PDA

View Full Version : IRC Channel

Lord Pac
7th March 2004, 15:52
ok people- a chatting place if interested!

ive opened a channel on irc called kiwibiker. there will be a few ops (operators) looking after the channel- myself, spankme, wari and ill add more ops later on.

you are welcome to come and go. the channel will be 24/7/365.

2 things you have to do

1st- dwnload the application from the irc website and install. help and FAQ's are on the mirc website. ( www.mirc.com )

second-identify and register ur username

join a dalnet server and then join kiwibiker channel- thats it!

the channel will only allow registered users to join (lots of spammers/ads). i know it sounds complicated but its pretty easy. if you have probs- pm me.

Post feedback on this thread!
cheers!

Quick setup ;)

tools>options>connect
put in ur username and email addy
nickname and alternative
>click red flower
irc networks all
random us dalnet server
>connect options> tick connect on startup and reconnect on disconnection only 2 ticks
>perform
tick perform on connect
all netwrks
type this in the window
/msg NickServ@services.dal.net IDENTIFY {username} {password}
/j kiwibiker
ok and ok

Connect (lightning bolt icon) on top left
once connected type this in the status window

/msg NickServ@services.dal.net {password} {emailaddy}

it will ask u to respond within 24hrs. U can disconnect (same icon)

now register it by clicking the link which was sent to your email addy from dalnet. should be all good so far.

reconnect- and there you go!
see you there... :whistle:

erik
19th March 2004, 18:54
How many people have tried this?
I'm in the chat room now, and there's no one else there, not even a bot. It was the same when I went there a few days ago.

I shouldn't really be there though, since reading kiwibiker and chatting in another room I'm in takes up more time than it should from studying... ;)

Andrew
19th March 2004, 19:09
I'm in the chat room now, and there's no one else there, not even a bot. It was the same when I went there a few days ago.

I shouldn't really be there though, since reading kiwibiker and chatting in another room I'm in takes up more time than it should from studying... ;)

I know tell me about it!

Lord Pac
19th March 2004, 21:23

not many have tried it-yet. I guess it's too much for some- installing configuring etc...perhaps less effort on KB with postings!

Nope no bots or anything....just a hangout for those that have time!

Channels still there... :niceone:

Cheers

erik
5th June 2004, 22:03
If anyone wants an alternative to the flash chat on the kiwibiker homepage, the Dalnet #kiwibiker channel is still there.

Ignore the instructions about registering a nick, that is no longer required.

The simplest way to try the Dalnet channel is to go to

http://www.dal.net/

On the right there is a box with "Chat now!" above it, in the "Nickname" field type whatever nickname you want, then click "Go!".

A smaller window will open and a thing asking if you want to install a java based chat client. Click "Yes" to install it (you should only have to install it once, next time you try chatting it should work without being installed again. It's only small, so shouldn't take long to install either.).

When the chat program is running and connected to an irc server (it might take a little while to connect), it will put you in the default java client channel (#dalusers). Just type:

/join #kiwibiker

and you will join the #kiwibiker channel and can start chatting.

It's not as flashy as the Flash chat on the kiwibiker homepage, there aren't any clouds or flies or hand-grenades, but it's not as laggy either. And as far as I know, it won't kick you out if you just want to idle in the chat window (I haven't actually tested this for a really long time, but it certainly doesn't do it as quick as the Flash chat does, if it does it at all).

Alternatively, there are various irc clients that you can download and install on your 'puter. Mirc is a popular one (www.mirc.com) but there are others too.

Ghost Lemur
5th June 2004, 22:53
Also if using Mozilla, it has a built in irc client too.