PDA

View Full Version : stripping chrome to powder coat?

Badcat
17th December 2005, 09:44
hay all.
i want to powder coat black some parts on my street tracker that are chrome plated.
is that possible?
is there anyone in auckland that will strip the chrome and powder coat without me having to take it to two different places?
i've heard good things about HPC in penrose - anyone had experience with them?

ken

bugjuice
17th December 2005, 09:47
you'd probably have to get it sand blasted then get it powdercoated. I got my frame done by Rainbow Powder Coaters in Albany. They did a top job, and it's quite cheap

FROSTY
17th December 2005, 09:54
Mate Id just talk to the guys who do the powder coating. Although for the life of me I can't see why you would want to remove chrome and replace it with powder coating

Badcat
17th December 2005, 10:00
I can't see why you would want to remove chrome and replace it with powder coating

because i want it to be black, not chrome.
ken

FROSTY
17th December 2005, 10:10
black chrome---mmmmmm yumeeee

rasty
17th December 2005, 22:17
If the chrome is in good nick, ie not peeling, then scuff it up and coat over the top.

Flyingpony
18th December 2005, 09:54
Although for the life of me I can't see why you would want to remove chrome and replace it with powder coating
Have a look at my lovely factory chrome foot brake lever. 4yrs young and looks like it's got chicken spots except it's rust. I'm thinking along the same lines. Getting rid of this stupid useless chrome and put some silver paint on it. My 2c.
Anyhow, first time in 4 years my rear rim is cleaner than the front. Forgot it was silver, thought it meant to be black. Mmm, the smell of kero now fills my garage... Chain looks so shiny too.

Pixie
18th December 2005, 11:14
POR 15 do a product called Colour Chrome which will stick to chrome and highly polished metal and not flake off.
It's not cheap,but may be cheaper than sand blasting and powder coating.
I don't like powdercoat.I've just spent a week stripping powdercoat off a set of GIVI castings.It starts to fall off after a year of stone chips and corrosion.
POR 15 is chip proof.
Glisten PC is the untinted base for Colour chrome,so you could use that for the base coat and top coat it with POR 15 chasis coat if you want black.
Call 0800 42 82 82 and get them to send you a catalogue,they will tell you the best way to acheive the finish you want.
www.por15.co.nz

HenryDorsetCase
18th December 2005, 11:59
because i want it to be black, not chrome.
ken

Yeah man! I hear that.

kerryg
19th December 2005, 09:28
hay all.
i want to powder coat black some parts on my street tracker that are chrome plated.
is that possible?
is there anyone in auckland that will strip the chrome and powder coat without me having to take it to two different places?
i've heard good things about HPC in penrose - anyone had experience with them?

ken

Before powdercoating you'll need to get the chrome stripped. Any electro-plater will strip it chemically for you (using hydrochloric acid I'm pretty sure). I don't know that any powder coater has the gear for chemical stripping so you're faced with going to 2 different places oer even 3. Generally powder coaters want an abrasive-blasted surface so you may need to get it blasted too (ask your powder coater).

HPC is in Manurewa. Good products and services but pricey. They've got a good website (think it's www.hpcoatings.co.nz. For powder coating I can recommend Norm at Baird & Whyte in Kingsland. Avondale Blasting and Coating are good for abrasive blasting (talk to Ben) and also do wet painting. You could always ask them if they could spray your rims with a good 2-pack.

Someone suggested black chrome which means you can get it done at one place so will save yourself some running around but check the cost first (regular decorative chrome plating is expensive, god knows how expensive black chroming is).

Badcat
19th December 2005, 09:39
Before powdercoating you'll need to get the chrome stripped. Any electro-plater will strip it chemically for you (using hydrochloric acid I'm pretty sure). I don't know that any powder coater has the gear for chemical stripping so you're faced with going to 2 different places oer even 3. Generally powder coaters want an abrasive-blasted surface so you may need to get it blasted too (ask your powder coater).

HPC is in Manurewa. Good products and services but pricey. They've got a good website (think it's www.hpc.co.nz). For powder coating I can recommend Norm at Baird & Whyte in Kingsland. Avondale Blasting and Coating are good for abrasive blasting (talk to Ben) and also do wet painting. You could always ask them if they could spray your rims with a good 2-pack.

Someone suggested black chrome which means you can get it done at one place so will save yourself some running around but check the cost first (regular decorative chrome plating is expensive, god knows how expensive black chroming is).

thanks kerry.
the rims are new black excels - so they are fine.
it's things like headlight mounts and assorted bracketry etc.
the USD front end is being anodised black also - so chrome is gonna look pretty out of place.
am also thinking of powercoating the motor black!!

k

kerryg
19th December 2005, 10:13
thanks kerry.
the rims are new black excels - so they are fine.
it's things like headlight mounts and assorted bracketry etc.
the USD front end is being anodised black also - so chrome is gonna look pretty out of place.
am also thinking of powercoating the motor black!!

k

Hey Badcat

I think you'll find that powder coating won't work on the engine. Could be wrong but I think the temperatures will be too high.

Badcat
19th December 2005, 10:18
Hey Badcat

I think you'll find that powder coating won't work on the engine. Could be wrong but I think the temperatures will be too high.

yeah - HPC have some coatings that go pretty high in temp though...
take a look at the stuff in the pics..
http://www.hpcoatings.co.nz/colours.htm
of course - the colours are a trifle ghey, it would be black for me...

Eurodave
19th December 2005, 19:54
Hey Badcat

:msn-wink: B4 you jump to conclusions, 1st check out HI TEMP powder coating. This stuff survives on exhaust pipes/manifolds so may well be THE GO on motor crankcases/barrels/heads

Fishy
20th December 2005, 13:46
Hey Ken,

You will need to take your chrome parts into an electroplater to have the chrome removed - they will be the only guys who can strip the chrome as they have to reverse the attraction charge of plating to metal to get the chrome off.

I work for an aluminium joinery design company and we have an in house powdercoat plant. Your best bet is to powdercoat either gloss black or matt black and then put a clear powder over the top to prevent stone chips if they are in an exposed area on the bike. Powder is baked on at 230 deg c so heat wont be a problem.

Private message me if you want, I can probably help you out with the powdercoating.

Josh.