PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check

Drum
15th December 2005, 19:26
Holeeeeeeeey Shiiite! Almost had my first bin while out for an apre-work ride tonight!
Ive only been riding 6 months (20 years driving on the dark side) and while I've had numerous cagers try and kill me during that time, I've always seen them coming and successfully avoided any smears on my insurance file.
Well, I reckon I've been getting cocky lately. Thinking I'm gonna be one of those rare types who rides for 20 years without hitting the deck!
Cue fate....
With the Rimutaka Hill Road wet and greasy, I was riding at the limit of my ability already, with little room for error. I was smart enough to recoginise the risk factors (challenging ride, damp - uneven road surface, inexperience) and therefore was taking it pretty slow. On the way up - no worries - enjoyed the ride.
On the way back down I came around a tight left hander - not the tighest on the hill - and ziiiiip - whats that noise? Sounds like rubber sliding over asphalt! Back end sliding out! Quick glance indicated no oncoming vehicles, and just as well, because it was either use the oncoming lane, or down we go. Time seemed to slow right down, and I had enough time to think: dont brake - you'll go down for sure. Throtted back a little because I seemed to be travelling towards the Rimutaka abyss on the other side of the five stranded wire fence! Not sure if that was the right idea or not, but combined with looking up the road - not at the abyss - and balancing REAL HARD - I soon felt that I had regained control, so braked front and rear and came to a stop about 1 ft from that fence - on the edgeline of the opposing lane! Danger not over yet! Quickly started off again to get back to my own lane, my adrenalin was rushing like a virgin onto a sure thing! Anyway, I took it real easy all the way back to the Valley, and have just started thinking how lucky I was.
I dont know what made me slide out round that corner -diesel? who knows - but I thank god I was riding at a speed that gave me time to regain control and end up with a lesson instead of a head-on with an SUV, or a ride to the bottom of the gorge.
Reading about incidents on this website contributed to my knowing to ride within the limits of my ability. For that I thank you all. I also thank the blessed, sweet, gods of blind luck.
I apologise to fellow Rimutaka riders this evening for almost ruining your ride.
I've now had my reality check. Have you?

MSTRS
15th December 2005, 19:37
The Rimutakas....the great ego-leveller. Glad you got nothing more than a fright. And good skills too.:woohoo:

Jantar
15th December 2005, 19:39
Well done for keeping calm and doing everything right to stay rubber side down. A good lesson to learn.:niceone:

froggyfrenchman
15th December 2005, 19:40
great to hear you kept it up and came out intact.
Personally, i fell off the learning curve 1st time that happened to me!

SuperDave
15th December 2005, 19:45
Had my reality check twice when binning and a few times coming very close to binning. Overshooting a corner and going onto the other side of the road is a very good reality check. Though the more I ride the less I find myself landing up in these positions.

Oh yeah forgot to mention, good stuff keeping your head and coming out of that with nothing more than a lesson learnt!

skelstar
15th December 2005, 20:19
Yeah, those reality checks come along at the right time eh...
Good to hear one of the welly faithful keeping it together.

John Banks
16th December 2005, 08:20
Skills *and* a reality check. Good stuff. Have you taken the BRONZ course, by the way?

Drum
16th December 2005, 08:31
No, I havn't taken the BRONZ course. I would if there was one in Wellers though! After my close call, I am keen to learn more advanced riding skills. Might have to give Ridesafe a call.

DMNTD
16th December 2005, 08:41
Congrad's on ya close encounter and especially the result! Good skills:clap:
Nothing is better than a near off to sort the extra nut that occasionally grows eh? Just shows that it can happen anytime and it isn't always your own doing the created the situation.
:ride:

In The Breeze
17th December 2005, 14:08
Great skills shown! :niceone: Welldone and hopefully it doesnt happen too many more times for you

Deviant Esq
18th December 2005, 20:35
Good effort, you recovered yourself rather nicely given the situation :2thumbsup

Nice to hear about someone learning a good lesson without breaking anything (bike included)!

:wari:

R1madness
19th December 2005, 08:14
:cool: Skills DUDE.

Beemer
19th December 2005, 13:57
I haven't done it on a bike, but I did a 180 degree turn in a car once! There is a passing lane on a sweeping right hand corner about half-way up and I was in the outside lane passing a car when I felt the back end slide. Thankfully the car I was overtaking managed to carry on without me hitting it and I ended up facing in the opposite direction in the same lane. Gave me one hell of a fright, and luckily as in your case, there was nothing coming and I was able to turn around and carry on. I wasn't speeding and the road was dry, so I am not sure what caused it to spin (maybe not so new tyres on the company car!), but it scared the bejesus out of me and I had a whole new respect for the hill after that!

Swoop
19th December 2005, 20:51
It's amazing what we all learn after the pucker factor and heart rate subside...
Glad your "bag of experience" has more in it - without having to be deep in the guano to earn it!:woohoo: