PDA

View Full Version : Two Smoker's Round 1 Nationals 05 race report

Two Smoker
12th December 2005, 19:05
Hey everyone,

Well for a first, my week before the racing was full of rushing around and last minute preperations... I had a new steering damper to fit, and I needed to find a 43 tooth rear sprocket...

Well with the help and graciousness of some certain KB'ers (those guys being, Hoon, Quasievil and White Trash) I managed to get a 43 tooth rear sprocket and sprocket carrier (I left mine at coleman's, cheers Hoon) and a clamp to attatch my steering damper (cheers Quasi and WT) I was all sorted for the weekend.

I told Bugjuice to be at the track by 7am, so naturally I turned up late due to working on my bike until 2am. But once there i got all sorted, signed in, got the bike scruiteneered and officially had the ugliest looking bike there... I went and said my hello's to everyone around, and got my bike ready for the first practice with White Trash and Bugjuice frantically putting on the steering damper. Out i went and felt good but wasnt too happy with my braking at the hairpin or my entry speed into turn 1. But came back with a new personal best of 1:07.752 which put me 6th on the grid 0.004 seconds behind Derek Hill.

Well i thought about what i can improve on and was keen to get out for Qualifying... Once again I felt good out there and alot smoother. But still wasnt happy with my braking into the hairpin. I broke my personal best again and put down a 1:07.662 qualifying me 6th once again.

Race 1 was on, and I was very nervous. On the grid on the second row and ready, reving the motor and the lights went out, slip the clutch, and watch all the bikes go around me... Those SV650's have so much launching power... I managed to get reel a couple of bikes in on the first 3 corners and then got Geoff Booth under brakes... I then got into a good dice with Chris Bramely. It took me about 3 laps to get past him, and settled down to close up the 150 metre gap between myself and Derek Hill. Then on the next lap, Chris Bramely came up the inside of me on the back straight, and using his brakes got infront of me before the hairpin... I then got infront of him, by going around the outside of him coming up the hill, and around Jennian (those SV's are FAST). I was now infront and pushing hard, trying to brake at 120 metres, only to have the bike become unstable, and go too hot into the hairpin. This race was full of passing manuvoures between Chris and myself. On the last lap, he once again got me under brakes into the hairpin. I tried to get around the outside of him coming up the hill (which i did) but he used the SV's power and bet me by 0.080 of a second...

I wasnt happy with the brakes, so we took out the pads to find them very glazed over. I went and had a chat to a few people, and they recommended new pads. Me being poor couldnt afford that, so Jason Nairn recommended that I sand them down.

Race 2: Milky had arroived back from Aussie, so was able to help Bugjuice in the pits to work on my bike. With the help of Milky we sanded down the pads and i was ready to test them in the practice. They felt alot better in the first 3 laps, but began to fade in the last 3. We took them out and found that they had once again glazed over (in only 6 lps :( ) So once again sanded them down as well as giving the discs a quick sand. Race two was on, and i was determined to get a better start. YES finally i did, i had less bike pass me initially, but still a few did, making me work for it. I was stuck right behind Derek Hill and Mark Weller who were having a good dice with each other and passed Chris Bramley. I locked onto Chris Bramley and was braking at 120 metres and closing up in to corners quickly. In lap three i went around the outside of him coming up the hill, and then went around the outside of him into turn one, outbraking him into the esses to make a clean pass. I got a great drive out of Castrol and protected my line by staying close to the inside of the track, I braked as late as i could, and luckily i didnt see him come up the inside of me. I pushed as hard as i could up the hill and through turn one (i now go full throttle from the hairpin and through turn one)... I was quickly catching upto Derek Hill quickly.... (to be continued...)

k14
12th December 2005, 19:26
Awesome writeup man, u were kicking butt. Was cool to see the sparks flying from your footpegs whilst you were going over the hill. My writeup to come when i get round to it. Good to catch up.

sAsLEX
12th December 2005, 19:26
congrats !! waits for next installment:spudbooge

Zed
12th December 2005, 19:30
...I was quickly catching upto Derek Hill quickly.... (to be continued...)I can just tell you were enjoying yourself immensely Chris! :2thumbsup

Keep up the good work TS!

Firefight
12th December 2005, 19:31
hey Chris great write up mate, can't wait for the rest of it.

and good on you:rockon: buggy and :rockon: Milky for supporting Chris !

and all the others that have been helping you in one way or another.

firefight.

Two Smoker
12th December 2005, 19:32
(continued) I caught Derek coming up the hill, going around the outside of him. He used his 450's power and pulled away on the front straight, only for me to catch up in Castrol, where i went up the inside of him. He was frantically looking on the outside for me, and then he looked to the inside, where i waved at him (we had good laugh about this after the race) and i was going as late as i could braking into the hairpin, as i was just waiting for Chris Bramley to out brake me. I never saw Chris for the rest of the race, as he apparently crashed at Castrol (I later found out after the race had finished). Derek and i had many dices, with him pulling around 100-150 metres on the back straight, only for me to close it up again... I tried to get around the outside of Derek coming up the hill but he used his power and bet me by 0.381 of a second. That was an awesome race and really exciting, to top it of I got another personal best of 1:07.129 (I dont think the 400 will go any faster than that)

I wasnt happy with the brakes at all... Bugjuice and Chloe went and got a guy that represents EBC brakes. He said that they recommend you use EBC rotors with the brake pads. He also said that by rotors were burnt due to the pads glazing up, and that will effect the pads again. So Milky and I sanded down the pads and rotors for the next race.

Race three: the 15 lapper. Was much like the other races. I was having a great dice with Chris Bramley, where i would get infront for a few laps at a time, only for him to pass me on the back straight and out brake me into the hairpin... I thought i had it, i was infront of Chris and i saw the white flag. I pushed as hard as the bike could through turns 1, 2, 3 and 4. I was still infront and protecting my line... I braked very late..... ooh no, tooooo late. The back end was waving around and coming of the ground, i managed to stay ontop of it and turned in on the apex at a low speed. Chris Bramley used the torque and power of the SV to get one bike length infront of me out of the hairpin, I chased really hard, and went aroudn the outside of him coming up the hill, to be 1/4 of a bike length infront... Chris used that power and pulled away beating me by 0.106 of a second across the finish line... I was happy that we had a great race against each other, but gutted that my brakes werent upto scratch...

Im currently 7th on the Points table with 27 points.

Many many thanks to give out. Firstly to Chloe for coming out and supporting me on both race days :) and for Bugjuice and Milky working in the Pits. Thanks for the parts and help from Hoon, Quasi and especially White Trash. Also thanks to all the supporters that came down to watch, and all the racers that helped me with knowledge and parts... Thanks for letting me borrow the Van MR.

Just to let you guys know about my bike. It is a 1998 UK model ZXR400L8. Its motor is in very good condition. I have braided brake lines and a full exhaust system. My rear shock has a external oil resevoir due to it being stuffed, but this makes it virtually a stock shock. It also has a steering damper. Other than this my bike has no engine modifications, brake modifications (other than the lines) or suspension modifications.

If anyone can let me know if the know of anyone that has bettered my time around Puke on a stock ZXR, could you please let me know via PM....

Many many thanks to you guys,

Cheers, Chris

Two Smoker
12th December 2005, 19:39
Heres some photos:

Pic 1 is turn one at about 205-215kmh
Pic 2 is just getting pipped to the finish line
Pic 3 is myself gearing up to go racing

FROSTY
12th December 2005, 19:42
Chris--Gimme a yell about the brakes dude.

Motoracer
12th December 2005, 21:17
You are THE man bro! Not much more to say after that.

Keep it up. Top effort! :2thumbsup

bugjuice
12th December 2005, 21:53
you did bloody well over the weekend. That bike as it is, just can't go any faster now! And leaning it over so far that the peg and exhaust pipe show the lean angle against the tyre, that's impressive trust in tyres and your machine. Keep it up bro!

