PDA

View Full Version : Parking bikes in Auckland

Mokoro
7th March 2004, 10:52
Hey there. Yes im a newbie.. (only got a learners licence, eek!) Im interested in getting a bike up here in Auckland. Im wondering what the deal is with parking.. I know its not quite the same as what I witnessed in Melbourne, where bikes have designated areas on the foot path.. Well at least I dont think thats the case here.. Has anyone got experience parking a motor bike in central city in Auckland? My works shifting to Queen street soon..EEK! Im wondering if im better off with a bike.....

Cheers

wari
7th March 2004, 10:59
Hey there. Yes im a newbie.. (only got a learners licence, eek!) Im interested in getting a bike up here in Auckland. Im wondering what the deal is with parking.. I know its not quite the same as what I witnessed in Melbourne, where bikes have designated areas on the foot path.. Well at least I dont think thats the case here.. Has anyone got experience parking a motor bike in central city in Auckland? My works shifting to Queen street soon..EEK! Im wondering if im better off with a bike.....

Cheers
There are some designated (free I think) bike parks near Queen Street ... welcome :spudwave:

Mokoro
7th March 2004, 11:05
I am so going to check that out... But something tells me that I would be alone, riding in central Auckland. Is it case of no one comes out alive? Heh.. What with Auckland drivers and all..
Also what would security be like? After all, someone could just back a van up and lift the bike, peice of piss.

wari
7th March 2004, 12:30
I am so going to check that out... But something tells me that I would be alone, riding in central Auckland. Is it case of no one comes out alive? Heh.. What with Auckland drivers and all..
Also what would security be like? After all, someone could just back a van up and lift the bike, peice of piss.

Dunno about security , but it wouldn't be any different parked on the footpath now wouldit? :bye:

There is a bike park just on the queenstreet side of that big stone church on hobsonstreet (i think) ... I've parked on the f/path in central auckland before today and haven't had any gyp ... I just made sure it wasn't in anyones way.

Zed
7th March 2004, 12:58

Cheers
Gidday Mokoro & welcome,

Wow, you're a newbie rider on a '99 GSXR1000?? :eek: If this is so, be careful out there!

You should be able to find a park easily in Ak City if you get in early in the day, but you will most likely have to pay for it! Theft is also apparently rampant in town, so for added security you might want to use the public carparks and make sure that you have a decent lock! Victoria St carpark has an area especially for bikes.

Can't get over the GSXR1000 lol.

Zed

Milky
7th March 2004, 13:48
Generaly, if someone is so keen to get your bike that they bring a van along and pick up the bike, there isn't alot you can do to stop them... best to just chuck a decent lock on to deter the oppurtunists and park somewhere with large traffic volumes past - less likely that someone will bother pinching it if they can be seen by hundreds of ppl.

As far as i know, get there reasonably early and you can park in many places, free in the back of the parking building on victoria st i think.... it is also free in any pay and display parking area :2thumbsup

G'luck with your riding, and as long as u ride defensively in town u should stay out of too much trouble

~milky

Mokoro
7th March 2004, 14:08
hehe.. i WISH I had that bike.. I thought the field was refering to what bike you like to have.. currently i dont have a bike at all. Im looking at a Suzuki GSX250, 2004 model. Anyone know much about them? I had a Suzuki RG150, little 150cc 2 stroke (as you all will more than likely know..) and that was a pain on the open road, reving at 8500rpm at 100ks in 6th gear!

Im wondering what the GSX250 will be like at 100ks, being a 250cc 4 stroke. Hell i dont even know how many gears it has, I guess Ill have to test ride one.

Oh yeah, and i start work at 10am or midday, and finish at 7pm or 9pm. That makes it even more tricky... Grr

Sycophant
7th March 2004, 14:40
There is free motorbike parking on Lorne St, outside the Library - they tow cars that park there. It's a pretty highly trafficed area, so someone loading your bike into a van would probably be noticed.

I regularly park on the footpath on Mayoral Drive (near the Wellesley St intersection). I have also parked in Princes Wharf a lot, tucked in the front of carparks and the like (where I can get the bike out if someone parks behind me).

I believe there is also a free bike parking area in the Civic carpark, simply ride around the barrier from the Mayoral Drive entrance and there it is - I haven't tried it.

There are also a couple of bikes that are regularly parked on the footpath on Queen St proper, one (which I haven't seen for a while) is a beat up old dirt bike, parks outside BK on Queen/Vic St intersection, the other is a white and blue GSXR (I think) which parks on the footpath near the bottom of Queen St.

As long as you are sensible about it, I think you can get away with parking pretty much anywhere. One note, though, turn off the ignition the moment you mount the curb and coast with you hand on the brakes, some people get a little freaked out when they see a motorbike coming toward them on the footpath... :)

Wenier
7th March 2004, 17:34
u should look at 250cc 4 strokes like the ZXR or GSXR maybe RR and CBR mayb RR again or an FZR but i think the GSX250 is actually quite slugish and is probably revving for 100k cant guarnatee my statement thou if someone has a GSX250 u should comment here :)

Mokoro
7th March 2004, 17:54
u should look at 250cc 4 strokes like the ZXR or GSXR maybe RR and CBR mayb RR again or an FZR but i think the GSX250 is actually quite slugish and is probably revving for 100k cant guarnatee my statement thou if someone has a GSX250 u should comment here :)

the only problem with those 250cc bikes you mention is they are hidiously overpriced.. im trying to look up specs on the gsx250 now. A 2003/2004 gsx250 appears to be cheaper than a 92 cbr250rr for instance. and im after mainly reliability, and a decent ride at 100ks (ie not 7000rpm) and decent power, not outstanding shit your pants acceleration, just enough to get to 100ks when i need to :D (i know most of you are used to your 1000cc super bikes and will laugh at that)

Zed
7th March 2004, 18:04
the only problem with those 250cc bikes you mention is they are hidiously overpriced.. im trying to look up specs on the gsx250 now. A 2003/2004 gsx250 appears to be cheaper than a 92 cbr250rr for instance. and im after mainly reliability, and a decent ride at 100ks (ie not 7000rpm) and decent power, not outstanding shit your pants acceleration, just enough to get to 100ks when i need to :D (i know most of you are used to your 1000cc super bikes and will laugh at that)
When I first saw the new GSX250 at Colemans Suzuki, Auckland, I thought it was a 400 or 600cc...big bike for a 250cc, I say go for it! :msn-wink:

Check out this 2004 model for $5,495.00!
http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/Market/UsedBikeDetail.asp?BikeID=92897&Criteria=%40DealerID%3D30%2C+%40OrderBy%3D%27M%27&NoOfRecs=61&PageNo=1&chkRows=200

I wouldn't laugh at you mate...just don't buy a scooter ok!

Zed

Mokoro
7th March 2004, 18:13
whoa, Zed, thats the EXACT bike im looking at......

Mokoro
7th March 2004, 18:16
Right THATS IT! im having a REAL bitch of a time finding out specs on these small cc bikes.. i want to compare the new gsx250 against what i used to own, an RG150...and see what it appears like on paper. anyone know of any good sites on the net with specs of LOTS of bikes? including piddly commuters like these? (excuse the spelling)

SPman
7th March 2004, 23:35
Just park on the footpath if you cant find anywhere else. I do all the time - had no trouble. Most wardens Ive spoken to dont care as long as you dont obstruct the path.

MikeL
8th March 2004, 08:04
I believe there is also a free bike parking area in the Civic carpark, simply ride around the barrier from the Mayoral Drive entrance and there it is - I haven't tried it.

This is probably your best bet if you are working in Queen St. The free bike parking is on Level 1 (I think), right next to the office where there is someone on duty all the time, so it's very secure.

Mokoro
8th March 2004, 09:28
This is probably your best bet if you are working in Queen St. The free bike parking is on Level 1 (I think), right next to the office where there is someone on duty all the time, so it's very secure.

Awesome..Cheers guys for the info! It appears however, I cant afford the GSX250 :( so im looking at a RGV250! for more info, look at my thread on getting a new rgv250 in the road bikes forums :D

Big Dog
8th March 2004, 17:04
unofficually, very unnofficially, I asked a warden. He told me they have instructions not to "nick" any safely & considerately parked motorbike or moped unless it is a regular nuisance. Ie if legally parked but over time they will not give you a ticket unless you take up 50% or more of a space. On the foot path they only bother with the ticket if they see you doing it all the time or how you have parked is dangerous or restricts the flow of pedestrians.

unfortunately this does not mean that they never go on "the rag".

Coldkiwi
8th March 2004, 17:43
be careful of RGV250's mokoro. They're fast and twitchy little bastards that are not forgiving to new riders who are still getting their head around handling a quick road bike in traffic.

they also sound pants :p

parking really depends on where you are going to be working. If your company is in an office tower and will have some company car parks, your best bet is to try and find a little empty wall space to park next too. most basement carparks have little useless areas perfect for a bike or two and it'll be free and much safer than on the road (and DRY!!). You can park in the underground Aotea carpark for free (easy to get round the cage barriers!) if you're further up Queen st.

I hate to say it, but just because your bike is visible doesn't mean it won't get nicked. Some prat tried to nick my ZXR parked on Albert St (must be one of the most foot trafficked streets in the city with all the students) and the only thing that stopped them was my bright yellow disc lock (no, they didn't see it before trying to ride away!! - dickheads).
I reckon you're much better off parking where as few people see it as possible

Mokoro
10th March 2004, 17:30
Ok guys. Ive made my decision, and im getting a '95 GSF250v. Should be getting it early next week :D

Mokoro
11th March 2004, 08:12
Hrm. ive arranged to buy a gsf250 (so long as the prepurchase check goes fine). and we are moving work building VERY shortly. One question i have, how many bikes can fit in that civic car park? (the one where you kinda go underground to enter it). If i turn up at 11:30, on a weekday, would there be space to park? I guess ill find out when i ride to wrok for the 1st time :S

also, from what ive read its possible to park in a wilson car park? just park up againsta wall or a pillar, on the way in take a ticket to open the bar, then just ride around the arm to get out? am i right? (wonders about security in car park buildings..... :\ ) might get me a big ass chain

Coldkiwi
11th March 2004, 11:41
yeah, you can never have a chain too big! There's heaps of space for bikes in the aotea (is that the civic?) car park. Its all along the far wall from the entrance and FREEEE :)

Mokoro
11th March 2004, 17:51
yeah, you can never have a chain too big! There's heaps of space for bikes in the aotea (is that the civic?) car park. Its all along the far wall from the entrance and FREEEE :)

sounds damn good. ill be parking there pretty soon, late next week I think. I'll see the other bikes there i guess, and park with em :D might get me a big ass chain and lock the bastard up. (might get one of them clutch locking things as well)

Des Truction
17th March 2004, 20:06
theres free bike parking in victoria st car park (just of Q st) :beer: