer
25th May 2004, 23:29
Oh Warren, you make me yearn for my old 150! I'm (definitely!) over 30 and now have to pay $770 a year to insure my BMW F650CS. Never had a claim, only one speeding ticket to my name and I think that's pretty steep. I was with AMI for the 150 but they wanted $1100 - not as bad as State, who wanted $1400!

rodgerd
26th May 2004, 07:50
Most of the mainstream companies will only offer insurance if you have other business with them (eg, car, house). When I got my first road bike (my wee Bandit) I did a ring around; Farmers' Mutual, who I have my house with, undercut everyone by about $200.

Also, some of the companies will only insure if you have a garage, and State would not insure against theft or vandalism, only a crash. They wanted over $800 a year for no theft protection!

Oscar
26th May 2004, 08:36
hey oscar did you buy that KTM that was on trade me?

Colemans Suzuki.
I loves it.

marty
26th May 2004, 09:12
Colemans Suzuki.
I loves it.
it has to be the most fun looking machine. have you mastered wheelies to work yet?

i just rang AMI to get some quotes, as I am looking at buying this week. I get a 40% no-claims discount, 36 years, didn't even ask if i had my licence (since 16 thankyou).

for any bike over 350cc, the excess matches the cc rating.

Hayabusa, 2001 model, $15000 value, $1017/annum full cover.
VFR800, 1998 model, $8000 value, $510/annum full cover.

and here is an interesting one - 3rd party insurance, for all bikes, regardless of size/year/value, has a $150 excess, and a $25 (yes $twenty five)/annum premium.

Oscar
26th May 2004, 09:19
it has to be the most fun looking machine. have you mastered wheelies to work yet?

i just rang AMI to get some quotes, as I am looking at buying this week. I get a 40% no-claims discount, 36 years, didn't even ask if i had my licence (since 16 thankyou).

for any bike over 350cc, the excess matches the cc rating.

Hayabusa, 2001 model, $15000 value, $1017/annum full cover.
VFR800, 1998 model, $8000 value, $510/annum full cover.

and here is an interesting one - 3rd party insurance, for all bikes, regardless of size/year/value, has a $150 excess, and a $25 (yes $twenty five)/annum premium.

I've never been that good at wheelies (but fer some reason I can do wicked stoppies), I'm gonna pick it up from Boyds later so I might practice.

Give Mark Joblin a call at Classic Cover - 0800 456 254 - he has great rates for over-35's (and despite the name will insure modern bikes).

marty
26th May 2004, 09:23
already done that. the busa works out the same price with joblin. the aprilia was about $50 dearer than AMI

Oscar
26th May 2004, 09:33
already done that. the busa works out the same price with joblin. the aprilia was about $50 dearer than AMI

Bugger. I'll tell him next time I see him....
Actually I was thinking aboout increasing the excess on the KTM. I only usually ride it on adventure rides, and have already dropped it at high speed on the dirt, which resulted in a broken head light lens (repl. cost $45). These things are so well built it would take a VERY big biff to result in a claim.

Slim
26th May 2004, 16:08
Have you tried Dave Golightly (number posted previously in this thread)? Could be worth your while.