I also have those pics (and heaps more) in high res if you want any printed off

Racey Rider
12th December 2005, 21:53
GO THAT BOY!!:2thumbsup

:not:wwhhhhhhhHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOoooooo :not:
'Mexican Wave'

Wellyman
12th December 2005, 21:59
Hey Chris good racing man. All that sanding me and milky did really worked eh!
You went awsome in the second race what a pity I had to go home early becuase of other events. Keep up the good work!
WM

Kwaka-Kid
13th December 2005, 05:32
wicked stuff chris! great write up too.

All the best for down at manfield this weekend dude.

bugjuice
15th December 2005, 14:13
found another pic
just shows how hard your getting it into the hairpin

Milky
15th December 2005, 16:13
I don't know what you racers think or what is best technique wise, but it looks as if TS could be dropping that inside shoulder a little more - maybe straighten out the outside arm to bring the torso more to the centre of the turn... Any thoughts?

Hoon
15th December 2005, 16:25
Yeah I got heaps of riding advice for TS. If he works real hard and takes it all on board he might just be able to pull 1:10's like me! :)

Milky
15th December 2005, 16:47
haha... Until I go round Puke and find out how slow I am, there is a *slight* possibility that I am quicker than TS... Hence my advice is the right advice to take, and it shouldn't be questioned in any way ;)

Kwaka-Kid
15th December 2005, 20:48
fuckin nice chris! Hell yes that bike gets some angle thrown at it! But like, has anybody noticed chris's style is like totally different to what the majority of other racers is? In all the pics i see, his knee doesnt come out at such an angle, but his arse comes off a long way so his leg is kinda parallel to the bike still but out a foot or so? Is it just me? definatly looks weird! Im thinking its the way to go? Here i come arse-down! :)

Sensei
15th December 2005, 21:17
Good going TS . I'll have to give Bambe { Chris }shit next time I see him .
Go the Naki !!

Korea
16th December 2005, 03:56
found another pic
just shows how hard your getting it into the hairpin

Great action pix ~ wish I was there to enjoy it too.
...that pic looks like there's a bit of motocross-stylz in the elbows. Do a bit of off-road, eh?
Whateva works keep it up! :yeah:

Riff Raff
16th December 2005, 04:54
I don't know what you racers think or what is best technique wise, but it looks as if TS could be dropping that inside shoulder a little more - maybe straighten out the outside arm to bring the torso more to the centre of the turn... Any thoughts?
Why do what everyone else does? Is this the technique that has seen him getting faster each time? Will it work on a different bike, or will he have to adopt the same style as others? I don't know... all I see is that boy flying out there and getting better each time he does a race meeting. Well done Chris.

Posh Tourer :P
16th December 2005, 05:18
fuckin nice chris! Hell yes that bike gets some angle thrown at it! But like, has anybody noticed chris's style is like totally different to what the majority of other racers is? In all the pics i see, his knee doesnt come out at such an angle, but his arse comes off a long way so his leg is kinda parallel to the bike still but out a foot or so? Is it just me? definatly looks weird! Im thinking its the way to go? Here i come arse-down! :)

Yeah that would mean he gets a lot of his body mass off the bike, which would help going round corners. But, the mass off the bike is lower torso mass rather than upper torso mass... I think that higher weight is better?? Also, he looks far further forward than the others -more confidence in the front tyre then?? As for a parallel leg, I dont think there is room to stick his knee out.... :P

Anyway, if it works, it works....

Ride did a shot a while back comparing Rossi, Schwantz, Doohan, etc. They all have totally different riding styles, but they are all pretty quick.....

Anyway, awesome stuff Chris - I´m still working on a way to send you some dosh.....

Matt Bleck
16th December 2005, 21:36
Yeah you guys looked very busy sanding those pads...

Good luck at Manfield.

Two Smoker
19th December 2005, 21:37
Cheers everyone... My style changes with the bike. As people have seen, i used to hang of the RG150 like a monkey... The reason i dont stick my knee out that much on the 400 is because the seating position is quite low so my knee is getting sandwiched between the fairing and the track, meaning i cant stick it out that much...

Posh Tourer :P
20th December 2005, 02:57
Milky you are turning into a Tim!!....