PDA

View Full Version : RG150 Powervalve trouble

Coyote
14th December 2005, 16:24
Well this afternoon I was figuring out how to clean the powervalves cause my impression was this was a easy task. Well I don't know what the hell I'm doing so no it hasn't been easy. So I've taken the exhaust off, had a go at undoing some throttle control like thingy next to the powervalve and after reading this: http://www.geocities.com/zorst1/zorstvalve.html?1134346318546 I took the exhaust valve cover off. Realising I need to take the radiator off to have a proper look inside I thought stuff it, come back to it tomorrow. As I was tidying up I noticed inside the powervalve compartment thingy there were 2 loose springs and a loose screw. Now I'm no experts with engines as you can tell but from what I know this is a bad thing right? What the hell should I do now?

Sketchy_Racer
14th December 2005, 20:51
well the fact that they are loose are a problem.... thats why its got no power... the two strings should have a retainer clip that holds them in plece... thats what the screw should hold in place... Suzuki powervalves are all very similar so ill post some pics up from my RM powervalves to show you :)

Sketchy_Racer
14th December 2005, 21:04
heres a pic ;)

Ivan
14th December 2005, 21:08
clean em with oven cleaner and a plastic bag and I had same problem on my RG150 my brother had his power valves lying in pieces and it still performed

Aiolos
15th December 2005, 06:07
Yeah. I think everyone has that problem sooner or later. Shoulda used a longer screw I guess.

I need to clean mine properly. Dad was all paranoid about getting gunk in the engine last time I had the cover off (to fix this problem). Silly man.

Coyote
15th December 2005, 08:38
well the fact that they are loose are a problem.... thats why its got no power... the two strings should have a retainer clip that holds them in plece... thats what the screw should hold in place... Suzuki powervalves are all very similar so ill post some pics up from my RM powervalves to show you :)
Yeah, I found that retainer clip loose in there as well, it's like the screw wasn't tightened up properly and had let them loose. I'm going to have another go at it today. There is one more thing stopping me from doing any more yesterday, what is the controlling thing next to it? It has 2 cables under high downward tension attached to a wheel that's attached to a axle going into the powervalve chamber. The screws holding the cables as I unscrewed them ended up chewing their threads as the tension was pushing down on them stopping them from unscrewing up and out. I was going to take the tank off to see if I could loosen these cables above it so I could get this control thingy out of the way as the page Zorst gave me suggests. What am I supposed to do to take it off?

Sketchy_Racer
15th December 2005, 09:10
in a perfect world you would take out the engine.... but thats a pain in the arse.

but the cables you describe are the cables that open and close the valves.

you need to remove the valves completly out of the engine and clean them up... also chenck for thin spots in the metal :) where in the hutt are you???

SPORK
15th December 2005, 13:22
UUUUUUUUuper hUuuuut!

Northernaa enad. yes.

SPORK
15th December 2005, 13:29
UUUUUUUUuper hUuuuut!

Northernaa enad. yes.

Sketchy_Racer
15th December 2005, 13:48
ok :calm:....

Coyote
1st January 2006, 12:00
I've finally got them out! Managed to lever the rod holding them in out with a flat head screwdriver. I'll be taking them into Motomart to get an opinion to how bad/good their condition is and wether they need replacing

Sketchy_Racer
2nd January 2006, 08:49
hope like fucking hell they dont need replacing....... they cost shit loads... mine were 1200 for the whole kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sketchy_Racer
2nd January 2006, 08:50
oh and could you clean them then post a pic???

Coyote
2nd January 2006, 08:57
I've cleaned them a bit already but I was going to do Ivan's trick later (oven cleaner and bag). I've only got my camera phone and all the pics are pretty fuzzy and its hard to see any detail. The pic I posted up before is the best it could do. I'll see if I can take a few pics with a standard camera and scan the photos and post them up soon.

And it's likely they'll need replacing, or there is something seriously wrong elsewhere

Why didn't I just get a race bike like this? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-43985776.htm

Sketchy_Racer
2nd January 2006, 11:14
na screw that, its too old to be compeditive and they want to much.

If i were you, and wanted to race hard out, do what im gonna do. Buy a RS125... start on that. It will teach you how to corner fast, and from what i hear, they are shit load of fun!!

Coyote
2nd January 2006, 11:34
na screw that, its too old to be compeditive and they want to much.

If i were you, and wanted to race hard out, do what im gonna do. Buy a RS125... start on that. It will teach you how to corner fast, and from what i hear, they are shit load of fun!!
When are you getting one? Are you still going to race the CBR first? I might see about a cheap 125GP bike for next season if all goes well on the RG. Ideally I would've race 125GP this year

Sketchy_Racer
2nd January 2006, 13:00
na ive given up on the cbr.... im gonna turn it into a street bike..... there are a few 125s around on here, but im realy interested in racerleos TZ125 ;)

oh and doooooo get a 125... i need some competition :lol:

Coyote
2nd January 2006, 14:31
na ive given up on the cbr.... im gonna turn it into a street bike..... there are a few 125s around on here, but im realy interested in racerleos TZ125 ;)

oh and doooooo get a 125... i need some competition :lol:
Well its too late now. The money from the CBR is going towards a bike for my Dad and to pay for rebulids to my brothers '04 KX125 whilst all money that I had to go into a bike was put into the RG

Sketchy_Racer
2nd January 2006, 16:42
bugger that sucks.... ah well

Coyote
11th January 2006, 10:47
Well, I'm putting the bike back together. I'm going to see if the powervalves are just gunged up and if the bike still doesn't run well I'll take it to the shop to get their opinion.

Now, what I need to know is: Where do those 2 springs go? If you don't know what springs I'm talking about, it's unlikely you'll know where they go cause they're the only springs there. When I opened up the powervalve chamber they were loose inside and so was the clip that holds them so I don't know where they go. Can anyone help? Once I know this I should be able to do the rest and get the bike running soon.

Coyote
11th January 2006, 12:06
Bumpity Bump. Where do those springs go?

riffer
11th January 2006, 12:50
Tried searching the site?

This question has been asked and answered before: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2427

Coyote
11th January 2006, 13:07
Tried searching the site?

This question has been asked and answered before: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2427
Nope sorry, still confused. What I need to know is what that clip attaches to and where do the springs go

riffer
11th January 2006, 14:10
Hmmmm. Try F5 Dave. He knows everything...:mellow:

Coyote
11th January 2006, 17:33
Hmmmm. Try F5 Dave. He knows everything...:mellow:
Just PM'd him now. Only reason for saying that is it bump this thread :p

Coyote
11th January 2006, 17:54
Eureka! I finally figured it out! Anyone with half a brain would've figured it out in a matter of minutes, but I figured it out anyway!

Although looks like I need new springs. In the photo from a previous post you can see the kinks on the top of them and the bracket can't hold on to them. Not sure what happened to the springs, they were loose inside the chamber along with the bracket and bolt that's meant to hold them and they were bent where the bracket holds onto the springs. I guess the bolt wasn't tightened enough and they fell out resulting as a loss of performance? What do I know, I haven't got half a brain :p

So it's a trip to Motomart to get new springs, then hopefully I can get the powervalves back together, then the radiator and plumbing and the bike will be rideable :2thumbsup

ZorsT
11th January 2006, 18:05
I just took one of mine apart... it was the same thing.

It happened because i had a bastard of a time un-doing the screw, so i didn't do it up tight when i put it back together last time...

this time, i'll be using an impact driver.

Aiolos
12th January 2006, 01:04
Design flaw maybe. The screw seems to come undone after 15000 km's or so. Maybe people just need to check em more often.

k14
12th January 2006, 05:49
I just took one of mine apart... it was the same thing.

It happened because i had a bastard of a time un-doing the screw, so i didn't do it up tight when i put it back together last time...

this time, i'll be using an impact driver.
Don't think an impact driver is necessary but the strongest strength loctite definately is.

Coyote
12th January 2006, 12:16
Went into Wellington Motorcycles today to order in new springs as the originals are stuffed. $3.50 each which isn't as much as I was expecting so that was good.

Would it be ok to get softer springs from a hardware store to use instead or is it best not to risk it? In the latest ADB mag they said softer springs increase top end power and I thought it might be worth a shot

k14
12th January 2006, 12:54
Went into Wellington Motorcycles today to order in new springs as the originals are stuffed. $3.50 each which isn't as much as I was expecting so that was good.

Would it be ok to get softer springs from a hardware store to use instead or is it best not to risk it? In the latest ADB mag they said softer springs increase top end power and I thought it might be worth a shot
Leave it how it is, unless you've got a budget for when things go wrong.

Anyway, isn't this bike for streetstock racing? "Stock" being the operative word, as in you aren't allowed to do modifications like that.

Coyote
12th January 2006, 17:51
Leave it how it is, unless you've got a budget for when things go wrong.

Anyway, isn't this bike for streetstock racing? "Stock" being the operative word, as in you aren't allowed to do modifications like that.
Yeah, it is streetstock <_<

Does F3 allow for more modifications or is that restricted too?

Ivan
12th January 2006, 18:09

you aloud in f3 to tune but then aint aloud in streetstock

Coyote
12th January 2006, 18:14
you aloud in f3 to tune but then aint aloud in streetstock
What are the rules governing aftermarket parts in F3?

Sketchy_Racer
13th January 2006, 08:43
im pretty sure its what ever you like!!

Bert
13th January 2006, 18:12

Keep it that way, (streetstock that is), as I'm comming out to play in that class and need to find people to follow around. RG disapointed that you flaging the CBR effort, the class looks like so much fun. Racing is racing and as long as you are out there doing it you are learning....... and then there is the braging rights when you win:buggerd:

Coyote
13th January 2006, 19:49
and then there is the braging rights when you win:buggerd:
How much bragging rights do I have for leading a race for a while then crashing?

Bert
14th January 2006, 08:05
How much bragging rights do I have for leading a race for a while then crashing?

not sure but it must go something like this : :scratch:
Your so slow that i could beat you while sitting on my ass....

Coyote
14th January 2006, 10:51
not sure but it must go something like this : :scratch:
Your so slow that i could beat you while sitting on my ass....
Wow, that sounds logical

Another question: What the hell is this thing with the big red arrow pointing to it? There is just a hole in it. Don't think I want a hole for grime to get into the cylinder

Aiolos
14th January 2006, 11:02
There is supposed to be a nipple for a breather hose there.
Thats for asking that. I went out to check, and discovered I forgot to put the hose back on mine last time (2 months ago) and its all caked with dirt and other assorted forms of crap.
Looks like its time to pull the radiator off.
:doh:

Coyote
14th January 2006, 11:13
There is supposed to be a nipple for a breather hose there.
Thats for asking that. I went out to check, and discovered I forgot to put the hose back on mine last time (2 months ago) and its all caked with dirt and other assorted forms of crap.
Looks like its time to pull the radiator off.
:doh:
So what does this hose look like? Looks like its another trip to Wellington Motorcycles :pinch:

Thought I was going to get it running today

Aiolos
14th January 2006, 11:16
That pic shows the nipple. Best I can do sorry.
Should be alright to run, if you can be bothered taking the radiator back off to stick the nipple on later.

Coyote
14th January 2006, 11:18
That pic shows the nipple. Best I can do sorry.
Should I be able to get away with putting over electrical tape over it just to test ride it? Will I have to take the Radiator off to put the new nipple on when I get it?

Aiolos
14th January 2006, 11:24
Probably. Unless you have hands like the asian children what assembled the bike. I don't know how it is attached, though i can find out for you soonish.

Coyote
14th January 2006, 11:25
Probably. Unless you have hands like the asian children what assembled the bike.
Ah well, I'll give it a shot. Off to the gargre!

Aiolos
14th January 2006, 11:40
On closer inspection, mine just has a splined knob which i presume the nipple fits onto. No sign of the hose or nipple though, so p'raps mine didn't have one either. Odd.

Side note: Does anyone have documentation (or can clearly explain) on adjusting the powervalve cables?

edit: 111 posts. Woo!
edit 2: Found the bugger. hiding behind the carburetor. Its attached to the 'white bubble thing' from previous threads.

Coyote
14th January 2006, 15:55
Well the RG is back together and running. Taken it for a decent test ride, no real change in power unfortunately. Still kinda jumpy

Aiolos
14th January 2006, 16:13
What do you mean by jumpy?

I didn't even notice that the screw had come undone on mine for a while. Only way I could tell is because the valves would jam open if you pull in the clutch above 8k.

Coyote
14th January 2006, 16:20
What do you mean by jumpy?

The power goes in and out all the time. It's struggles at very low rpm, then goes all out but still going in and out a few times up to 8000rpm, then hits a flat spot (when going up a hill it'll sit at 8000rpm at full throttle), then goes up to 12000rpm fairly quick but it won't go past that up to redline

Coyote
14th January 2006, 16:23
And I say 'jumpy' cause it'll lurch out then engine break a bit then lurch out, etc.

Aiolos
14th January 2006, 16:35
Struggling at low rpm is pretty normal. 6k there is a bit of a jump (I think) then it dies a bit at 8-8.5, just before the powervalves fully open. Sometimes it surges around here as the powervalves can't decide to be open or closed, a problem I'm trying to fix. In all but top, and sometimes 5th, mine will easily bounce off the limiter.

Could be carburetion?

Coyote
14th January 2006, 16:48
Could be carburetion?
Yeah, Zorst was saying that's possbile. Might have a go cleaning them and I was planning to get it tuned on a Dyno before I even got the bike

Aiolos
14th January 2006, 21:27
ON a completely different note, how the HELL did you get 323 in fly sui? I have trouble getting 13.

Coyote
15th January 2006, 08:01
ON a completely different note, how the HELL did you get 323 in fly sui? I have trouble getting 13.
Good hand-eye coordination and a lot of free time :p

Aiolos
16th January 2006, 15:39
Strangely enough, after trying to clean the powervalves, my bike seems to have developed the same problem. It will pull to redline in 1st, but not any other gear.

Have you fixed the problem on your bike yet?

Sketchy_Racer
16th January 2006, 16:23
Keep it that way, (streetstock that is), as I'm comming out to play in that class and need to find people to follow around. RG disapointed that you flaging the CBR effort, the class looks like so much fun. Racing is racing and as long as you are out there doing it you are learning....... and then there is the braging rights when you win:buggerd:

Dont give up hope yet..... it turns out a 125 GP bike may be a little bit too expensive for me. so ill be selling the CBR and getting a 150SS !!

Coyote
16th January 2006, 17:28
Strangely enough, after trying to clean the powervalves, my bike seems to have developed the same problem. It will pull to redline in 1st, but not any other gear.

Have you fixed the problem on your bike yet?
Haven't fixed it yet. Since I have done as much as my limited knowledge will allow I took it into the shop for them to have a look over it. I'll let you know what's the problem once I get it back in X number of days

Coyote
16th January 2006, 17:30
Dont give up hope yet..... it turns out a 125 GP bike may be a little bit too expensive for me. so ill be selling the CBR and getting a 150SS !!
Awesome! Why sell the CBR though? It makes a good race bike, and yours is in rough enough condition to not worry about totalling it isn't it?

Sketchy_Racer
16th January 2006, 18:58
yea kinda.... its on the mend... I want to sell it as a road bike, cause its still regesered, which means i will get more money for it, meaning i can buy a fugly RG150 and have a little spare dosh to buy some gear :yes:

then i can change mi name to RG150!! woohoo!! :p

Aiolos
16th January 2006, 23:47
Turned out it was the bit circled in the picture. It just wasn't on properly the first or second times.

Coyote
17th January 2006, 15:38
Turned out it was the bit circled in the picture. It just wasn't on properly the first or second times.
Yeah. That might've been the problem in the first place and the problem I had after cleaning the valves. Hopefully Motomart should sort it all out

Coyote
31st January 2006, 11:29
Got the RG back from Motomart. They de-coked the exhaust, fixed the powervalves (one was stuck open) and sorted out the jetting.

I haven't taken a proper ride on it yet, just rode it home. It does have a lot more power, it has a much smoother power delivery, it reaches redline faster and I don't need to shift down a few times before it gets moving. It does seem to sound tinnier now and it vibrates a lot more though. I could feel my nails rattling off.

It's meant to be running as good as it can now. The CBR was faster

Aiolos
31st January 2006, 20:10
The cbr has a few more horses than the RG.

Coyote
1st February 2006, 09:52
Yeah, seems a bit unfair that they compete against the 150s in streetstock. I'm not a very good rider but the CBR gave me the advantage to fly ahead of some very good riders

Monsterbishi
1st February 2006, 09:54

It also has quite a few more kilo's to haul.

SPORK
1st February 2006, 10:48
It also has quite a few more kilo's to haul.
But it has an overall better power to weight ratio, I'm willing to bet.

Jamezo
1st February 2006, 14:18
Not to mention a far better spread of power. If you're lazy about keeping the revs up, expect to be blitzed by a 4/ 250.

JeremyW
18th September 2006, 13:07
I am just about to enter the wonderful world of RG150 ownership and I was wondering if there was any way of knowing if the power valves are functioning properly without taking the engine to bits?

I recently rode one I really liked but when I got to about 10000rpm in 2nd it was pissing and farting and didnt want to go any further? It had only just warmed up (on a coldish night), could this be the problem, or does it sound liek an expensive PV prob?

Any advice would be much apprecited.

Jeaves
18th September 2006, 13:13
Where in Auckland are you located? i can come round and have a look for ya or vice versa .

Otherwise search the forums , theres a few posts with info on testing along with pictures .

Nice choice in bike by the way :yes:

Edit , i see you hav'nt got the bike yet so until then search is your friend .

JeremyW
18th September 2006, 14:24
Where in Auckland are you located? i can come round and have a look for ya or vice versa .

Otherwise search the forums , theres a few posts with info on testing along with pictures .

Nice choice in bike by the way :yes:

Edit , i see you hav'nt got the bike yet so until then search is your friend .

Thanks for the offer mate, I will probably take you up on it when I bring it up to Aux. Found out my TR110 is gonna take a bit longer to get fixed so I will have to wait until next week to get the RG150. Damn parts coming from Japan taking so long!

Coyote
18th September 2006, 18:08
I am just about to enter the wonderful world of RG150 ownership and I was wondering if there was any way of knowing if the power valves are functioning properly without taking the engine to bits?

I recently rode one I really liked but when I got to about 10000rpm in 2nd it was pissing and farting and didnt want to go any further? It had only just warmed up (on a coldish night), could this be the problem, or does it sound liek an expensive PV prob?

Any advice would be much apprecited.
Well it may not have warmed up yet. You should give it about 5 minutes standing still on idle before riding it. RGs run too cool over here as well since they were designed to run in Indonesia. Taping up a 3rd of the radiator will make the bike run warmer

Generally if theres a problem with the powervalves alone the engine will be smooth up to 8000rpm then the power will die and the engine will sound like its struggling, and when it eventually rises to 9000rpm it'll carry on screaming towards redline

I'm still no expert though, this is just some info I've picked up over the months I've owned my RG. By the way, I like the RG so much I'm buying another! Jamezo is selling me his wrecked one :D The money will help him get an RGV

ZorsT
18th September 2006, 18:55
Well it may not have warmed up yet. You should give it about 5 minutes standing still on idle before riding it. RGs run too cool over here as well since they were designed to run in Indonesia. Taping up a 3rd of the radiator will make the bike run warmer

Generally if theres a problem with the powervalves alone the engine will be smooth up to 8000rpm then the power will die and the engine will sound like its struggling, and when it eventually rises to 9000rpm it'll carry on screaming towards redline

I'm still no expert though, this is just some info I've picked up over the months I've owned my RG. By the way, I like the RG so much I'm buying another! Jamezo is selling me his wrecked one :D The money will help him get an RGV
sweet news mate

the first step to being like me is owning the same number of bikes

JeremyW
19th September 2006, 07:25
Thanks for the advice. I am quite looking forward to getting my mits on one :)

snot
20th September 2006, 19:11
I recently rode one I really liked but when I got to about 10000rpm in 2nd it was pissing and farting and didnt want to go any further? It had only just warmed up (on a coldish night), could this be the problem, or does it sound liek an expensive PV prob?Any advice would be much apprecited.

Jeremy- if you're referring to my bike you took for a ride last weekend then it would have still been cold when you tried revving the nuts off it. Hence the nasty spluttering sound! :msn-wink:

JeremyW
20th September 2006, 20:11
Yea, I didnt realise how long they took to warm up, I was trying to be careful :) honest.

I would apologise for doing that to your bike but it is now my bike (yay!) so I will have to get angry at myself :mad:

snot
25th September 2006, 19:18
HAHA, sweet dude :niceone: