PDA

View Full Version : open road riding

bigbadwolf
13th December 2005, 11:09
i'm getting a bike very soon and am planning on riding from christchurch to wanaka around new years, is there anything important i should know about open road riding before i discover it the hard way? :slap:

P.S. what do you think of this?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=42913775

XTC
13th December 2005, 11:11
One thing you should know is that Honda eve 50cc scooters are real scary on the open road.... Just thought you'd like to know that.

P.S the GPX is a great bike and very reliable and cheap to own too. Just sound a bit rattly at idle... They all do so don't be surprised.

Devil
13th December 2005, 11:15
i'm getting a bike very soon and am planning on riding from christchurch to wanaka around new years, is there anything important i should know about open road riding before i discover it the hard way? :slap:

P.S. what do you think of this?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=42913775
Make sure you stay warm. Dont wait till you're cold before putting extra clothing on. (Feels funny saying that sitting in stupid muggy weather up here, but you never know).

Have a break every so often.

JWALKER
13th December 2005, 11:22
how long you going down to wanaka ofr?, is just you riding down or what?

Sniper
13th December 2005, 11:27
Ride safe, keep warm, keep a lookout, ride safe, don't try prove anything to anybody, ride safe, keep to a pace you are happy with and not attracting unwanted attention, ride to your limits, ride safe.

Oh yea, ride safe

bigbadwolf
13th December 2005, 11:29
im almost definitely selling my car this weekend (its advertised really cheap) because i dont want to take it down to uni in dunedin next year, and then im buying a bike and gettin my learners next week. gonna ride down to wanaka for a huge new years party then stayin with some mates until the end of january and hopefully gettin a job there too. and yea at the moment its just me riding down :scooter:

Sniper
13th December 2005, 11:36
Theres lots of good advice that will be offered mate. Listen to it. Some of it may sound like old fogeys talking but it could well and truely save your life.

Remember as well that while you are out and riding, you don't have to prove anything to anybody, thats just asking for trouble.

bugjuice
13th December 2005, 11:40
make sure you know your fuel range! and get the bike checked over (if you aren't sure) before you head off. Last thing you want is bike trouble. And drink plenty too (but not so much that you have to stop every 5 mins for a pee!)

and most of all, ride easy and enjoy it ;)

Drum
13th December 2005, 12:20
Ride within your ability and look where you want to go, not where youre going!

Best advice I ever got.

sAsLEX
13th December 2005, 12:39
And drink plenty too (but not so much that you have to stop every 5 mins for a pee!)
Of water etc he should of said and dont ride drunk or hungover!

bugjuice
13th December 2005, 12:41
well durrrrr.....

Sniper
13th December 2005, 12:47
well durrrrr.....

Yea, you learnt the hard way though. I heard the story. :bleh:

bugjuice
13th December 2005, 12:50
well they said 'here, try some of this piss, it's good..'

didn't know they actually meant piss.. was tangy and all sorts..

Sniper
13th December 2005, 13:00
well they said 'here, try some of this piss, it's good..'

didn't know they actually meant piss.. was tangy and all sorts..

Never heard of it being "tangy". Sure it was piss?

Marmoot
13th December 2005, 13:30
You know all the cautionary tales thrown at you when you wish to purchase a bike?
Multiply them by 4, as accidents on open road tends to happen at higher speeds than normal road....and everybody knows: The Faster You Go, The Bigger The Mess.

Thank Scumdog :niceone:

Ixion
13th December 2005, 16:09
Don't try to bite off too much at a time. Stop often - even every 100km if you're not used to touring, stretch, relax, have a coffee (take a thermos if you can't afford coffee shops) . If it's sunny soak up some sun for 10 minutes. What others said about keeping warm and hydrated.

Enjoy the TRIP for itself, not just as a destination.

Keep way to your own side of the road in corners, cos Harry Huriup likes those roads too, and he always drives right down the centre line. take it easy in the tricky bits, make up time with a bit of blattery on the safe stretches. Ride fast, ride safe.

onearmedbandit
13th December 2005, 16:30
Watch out for crosswinds, and if you are affected by them keep an eye on 'buffer' zones such as hedges etc. You may be shelterted by a hedge but when the hedge stops you'll get knocked around by the wind.

sunhuntin
13th December 2005, 18:07
if you possibly can, do some local open road riding first...those wind blockers can be mongrels when they end. i forgot to check where you were from, but the foxton strait is a wonderful place to learn all about it!

yep, dress warm even if its hot, take a clear visor if you dont have one [for night rides] if you get tired, pull over and rest as soon as possible and even sleep [if sleeping by the bike stick your arm through the front wheel spokes] take wet weather gear, sunglasses/tinted visor. ride any time except for sunrise/set, cos if you are facing into it, its very hard to see, and if it hits your mirror, also very hard to see!!

all in all, enjoy the trip and dont forget the camera!

raster
13th December 2005, 19:05
Thats quite a nice looking gpx, if it's been sitting for some time(low K's), make sure you change all fluids and lubricate the cables, a dry cable can snap very quickly. Sometimes better to get a bike thats been used than one thats sitting.

Don't take any risks passing and watch for dicks pulling out to pass while your passing.

But if your on your learners you'll probly have more people pass you, don't travel too close to the left, left wheel track fine. Try not to hold people up, they get pissed off and take risks.

Watch for gravel, nearly binned my bike first night I had it pulling off onto a gravel drive way, not used to the touchy brakes.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Oh yea: don't lean on the handle bars, let the wind hold you up.

:banana:

Highlander
13th December 2005, 19:23
Plenty of advise already offered here, HEAPS more in the unwritten rules thread and survival skill sections on this site.

To burgle one of the other comments, never ride at more than 90% of your ability - you never know when you'll need the other 10%.

Failing that, keep it rubber side down (Shiny side up)

Enjoy the ride.

tracyprier
13th December 2005, 19:24
That is a nice tidy looking bike.

Take in all of the above advise matey, it is the distilled essence of MANY years collective experience on two wheels... some of it hard won too.

I'd say make sure you really "switch on". In a cage you can sort of relax your mind sometimes and get away with it... not concentrating and the like but on a bike, doing that can be deadly.

I'm not meaning you have to be hyped up, just alert and in touch with what's going on around you.

Don't forget, this is the silly season and it's called that for a bloody good reason.

Have fun and ride safe (or did you mention that sniper ;) )

ZorsT
13th December 2005, 19:29
[if sleeping by the bike stick your arm through the front wheel spokes]

why is this?

Matt Bleck
13th December 2005, 19:43
...and this pearl of advise that has been quoted time and time again,

ride like everyone else on the road is trying to kill you!!

take care.

Eurodave
13th December 2005, 20:01
Regarding luggage, try not to wear a big back pack,is bloody tiring & uncomfortable over any distance!:slap:
Better to get yourself a pair of throwover soft cordura panniers that you can bungy to the pillion seat, try to load them evenly ,weight wise,each side.
If you need more space, bungy a roll bag behind you for your sleeping bag or any other light but bulky items & you could try a magnetic tankbag as well for your wallet /thermos/tools/camera etc etc. Hope this helps,welcome to the world of two wheels & enjoy!!!!:2thumbsup

Unit
13th December 2005, 20:19
Those wind zones are the ones that caught me out when I was first learning to ride. Watch for truck coming the other way, they can really buffer you about. Chch to Wanaka is a big trip, you need to get a few Ks under your belt first. Know your bike, ALWAYS ride with your headlight on, be seen. Keep a wary eye out for absolutely everyone else on the road and dont assume they will do what they should. Remember that sadly there are cage drivers out there that really dislike bikes and like to unsettle us. Dont push yourself especially when you are feeling tired. Make sure someone knows when you are leaving and when you expect to arrive at your next destination, especially when your travelling alone. same principal as boating. Tuck in and ride with other bikes at your speed whenever you can, there is safety in numbers. Most of all enjoy yourself, it will be a memorable ride.:msn-wink:

bigbadwolf
14th December 2005, 10:03
oh and another thing, im not really sure what i should be wearing on long journeys in terms of safety stuff, what are the basic requirements apart from a good helmet?

scumdog
14th December 2005, 10:12
oh and another thing, im not really sure what i should be wearing on long journeys in terms of safety stuff, what are the basic requirements apart from a good helmet?

A good pair of 'tough-as' gloves, likewise a pair of good solid boots.
And a good jacket, also if you can afford it a pair of draggin jeans or leather trousers.

Given your probable speeds and inexperience I would say one of those flouro road-worker type vests could be a good thing to help make you visible - remember, most bikes get hit by cars 'cos the driver 'never saw him'.

Keep away from gravel, slow down if the road is wet and allow yourself a HEAP of a gap between you and the vehicle on front - can't beat a shit-load of nice fresh air between you and any object you don't want to hit.:2thumbsup

XP@
14th December 2005, 10:27
Regarding luggage, try not to wear a big back pack,is bloody tiring & uncomfortable over any distance!:slap:
Better to get yourself a pair of throwover soft cordura panniers that you can bungy to the pillion seat, try to load them evenly ,weight wise,each side.
If you need more space, bungy a roll bag behind you for your sleeping bag or any other light but bulky items & you could try a magnetic tankbag as well for your wallet /thermos/tools/camera etc etc. Hope this helps,welcome to the world of two wheels & enjoy!!!!:2thumbsup

Also make sure there are no dangley bits... having your rear trye stop at 100kph ain't fun!

Carrying luggage - Kiwi Biker forums
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=20645

sunhuntin
14th December 2005, 11:20
i suggested sleeping with your arm through the spokes so if for any reason your bike moves, youll be able to feel it and wake up. read it on one of the american sites some time back

for riding gear...dress warm and prepare for wet weather. lid, with clear and tinited visors [or sunglasses!] good solid gloves, i wear a leather jacket over a jersey with hood when travelling out of town and also leather pants over jeans. steel cap cowboy boots are my favourites [wearing rebs at the moment] might also pay to take two pairs of gloves....if one gets wet they can dry without leaving your hands exposed.

if you pull over to let a big truck go past, i suggest stopping fully rather than just slowing down. i tried that once with a milk tanker and felt like i was going to sucked under.

with luggage, carry a minimum on your person. i make use of pockets for things like wallet, cell phone etc. small light things that you may need in a hurry. i also have a top box, which is handy for big bulky things or fragiles [cell phone if travelling long distance].
the top box means i can bungy things on to the brackets, so normally the back pack gets strapped on tight and filled with things i may need fast [wet weather gear, food/water etc] look on trademe for a cargo bungy net...they are great for holding things that wont otherwise fit, and also sticking wet things under so they dry while you travel

skelstar
14th December 2005, 11:37
Dont put hard sharp objects in your jacket pockets. If you fall off and tumbled down the road, what ever is in your pocket will stab you. Bottles of Red Bull is an excellent example of this :).

Mostly: keep in mind these points of advice, but make sure that you relax and enjoy yourself. For some people its a buzz travelling long-distances, and I could think of worse parts of the country to travel through :).

bigbadwolf
14th December 2005, 11:48
oh i'll definitely enjoy it, i always enjoy the open road!!! especially going from queenstown to wanaka on the crown range, so many corners... mmmm.... i found some gear on trademe, is this stuff decent?

Jackets:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=42659816
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=43001747

Boots (are these MX ones? im not sure):
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=42921585

Gloves:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=42747524

sunhuntin
14th December 2005, 16:02
with gloves, it pays to try on before you buy, as some can be too long in the fingers....dunno about anyone else, but i cant ride with excess finger room. the ones you posted look ideal.

Unit
14th December 2005, 17:16
Also make sure there are no dangley bits... having your rear trye stop at 100kph ain't fun!
Gotta watch them dangly bits alright, mmmmmm:doobey: Ive gotta say Im really impressed by the great response youve had with this thread, its been good to hear all the different things people think about when they go out on their bikes.:2thumbsup

SARGE
14th December 2005, 17:28
watch out for Diesel on the road... wet weather especially.. by the time you see the rainbow, its too late..

bigbadwolf
14th December 2005, 17:48
Ive gotta say Im really impressed by the great response youve had with this thread, its been good to hear all the different things people think about when they go out on their bikes

yea its been absolutely brilliant a, thanks very much everyone!!! :2thumbsup now iv just got to sell my car by this weekend so i can get that sexy gpx... im doin the basic handling course and the theory test next monday, so i will be right out there gettin lots of kms done so im ready for the trip. hope i see some of you guys out there :yes:

:rockon:

PS im likin the look of the boots on trademe (link above), but can someone please tell me whether im being an idiot and lookin at motorcross boots instead of road ones? i cant tell the difference and it doesnt mention either...

Eurodave
14th December 2005, 18:20
PS im likin the look of the boots on trademe (link above), but can someone please tell me whether im being an idiot and lookin at motorcross boots instead of road ones? i cant tell the difference and it doesnt mention either...

They look like a good pair of road, sports/touring boots to me!:2thumbsup

raster
15th December 2005, 08:21
Jacket and pants, I've got removable linings in mine, fantastic, just make sure you can put them somewhere when you take the linings out.
Some have zip vents too.

If your too hot you dehidrate quicker than you would expect.

Good luck on your car, I sold mine and the money was in the bank for 24hours, usually it doesn't even get to the bank.

bigbadwolf
15th December 2005, 09:39
aargh nobody wants my car because it has quite high kms... but i've dropped the price by nearly $1000 and its advertised in 3 car forums,the buy-sell and the press this weekend so wish me luck!!! and some more luck for finding a good bike before new years!!! dam, i should have bought a bike in the first place...

EDIT: someone is comin around to look at the car tonight, then going to look at the GPX!!!

EDIT 2: went and saw the gpx, wow. its in really good condition, low kms, sounds great, no rust, was completely done over by trevor pierce motorcycles when imported 3 years ago so is mint as

sefer
16th December 2005, 13:01
Good luck on selling your car. My little bit of advice on that would be to set a realistic price and stick to in, even if it isn't selling over a few weeks. If people see that your lowering the price a lot regularly they'll think one of two things:
1: There is something wrong with it so you can't sell it.
2: If I wait long enough I'll get it for less.

In saying that if people are looking and you do need to sell say you'll take offers (personally I never say what I'll take, just that I'm open to offers, I've made some coin on item that I would have accepted less for that way :) )

Re: the bike, sounds good I hope it goes well for you. I'm the second owner of my bike which Trevor Peirce also imported a year or two back and it was great to see that when I went in there one day he remembered selling it, and a few things that had happened to it since then ;) In saying that make sure you do get someone in the know to check it out, a lot could of happened to it since then, and while it may look shiny and perfect when you first look at it, once you own it and have time to have a good look you'll find any flaws (hopefully not bad ones :) )

Good luck :)

oldrider
16th December 2005, 22:59
I have quickly looked through the above posts and the advice is good but I have a couple of thoughts to emphasise.

Without trying to treat you like an idiot there are things that can catch you out.

Your riding skills change drastically when you get tired or cold. :bye:

Where you look is where you go!

Don't stare at things on the road that you can't identify always look where you want to or should be going, set good safe lines.

Ask yourself, do you really know how to steer a bike on the open road? If you don't know, ask someone who does.

Train yourself to ride in your own space especially in the rain.

This has been said a lot but just to reinforce it.

Every one else is out to kill you, in ways you haven't even thought of, YET! They have and are thinking up new ones right now.

Good luck and enjoy your ride and your bike. :niceone: Might meet you on the road some day. Cheers John.

Jantar
16th December 2005, 23:23
Christchurch to Wanaka this time of year is a great first long ride. I would suggest that you plan to stop at Ashburton, Geraldine, Tekapo, Omarama and Tarras. Get off your bike and stretch your legs, have a drink of water or unsweetened fruit juice, eat little but often, and refuel at Omarama whether you need it or not. If you run out of fuel in the lindis its a long push.

Make sure that you are dressed for the conditions. Once you are west of Burkes Pass the air is likely to be very dry and you can dehydrate quite quickly. Others have already said to make sure you keep warm, but in McKenzie country and Central Otago it is also easy to overheat. If your helmet is one with vents then make sure that they are all open.

If you are riding at the same speed as vehicles in front then place yourself so that you can the driver/rider in front through his/her mirrors. If you can't see him then he can't see you.

On the section approaching Lindis Pass I would suggest that you ride in one gear lower than you would expect to and don't lug the motor. It is a long uphill push and lots of vehicles tend to overheat up there.

bigbadwolf
17th December 2005, 08:56
Ask yourself, do you really know how to steer a bike on the open road? If you don't know, ask someone who does.

so how do i steer a bike on the open road? i'm doing a training course on monday so i will ask them there, and im gonna get a fair bit of local riding done before the trip, but any pointers would be great!

oldrider
17th December 2005, 09:21
so how do i steer a bike on the open road? i'm doing a training course on monday so i will ask them there, and im gonna get a fair bit of local riding done before the trip, but any pointers would be great!
You are on the right track, they will explain how you combine everything, how you co-ordinate vision, body position and wieght with what is generally called counter steering.
You will get it right and you will then be practicing every moment of the journey, thats what is so enjoyable about riding a bike compared to a cage.
It's not like riding a push bike or you will end up in the shit as you increase your speed.
When you go off road it all changes again.
You will know when you get it right because it feels soooh gooood. Must rush going out on my bike. Cheers john.

raster
18th December 2005, 16:09
The biggest thing I've found is don't try and lean the bike, if you want to turn right, steer left, then follow the corner, keep your body upright to the bike and tilt your head level with the horizon and look to the exit of the corner, but also watch for debris on the road, dramaticly reduce amount of front braking in loose gravel.

I've also found the bike will lean further than you may expect so if you find your going too wide on a corner,(unless you've completely over done it), let the bike lean a little further rather than getting in the gravel.

Best thing is don't enter corners too hot, power out.

Always look for an excape route.

N

sunhuntin
19th December 2005, 15:48
on the toy run, the route we took had heaps of corners and was very narrow. i figured out to let the engine carry me through and then accelerate gently out of it....not too much to allow for the next corner. this also helped me stay on my side of the road...on sharp uphill corners i have a habit of using too much power and going over the line, something i am working to correct.

RnB Fan
19th December 2005, 20:21
It's a beautiful part of the country that you'll be travelling through. As a reasonably new rider my advice is to leave lots of room between you and whatever is in front of you. I was unpleasantly surprised the first time I had to stop my bike from 100kmh in a hurry. Space is your friend. Have fun and be safe.

Wellyman
19th December 2005, 20:24
good advice, tuck your pants into your boots ( cold air makes your legs cold.) and wear a scarf around your neck or you get a cold neck.

Swoop
19th December 2005, 21:09
An old quote that I keep in back of my mind...
"It's better to go into a corner slowly and come out fast, rather than going into a corner fast and not come out at all".

Enjoy your trip!

Virago
19th December 2005, 22:59
Around the main tourist spots (Wanaka, Q'town etc), watch the campervans (and other obvious tourists) carefully - they can often be a bit unpredictable.:blink:

Looking forward to seeing you down this way at Uni next year!:2thumbsup

bigbadwolf
20th December 2005, 08:39
wow thanks for all the advice, people were right saying i should listen to all of it!!! i got my learners yesterday morning, but the car is still sitting outside, laughing at me, knowing that nobody wants to take it off my hands... :crybaby: so i severely doubt i'll have a bike by new years... :brick: but ill keep tryin, and hopefully i see some of you guys around when i finally do get on to 2 wheels :D

sunhuntin
20th December 2005, 14:46
good advice, tuck your pants into your boots ( cold air makes your legs cold.) and wear a scarf around your neck or you get a cold neck.

as an alternative to a scarf...go to savemart and buy a cheap skivvy. get someone to cut the neck off in a large square...big enough to go partway down both your chest and back. really stops the air getting in.

raster
20th December 2005, 20:21
as an alternative to a scarf...go to savemart and buy a cheap skivvy. get someone to cut the neck off in a large square...big enough to go partway down both your chest and back. really stops the air getting in.

Great Idea, I'm gonna try that one.

sunhuntin
20th December 2005, 22:57
Great Idea, I'm gonna try that one.

when cutting, use pinking shears [ones that leave a jagged edge: ^^^^^] or else get someone to hem the edges to stop them from fraying. you can buy them ready made overseas...they are called "dickies" lmfao. wash them before use if you buy new as i had a nasty experience when the color ran during a heavy rainstorm...ruined a brand new rally shirt. if you leave long enough flaps, they can help keep your chest and back warm.

:niceone: