PDA

View Full Version : Is God a biker??

Skyryder
6th March 2004, 21:25
Just thought that I would stir up the pot a bit or may be light up the pot instead if you get my drift. Never came across a biker forum with so much religious comments. Now don't get me wrong everyone to their own but what religion has to do with a biker forum I am not too sure. So this threads for all the gsus types and any others who may be lurking out there. Hopefully this will satisfy their spiritual needs and with luck the scriptures will be left here instead of there.

Skyryder :devil2:

Andrew
6th March 2004, 21:31
Just seems like a good excuse for you to have a go at shit stirring! :bash:

bondagebunny
6th March 2004, 22:18
God so the question is mute

Zed
6th March 2004, 22:33
there is no God so the question is mute
Psalms 53:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good.

The shoe fits you Bunny!

bondagebunny
6th March 2004, 22:43
have you ever had an idea of your own - every time you have something to say it comes from some elses book.

try thinking for your bloody self and stop being a parrot

Zed
6th March 2004, 22:49
...Now don't get me wrong everyone to their own but what religion has to do with a biker forum I am not too sure...
I'm not completely sure of your intentions Skyryder, but here goes anyway-

It must first be made clear that religion is not God and God is not religion! Religion is something that man believes and practises, while God is a person who can be known personally and worshipped as such.

In short, God is omnipresent (everywhere at once), God is omniscient (all-knowing), God is omnipotent (all-powerful), He is the Almighty and is involved in EVERYONES life whether they regard it or not!

This is His world and he controls it as he sees fit (in perfect judgment & righteousness)...why then would he not be involved in this mere biker forum?

Zed :innocent:

Lou Girardin
7th March 2004, 05:23
Everytime, without fail.
Bondagebunny, the word is moot.
Lou

Holy Roller
7th March 2004, 05:44
I'm not completely sure of your intentions Skyryder, but here goes anyway-

It must first be made clear that religion is not God and God is not religion! Religion is something that man believes and practises, while God is a person who can be known personally and worshipped as such.

In short, God is omnipresent (everywhere at once), God is omniscient (all-knowing), God is omnipotent (all-powerful), He is the Almighty and is involved in EVERYONES life whether they regard it or not!

This is His world and he controls it as he sees fit (in perfect judgment & righteousness)...why then would he not be involved in this mere biker forum?

Zed :innocent:

Technically
If one has surrenderd their life to God, God lives within them and therefore is present where ever one chooses to be.
Philosophically
What we say reflects mainly what we believe but our actions determin what we really believe.
Personally
For us people of the Book it is our "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth" BIBLE) therefore it is an important and essential guide that permiates our very being. So Zed is right when he says "why then would he not be involved in this mere biker forum?" :)

FzerozeroT
7th March 2004, 07:09
I was thinking about stirring it up in the rave on forums 'online personas'. Zed - you mentioned something about motorcycles being man made, as we were created in his own image we therefore should have the same basic mindset ( albeit not so brainy, and a bit more primative ) so are bikes truly only a creation of mans?

Zed
7th March 2004, 08:01
...Zed - you mentioned something about motorcycles being man made, as we were created in his own image we therefore should have the same basic mindset ( albeit not so brainy, and a bit more primative ) so are bikes truly only a creation of mans?
That question is not really open for debate in my mind. When you start attributing things that man invents/creates to God using the "we were created in his image" argument, I think some of you are getting too spiritual for your own good!

Some of my other thoughts have already been posted on the previous thread.

Zed

bondagebunny
7th March 2004, 09:21
you are correct - it was late

bondagebunny
7th March 2004, 09:36
That question is not really open for debate in my mind. When you start attributing things that man invents/creates to God using the "we were created in his image" argument, I think some of you are getting too spiritual for your own good!

Some of my other thoughts have already been posted on the previous thread.

Zed

your parrot like rantigs come from a book - supposedly written by god - but translated by prisoners and convicts. WHo knows what jokes they played on the unsuspecting public of the day - they are probably still lauging in their graves.

curious george
7th March 2004, 13:09
Not really on God/bike topic, but an interesting book I recently read was 'The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown. A fantastic work of fiction, but with enough fact present to make it very 'beliveable'.
It's the evil that men do, in the belief they are right, rather than any other entity. Of course, who is wrong and right depends on which side of the fence you sit on. Not a knock against Zed or anybody else here :hug:

Ahhhhh, anyway, great book, sorry no motorbikes though, and a damn fine art history lesson too!
/sorry, back on topic

*shuffles back to cave*

wkid_one
7th March 2004, 13:50
Haven't we already done this fucken argument to death?

Does God Approve of your Motorcycle Riding? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/search.php?searchid=19482)

to continue this conversation, email someonewhogivesafuck because at the the end of the day - what does it matter if he isn't?

Zed
7th March 2004, 15:04
Haven't we already done this fucken argument to death?

Does God Approve of your Motorcycle Riding? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/search.php?searchid=19482)

to continue this conversation, email someonewhogivesafuck because at the the end of the day - what does it matter if he isn't?
Your language has no place on this thread! :angry2:

If you can't respect some of us enough to control your filthy mouth, who cares what you think anyway? Not me that's for sure!

wkid_one
7th March 2004, 15:08
It is just tooooooo easy......I don't know why I bothered because the reaction was entirely expected.

You really need to learn to sing a different tune - this one is getting boring.

Sycophant
7th March 2004, 16:10

If you can't respect some of us enough to control your filthy mouth, who cares what you think anyway? Not me that's for sure!

Language is simply a tool to express outselves. No words are specifically bad, or good. People choose to express themselves in different ways. For many of us, words like fu*k (and I am censoring it only so as you might be inclined to read my comments without simply writing the off as useless) offer a degree of meaning that emphisis that no other words can offer.

I do not understand the people who seem to believe that words can cause more harm that many other things in our society that are left unchallanged. The words in question are only offensive to people because those people are told that they are offensive. The context in which we use the words is often not offensive at all.

More laughable to me is the acceptance of censorship by obfustication or replacement. The idea of beeping out a word, using a substitute, or in written communication, replacing letters. If you watch TV and hear "I am going to kick your BEEPing head in" you know what was said, does the fact that the sound was not heard make it better? When someone (and I know a lot of religious people who do this) stubs their toe and exclaims "oh fudge!" their are simply replacing one word for another, the meaning and intent is the same. And when I type F**K, everyone knows what I mean, and if you were to read it aloud, you would probably utter the actual word.

How is that any better?

Let people express themselves in the manner they see fit, and if you do not like it then express yourself differently.

Also, just while I am ranting...

If I were of another religion or strongly atheist, this might offend me. The idea that a christian god is involved in my life. As you said yourself, Religion is something that man believes and practises - to me this seems to imply that religion is a very personal thing - and it is. It's in this way that quoting scripture, while very relevant to you, and I wouldn't dream of denying you that, can seem condecending, annoying and even insulting to others. Others who by their own judgement hold different beliefs and practice other things.

I'm not saying you shouldn't but understand that things that are right and just to you are not to others.

This has been a slightly odd rant. That's all.

Nouseforaname
7th March 2004, 16:34
I think most religious people are weak, when something goes wrong in your life you instantly turn to your god, cos your too week to sort it out for yourself. I get by just fine in life without having to run to my imaganary friend.

Any person i know who is religious never lives their life to their beliefs, they break all the rules but then say it's ok, cos they will be forgiven.

Two people i know had to hide the fact that they were living together before marriage, cos they didnt want to loose face in front of their other nut case religious mates.

have i offended anyone? i dont give a fuck, you offend me everytime you quote scripture, you offend me everytime you come up to me in the street and starting telling me my life is worthless cos i dont share the same belief as you, you offend me everytime you hand me bullshit pieces of paper on queen st on saturday night when im out with my mates. You Offend me when you come to my house at 8am trying to give me books! You offend me when i cant go out and have a beer cos of a dumb religious holiday!

:laugh:

wkid_one
7th March 2004, 16:37
Isn't Easter just like that tho.....why do all us non-practising NZer's have to have a religious holiday shoved down our throats? Surely those non-religious retailers etc should be able to choose to open their shop?

Are those with religion soo weak willed that they need the shops closed etc to prevent them from NOT observing the holiday?

Easter/Xmas piss me off every year......as it legislates against free will.

Wenier
7th March 2004, 17:26
I think this should have been in the Off Topic section as it is a subject thats gonna get a few people all up in arms about others answers.

But the way i see it GOD doesnt have anything to do with this world but then im not religous and i agree with WKID ONE y do we have to suffer of shops being closed for a religous holiday when were not religous

PS i no i cant spell so dont bother correcting me and i feel like shit which sends all that spellin downhill :)

dangerous
7th March 2004, 17:30

I am NOT religious but DO intiley agree with Zed here because
Whilest I sweer as bad as the next bloke I do NOT sweer in frount of females or JC bashers, me mum and the older generation, because it is about respect of which there isent enough of these days and that is why I generaly wont here.
If you have the need too then try using a icon (smilie) or two as that is why thay are there
Wicked's posts do nothing for me when filled with F this & F that I think that more intelergent words can be used. As some of his posts are well thought out and writen.

wkid_one
7th March 2004, 18:13
I refer to the online personas - I am the same offline and online and not going to temper the way I speak to suit typing.

I am sick of religious spoutings and am no less offender by this. Funny how swearing has made it in to main stream movies etc tho isn't it?....I will stop swearing when others stop preaching. Until then....f*ck it

dangerous
7th March 2004, 18:35
Wkd: ITs nothing personal aye, I will not stand for religious spoutings either but as for the bible quotes.......well they go over my head anyway I just ignore them, end of. I think that it adds topic having the likes of Zed and company here even if I dont believe a word they say.....but hay thats cool
As for the movies in that case you get a warning about the langage so you can chose to or not to see it were as here the posts are in ya face.
As far as me sweering like I said above theres some people I wont in frount of and those people are here, and I can not choose who reads my posts so instead of spelling the word correctly (which i have trouble with anyway) I might spell it fak or shite :apint:

Zed
7th March 2004, 19:05
So this threads for all the gsus types and any others who may be lurking out there.
In my years of talking to different people about God and other spiritual matters, I have found a very interesting phenomenon indeed- that those who are most against this subject are that way because of one of two reasons:

1. They have been affected negatively by religious hypocrites at some point in their life, normally childhood, and want nothing to do with it.

2. They are in fact searching for truth and are all talk!

Some of the most outspoken, filthy mouthed, rotten beggars who ever condemned God and Christianity ended up realising that their behaviour was all a show and that in their heart of hearts they wanted to believe and hope in God! :msn-wink:

Zed

Firefight
7th March 2004, 19:11
I don,t recall any rule about language when I joined up,

And while I do not go out of my way to upset people.

I don,t care if someone takes offence, beacuse I know that I did not intend

it to happen, as far as all the other ramblings biblical quotes or whatever

If I do not like the sorce I have found the ignore function thingy will atleast

Cut out the original quote.

Firefight :crazy:

dangerous
7th March 2004, 19:36
In my years of talking to different people about God and other spiritual matters, I have found a very interesting phenomenon indeed- that those who are most against this subject are that way because of one of two reasons:

1. They have been affected negatively by religious hypocrites at some point in their life, normally childhood, and want nothing to do with it.

2. They are in fact searching for truth and are all talk!

Some of the most outspoken, filthy mouthed, rotten beggars who ever condemned God and Christianity ended up realising that their behaviour was all a show and that in their heart of hearts they wanted to believe and hope in God! :msn-wink:

Zed

Dude..........like I said 'Wayyyyyyyyyyy over my head' :wacko: :msn-wink:

Ps: Skyryder.........Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp you Guzzie riding bastard look what you got me into :niceone:

Big Dog
8th March 2004, 17:17
God must be a biker and here is the logic.
Why else would it be so much fun?
why else would the average biker be moree intelligent than the average cager?
Why else would we be better lovers?
Why else would we be better looking?
Why else would we be more attractive to the opposite sex (you try "pulling" with a $6k car)?
Why else would kids look up to and worship even those on tractors (harleys)?
Why else does every lifestyle rider look like they are trying out for the part of Jesus in the local play?
Name one other minority less persecuted by the moral majority?

$10 bucks says he let us build bikes because they look like fun and he wanted a go.................. Now who knows what god rides?

Coldkiwi
8th March 2004, 18:02
so I guess all you folk who are so 'offended' by having easter and christmas 'forced down your throat' (now was that by the church down the road from you or Farmers and Kmart?) hold fast to your principles and keep working on through right? or is it not really that offensive to you?

I'm gonna agree with Zed that negative perceptions of god are often borne out of bad experiences with people supposedly representing him. isn't it a shame christians aren't perfect then we wouldn't have any mixups!

i'll get back to this later but I need to go out

Jackrat
8th March 2004, 18:57
so I guess all you folk who are so 'offended' by having easter and christmas 'forced down your throat' (now was that by the church down the road from you or Farmers and Kmart?) hold fast to your principles and keep working on through right? or is it not really that offensive to you?

I'm gonna agree with Zed that negative perceptions of god are often borne out of bad experiences with people supposedly representing him. isn't it a shame christians aren't perfect then we wouldn't have any mixups!

i'll get back to this later but I need to go out
Oh goodie while your out I can have a turn. :msn-wink:
Anyway Zed is right,I was raised a Catholic,they were full of shit,My step mother is C of E,they are even more full of shit and enjoy picking on little kids.
I had a long talk with some Jehovas witnesses a while back,They got real angrey when I mentioned another religion I have studyed, like line em' up an shoot em' type angrey,so I reckon they is full of shit to.
People like Zed that quote scriptures leave me behind because I can never work out what their saying fast enough to keep up with the conversation,Plus I get the feeling that they feel superior to me because of that,I mean if they have something to say why can,t they say it in a way that can be understood by dumb fuks like me.I reckon if god was a for real biker he wouldn't speak in a language I can't understand.
He also wouldn't allow things like booze an weed an then say "don't touch".
And if it's all about free will, then how come mine is so weak,That hardly seems fair.Nah,if god was for real I don't think he would be a biker.
To much fun involved.plus he would be no good at it,always watching the speedo rather than the road.Can't brake the law of the land ya' know.
He would have to issue himself a ticket every time he broke the speed limit.
Plus to many of his boys like playing with other little boys an that don't go down to well in biker circles.He'd probably cop a floging for leting it go on.

Kwaka-Kid
8th March 2004, 19:49
crikey! what a post, well i just spent hte last 20mins reading all this trying to keep up and understand, but i have to be honest, half this christian stuff is over my head, i guess A-stream all through high school and all passes through SC and SFC just sint good enough :( -not meaning that to be offensive, but DUDE do you guys loose me? just makes me feel like i have no chance of knowing god if i dont understand any of what he does/says? Us simple people keep it simple :) i buy a bike i like, i ride the bike i like. If god does ride, i hope he follows the same idea-it really works!

wkid_one
8th March 2004, 20:02
so I guess all you folk who are so 'offended' by having easter and christmas 'forced down your throat' (now was that by the church down the road from you or Farmers and Kmart?)No - by an archiac government who foundation is still deeply rooted in religion in fears of isolating an aging and declining segment of society. Here is a question...how many people who enjoy these 'religious' holidays - actually appreciate them for what they are?? I would guess most just see it as time off....with no religious implications/complications. Is this not worse? People abusing the holy days of Christ just to sit at home and commit a multitude of sins - Gluttony, Wrath, Envy, Adultery, Sloth........(yes I did just watch Seven - great movie that)....A nicw irony really.

hold fast to your principles and keep working on through right? or is it not really that offensive to you?Would happily if there was any point - but with 99.99% of the population skiving off - what is the point in working. I am sorry - but the whole xmas holiday thing is a pain in the arse......it is a speed bump in a busy season.

Quite frankly I would happily forgo the hellishly busy period before xmas, then the dead period after and the hellishly busy period that follows that.

As an aside - many business now only close the required periods - showing you that religion is having less and less influence on society's choices

I'm gonna agree with Zed that negative perceptions of god are often borne out of bad experiences with people supposedly representing him. isn't it a shame christians aren't perfect then we wouldn't have any mixups!A generalisation here for I personally have had no real bad experiences with any religious zealots or people for that matter. I have more concerns with the manner in which religion has been used as an excuse for atrocities even since its 'creation' by man. I have no problem with a person offering me a book - as I can choose to tell him to piss off if I like (or I can have some fun with him and f*ck with his head). I have still yet to see any demonstrable proof to validate Gods existance - but am waiting.

Also - I am yet to have any proof as to WHICH religion is correct? Decisions decisions - Hindu, Buddist, Catholic, Pagan, Rastafarian, etc etc etc. No one has yet been able to convince me as to the fact that believing in God is the true path to righteousness. What if all this time - Budda is actually the true God - and all the Catholics in the world have been praying in sin to the incorrect 'god'? Now don't go quoting the bible saying GOD is the only true deity as I bet they all say that!

In fear of pissing the correct 'god' off - I will wait until I have undisputeable proof as to the correct one before paying homage. Personally my money rest with the Egyptians....look at what they accomplished in their stay on this planet....surely they must have had the blessing of their gods (and Cleopatra certainly appears to have been a hotty!)

I agree entirely with JR (shit that is hard to say :eek: :eek: )

Now I am off to read the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Holy Karan......

Yamahamaman
8th March 2004, 20:18
Personally my money rest with the Egyptians....look at what they accomplished in their stay on this planet....surely they must have had the blessing of their gods (and Cleopatra certainly appears to have been a hotty!)

They were all Christian before Moses pissed off saying "Don't do anything until I get back" and they didn't (the pyramids had already been built by then) and so the mozzies came. In Historical terms, Allah is quite a recent Deity.

Skyryder
8th March 2004, 20:49
There are many reasons why we post on forums. Some of us do have something to impart to out fellow enthusiasts by way of ideas, experience knowledge etc. Some are just curious, and I have no doubt that many come here for a little light-hearted entertainment. :yeah: The reason we post and read each others posts ultimately are to be informed and perhaps a little entertainment to boot. :shake: I will endeavour to do both.

I asked a very simple straightforward question. Is God a biker and what do I get for my trouble? An accusation that I am “shit stirring” Now I can assure you all there is not any shit in my pot and when I come across some good shit I can honestly say that it is rolled and not stirred. Baking is not my thing.

But I digress. Is God a biker? :ride: I personally have not come experienced him in my travels but there are many bikers who have: usually at a time when a cager cuts them off, or a corner is taken a tad too fast or other such close encounters of the 1st 2nd or 3rd kind where visions flash by in a matter of seconds. “Holy shit” is the expression that says it all for me. There are many others but at the risk of being called a blasphemer I will refrain from the more common utterances that we are all familiar with. Whilst this is not definitive proof that God is a biker it certainly suggests to me that he does on occasions ride with us where his presence is felt if not actually seen.

However recent archaeological findings not only give a whole new meaning to the bible but also clearly indicate Gsus and the D gang rode cruisers. :2thumbsup

It was recently reported in the fundamentalist rag Holier Than Thou, that a new undiscovered scroll has been found. Holier Than Thou reported a blind suicide bomber, believing that he/she (the bomber sex remains unknown) was on a bus, blew themselves up. In actual fact the bomber was standing in the middle of the road and the blast uncovered an unknown vault containing an undiscovered version of the bible. The discovery is being hailed as proof positive that God works in mysterious ways, Holier Than Thou reported. This newly discovered version of the bible is now being translated and will replace the revised version, the modern version, the vitalised version viagravised version and including the homogenised and the non-aligned version. Scholars have named the new bible as the Be Advised Version.

Emeritus Professor Shittum Wood has confirmed that a new teaching of Gsus has been discovered.

The parable of the Dipstick has not only caused a sensation in Biblical circles but Historians in general have been astounded that the Romans may have had a motorised unit.
“We have always been puzzled why they (the Romans) never made more use of Cavalry in warfare” said Professor Shittum. Especially since they had such a good roads.

My sources have confirmed that while Gsus was having his feet washed his D Gang were out on the Appian Way when they ran into the opposition. There has been some confusion with the translation as the bomb blast damaged some of the text. It appears the D gang ran into some Angels but we have been unable to determine if the word is winged or wheeled. Professor Shittum went on to explain that they may have discovered the foundation Chapter of the Hells Angels. Whatever happened many centuries ago on the Appian Way we may never know but it appears that there was some kind of confrontation with Hells lot and the D gang. The parable starts of with Simon and Peter bragging to Gsus how they kicked butt. When Gsus asks why this mindless violence was perpetrated on fellow enthusiasts Paul gives the excuse of insults inflicted on them They criticised our Hogs and said that we should not be riding unclean things. To this Gsus responds with unfamiliar words like love, forgiveness, kindness, and sympathy. :If you are to follow me you must be like a dipstick. To this the D gang responded with horror and confussion. What words are these that you speak of? Then Gsus removed the dipstick and oil dropped to the ground. If you are spat on, and Gsus spat on the Dipstick and his spittle slid off, if your are abused, and he threw dust on his dipstick and the dust slid off, if you are insulted and he insulted his dipstick and the insults did not leave a mark. No matter what is done to you, be like the dipstick LET EVERYTHING SLIDE OFF. LET NOTHING STICK. When you understand this then, and only then, will you learn the true meaning of TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK.

Yea Gods a biker and if you turn the other cheek just make sure there is nothing coming the other way.

Skyryder

Jackrat
8th March 2004, 21:01
Dang,so much for my weak effort huh :lol: :niceone:

pete376403
8th March 2004, 21:16
I do not understand the people who seem to believe that words can cause more harm that many other things in our society that are left unchallanged.

Depends on the words, though. Put enough of them in the right order, f'rinstance, the lot that starts "In the beginning god created the heaven and the earth" and you've got the book that has inspired more wars, more death, more pain than any other single thing. A very dangerous book, that.

SPman
8th March 2004, 21:48
Does anyone really give a shit?

I don't!

:sleep:

Zed
8th March 2004, 21:59
Does anyone really give a sh*t?

I don't!

:sleep:
Now how would you feel if Skyryder said that about a thread you started? :angry:

You make it sound as though you think you speak for the majority? Lol, you ain't my spokesman SPmaaaan.

Zed

Andrew
8th March 2004, 22:12
God bless you Zed!

Yamahamaman
8th March 2004, 22:16
Yes, God Bless you Zed.

SPman
8th March 2004, 22:17
Now how would you feel if Skyryder said that about a thread you started? :angry:
Sorry, I'm all religioused out. :thud:

You make it sound as though you think you speak for the majority? Lol, you ain't my spokesman SPmaaaan.

Zed
Speak for the majority? Moi! Like most people on here, I speak for myself .
However, George Carlin can speak for me here....
Organised Religion.........
Has convinced people, that theres an invisible man, living in the sky,
who watches everything you do, every minute, of every day.
And the invisible man has a list of 10 specific things, he doesnt want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place,
of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever to suffer and burn and scream, until the end of time!
...but he loves you!....
...he loves you and he needs money!
Hr's all knowing, all powerful and all wise...
just can't handle money!
And you talk about a good bullshit story!.............:hug:

Andrew
8th March 2004, 22:23
Yes, God Bless you Zed.

But I wish God bless's Zed more than you do! :banana:

Yamahamaman
8th March 2004, 22:27
But I wish God bless's Zed more than you do! :banana:
No you don't - I do!!! :Pokey:

Andrew
8th March 2004, 22:30
Using God as my witness, I know that he knows how much I wish Zed to be blessed by our Father.

God
9th March 2004, 08:45
Yes I know.
Yes I'm a biker, but in retrospect I should've given you all leather for skin instead of this horrible squidgy soft fleshy stuff. Black leather of course but with velcro for knee sliders.

Coldkiwi
9th March 2004, 12:35
Wkid: my apologies dude... I'll send that Intelligent Design video off to you this week. its not '100% proof' but I think it might help people lower their defensive mindset (don't be offended) enough to consider whether there is another option they hadn't seriously considered.

interesting story from Mr Carlin. I think he's missed a few points and probably couldn't say he can speak from experience. I do wonder though: of all the people that criticise christians and religion, how many of them have truly given their lives to Christ and lived a life of repentance and trying to love others before backsliding and being vocal about their dissillusionment with their faith?
I'm not saying people that have never experienced the love of God have invalid opinions on the subject of christianity... but would any of us expect a pedestrian who's never been in a car to truly understand what it could be like doing 200kph through jennian homes corner at pukekohe on a bike and empathise with why we might want to go even faster? Would we not look quite mad and irrational to them?
... you see where I'm going?

SPman
9th March 2004, 12:54
:Offtopic:

interesting story from Mr Carlin. I think he's missed a few points and probably couldn't say he can speak from experience.
Mr Carlin - a cynical comedian who has an abhorrence of all organised religion, and the conflict that arises therefrom.....Do you believe in God? - Yes...Do you believe in MY God? - no......BANG!
I have no conflict with strong and devout personal faith and respect people whogo about doing good guided by that faith - but that is rather different from organised religion. I just find that proselytising tends to wear me out.
Anyway God is a biker and any and everything else you want God to be :cool:

Nouseforaname
9th March 2004, 16:20
I'm not saying people that have never experienced the love of God have invalid opinions on the subject of christianity... but would any of us expect a pedestrian who's never been in a car to truly understand what it could be like doing 200kph through jennian homes corner at pukekohe on a bike and empathise with why we might want to go even faster? Would we not look quite mad and irrational to them?
... you see where I'm going?

The same could be said about paedophiles, rapist's, murders and suicide bombers.

Two Smoker
9th March 2004, 16:33
Yes I know.
Yes I'm a biker, but in retrospect I should've given you all leather for skin instead of this horrible squidgy soft fleshy stuff. Black leather of course but with velcro for knee sliders.
YES!!!!!!!!!! God Rides a CT110:rockon: . I ride a CT110, ooooooohhhhh i ride gods bike LMAO

Coldkiwi
9th March 2004, 17:29
The same could be said about paedophiles, rapist's, murders and suicide bombers.

No, because all of those things hurt other people deeply. Going around pukekohe on my own is not going to hurt anyone else, even if they don't quite get it.
Likewise, christians can and should be able to share their faith without hurting people deeply. Sometimes people may find that the idea of an all knowing and all seeing God exposes parts of their life they'd rather hide (me included). Sure, that hurts, but if its said out of love and not spite or judgement, eventually the person on the receiving end will not bear a grudge against the person sharing.

as for organised religion.. thats a HUGE concept to blacklist outright. Organised people acting out of love can surely only be a good thing, so perhaps its when organised people forget they are supposed to love others first and foremost that problems arise.
I don't really think 'religion' exists.. its really just groups of people and some are better at learning from their mistakes than others.

Holy Roller
9th March 2004, 20:19
I have no conflict with strong and devout personal faith and respect people whogo about doing good guided by that faith - but that is rather different from organised religion. I just find that proselytising tends to wear me out.:cool:

The problem is when one thinks that they are on earth to convert the unconverted. It is not our job to convert anyone that belongs to the work of the Holy Spirit, He brings the conviction or relisation that God is the answer for our longings. We are here to lead people to a place where the Holy Spirit will do that work in their lives as He has done in mine. We are to judge ourselves and leave others to God. :done:

James Deuce
9th March 2004, 20:21
:Offtopic:

Mr Carlin - a cynical comedian who has an abhorrence of all organised religion, and the conflict that arises therefrom.....Do you believe in God? - Yes...Do you believe in MY God? - no......BANG!
I have no conflict with strong and devout personal faith and respect people whogo about doing good guided by that faith - but that is rather different from organised religion. I just find that proselytising tends to wear me out.
Anyway God is a biker and any and everything else you want God to be :cool:

He was superb in "Dogma"

Lou Girardin
9th March 2004, 20:47
To quote Mr Connelly, who the hell would follow a religion started by 2 hippies and a talking snake?
Lou

Zed
9th March 2004, 20:52
To quote Mr Connelly, who the hell would follow a religion started by 2 hippies and a talking snake?
Lou
So tell us Lou, what do you follow that gives you the answers to the hard questions in life?

Don't be ashamed, make a stand for what you believe is the truth!

Zed

SPman
9th March 2004, 21:38
So tell us Lou, what do you follow that gives you the answers to the hard questions in life?

Zed
Blessed Be, Zed

Lou Girardin
10th March 2004, 05:54

Experience Zed and the wisdom of age. :bs:
Lou

White trash
10th March 2004, 07:00
I gotta say, folks. This is the most entertaining thread I've seen on this site!

There is nothing to get people more hyped up than a good debate on religion. I have no real feelings either way. I don't believe in God as such but I think if you live by the rule of treating your fellow man as you would be treated, you can't really go too far wrong.

If I'm completely wrong and there is a God, I hope he is a biker 'cause I need all the help I can get. :rockon:

MikeL
10th March 2004, 08:15

Zed

And this is the problem of organized religion in a nutshell. It purports to provide ready-made "answers" (the "truth") to life's "hard questions" provided you "follow" its doctrines. The "hard questions" usually turn out to have very little to do with spirituality and a lot to do with "right" and "wrong" in human behaviour - i.e. ethics, in which an entirely secular code is just as likely to lead to human happiness and fulfilment, or the opposite, as one based on religious precepts.
If you are Christian, or Muslim, or Jewish, or a Buddhist, and you have a deep faith based on some personal revelation, so that you know what "truth" is, that's fine, and your life must be immeasurably enhanced by that knowledge, but if part of the "truth" is that you must attack those who don't share your faith, cause untold misery by telling other people how to live their lives, and create fear and unhappiness with threats of judgement and punishment for things which you define as "sins", then you'll forgive me if I don't extend to you the sympathetic tolerance that I have for others who quietly get on with the business of living a good life.

SPman
10th March 2004, 09:26
I don't believe in God as such but I think if you live by the rule of treating your fellow man as you would be treated, you can't really go too far wrong.
. Aah...would that be...Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you....:2thumbsup

(you gotta get the jargon right!)

riffer
10th March 2004, 09:57
Aah...would that be...Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you....:2thumbsup

(you gotta get the jargon right!)
or as we pagans say "First do no harm..."

Big Dog
10th March 2004, 10:08
crikey! what a post, well i just spent hte last 20mins reading all this trying to keep up and understand, but i have to be honest, half this christian stuff is over my head, i guess A-stream all through high school and all passes through SC and SFC just sint good enough :( -not meaning that to be offensive, but DUDE do you guys loose me? just makes me feel like i have no chance of knowing god if i dont understand any of what he does/says? Us simple people keep it simple :) i buy a bike i like, i ride the bike i like. If god does ride, i hope he follows the same idea-it really works!
Don't worry kk, god will talk to you in way you are able to understand when you are ready to hear ;)

Just know that god loves you and if the zealots won't share their god you can have some of mine, because god is more valuable the more you share him.

An old freind once told me god is one of three commodities that are worth more the more you give them away, the others being laughter and love.

Me and my god are going for a ride this weekend, what are you doing with your god? :ride:

Wenier
10th March 2004, 13:27
well they go over my head anyway I just ignore them

yea i totally agree with ya dangerous due to the fact that i dont understand any of the quotes let alone spend enough time to read them to understand them, i dont have any issues with him using them its jus it wont make sense to me :)

Dave
11th March 2004, 08:53
Is God a biker??

What a stupid question,
1,Where the fuck would he get petrol,
2,There could never be a bike salesman in heaven,
3,the bike would loose its warranty
4, it would run off the edge of a cloud and fall back to earth.

jimbo600
11th March 2004, 10:59
I gotta say, folks. This is the most entertaining thread I've seen on this site!

There is nothing to get people more hyped up than a good debate on religion. I have no real feelings either way. I don't believe in God as such but I think if you live by the rule of treating your fellow man as you would be treated, you can't really go too far wrong.

If I'm completely wrong and there is a God, I hope he is a biker 'cause I need all the help I can get. :rockon:

It's way too late for you. Right now the big man is frowning at you saying "don't make me come down there!" You're going straight to hell you are.

As for a deity, well if that Ghostrider chap opened a chapel somewhere, I'd go and preach there.

Everytime I speed on the open roads god makes me do it.

merv
11th March 2004, 11:11
I always say don't worry about Hell, there are so many bad bastards on this planet there's got to be a waiting list to get down there.

Coldkiwi
11th March 2004, 11:21
..unless its exothermic due to expansion :)
(then there's an ever increasing amount of volume- you must know that email)

MikeL
11th March 2004, 13:31

There have been many humorous attempts to define or describe heaven and hell in scientific terms but what I find even funnier is the fact that there are still people who believe in a literal hell. Reassure me, CK, that you are not one of them!

Lou Girardin
11th March 2004, 16:12
There is a hell. I've worked at a couple of branch offices.
Lou

Coldkiwi
12th March 2004, 10:50
you mean as in a physical hell Mike?
no, I don't see the point in a physical hell because I believe that when we die, thats the end of the road for our bodies. saying 'up there' or 'down there' is just convenient and i also don't beleive heaven is a place with lots of fluffy clouds.

I do however believe that both places exist in a spiritual sense (call it another dimension or whatever you will) that we will experience when we die.

Coldkiwi
12th March 2004, 10:56
Lou

lol! i hate to think what the managers are like ;)

Sharkey
12th March 2004, 14:20
...still people who believe in a literal hell. Reassure me, CK, that you are not one of them!

I don't believe in hell, but I am ambivalent about it. Frankly it doesn't matter much to me. Also, it's a bit of a side track in that the love God offers is really more relevant. Converting from fear isn't really the right idea.

Firefight
12th March 2004, 14:49

Ah so CK, are you the new "Physics Boy" ? on this site ?, that is one use of the term "Exothermic" that I had not considered > :Pokey:

Firefight :crazy:

bungbung
12th March 2004, 15:25

Try Government departments...
:devil2:

Holy Roller
14th March 2004, 13:34
I don't believe in hell, but I am ambivalent about it. Frankly it doesn't matter much to me. Also, it's a bit of a side track in that the love God offers is really more relevant. Converting from fear isn't really the right idea.
There is a place that has been set aside for the devil and his angels for their part in the rebellion against God pre-creation. This place was never intended for humans. As I've stated else where satan will try to hurt God by attacking the image of God, namely us humans. By bringing sin or wrong doing, rebellion against God, into the life of mankind has caused a seperation between us and God. The "sin nature" ,for want of a better word, is what has condemed us to partake in the future that was only intended for satan and his angels. (who thought terrorism was a new idea )

What is hell like?

It is a place where God is not, no love, peace, joy, forgiveness, kindness or any attribute of God. There is only anger, suffering, pain, contempt and utter frustration. Wether it is a firery burny place as we have been constantly told may be true as it visually depicts the place I have described above.

It is not a place for us, it never has been. But our choice to accept or reject what Jesus has done for us determins if we will find ourselves in a place where the attributes of God are or are not.

I agree that converting from fear is not where it is at, but from the fact that God loved us first, even though we are steeped in rebellion against God to some degree or another. It was God's love that drew me to him and His love that has kept me even when the system has had lunch at my expense. I love God because He first loved me inspite of who I was. :scooter:

MikeL
14th March 2004, 14:24
I'm sorry but this dichotomy of heaven or hell, reward or punishment, accept or reject, good or evil makes no sense to me at all. Human beings are simply not like that. Noone is purely good or purely evil. So where do you draw the line? Weigh me up in the celestial scales at Judgement Day and suppose I almost, but not quite, tip the balance into the Heaven category?
"Sorry, but 49% good isn't quite enough. We have high standards here, you know. Off to the other place. Pity, if only you'd tried a bit harder... What's that? Not told what the pass mark was? Unfair? Come on, you have to admit you were warned it would be tough. Not coveting your neighbour's ass, and all that bit about graven images, O.K., I admit I threw those things in just to make it a bit less off-putting, but you must have realized some of the other things would require real concentration. The adultery one has proved to be the real killer...
Whaddya mean what about a pro-rata punishment? 51% of eternal damnation?? You must be joking. It's all or nothing, matey. Sorry. Next, please..."
:no:

Yamahamaman
14th March 2004, 14:32
I'm sorry but this dichotomy of heaven or hell, reward or punishment, accept or reject, good or evil makes no sense to me at all. Human beings are simply not like that. Noone is purely good or purely evil. So where do you draw the line? Weigh me up in the celestial scales at Judgement Day and suppose I almost, but not quite, tip the balance into the Heaven category?
"Sorry, but 49% good isn't quite enough. We have high standards here, you know. Off to the other place. Pity, if only you'd tried a bit harder... What's that? Not told what the pass mark was? Unfair? Come on, you have to admit you were warned it would be tough. Not coveting your neighbour's ass, and all that bit about graven images, O.K., I admit I threw those things in just to make it a bit less off-putting, but you must have realized some of the other things would require real concentration. The adultery one has proved to be the real killer...
Whaddya mean what about a pro-rata punishment? 51% of eternal damnation?? You must be joking. It's all or nothing, matey. Sorry. Next, please..."
:no:
To use the phrase of White Trash - MikeL, you crack me up!!! :lol:

wkid_one
14th March 2004, 14:48
:no:Look - for F*CKs sake Mike. Look at the NCEA school exams - there is no such thing as pass or fail these days - it is just degrees of merit :lol: :lol:

Holy Roller
14th March 2004, 14:50
Look - for F*CKs sake Mike. Look at the NCEA school exams - there is no such thing as pass or fail these days - it is just degrees of merit :lol: :lol:
It being passed onto our sports people also so it seems ;)