PDA

View Full Version : Bike vs Car Fun

deeknow
6th March 2004, 18:01
I just got home from a short service ride on my 600 duke which I've got in storage at someone elses garage at the moment. I warmed the little red fellah up and ambled around the country roads between Hamilton and Cambridge for awhile then cruised back into town thru Hillcrest.

We've got a nice stretch of two-lane carriage-way that runs from Hillcrest past the Hamilton Gardens and crosses the Waikato river on the Cobham bridge before running up into the South end of the Hamilton CBD. Its just recently been re-sealed with a sublimely smooth hot-mix.

As I was picking my way through the traffic on the carriage-way I catch up to this well turned out Black M-series BMW which was also making good progress thru the traffic. The driver spots me in his rear-view mirror and apparently floors-it to evade me as I approach.

Now, I'm not one to make a nuisence of myself on the road, but I cant resist a challenge from a car, especially when its a sporty one. So I open up my modestly powered twin and trace the beamer's line as we both rumble down towards the big new round-about at the entrance to the gardens.

We both brake heavily approaching the roundabout, I take a quick glance right to check theres no traffic making a turn, duck out from behind the beamer, flick the duke left a little, then crank it over to the right and pass the tin-pot on the outside lane of the two lane roundabout and leave him in a tail of brake-dust as I blast off down the straight. Of course, he'd say he'd backed off.

What fun!! U gotta love 2-wheeled vehicle performance dont ya?
Anyone else got any car-shaming tales to share?

Jackrat
6th March 2004, 18:51
LOL,every time I go for a ride,But the best one ever was a Holden V8 HG ute coming back from Otorohanga one day.He got on my tail leaving Oto' going up the hill on the north side of town,I let him go for a bit and then caught him up as the speed got up a bit,As it does.I passed him as soon as I caught him up and he made it pretty clear he was not happy about it.
All the way from Oto' to hamilton I would let him catch me and then pull away on him again,A one stage he had ago at passing me on a corner but his puss bucket ran out of suspension.I was watching his front end boncing around as he struggled to keep it on the road,Great fun mate.Just before Ohuapo I got bored an buggered off on him,I then stopped at the first round about just before you get to cobham drive.I'm standing there having a smoke when Mr HG comes trundling by,Of course he has to give me the finger.
I was riding a 76 Honda 500/4.Who needs a V8. :laugh: :bleh:

Kickaha
6th March 2004, 20:01
Got dicked by a porsche years ago on a RZ500 between Amberley and Chch two up running at 140km saw him pull in behind me and as soon as I looked away from the mirror he nailed it and pulled out and passed,two up and idicating 220kmh he was still pulling away.

Two Smoker
6th March 2004, 20:06
Ofcourse ive had all the usual light drags, including a oldschool M3 which i left behind (must have been a shit driver) i dragged a Porshce Boxster S but he got me at 90kmh:( (remembering my bike is only a 150 LOL) and i quite enjoy leaving cars behind even tho they are caining it through the Waitakere's hehehe, i cant wait to buy a RGV250, then ill be leaving heaps behind.......

You guys dont realise how lucky you are being able to ride powerful bikes:(

Zed
6th March 2004, 20:21
You guys dont realise how lucky you are being able to ride powerful bikes:(
Can't speak for everyone else, but I certainly realise it! It's a buzz that a large percentage of the population will never experience...you'll get there soon enuf if you keep upright and save your pennies TS.

Zed

Two Smoker
6th March 2004, 20:23
Can't speak for everyone else, but I certainly realise it! It's a buzz that a large percentage of the population will never experience...you'll get there soon enuf if you keep upright and save your pennies TS.

Zed
Well ive kept it shiny side up so far.... *touches Wood* after the RGV250 i want to go to a 600 Supersport. Any recomendations?????

figjam
6th March 2004, 20:54
Mine was a dickhead in a Subaru WRX (why is it always a Subaru?). 18-20 years old, heaps of gel and sunglasses. I was sitting in the inside lane from Upper Harbour Drive which can only turn onto the Constellation Drive onramp. He was in the lane to my left where traffic can either go straight ahead or take the onramp. As he pulled up I heard him blip his throttle a couple of times. Picture me dipping my head slightly as I glanced sideways and thought "Loser".

The traffic in front of him went straight ahead so he had a clear path onto the onramp. My lane could only take the onramp so I was blocked. I let him get ahead, ducked in behind him, and moved back to the right lane when it was clear. I pulled up beside him at about 90k's as he was flooring it (I'm still in first gear), backed off a fraction, wound on a fraction, backed off a fraction, turned to face him and screamed off (still in first gear). The picture as he shrunk in his seat was priceless.

Two Smoker
6th March 2004, 20:58
LOL similar things have happened to my Dad on his CBR1100XX, did it feel good to put that tosser in his place?

If it was me i would feel like a million bucks LOL:Punk:

Zed
6th March 2004, 20:58
What fun!! U gotta love 2-wheeled vehicle performance dont ya?Anyone else got any car-shaming tales to share?
I'm glad to say that in the many years I have been riding 600cc+ bikes I've never been out-performed by a cage! I guess my time will come someday as the cars get quicker & quicker! :eek5:

A new Porsche Carrera gave me a run for my money several years ago on the Southern M'Way, Auckland, on my Fireblade, but he never passed me. Also, just the other I day I was very impressed with a Subaru Imprezza who booted it from the lights as I approached him from behind, I didn't pursue him because I had to turn off in a different direction, but the thought had crossed my mind to keep going!

I generally find that cars are no competition- I'm always looking out for that approaching single headlight!! :yes:

Zed

Two Smoker
6th March 2004, 21:03
Most performance cars do 12-14 seconds for the quarter, then you get the odd quick one that does 11 second quarters, but most 600cc supersports do about 10.9-11.2 second quarters and the 1000cc Supersport do about 10.1-10.8 second quarters, then you get the insane Super sport tourers that do 9.7-10.2 second quarters:crazy:

Makes my little RG which does a 14 secind flat look slow as hell:(

Zed
6th March 2004, 21:07
Well ive kept it shiny side up so far.... *touches Wood* after the RGV250 i want to go to a 600 Supersport. Any recomendations?????
Each to his own choices, and there are many out there now, but I like the following:

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
Suzuki GSXR600
Honda CBR600
Yamaha YZF600 (R6)

If you could get yourself a low mileage 1995+ model you would do well.

Zed

Two Smoker
6th March 2004, 21:11
Each to his own choices, and there are many out there now, but I like the following:

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
Suzuki GSXR600
Honda CBR600
Yamaha YZF600 (R6)

If you could get yourself a low mileage 1995+ model you would do well.

Zed
Yeah thats what i was thinking, i guess i will just have to ride all of them:msn-wink: lol, but that a little way away.

Zed
6th March 2004, 21:14
Mine was a dickhead in a Subaru WRX (why is it always a Subaru?). 18-20 years old, heaps of gel and sunglasses. I was sitting in the inside lane from Upper Harbour Drive which can only turn onto the Constellation Drive onramp. He was in the lane to my left where traffic can either go straight ahead or take the onramp. As he pulled up I heard him blip his throttle a couple of times. Picture me dipping my head slightly as I glanced sideways and thought "Loser".

The traffic in front of him went straight ahead so he had a clear path onto the onramp. My lane could only take the onramp so I was blocked. I let him get ahead, ducked in behind him, and moved back to the right lane when it was clear. I pulled up beside him at about 90k's as he was flooring it (I'm still in first gear), backed off a fraction, wound on a fraction, backed off a fraction, turned to face him and screamed off (still in first gear). The picture as he shrunk in his seat was priceless.
Considering that you ride one of the fastest production bikes in the world :niceone: , you have quite a rep to uphold!!

If you do get overtaken in a duel by a mad cage driver someday let it be known that it wasn't the bike that let you down!! :rolleyes:

Zed

figjam
6th March 2004, 21:21
LOL similar things have happened to my Dad on his CBR1100XX, did it feel good to put that tosser in his place?

If it was me i would feel like a million bucks LOL:Punk:

It did, but was lessened by the fact he was such an obvious loser. I probably could have blown him away with my ZZR250, but with a lot more gears.

figjam
6th March 2004, 21:28
Considering that you ride one of the fastest production bikes in the world :niceone: , you have quite a rep to uphold!!

If you do get overtaken in a duel by a mad cage driver someday let it be known that it wasn't the bike that let you down!! :rolleyes:

Zed

I really can't see that happening. 0-100 is 3 secs flat (Hyabusa is about 2.7).

Having said that a WRT Tiger (2 x ZX-12R motors driving front and rear) does 0-100 in 2.8 secs.

It cracks me up when I get asked "Why would you spend so much?" "Hmmm let me see, to get a car with that performance I'd have to buy at least a Ferrari F50" and they go for about 600,000 USD.

matthewt
6th March 2004, 23:47
When I had my fireblade I toasted an old (OK mid 50's) guy in a 355 Ferrari on the way to Wgtn Airport. Can't remember the road name but it's the straight bit before the two round-abouts just before the airport.

Made me laugh at the time.

Lou Girardin
7th March 2004, 05:33
I can't believe how stupid some cage drivers are. HSV owners seem to be the worst, they'll race anything. Next dumbest are backward cap wearers in their Jap imports, they seem to believe everything posted on their websites, fastest car around, etc. etc. It's no challenge on a bike, but I loved doing most them at the lights in my old MX5.
Lou

ManDownUnder
10th March 2004, 08:34
I never fail to be amased by the number of bods that "want a go" at the lights...

Dickheads in $25,000 Mazda 323's (ok, a $2,000 323 with $22,000 of chrome, neon lights and window tinting)... trying to take me on... it is actually funny - which is good, because I actually laugh at them.

No comprehesion at all of what they're trying to do... lemme see... their car can probably hit 180 (assuming some of that extra money was spend on performance bits)... and at 180 I need to be in 3rd... just.

Only 2 more gears to go on top of that ... :shake:

Coldkiwi
10th March 2004, 11:25
I actually had a fairly amicable chat with two guys in a subaru impreza on queen st yesterday. I had got to the front of the shortland st/queen intersection and was waiting for the lights to go green when the passenger yelled out to me that his mate (driving) wanted to race. I wasn't sure I heard quite right (no, it wasn't done up much) so I rolled back to talk to them properly...
"what was that?"
"my mate wants to race you!'
*raised eyebrows*... "uhh, ok, well, you're welcome to have a go"
"sweet!...hey, what size is that bike?"
"600"
(driver) "ohhhhh!! naahhhh man! no worries"
(passenger) "oh forget it then... can you pull a wheelie?"

well I couldn't resist an invite like that :) Nice to see some boys have a bit of sense still.

k14
10th March 2004, 11:58
I actually had a fairly amicable chat with two guys in a subaru impreza on queen st yesterday. I had got to the front of the shortland st/queen intersection and was waiting for the lights to go green when the passenger yelled out to me that his mate (driving) wanted to race. I wasn't sure I heard quite right (no, it wasn't done up much) so I rolled back to talk to them properly...
"what was that?"
"my mate wants to race you!'
*raised eyebrows*... "uhh, ok, well, you're welcome to have a go"
"sweet!...hey, what size is that bike?"
"600"
(driver) "ohhhhh!! naahhhh man! no worries"
(passenger) "oh forget it then... can you pull a wheelie?"

well I couldn't resist an invite like that :) Nice to see some boys have a bit of sense still.

You should have said, "Its only a 250, pretty slow and heavy"

Then left them in your dust, lol.

A few weeks ago i pulled up next to this riced up civic. Guy was revving his engine and everything, was very tempted. But couldnt be arsed, was turning left and he was going straight. I know i would have wasted him.

White trash
10th March 2004, 12:06
I think me and the GSX-R guys have over "learned" the local heros in their ricers.

No one wants to play anymore :cry:

ching_ching
10th March 2004, 18:46

Hi Two Smoker,

As hard as it may seem, like Zed said, save up, skill up on what you got and you'll certainly get there. As far as 600s are concerned, if that's what you'll have your heart set on when the time comes then you won't be short of choice. Only limits are how much pings you got as well as what turns your pages. If you can strike a good compromise with regards to power, weight, looks, comfort and reliability then you're doin' OK. The three Japanese bikes I've owned so far (including my current machine) have all been pretty reliable (I like reliability) and somewhat solid machines. You may want to talk to someone else about European machines. The Suzuki GSXR600 at the moment is a great a machine... just ask ColdKiwi & WhiteTrash... (what a bargain eh fullas). Good price (Suzuki's end of year sale) but flickable az and will smoke most things on the road (as stock).

Rubber down and all that stuff and hope your endeavours for whatever bike you want in the future comes true brudder!!

ching

ching_ching
10th March 2004, 19:00
On my way back from the Cambridge Toy Run and half way between Tokoroa and Taupo on a bit of straight a few k's north of Atiamuri.

Followiing traffic on a bit of passing lane and followed a new looking red Falcon V8 in the front. Thought I'd twist the wrist a bit and casually get in front and the bugger started accelerating. Twist a bit more, pass him and he's caning it trying to keep up. Sneak a quick glance at the speedo... 180km. Thinking to myself, "bey, I'm nowhere near redline yet, calm down bey". Keeping an eye on any traffic up ahead too. Twist the wrist a bit more and negotiate the corners some... they give up in the end.:niceone:

la ching

Coldkiwi
10th March 2004, 21:51
yeah, its so dissapointing. the trick is to keep easing off and fiegn a problem so they don't loose interest and keep trying! hehehe

yup, the GSXR is a real bargain right now. as for moving up from a 250, I personally think there's so more to learn about ringing a 600 from a 250 that you don't need the sharpest tool to have a great time: especially if you're on an older 250 with old design brakes/suspension etc. The newer but even supposedly softer bikes (say pre 2000 CBR 600 and ZX-6R) will still surprise you with their abilities for a long time before you get bored with them. But thats just my call based on my experience (went from a '89 ZXR250 -> 97 ZX6R-> GSXR).

main thing is to get what you can reasonably afford and enjoy it!

marty
10th March 2004, 22:20
We've got a nice stretch of two-lane carriage-way that runs from Hillcrest past the Hamilton Gardens and crosses the Waikato river on the Cobham bridge before running up into the South end of the Hamilton CBD. Its just recently been re-sealed with a sublimely smooth hot-mix.

brush your right shoulder on the agapanthas, watch out for the man hole cover on the exit........and i'm sure the armco at the exit would punish HARD if you ran a bit wide. the RS LOVES that S bend........

caution: occasionally there is a camera van on the grass after the left hander, or a checkpoint up near the roundabout if it's later in the evening on a weekend.

What?
11th March 2004, 10:18
1985 (?) some clown decides to race me in his Isuzu Piazza (seriously!!!) down the south m/way, south of Papakura. I sat by his window at 160 - 170, watching him grip the wheel tighter and tighter, willing his POS to go faster, then dropped the 11 down a gear and left him behind. Laughed all the way back to Ngatea.

Coldkiwi
11th March 2004, 11:20
I hope you were giving him an encouraging thumbs up while he wrestled for control :)

aff-man
11th March 2004, 13:47
Well i have had a few incidents when cars think they can do better than me. Now in a straight line i'm forced to admit that some of the bigger guns have me due to thier higher top speed and faster acceleration over 140. But it still makes me laugh when i go into twisties with a wrx on my ass and come out with him no where in sight. Overtaking a holden through the s bend just over the waipuna bridge is also fun. One recomendation though don't be on the back of CK's bike when some silly Boy racer wants a go. I almost slid off the back and that was without CK even trying. Most times though i take off from the lights and throttle off at the speed limit, when some wanker who couldn't keep up whisles passed me doing way over the limit. I am just waiting for the day that there is a police car around the corner just to add insult to injury. :bleh:

Solarwind
11th March 2004, 13:51
I raced against a guy in a beemer (was probably a 3 series) on my Ninja 250 (GPX250R) and won. He pulled back after we had hit 80 or so in a 50 zone :whistle:

Coldkiwi
12th March 2004, 10:53
. One recomendation though don't be on the back of CK's bike when some silly Boy racer wants a go. I almost slid off the back and that was without CK even trying.

oh come on... I barely got it over 10000rpm and didn't even get close to 3rd gear.

they were just stupid and didn't even have a properly modified car. pathetic attempt really. I was more surprised that they woudl even bother!

Indiana_Jones
12th March 2004, 23:23
Makes my little RG which does a 14 secind flat look slow as hell:(

lol not that slow :)
I'm on FXR150 and that's 4-stroke :D

-Indy

Lou Girardin
13th March 2004, 05:58
Closest cage to a bike has to be the Atom 2, just been released in NZ. It's a road legal, 2 seat, track day car, a bit like a fat Formula Ford. 2l Honda Vtec with about 160kw.
Does 100km/h in under 4 secs.
Still can't filter though.
Lou

Kickaha
13th March 2004, 06:48
It may have just been released here and it may be fast but there was one at Ruapuna probably a year ago,I don't remember much about other than thinking it was seriuosly ugly car.

Lou Girardin
13th March 2004, 13:51
True and I forgot the price - $98,000. Or you could buy all four Jap superbikes.
Lou

Coldkiwi
5th April 2004, 19:52
who was it that said HSV owners were gluttons for punishment? Found an obliging idiot in a modded up clubsport on saturday. he stuck with me for the first 100m tho :)(while I was patiently waiting on half throttle in 1st gear).

While irritating my old flat mate with how much faster road bikes are than cars, he told me to watch out for a mitso Evo or other rice car that starts making really horrid noises while idling next to me at the lights ...'could be one of our 9 second road legal drag cars running with an open waste gate'.

yes, well, maybe. But have any of you ever seen/been bested by one of these extremely modified vehicles or had the pleasure of dumping all over one when his over boosted turbo exploded?

Lou Girardin
5th April 2004, 20:25
Those 9 sec rice rockets don't run street tyres at the drags, add 1.5 to 2 secs for wheelspin on the street. Even then, their engine mods cost more than our bikes.
Lou

Two Smoker
5th April 2004, 21:40
Gave a porsche GT3 a good go the other day, i had him in the tight stuff (i e the gap was getting bigger) but on the sweepers i didnt have the power ot torque to get the speed up higher so he caught up...... (Milky is my witness) after about a 40 secs of going hard i pulled over gave him the thumbs up and he did likewise and we went different ways..... and by the way the speeds didnt get above 80, thats how tight it was......

k14
5th April 2004, 22:23
Those 9 sec rice rockets don't run street tyres at the drags, add 1.5 to 2 secs for wheelspin on the street. Even then, their engine mods cost more than our bikes.
Lou

You mean the amount they spend on petrol/oil products in a year would cost more than our bikes.

Coldkiwi
6th April 2004, 12:46
true lou... although I'm sure they would be better at launching their over priced heap than I am ( I have other things to do). I've had a bit of fun clutch slipping off the line but its not really needed unless racing other bikes so I don't do it too often to save abuse.

Skyryder
6th April 2004, 13:24
Not much tempt me now days. Just getting too old for all the race bullshit. But the Porch drivers bring out the competition in me still. Came across one in our one way sytem just before Christmas. I had been for a short ride and was waiting at the lights. This was aboput 9.30 at night and not much traffic on the road. Well I was waiting at the lights and minding my own buisness when the Porche cruises up along side. The lights change and the yuppie takes off as if in a drag meeting. I thought to myself Oh yea making up for the lack of dick size. The next set of lights are still red so I pull up along side and he looks over with a silly grin on his face. This guy was about nineteen. Where they get the money for these cars God only knows. The lights change to green and I gun I realy mean gun it. Now my bike is not the fastest out of the blocks but then it is not the slowest either. The Porch did not stand a chance. So we get to the next set of red lights and I deliberatly ignore him. He takes off as before but who cares, I slip in behind and just tail him all the way to Moorehouse Ave. I do not need to proove my point twice. He does a right hand turn down Moorhouse Ave I go over the bridge down Waltham road. So long sucker.

Skyryder

Skyryder
6th April 2004, 13:34
Closest cage to a bike has to be the Atom 2, just been released in NZ. It's a road legal, 2 seat, track day car, a bit like a fat Formula Ford. 2l Honda Vtec with about 160kw.
Does 100km/h in under 4 secs.
Still can't filter though.
Lou

Go to http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/index.asp?storyId=7934

for info on the Atom 2

Skyryder

Hitcher
6th April 2004, 14:51
I love boy racers at the lights! I give them half the intersection, then light up the Zrex -- one thousand and one, one thousand and two, one thousand and three, one thousand and four... power off after the upshift to third gear at about 100kmh, check the rear view mirrors to see them way back behind somewhere, then wait for them to roar past in a snot. Hopefully they're sitting waiting at the next lights... I've also scalded the ego of some merchant banker in his Lexus convertible in a similar manner. Tragic!

Gixxer
6th April 2004, 17:08
so many to choose from, the bast was a porsch carrera turbo.
pulled up to him at the lights on tristen av onramp.
when the lights changed I turned onto the m'way and nailed it, got to 100k and sat there, looked in the mirrors to see this porsch flying up behind me(he did not take off as i did and got a running start when he saw me slow up) waited till he was almost up to me then opened it up and flew in behind him, sat there for a few secs then nailed it past him at about 200+, blasted down the m'way when I looked back he was a spec on the road.
slowed up by the devonport onramp, dude caught up to me on the bridge and gave me the look, so I gave him the one finger left hand salute as i pulled away.

his 100k plus car vs my 8k bike.
it's good to be a motorcyclist.

Indiana_Jones
6th April 2004, 17:16
his 100k plus car vs my 8k bike.
it's good to be a motorcyclist.

So true :banana:

-Indy

Coldkiwi
6th April 2004, 17:27
wasn't it Mel Brooks who said 'Its good to be the king'?

so true... two wheels are king!

I think the best way to rub it in is to hang with them as they accelerate so they really think they've got a chance.. drag it out for a while and then blow them away :)

Jackrat
6th April 2004, 18:59
Years ago A mate got tail gated by this BMW thing on the desert road.Even when he pulled over for him he wouldn't piss off so he stopped,that way the driver didn't have a choise.He then followed him at a discrete distance until he stoped at the Waioru serv'o, He went inside with his flash tart And my mate who will stay unnamed "aye Lee".
Opened the drivers door an pissed on the drivers seat an anything else he could reach :laugh:
More than one way to skin a cat huh.

Gixxer
7th April 2004, 09:40
I think the best way to rub it in is to hang with them as they accelerate so they really think they've got a chance.. drag it out for a while and then blow them away :)

on Wairau Rd there are a shit load of lights and when a cager wants to drag, I ride beside him trying to make it look as if he is beating me, then at the last set of lights I f*%ken nail it and piss all over them. :2thumbsup

That always brings a smile to my face.

sAsLEX
7th April 2004, 10:50
Just got to the front of the queue waiting for the bridge at Kopu heading back from Wahi. Car at the front is a CV8 monaro not to impressed with all us bikes, take off with the lights John doing a wheelie along the bridge.

The Monaro pulled out on the straights and passed me while I was accelrating through 160, little bike was running out of pull at that stage!! He then managed to catch up with the R1s in front who were cruising at 230!

750Y
7th April 2004, 10:51
I have succumbed to the ego trip 2 times.
the funniest one was alfriston road(long uphill climb with 2 lanes) on the gsxr750.
I came onto it just in time to see a new yellow monaro pull up beside a van and floor it(showing off).
i chuckled to myself as i came up steadily next to the van first and looked to see the guys expression,
well he was jumping up and down in his seat with a huge grin, laughing & giving me the thumbs up shouting woohoo, so i couldn't let him down. I nodded to him and pulled away & was next to the monaro at 160 in a flash, the guy in the suit looked shocked when i appeared next to him,
he sped up so i waited till we got to 200, waved goodbye & floored it to the top leaving him behind like he was standing still.
I think the guy in the van enjoyed it, and the guy with the holden got a reality check.
standard disclaimer: there were no other cars around.

Coldkiwi
7th April 2004, 12:22
Just got to the front of the queue waiting for the bridge at Kopu heading back from Wahi. Car at the front is a CV8 monaro not to impressed with all us bikes, take off with the lights John doing a wheelie along the bridge.

The Monaro pulled out on the straights and passed me while I was accelrating through 160, little bike was running out of pull at that stage!! He then managed to catch up with the R1s in front who were cruising at 230!

geeeez, thats not good! I hope they didn't get passed by him! he should be topping out at near that speed anyway

Firefight
7th April 2004, 12:45
Years ago A mate got tail gated by this BMW thing on the desert road.Even when he pulled over for him he wouldn't piss off so he stopped,that way the driver didn't have a choise.He then followed him at a discrete distance until he stoped at the Waioru serv'o, He went inside with his flash tart And my mate who will stay unnamed "aye Lee".
Opened the drivers door an pissed on the drivers seat an anything else he could reach :laugh:
More than one way to skin a cat huh.

Love it Jack, reminds me of another pissing story which has nothing to do with this topic at all, so Topic :Police: get ready.

A mate of mine, was on the piss with his mates, he was 18 at the time and still living with his mum, anyway, he came pretty home drunk, wandered around the kitchen looking for the dunny door, sadly in that house the dunny door and the fridge were on the same side of the room, you can guess what happened, yep he just about finished having a rather long leak on the vegie bin, when in walked his mum, I belive the shouting from his mum was heard about 2 ks away in Orewa. :argh:

Firefight :wacko:

Gixxer
7th April 2004, 17:15
Love it Jack, reminds me of another pissing story which has nothing to do with this topic at all, so Topic :Police: get ready.

A mate of mine, was on the piss with his mates, he was 18 at the time and still living with his mum, anyway, he came pretty home drunk, wandered around the kitchen looking for the dunny door, sadly in that house the dunny door and the fridge were on the same side of the room, you can guess what happened, yep he just about finished having a rather long leak on the vegie bin, when in walked his mum, I belive the shouting from his mum was heard about 2 ks away in Orewa. :argh:

Firefight :wacko:

Since we are on pissing stories, When I finished my training in the navy I was posted to philomal and lived at the base, had 2 room mates, My mate Rat and this young bandy new recruit (Bandy - dude who joins the navy to play in the band) anyway, one nite after coming back from the pub i heard Rat get up and thought he was off to the loo, then I heard someone yelling, turned on the lights to see Rat pissing on the bandy, next morning I told him what he had done and he swore black and blue that he had gone to the loo.

Coldkiwi
8th April 2004, 13:05
not the cleanest stories guys but damn funny! That Mc D's ad on that topic was good too

madandy
12th April 2004, 16:06
geeeez, thats not good! I hope they didn't get passed by him! he should be topping out at near that speed anyway

CV8 tops out at 270km/h

Coldkiwi
13th April 2004, 12:22
still less than an R1 but you need big balls (and possibly a small brain) to do that on kopu-hikuai!

Rocket
13th April 2004, 12:56
still less than an R1 but you need big balls (and possibly a small brain) to do that on kopu-hikuai!

you guys ever seen ghostrider movie?

DEATH_INC.
13th April 2004, 13:02
You called??? :whistle:
I dunno who you guys are racing,I've struggled to get away from more than one cage....an evo doing 260kph(on the gixx)....and a sub doing at least 230(fzr1000).....would have loved to line some of you guys up with my 351 powered escort when I had it :Pokey:
Try picking on some fast cages on yer 250's :whistle:

Coldkiwi
13th April 2004, 17:32
never got done while I was on my 250's (admittedly I didn't try until I got the ZXR but that held its head high). my only hiding was at the hands of a porsche turbo and a local driver up twilight road in clevedon on my ZX-6. haven't had the pleasure yet of really destroying a decent car on the open road. Had to do some work to keep an old holden V8 vacationer wagon (complete with local maori nutter at the wheel!) at bay (at least for a little while) on the ZX-6 tho. That was fun.

Two Smoker
13th April 2004, 17:48
CK thats where your 250 would have come in handy at twilight road.....

Madandy are you sure its 270 kmh? because i know the HSV 300 only does 268 kmh and that is official top speed. the CV8 only has only 225-235kw (depending on year) and i dont think it has the power to reach those speeds..... maybe 240-250 tho.........

Lou Girardin
13th April 2004, 21:14
CV8 tops out at 270km/h

Only in a vertical mine shaft.
Lou

k14
13th April 2004, 21:27
I highly doubt the CV8 could do 270 aswell. Maybe the HSV GTS Coupe could do 270 but definately not the CV8, maybe 220-230 at a stretch, and a long straight.

Coldkiwi
14th April 2004, 12:11
Only in a vertical mine shaft.
Lou

what a good idea!

festus
14th April 2004, 14:54
3 occurrances to note:
First got tailed by a BMW 8 series from wellington to Levin, I was on my RZ500.
Got to some road works and the guys pulls up beside me. Winds down his window and sez what the f&ck kinda bike is that?, he'd kept me in sight even though I was taking traffic when most cars couldn't, he hung in there!.
Second, a Merc 500sl chased me into Wellington, I was on my TLS, didn't pass me but shit he hung in there too, the other was one of those new 280zx nissans, blew him away through National Park to Turangi........missed been nabbed by a cop, luckily, he was ticketing someone else, I would have been doing 200+ flying past him by the time I sighted him..........

Devil
14th April 2004, 15:18
the other was one of those new 280zx nissans
350Z :Pokey:

festus
14th April 2004, 15:48
Sorry yeah, 350Z........bloody sharp looking car..........

Coldkiwi
14th April 2004, 17:07
350z's....sharp yes, but slow judging from a roll on overtaking manouver I had the pleasure of executing on the kopu-hikuai road. no where near enough power to bother a 600+ bike. maybe the super trick version would be difficult to hustle in twisties but they're pretty rare in NZ i think (anyone know?)

Timber020
14th April 2004, 19:32
I love overtaking guys and pretend to be scratching myself or adjusting my chin strap or pretending to whip my bike like a horse.....and they seem to be trying to hard to.... :whistle:

Devil
15th April 2004, 08:34
350z's....sharp yes, but slow judging from a roll on overtaking manouver I had the pleasure of executing on the kopu-hikuai road. no where near enough power to bother a 600+ bike. maybe the super trick version would be difficult to hustle in twisties but they're pretty rare in NZ i think (anyone know?)
Yeah they could do with a little more power, but the handling is pretty damn good. On the track vs M3CSL and 996 Carrera 2, the 350Z was within a second! In a straight line it got a little spanked though.
mmm Z cars. If I could afford to run two cars id have my old 300zx back.

Devil
15th April 2004, 08:35
I love overtaking guys ... pretending to whip my bike like a horse.....and they seem to be trying to hard to.... :whistle:
Haha! Excellent. Ill have to try it some time :laugh:

marty
15th April 2004, 09:03
i'm pretty sure that in the 2003 PCOTY shootout the CV8 did 270k. i think it was the quickest, with the benz slk being speed limited to 250k. i'll try and find the mag.

here's some stats off the 'motor' web site:

Monaro CV8

0-100 km/hr 6.06 sec
0-400 metres 14.30 sec @ 162.6 km/hr (101.0 mph)
0-1000 metres 25.70 sec @ 209.2 km/hr (130.0 mph)
top speed 270 km/hr (168 mph)

HSV GTS (result 7/22)

0-100 km/hr 5.26 sec
0-400 metres 13.36 sec @ 177.8 km/hr (110.5 mph)
0-1000 metres 23.83 sec @ 231.5 km/hr (143.9 mph)
top speed 275 km/hr (171 mph)

Coldkiwi
15th April 2004, 12:46
or pretending to whip my bike like a horse.....and they seem to be trying to hard to.... :whistle:
i love doing that too although never done it during an overtake, what a great idea :2thumbsup

Motoracer
15th April 2004, 13:04
While going over a crest around a blind corner, I love standing up on the pegs and looking over Vans, SUVs and cars to see if a pass is safe. Dunno how it looks from outside but it feels pretty cool. Its like pretending I can do a standup wheelie. :D I so need to learn how to do propper wheelies...

madandy
16th April 2004, 17:26
i'm pretty sure that in the 2003 PCOTY shootout the CV8 did 270k. i think it was the quickest, with the benz slk being speed limited to 250k. i'll try and find the mag.

here's some stats off the 'motor' web site:

Monaro CV8

0-100 km/hr 6.06 sec
0-400 metres 14.30 sec @ 162.6 km/hr (101.0 mph)
0-1000 metres 25.70 sec @ 209.2 km/hr (130.0 mph)
top speed 270 km/hr (168 mph)

HSV GTS (result 7/22)

0-100 km/hr 5.26 sec
0-400 metres 13.36 sec @ 177.8 km/hr (110.5 mph)
0-1000 metres 23.83 sec @ 231.5 km/hr (143.9 mph)
top speed 275 km/hr (171 mph)

Thanx Marty! I just went and got my copy of that same magazine to quote the FACTS to these guys...when I posted "CV8 tops out at 270km/h "it was because I knew it to be a fact! Not some guess or speculation...some people in here need to step back in some threads and think about what they are saying before contradicting others. My post count is low but I have read alot of what is said in these forums over the last six months...I know that any decent 600cc bike or faster will accellerate to its top speed quicker than a car with similar top whack but its naive and IGNORANT to say things like ..."only in a vertical mineshaft..." and "...220-230 at a stretch..." yes it takes a fair bit of road to wind up to that but it still gets there.

I have a 150Kw Primera that will pull from 140 to 230km/h...in less space than than a VFR 400 but from rest that same bike could get to 160 and stop and back to 160 in the time my car could reach its top speed...Out on the open road we as bikers have to deal with cars who possess better aerodynamics and swift top end accelleration...once they get some momentum going or a run up on you, doing a constant speed it can seem difficult to get away from them :beer: :whocares:

Two Smoker
16th April 2004, 17:31
Well Andy i stand corrected :niceone: i think that was the wheels magazine that had the info about top speeds.......

But still, 0-200 in about 24-25seconds........ R1 0-200 in about 8-10 seconds.....
nuff said....

madandy
16th April 2004, 18:02
But still, 0-200 in about 24-25seconds........ R1 0-200 in about 8-10 seconds.....
nuff said....
Sure, but please think about it this way for a moment...
You're cruising along on your R1 ( :killingme yeah lots of those in these forums :msn-wink: ) doing 230km/h, constant, and this bloody great, bellowing CV8 Monaro comes blasting up behind you doing 240+ accellerating, with more to go...

That's where 0-200 means jack and you'd better get on the wrist quick or he's gonna fly past ya and it's gonna hurt! and it's gonna take a little effort to wind up to the point where you're actually out-accellerating him, to pass him back and restore justice and pride for all us riders...this is the situation where most of us find cages giving us a run for our money...in correct racing protcol, bikes RULE, but the highway is not a race and as such has no rules...

Two Smoker
16th April 2004, 18:09
very true..... thats why i love the tight and twisty stuff.....(yes i know a well driven performance car can keep up in the twistys..... but alot of cars cant.....)

hhhhmmmm, yes i like speed, but not all the time, if i get passed by a cage doing insane speeds.......well he can keep doing them, but if he slows me up in the twistys he'll soon know that im quick when i want to be......

Jackrat
16th April 2004, 19:15
One nice thing about fast cars is you can use em' as cop bait.
I quite often follow them at a discrete distance in the knowlage that if there's a cop about he's going to get it an not me.I was down by Napier last year about to pull out when some fast thing went zapping past.I said to the mate I was with that he'd make good bait.We only got a couple of Km down the road an there he was geting booked.
:killingme I love it when that happens.

jrandom
16th April 2004, 19:19
twistys..... but alot of cars cant.....

Twisties? Cars?

Fear the 911 Turbos.

Also, funnily enough, the MX5s.

Coldkiwi
16th April 2004, 23:34
mx5's??? you serious? no way have they got enouygh power to bother as bike in most twisties (any form of straight should see them in the mirrors...unless you're on an FXR I guess!)

andy... you've obviously done your research and although I haven't had the pleasure of whupping some big wig in his HSV beyond the 100kmhr mark, i think it would only take a few gear changes to have the bike reeling him back in in very short order. And as you say, the highways not a race track (apparently!) so to all intents and purposes, any top speed advantage he has is near useless.

all cars have to their aid on the road is good handling.

pete376403
16th April 2004, 23:40
all cars have to their aid on the road is good handling.

Maybe not even that, but they do have a lot more rubber on the road. And THAT is the key to going around corners fast. You want to try something that will corner so hard your vision blurs? Try a super kart. No suspension, just a super low centre of gravity and four sticky slick tyres.
Bikes main advantage is superior acceleration, which can only be used to maximum effect when mainly upright

Lou Girardin
17th April 2004, 06:54
mx5's??? you serious? no way have they got enouygh power to bother as bike in most twisties (any form of straight should see them in the mirrors...unless you're on an FXR I guess!)

An MX on sticky tyres can exceed 1g cornering, that's serious corner speed if the road is twisty enough. I used to stay with bikes quite often until traffic got in the way.
Lou

DEATH_INC.
17th April 2004, 07:06
Twisties? Cars?

Fear the 911 Turbos.

Also, funnily enough, the MX5s.

I can get my Terrano on mudgrips round most corners(well up to 100mph anyway...)as fast as me bikes......

madandy
18th April 2004, 09:45
Yeah LOU is right ;a well set up MX5 is a real weapon in the tight stuff

marty
18th April 2004, 11:11
but an mx5 is a girls car

Lou Girardin
18th April 2004, 14:42
Yup, I was Louise until I bought the RF.
Lou

andy1
18th April 2004, 18:02
had a race today down the southern motorway against this funny looking hsv with red and blue flashing lights, got off at penrose and blasted home. always a good time racing those guys!
i bet they go nuts when they cant keep up! :bye:

sAsLEX
18th April 2004, 18:57
Maybe not even that, but they do have a lot more rubber on the road. And THAT is the key to going around corners fast. You want to try something that will corner so hard your vision blurs? Try a super kart. No suspension, just a super low centre of gravity and four sticky slick tyres.
Bikes main advantage is superior acceleration, which can only be used to maximum effect when mainly upright

Apparently these little karts have the lap records at most kiwi tracks!

wkid_one
18th April 2004, 21:45
Yup Kiwi Karts apparently held the record at Manfield for a while. A combination of having a wickedly low COG, wide foot print and having a hell P2W ratio - along with being small enuf to use shit loads of track on the corners and straighten them out.

They go like snot - they also over-represent the speed when you are in them as you are sooo close to the ground.

Only problem I found is that given you are so close to the ground, it makes it hard to see around a corner and pick your apex until you manage to sort your reference points out.

wkid_one
18th April 2004, 21:45
Or a hairdressers.

marty
19th April 2004, 09:18
it's certainly not the sort of car that i'd be admitting to driving.......

Lou Girardin
19th April 2004, 20:34
They're not so bad with a supercharger and 190hp. Especially when it looked stock, surprised a lot of so-called quick cars.
Lou

speedpro
19th April 2004, 20:57
I seem to recall quite some years ago that a kart held the outright lap record at Pukekohe as well, even though I think it topped out at about 120mph down the back. I've seen them throwing up sparks over the bumps down the front straight and if you can get anything round turn one as fast you are probably German and drive a Ferrari

Kickaha
19th April 2004, 21:17
I seem to recall quite some years ago that a kart held the outright lap record at Pukekohe as well, even though I think it topped out at about 120mph down the back. I've seen them throwing up sparks over the bumps down the front straight and if you can get anything round turn one as fast you are probably German and drive a Ferrari

At Pukekohe I would now expect around the 240-250kmh out of a good Superkart.

At Ruapuna Nigel Sheppard has the unofficial outright lap record at 1.27 in a PVP/TZ250 Superkart,compare this to Andrew Stroud on his GSXR1000 at 1.33 and Nigel only Hits 226kmh off the main straight compared to 260+ for the bikes,corner speed and short braking distance make up for the difference!

At Taupo the Bikes are doing good to go sub 40sec,fastest Kart is 37.4 for Wayne Sponstons Stockman/RS250,which is the outright record and most decent gearbox karts will run sub 40sec easily.

Over a long distance I will bet on a hi-perf car to beat a bike any day of the week.

Lou Girardin
20th April 2004, 06:44
A couple of years back they had proddie bikes at a Puke car meeting. The bikes were lapping as fast in the wet as the V8's in the dry.
Then there was a recent test in Superbike mag (or maybe Performance bikes) between a GSXR thou and a Radical, although the Radical braked harder and cornered quicker it couldn't stay with the bikes acceleration, from memory there was 1 or 2 secs difference.

Coldkiwi
20th April 2004, 12:14
i'll agree that given enough money and a race track, the cars will always beat the bikes. but thats ok, in the hard world of our own money, state highways and big egos in underpowered cars, i'll stick with bikes!

scroter
20th April 2004, 12:44
Last years TT at Pukekohe saw Andrew Stroud in the 57's fuck thats fast, but unfortunatly not fast enough. V8 Supercars. 56's

Motoracer
20th April 2004, 13:08
With the sort of downforce race cars get, they are basically stuck to the track as they sweep through the corners.

I forgot the exact speed but in a F1 interview for Mclaren. The guy said that if there was a long enough tunnel in a pipe shape with a crazy enough driver, it was possilbe to drive the car upside down on the cealing because the downforce of the F1 car could support its own weight. Imagine that, it'd be like flying an aerobatics aircraft at the airshow. :eek:

Coldkiwi
20th April 2004, 17:02
could definitely be done if they really cranked the down force of those wings up like at Monaco

pete376403
20th April 2004, 17:05
Real downforce was in the days of the Can Am Chapparals with the fans sucking air out from under the cars, or the F1 cars with the skirts. Modern flat bottom cars wouldn't approach that level of stiction

Lou Girardin
20th April 2004, 21:02
Last years TT at Pukekohe saw Andrew Stroud in the 57's fuck thats fast, but unfortunatly not fast enough. V8 Supercars. 56's

So we need a V8 supercar v WSB bike test. I'll put my money on the bike.
Lou

Motu
20th April 2004, 21:40
It's been done,a few years ago - Wayne Gardners Coke Commodore and a Ducati of some sort...it was red,y'know the one I mean.They did 6 tracks and it was a 50/50 split - the bike was faster on the fast tracks,I think they did Bathurst and the Duke was pulling at least 20kph more than the V8 on conrod.On the twisty tracks the V8 just shat on the bike.It was in either a 2 Wheels or a 4 Wheels mag.

wkid_one
20th April 2004, 21:45
It's been done,a few years ago - Wayne Gardners Coke Commodore and a Ducati of some sort...it was red,y'know the one I mean.They did 6 tracks and it was a 50/50 split - the bike was faster on the fast tracks,I think they did Bathurst and the Duke was pulling at least 20kph more than the V8 on conrod.On the twisty tracks the V8 just shat on the bike.It was in either a 2 Wheels or a 4 Wheels mag.How about this then....refer Pic

Monsta Tajima's Vitara Truck generates 1.5ton of down pressure at 100kph.....hence why it sticks to the road (although the same car in Gran Turismo 3 is a c*&t to drive).

It is the Indy Car's they are referring to being able to drive upside down at any speed over 75mph apparently.

You only have to look at the fastest times around the tracks of the world - very few hot lap titles are held by bikes anywhere...cars have the advantage of being able to corner shit loads quicker than bikes....pure aerodynamics.

Most bikes have the aerodynamics of a brick - and downforce when cornering doesn't really enter in to the equation.

Apparently the fastest lap around Ruapuna is actually held by a bike due to its more flowing nature (I think I recall this being discussed during the Summer Series commentary). This would make it a highly abnormal track.

If you want true downforce in a car tho - you want the IMSA cars....these things drove like they were on rails. Second were the F1 cars when full ground effects were allowed.

Kickaha
20th April 2004, 22:21
Apparently the fastest lap around Ruapuna is actually held by a bike due to its more flowing nature (I think I recall this being discussed during the Summer Series commentary). This would make it a highly abnormal track.

Maybe but it would be very close,at the first Drink/Drive 500 the fastest Transam was 1/100 of a second faster than the fastest bike on the Saturday,I don't recall Sunday times,but that event is one of the few that the cars and bikes use the same track layout at Ruapuna.

It would depend on what kind of car tintop/single seater they were comparing to,because I think Simon Wills in a Formula Holden is the fastest 4 wheeler around there and I doubt a bike would get close to that,because the superkarts don't and they smoke the bikes

Two Smoker
20th April 2004, 22:32
The McLaren F1 GTR (road car) produces enough downforce at 160kmh to drive on the roof.........

As for the car vs bike thing. i think bikes are more fun because there is the acceleration and braking like a car, but there is also the lean factor in it where the car doesnt have that..... its just like how the next step up from bikes is planes because it has the up and down factor........

Motu
20th April 2004, 22:45
The real VW beetle generated enough lift at 100kph to raise the car 50mm.

k14
20th April 2004, 22:54
Maybe but it would be very close,at the first Drink/Drive 500 the fastest Transam was 1/100 of a second faster than the fastest bike on the Saturday,I don't recall Sunday times,but that event is one of the few that the cars and bikes use the same track layout at Ruapuna.

It would depend on what kind of car tintop/single seater they were comparing to,because I think Simon Wills in a Formula Holden is the fastest 4 wheeler around there and I doubt a bike would get close to that,because the superkarts don't and they smoke the bikes

Doesn't stroud have the record round there on the britten? 1:33.something. He was like 2 tenths off the record at the superbike meeting a few months ago. But i maybe wrong. I am pretty sure that the britten holds the record for a bike round there though.

What times were those supercarts doing round ruapuna in the lunch break? Can't have been much over 1:35, but i think they skipped out the dipper didn't they?

Kickaha
21st April 2004, 06:11
Doesn't stroud have the record round there on the britten? 1:33.something. He was like 2 tenths off the record at the superbike meeting a few months ago. But i maybe wrong. I am pretty sure that the britten holds the record for a bike round there though.

What times were those supercarts doing round ruapuna in the lunch break? Can't have been much over 1:35, but i think they skipped out the dipper didn't they?

You have to remember though the Britten is a purpose built racebike not a modified prouction bike like they are running now.

The Britten's lap record is a 1.32 something,its hard to compare bikes and cars at Ruapuna because the cars don't use the dipper and the bikes normally do,the Liquor King being on of the few times they have.

Don't know what lap times the Superkarts were doing in the lunchtime break,but they were just having a play,Nigel Shepard and Brian Day who were driving them have both done 1.28's running the same circuit as the bikes including the dipper,and at the NZ Champs in Febuary with Nigel did a 1.27 as fastest lap and he does a 11.3sec quarter mile with problems getting off line.

Coldkiwi
21st April 2004, 12:17
core blimey! so does that mean some bugger is going to enter a superkart in the NZ GT series?? put a big orange flag on the back so the cars can see him and just dissappear!!

that'd be a laugh :)

NZIrish
5th May 2004, 20:38
a CV8 rental and they are fecken fast. Avis want to think about bikes perhaps LOL.

Lou Girardin
6th May 2004, 06:03
a CV8 rental and they are fecken fast. Avis want to think about bikes perhaps LOL.

All rentals are fast and indestructible.
Lou

menace
13th May 2004, 22:01
I can say as a car enthusiaist that sometimes the car drivers KNOW they will louse but they still want too see a performance...

Case and point i was egging a f-40 (NOT 100% sure it was a f-40 but had the blue 1 liscence plate and perplex engine cover) Anyway at the time i was in a mirage turbo cyborg circa '90. Now im not stupid and retarted but i just wanted to hear that ferrari go.. And he did all the way to the next roundabout.. Where i cought up to him a and gave him 2 thumbs up and a cheezy smile...

I cant actually beleive that anyone would be retared enough to think that they could beat a bike to -100kph... But i do beleive that they maybie do wanna hear/see you run... ;)