PDA

View Full Version : Three go wild in the waikato....

XTC
14th December 2005, 16:32
North waikato gravel road ride.....

Three of us (XTC, Cary, Rogson) left Les Batkin Reserve at precisely about 12.15 because one of us was late (sorry guys). Headed out through Onewhero turning onto Klondyke road. This road is a bit like the motu only shorter. From there it was on to Port waikato. Stopped at the wharf store then on to limestone downs. From here we turned off onto Baker Rd thru to Wairamarama then on to Brien road. Brien/ponganui is an awesome stretch of road that can be ridden real hard. (Had the needle pushing 130 at one stage.) From here it was onto Onewhero Road the right onto Kauri then to Logan onto SH22 left to Te Ahu then onto the Pukekawa-churchill road to Rangiriri where we stopped for refreshments at the tavern. From there it was back the way we'd come to SH22 and then home.
Thanks Cary and Roger for making today as good as it was. Will do another in the new year on a weekend for those that couldn't make this one.
Andy (XTC)

XTC
14th December 2005, 16:36
But wait there's more....

XTC
14th December 2005, 16:37
And more....

Motu
14th December 2005, 17:04
Aaah,I'm having my own refreshments now...I'll just pretend I'm in the Rangariri Tavern.Did you go up Baker rd and turn right? That's a nice road,a real greenback that sees little traffic.I was on all those roads a couple of weeks ago,but I never get tired of them.Looks like some fresh gravel has been layed somewhere....what road? Do they still have the pumps at the Port Waikato store? If we all go down that way next year I'd like that to be my refill spot....and the way they pull pumps out these days you can get caught out.Anyway,lucky buggers and I hope you enjoyed your ride - how did that Suzuki do amoungst the Yamaha's?

XTC
14th December 2005, 17:12
pump is still at the port waikato store. Brien road has lotsa nice fresh brown gravel that is super smooth and surprisingly grippy. Suzuki was just fine. Roger has fitted the DR650 21" front wheel and a matching set of MT21 pirelli's.

Cary
14th December 2005, 17:50
Thanks for leading the way Andy.

Is that roost I can see in the 2nd shot:banana:

Good photos, we shoulda um...... got some of you:doh:

Warr
14th December 2005, 18:02
Great looking bits of road you found there. I'm sure my road bike would have looked out of place with all those knobble tyres around. You would have had to done some editing with Photo Shop. But what the heck I'd have still given it a good go having travelled a bit of gravel. ! Catch you on the next one perhaps !!

XTC
14th December 2005, 18:55
Your XJ would probably be better than the VFR but it's all rideable on a road bike. My last bike was a 1990 VFR750FL.......

rogson
14th December 2005, 19:46
Thanks XTC, and Cary - very enjoyable afternoon. What was everyone else doing again? - oh yeah, working!

Great ride - great company - great beer - great (but late) chips!

oldrider
7th January 2006, 20:32
Interesting ride report and pics. I looked up on the map where you were and I think I have it right.
Its an area of NZ I have never been to, the roads look great and appear to be in good condition but quite a bit of the roly poly gravels scattered across the top. Do they get graded frequently?
The traffic use looks lighter than I would have imagined for so close to so many major cities or did you just wait for a good time to get the pics?
I am hoping to get up into that area for a look around next time we go up North (Mrs O/R and I) for a holiday on our bike. Don't know when. Cheers John.

XTC
7th January 2006, 21:50
The ride i'm leading tomorrow is about three times the length of that one. Only using a couple of the roads in this ride to get to the coast road down to Te Akau. Traffic is always light on these back roads as they really don't go anywhere of interest to your average Aucklander. You'll maybe see 10 cars if you happen to be out that way near 3.00pm on a weekday as the mums are out picking up their kids from school (the ones that don't take the bus that is). Not sure how often the roads are graded but were graded only days before this ride.
Glad you enjoyed the ride report but the actual ride was heaps better :)
If ever you are up this way I'm more than happy to show you around. (gotta spare room and a bike space in the garage if you need some where to stay for a few days too.)
- Andy.