PDA

View Full Version : Auckland: Puke open day. March 29, 2003

SpankMe
14th February 2003, 12:19
With Track Time 4 coming up, many people have been asking about orginizing a trip to a Pukekohe open day. A Saturday open day would be the easiest for everyone to attend and there is only one before TT4. So myself, moose and PlayerX and going on March 29. Hope to see many more forum members there.

Coldkiwi
28th February 2003, 16:17
Oh yes... I'll be there!

Can't make the track time but I've just got some new Pirelli's mmm... very sticky :)... so you can count on me to be there giving them death!

perryd
2nd March 2003, 10:46
Sounds good.... I need some more track time!:done:

Coldkiwi
4th March 2003, 11:04
Hey spankme, (no, not like that)... How do we pay for that? Do we need to pre-book or just roll into the office on the day? How much is it again?

SpankMe
4th March 2003, 12:06
$80, pay on the day.

wkid_one
4th March 2003, 14:46
Questions:

1. Learner riders are allowed at the open day?

2. Cordura Suits etc v leathers - track time is stricter than open days

3. Is this a bike only open day - or will there be car classes as well?

I'll be there to absolutely shag my rennsports - yee hah.  Just got new footpegs that have no hero blobs and are higher - bring it on

SpankMe
4th March 2003, 15:44
Any rider with a license can attend.

They are not as strict on bike gear as the guys at Track Time. I've done open days with leather jacket and wet weather trousers.

The day is open to all vehicles. They usually give each vehicle type (v8, bike, jappa, porche) 10-15 mins each.

Coldkiwi
4th March 2003, 16:51
right... so don't tell any car owners!

I'd just like to say though... for any learners going out there... wear the best gear you can.. beg or borrow cause I don't want to think about coming off in jeans at the best of times, let alone at over 100k

Can't wait.. just got the new sliders sewn on too. I might have to do some sneaky work with the sandpaper though if I get to chicken on the 6R ;)

wkid_one
23rd March 2003, 19:25
I am going down (need to shag the Renners seeing as I now had a plug in the rear from my recent flatty)...

Who else is going from KiwiBiker, coz it would be a good show of numbers and a chance for everyone to meet one another........

I will be there, Yellow VTR........let's make a day of it......

I am trying to tee up a BBQ to be there for the day as well.......

My Advice to those going:  Take a bikes on a trailer, with plates etc off, if you stack, back on trailer and it appears on the road having an accident a week later - no insurance hassles

twistymover
25th March 2003, 03:47
Do you know what time of day for the bikes and cars etc. or do we find out on arrival?

SpankMe
25th March 2003, 15:29
The track day will start at 10:30am. Since it's a Saturday, it could be busy so I have no idea when the bikes will be let on. I suggest meeting at the Autobahn for all those who are going down from Auckland and we will leave there at 9:45am. I also suggest taking some food and drink. At previous open days, none of the food stalls were open.

This is assumimg the weather is good, but the forcast is looking bleak. It's its raining I ain't going.

KiwiDan
25th March 2003, 17:10
For anyone interested , I will have my GSXR 1000 at the ride day ( Sat ) for viewing, Bring ya $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dan

Coldkiwi
25th March 2003, 17:30
one careful elderly lady owner right Dan?;)

I'd rate the use of a BBQ quite highly on the day! Is that still a go-er Wkid?

bluninja
25th March 2003, 17:47
With the comments about trailers to get the bikes there....it would be great if people going with spare bike spaces would post for those who want to come to some arrangement to fill their hole (so to speak). Not decided if I'll pop along yet, depends on the weather (both track accidents have been in damp or wet weather so I don't fancy adding another damp mishap to the list).

TTFN

Coldkiwi
26th March 2003, 17:41
I'll be going unless it's pissing down. Does anyone know if they charge $80 per person or per vehicle? I

want to take the 250 and 600 (but if that's the case I won't have any room for more bikes) but not if they're going to sting me $160 for the privelege of using both of them. Otherwise I'll be just riding out there

SpankMe
26th March 2003, 17:52
$80 per vehicle.

twistymover
27th March 2003, 00:19
10-20 minutes doesn't seem very long for $80! Is that for bikes on their own or all riding together?
A guy I know who has a V8 Holden wants to have a go sometime.I told him about Saturday, but I think he needs to belong a V8 car website. Could anybody recommend one? Ta.

Coldkiwi
27th March 2003, 12:38
$80 per vehicle? ARSE!

Nevermind... time to sell the 250 then!

now if only the weather would clear up...

Coldkiwi
27th March 2003, 12:39
twisty.. the $80 is for teh day. Sessions are run for different classes in 10-20minute stints.. so providing there's not a plethora of vehicles, you should get at least 4 stints in during a day

wkid_one
27th March 2003, 20:14
I'll be there - if it is raining, I don't think I will chance the Renners - no grooves within 1.5inches of the edge - I THINK NOT!!!

BBQ - well I will have it if I trailer - but at this stage it looks like I will ride........

If anyone is keen, and wants to ride a diff bike - see me.....(Logan - this is not an offer for you to start TIRE TESTING on the VTR!)

Should be a good day - especially seeing as my bike is no longer a 500cc single like it was for the last 2 days when the rear pot decided to stop sparking - FECK...........typically V'Twin, shook itself to fecken pieces and broke a wire from the CDI to the Coil.....nice.......

PS:  Haldanes did a fantastic job of helping salvage and repair the bike!!

Hoon
28th March 2003, 15:25
Bahhh I was going to go as my track RGV250 still needs more tuning but it looks like it may be pissing down now!!

But yep definately bring food as there is no food there and getting out can be a hassle because you have to wait to cross the track with your vehicle.

P.S.  If anyone knows of anybody selling cheap RGV parts please let me know...esp go-faster-race-parts!!!

SpankMe
29th March 2003, 17:44
The motorbike gods smiled upon us today and cleared the skies for a good day at the race track. Happy to see a reasonable turnout of Kiwi Biker members. :)

Only one accident when PlayerX didn't quite make a corner and flipped his bike after going onto the grass. But he managed to bend everything back into place for the ride home.

wkid_one
30th March 2003, 11:42
Coldkiwi blazing 1.12's every lap! (apart from the second session)

wkid_one
30th March 2003, 11:44
Steve on the TL

wkid_one
30th March 2003, 11:45
and the pic

wkid_one
30th March 2003, 11:45
SpankMe going hard chased by the ZX750R

wkid_one
30th March 2003, 11:46
FECK - and the pic again

wkid_one
30th March 2003, 11:50
The back end stepped out about this far - honest......

wkid_one
30th March 2003, 11:53
And the I missed the corner and ploughed some potatos award goes to:- PLAYERX

Note:  followed bloody closely by me, who tried to straighten the esses up by missing out the corner in the middle and MotoX'ing across the grass.......

Kwaka-Kid
30th March 2003, 23:00
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I HATE YOU ALL!

i cant beleive it, i havent had much timr ecently so i havent been browsing the forums, instead just replying to ones i get the email for reply etc etc..

I MISSED OUT!! :( OH GOD HELP ME!

argh, im so angry, but i spose what bike would i have taken? my 400 needs chain + sprockets + tyres would be a nice bonus oneday.

argh, i cnat beleive it, so whens the next little event? ill get chain + sprockets, whos the best place to go to for them?  -argh, hmm was that a ZX6R running 1.12s? is that an alrite time?

Okay when i went, my first time ever racing, id hardly had the bike long +im young, inexperienced and yadda yadda, on my 84 Kwaka 750 thats done 100,000ks+ smoking like a 2 stroke, old tyres but they did have some tread ill admit (about 5yo tyres) i was running 1:19-1:20, fairly consistantly apart from my VERY first 0-10 odd laps where i was still understanding the idea of keeping the bike @ redline, hehe i was letting revs drop to 3,000 coz i was worried for the engine, till my old man told me that the old kwaka can take all i could give. and that it did :)

and my best lap i screwed up, i swear it could been around 1:15-1:17, i fully got mad and enterd the redline in top gear, getting to 225kmph, heard a 2 stroke, looked behind me, by the time i looked back i had passed the 200m sign, and that was about my braking point i was using (or a bit before actually) and i was just like, ahh shitters, theres no way in hell my tyres can stop in time, so i was locking on and off hte rear and fully onthe front(almost till lockup) and went off the end of hairpin, did a motorcross doughtnut (fucking more slippery then i thoughttoo!) came back onto the track loosing 1 position (i was in 2nd place trying to get 1st, this is in novice class tho) and when i hit the tarmac i whacked the throttle on hard, bahah there was still mud in my tyre! did the biggest drift ive ever done i think! thats prolly counting dirtbike styles! hahah, slowed a bit and let it clear for all of 2 seconds and carried on.

but yes, just typing this out reminds me of the imense amount of fun i had, and how angry i now am that i missed out on this one :(

PlayerX
31st March 2003, 07:53
Yeah I made a few mistakes on Saturday. Hitting the ripple strip and getting the wobbles, locking up the rear tire on the hairpin, losing the back-end under power and onto the grass, and finally going straight at the S-bend which resulted in my potato farming. You wouldn't think from the photo above that the bike hit on its left side, flipped and came to rest on its right side would you?

But I managed to get up to just a tad under 240 kph on the back straight which is at least 10 kph faster that I'd ever done before. :bigthumb:

I'll try to last longer at the next meet. :D

BTW. I've got some pics of the boys with their bikes parked up which I will post once I've transferred them.

Hoon
31st March 2003, 10:13
Yeah I was there too.  I was the guy on the noisy blue 2-stroke.  I was going to come over and say hello to you guys but we were too busy working on the bike between sessions.

Hard luck Player_X, at least you are alright and the bike didn't suffer any major damage.  I ran off the track 3 times on Saturday too but managed to stay up - that first left turn of the esses gives me the most problems too.

ManDownUnder
31st March 2003, 13:29
I am hereby addicted to speed - thanks guys. I am used to flying, but not along the ground - I guess my goal is to go faster next time?

250 is fun I gotta say, even though I only wound up to it 2x.

Awesome fun, lots of ruber gone from the back end and I have killed/cooked my rear brakes, but all in a good cause. I get to play with spanners and get out there again next time!

You'll spot me - the one getting passed by everyone (aka back marker)

Coldkiwi
31st March 2003, 14:04
Whats that comment about gettign chased hard by the 750?? I thought he was a 400? I managed to gather him up on the gas along the back straight so he must've had some problems  if it was a 750.

I gotta say, I'm stoked with the 1:12! I could only extract 1:24 out of the ZXR 250 last time I was out so I'm happy with the improvement.

As for the 2nd session... ahh well, lets chaulk that one up as experience at being flustered!

Glad to see Ho-hoon in here too.

wkid_one
31st March 2003, 14:17
I am glad someone else other than me tried to straighten the esses out - why take three corners when two will do!!!!  Renners on grass are not a good look!!

A gr8 day had by all....you can pretty much get to the 'Controlled Testing Sessions' every Saturday - they had the dates posted on the window of the control room.  I am heading down this saturday for another blast (actually I am going down tomorrow - MWAAAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)

Logan, here was you chance too.......tire tester extrodinairre!!!!  You could have gone mad........

Cold won the most consistent laps tho - running 1.12s pretty much every lap - excluding the 2nd Session - where I think everyone had a mare (it was were I left the track - LOL)........

If anyone wants the full quality (2000v1400) res pictures, email me wkid_one@hotmail.com and I'll forward them through.   I have a wicked potrait picture of Cold coming down the home straight.

Next time I will get out to the esses and hairypin (not a typo) and take some cranked over pictures!!!!

Until next time, stay bubble up and rubber down!

Dan aka Wkid_One

Kwaka-Kid
31st March 2003, 22:01
I HEAR TRACKTIME 4 IS UP ON THE 5th of APRIL? THIS SATURDAY?!

kay my bike aint ready but who gives a f***! i can do it with a stuffed chain and dead sprockets, f***it if it smashes my crankcase, its only a 400. and stuffed tyres, bah, lets make them more stuffed! BWAHAHA!

sweet im there guys, how much is it on the spot? im sooo keen, BTW IVE GOT A VAN AND CAN FIT AT LEAST 1 MORE BIKE IN IT! leaving from west auckland if its all go in the morning. im sooooo damn keen. im either gunna blow this shitter up or crash it, or ride the living wheels of it thinking "how the hell did i survive?" 

-well maybe non of this, or actually, hopefully/definatly non of these except the thinking how did i survive bit :P

nite all! YAY! :)

p.s dont ruin my thoughts and tell me this saturday is wrong? :(

wkid_one
1st April 2003, 10:53
Saturday is right........

My concerns for your complete disregard for personal safety are growing exponentially every time you post another comment!

Good luck on Saturday - if the weather is dodgy and we pull the plug on the Coro Dash, I will be along with the camera to get some knee down action on film!

SpankMe
1st April 2003, 21:57
Well there’s another open day on Saturday this month on the 26th. If someone will start another topic announcing it, I will make your post a front page news item. I have already created a calendar event for it. I will not be able to make it as I have a grand nephew's christening to go to.