PDA

View Full Version : FFM M7

jimbo600
12th December 2005, 20:12
Got one of these the other day. Now I know there are a few nay sayers who will condemn a cheap lid but let me tell you this. I was wearing a FFM VGS when I smacked up the 750 and went for a huge slide on my face. The lid did a grade A job of protecting my delicate noggin. Anyway on to the M7. A great but of gear. It looks the bizzo, is quiet, and get this for the first time ever vents that are easy to operate (pushclick open pushclick close) and work. All the inside is removable so it's easy to wash. The strap pulls through double d rings and it was a neat fastner to prevent the excess flapping around in the wind. Looks like a top of the range Arai too. I tell ya if your in the market for another helmet you should go and check one out. Comfy on long rides too.

James Deuce
12th December 2005, 20:14
How much Mr?

White trash
12th December 2005, 20:14
Looks like when you went for a big slide on your face you bumped your head.

That looks NOTHING like an Arai. Shame you didn't get any prettier at the same time.......

jimbo600
12th December 2005, 20:19
How much Mr?

Around $300 nicker.

jimbo600
12th December 2005, 20:23
Looks like when you went for a big slide on your face you bumped your head.

That looks NOTHING like an Arai. Shame you didn't get any prettier at the same time.......

You dissin' me man?

I'm reeet gorgeous I am. Anyway it looks just like an Arai. It's got a hole to put your head in and an aperture to see out of. Even a strap to hold it on....just like an Arai.

Riff Raff
12th December 2005, 20:25
You dissin' me man?

I'm reeet gorgeous I am. Anyway it looks just like an Arai. It's got a hole to put your head in and an aperture to see out of. Even a strap to hold it on....just like an Arai.

I think you're dead sexy Jimbo. Just don't tell the skinny bugger.

jimbo600
12th December 2005, 20:28
I think you're dead sexy Jimbo. Just don't tell the skinny bugger.

Phwar...how YOU doin'

White trash
12th December 2005, 20:33
Phwar...how YOU doin'

Right! Where's them gloves at?

Dafe
12th December 2005, 20:36
Thug for hire!!! Xmas rates available...... :bash:

jimbo600
12th December 2005, 20:36
Right! Where's them gloves at?

I'm guessing they're on the floor now aka ice hocky styles.

loosebruce
24th December 2005, 00:47
I'm guessing they're on the floor now aka ice hocky styles.

For some reason a mental picture of WT with ice skates on has got me pissing myself imensely.

On a side note, cheap lids are getting better and better, my HJC cost me a shy over the $200 mark and although it's noticeably heavier than my AC-10 which retailed at close to a $1000, but still a mint lid.

And i think it looks like an Arai Jimbo

XTC
24th December 2005, 20:07
Naa..... Looks better than an arai.... My last lid was an Arai and it was bloody noisy. Bought an HJC and am very happy with it. Super quiet also but then I always ride with ear plugs.

kro
30th December 2005, 18:46
cherry lid dude, all good.

Sensei
30th December 2005, 21:00
When all the racers start wearing them Eg GP , SBK, Etc then they may be looked at as a safe helmet , but until then I'll just trust my Cheap $800 Shoei to hold my Brains together . You pay the price for what you think your head is worth I guess

SPman
30th December 2005, 21:23
A good article about cheaper helmets vs expensive helmets, their testing and effectiveness, here
http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

XTC
30th December 2005, 22:28
A good article about cheaper helmets vs expensive helmets, their testing and effectiveness, here
Wow.... Good article but bloody long!

loosebruce
31st December 2005, 00:11
but until then I'll just trust my Cheap $800 Shoei to hold my Brains together . You pay the price for what you think your head is worth I guess

Why the hell aren't helmets free for me then?????

Bren_chch
31st December 2005, 10:55
On a side note, cheap lids are getting better and better, my HJC cost me a shy over the $200 mark and although it's noticeably heavier than my AC-10 which retailed at close to a $1000, but still a mint lid.

I got the same lid as you, good lid, but yeah heavier than the more pricey brands. I picked up an Arai a few days ago, it felt 50% lighter. woooop!

Does your HJC sit low on the brow line... could just be my weird shaped head?

Ixion
31st December 2005, 13:57
I got the same lid as you, good lid, but yeah heavier than the more pricey brands. I picked up an Arai a few days ago, it felt 50% lighter. woooop!

Does your HJC sit low on the brow line... could just be my weird shaped head?

I found this with my HJC. It sat too low. And the bottom was so far below the jaw line that the wind got under it and tried to lift it off my head (naked bike). So I padded up the top(the bit that sits on top of y'r bonce) by slipping in a bit of cardboard and foam rubber until it sat about the same as my old FFM (best helmet ever!). Vast improvement.

Bytor
23rd November 2006, 15:56

Looking at a new lid and thought I'd bump this link as it makes interesting reading if you think a $800 helmet is better than a cheapy - makes ya wonder.

It's long but worth it. What's really interesting is that no one really knows what's the best way to test them, but the cheaper Polycarbonate one's generated less g-force on impact so reducing the chance of severe brain injury compared to the more expensive fibreglass one's which are stiffer.

I know that there are other factors in choosing helmets such as fit, components and graphics, but are Arai's and Shoei's better than the likes of FFM?

vifferman
23rd November 2006, 16:10
Why the hell aren't helmets free for me then?????
By that logic, where can I find a shop that will pay me to wear a helmet? My heid/brane is defnittly a liability.

pete376403
23rd November 2006, 16:35
to me possibly the biggest downside of a very expensive (say $800 +) helmet is that you're going tobe very reluctant to replace it if it's been involved in a minor bang. My bro-in-law dropped his bike on the 'Tukas a while back, and his very nice Shoei took a bit of a smack - paint is damaged but no real VISIBLE indication that it has been compromised. Does he keep using it and hope it's ok or bite the bullet and replace? (insurance won't cover full cost of replacement, bastard State have depreciated the hell out of it in a little over a year)
I've got an FFM (plain white, flip front, $100) and that will be binned on it's third anniversary, whether it gets hit or not

Tim 39
21st December 2006, 19:47
to me possibly the biggest downside of a very expensive (say $800 +) helmet is that you're going tobe very reluctant to replace it if it's been involved in a minor bang. My bro-in-law dropped his bike on the 'Tukas a while back, and his very nice Shoei took a bit of a smack - paint is damaged but no real VISIBLE indication that it has been compromised. Does he keep using it and hope it's ok or bite the bullet and replace? (insurance won't cover full cost of replacement, bastard State have depreciated the hell out of it in a little over a year)
I've got an FFM (plain white, flip front, $100) and that will be binned on it's third anniversary, whether it gets hit or not
I would definately agree there! your better off with a new good condition cheaper helmet in my opinion, as that article said, the fibreglass etc ones delaminate to absorb the energy, so imagine how well off you are riding round with a pre-delaminated helmet, from the last time you crashed!!!

bert_is_evil
22nd December 2006, 08:48
bastard State have depreciated the hell out of it in a little over a year

Go AMI! I've claimed on the gear I damaged in my bin at Taupo trackday including my helmet, the chick that did my claim said she was supposed to depreciate it all using clothing tables but didn't "as it's not something you wear every day". I got a really reasonable pay out, have made several claims on helmets and they've always been very good about it.

mitchilin
22nd December 2006, 21:25
I bought one off these last week.Seems to be a half decent lid.Didn't pay $300 for it.It was $199 at Holeshot.Don't plan on impact testing it any time soon.