PDA

View Full Version : taupo track day bike prep

scooterboynz
14th December 2005, 21:40
just given the old zx10r an oil change , removed the rear number plate assembly , new brake fluid (last time my brakes faded due to over heating) so have a race fluid with a higher boiling point , also have the headlights taped up , chain lubed and all fairing fasteners checked , oh and a bit of a polish , all to do now is chuck it on the trailer on saturday and pray to the sun gods!

Test Pilot
15th December 2005, 14:01
yeah wonder what happens if it rains, stuff putting it all at risk when you cant even go fast. You forgot about the centre stand, would hate for that to come down by mistake. just take an axle stand to rest it on, or a proper stand if you got 1

bugjuice
15th December 2005, 14:03
yup, doing exactly the same thing to mine tonight and tomorrow night..
she'll be tickin over sweetly.
The sidestand tucks in well out of the way on these bikes TP..

Devil
15th December 2005, 14:23
Yus, tonight is prep night (after I use up some gas first).
Mirrors off, radiator cowling and indicators off. Cowling mounts off. Headlights taped. Bit of a wash would be good too. Clean and lube chain.

bugjuice
15th December 2005, 15:09
actually, I need to know that what I've done, doesn't affect it's speed. So I'll have to do a speed test. The SH1 clears out late at night, should be fine for that.. All in the name of 'prep' of course

Hoon
15th December 2005, 16:10
Yeah leave the side stand on. I even keep it on my race bike just for the convenience and I only take it off before scrutineering for race meets.

No mirrors, lights and plate were worth an extra 10-20kph on my zxr400.

DEATH_INC.
15th December 2005, 17:19
Prep you say....might go see if I can get it out from under the other junk in the shed (bruces TL mostly :Pokey: ) and put some gas in it then :mellow :

Test Pilot
16th December 2005, 10:49
im gana take the side stand off when i get there, not to keen on having anything like that on the bike. Plus less weight means more speed

bugjuice
16th December 2005, 12:22
changed the oil in the sexy3sexy last night, and fook me, what a diff it makes. It's done close to 4,000ks since the last change, and I figured that this weekend and next friday (Puke), it's gonna get a raping, so be nice to it.. The clutch is lighter, the gear select is more positive, the engine feels a bit more relaxed..
I'd recommend it, and good stuff too, not the cheap stuff. Oils - you get what you pay for..

Still can't see what the point of taking the sidestand off for. Most bikes have them very tightly tucked in already, so you aren't going to catch it. You'd take out your rear sets before you got close to the kickstand

madboy
16th December 2005, 13:09
Yep, after I've ridden the bike home from work today, I'll put it in the garage. Then sometime mid morning tomorrow I'm gonna pull it out, and push it up onto the trailer. Then I'm gonna curse myself for being too lazy to wash two months worth of grime off it. Can't be arsed taking off the mirrors/indicators. Of course, I'll really be cursing when I drop it... And if I can find the plate I'll make sure it's not on the bike. I MIGHT remember to pack the chain lube, and there's gas stations in Taupo ain't there?

Now does anyone know if tyres need air in them, or do they come preset from factory?

FROSTY
16th December 2005, 14:39
im gana take the side stand off when i get there, not to keen on having anything like that on the bike. Plus less weight means more speed
tHE SECRET IS--TAKE IT OFF THEN GRAB A BIG SCREWDRIVER TO JAM IN THE BOLT HOLE -ESY REMOVED SIDE STAND

BLACKYOSHI1000
16th December 2005, 22:11
gave my old shitta a wash took a few bit`s off less to pick up if i bin it :doctor: check chain `changed oil` plugged lap top in and wound up the yoshi`s power curve :blip:
hope a few stay over sunday night for a bit of a yarn :drinknsin
see ya`s tomorrow

White trash
17th December 2005, 06:42

Yup. The 300g saved is gonna make a HUGE difference to your lap times.

BLACKYOSHI1000
17th December 2005, 06:48
yup. the 300g saved is gonna make a huge difference to your lap times.
that reminds must have a good dump sunday morning :moon:

White trash
17th December 2005, 06:54
plugged lap top in and wound up the yoshi`s power curve :blip:
hope a few stay over sunday night for a bit of a yarn :drinknsin
see ya`s tomorrow

You'd wanna tune in the midrange for Taupo. Gixxer thou's don't use a whole lotta revs around there.

FROSTY
17th December 2005, 11:33
MAJOR weight saving for gixxer thous--remove top two gear ratio's --ya wont use em so best to remove em