PDA

View Full Version : UK: Rise in speed camera numbers “set to end”

Bob
16th December 2005, 01:27
The rapid rise in numbers of speed cameras in England and Wales could be at an end, as UK Transport Secretary Alistair Darling announced that camera schemes will no longer be funded by money from speeding fines.

He said: "I believe it is time to look at the way in which we fund road safety so that when you have got councils and police looking at a particular site, they consider all the options open to them."

Motoring groups welcomed the new measures. "Road and junction layout, clearer signing of limits, and better driver education all have a role to play," said Edmund King, of the RAC Foundation. The AA Motoring Trust’s Andrew Howard agreed, saying that dividing the debate up into pro and anti-camera lobby groups "misses the point". He added "The reality is that speed cameras work alongside other measures... but are not the universal remedy some advocates claim."

From 2007/08, the schemes will be integrated into wider local authority road safety activity, such as junction improvements or speed limit changes.

Editorial (Bob) thought for NZ - from what I read here, it seems the numbers of cameras in NZ are on the increase... at a time when the UK has finally realised they are not a be all and end all solution. Perhaps it is time for those of you that like to take an active part in things to lobby your politicians and tell them about this? I'm sure a quick google of UK Department of Transport would source a press release...

Lou Girardin
16th December 2005, 07:01
Our crew of morons will realise this in 5 years time. When everybody will have been ticketed and hate the cops.

Bob
16th December 2005, 23:21
The BMF also gave cautious support. BMF spokesman Jeff Stone, said: “We welcome sensible road safety measures. The proposal to improve speed limit signing at camera sites is such a case. It’s in no-one’s interests to ‘catch people out’. Road safety is not a game; we want to see proper enforcement of the laws we have but by the police, not by machines. Drivers ignore the law on mobile phone use because they know there is little chance of being caught. It’s this sort of cavalier attitude that needs addressing, not inadvertent speeding.”

“We know from our surveys that the responsible rider and driver is not afraid of better policing. Motorcyclists invariably come off worse in car-bike crashes, we want to see driving standards improve and the best way is to make road policing more visible.”

The BMF also pointed out that Mr Darling's announcement follows research by the DfT that shows the effect of cameras has been over estimated. It has been accepted that in some cases, ‘Regression to Mean’ has indicated that camera’s, sited after a short spate of accidents (a peak that would not necessarily have been repeated), have been credited with accident reduction when accidents would have dropped to a lower ‘mean’ - even without the camera.

The latter part would - again - be well worth shoving in front of your traffic ministers face. Again, Google "UK Department of Transport" and I'm sure you'll be able to find their website and the relevant report therein.

geoffm
18th December 2005, 09:32
The cameras make to much money for them to be dropped here. They clear jsut under $30million per year, net of expenses.
Geoff

XTC
18th December 2005, 14:26
The cameras make to much money for them to be dropped here. They clear jsut under $30million per year, net of expenses.
Geoff
But the camera's wouldn't make any money if you didn't speed....... I'm not saying I don't go over the limit occaisionally but there is a place and a time. You can minimise the contribution you make to the tax take by being more selective about where you open the throttles.

Lou Girardin
19th December 2005, 07:20
But the camera's wouldn't make any money if you didn't speed....... I'm not saying I don't go over the limit occaisionally but there is a place and a time. You can minimise the contribution you make to the tax take by being more selective about where you open the throttles.

Not leaving the house is even more certain.

In The Breeze
19th December 2005, 07:57
Exactly right XTC:yeah: After "contributing" a heafty sum recently it has finally sunk in,hopefully:ride: