PDA

View Full Version : owning the road or being dominant.

FROSTY
17th December 2005, 12:26
One thing ive noticed with a lot of newer riders is they tend to ride to the far left of the road.
It really bothers me so I figure best to post something up here.
Im talking here about a single lane in either direction type road.
The issues are --
1) by riding to the left cage drivers have a tendancy to drive like you aren't even there literally pushing you off the road.
2)You are harder to see for oncoming traffic and at intersections.
3)Its harder for you to see cars pulling out of side roads to your left.
4) a lot of the rubbish-nails etc seem to find their way to the left edge of the road.
I'd suggest riding in the Right hand wheel track on the road which generally puts you around a meter from the center line.
It also puts you smack bang in the rear view mirror of any cage in front of you--as long as you are using correct following distance

In The Breeze
17th December 2005, 12:37
Some bloody good points there Frosty. Have found it way too dangerous to stay left especially in a built up area. Kids playing is a biggun and as you said people pulling out they,they may not be able to see past the usual SUV parked up by their driveway so might pull out on you.
I still don't get how some don't ride with their lights on either-surprises me but each of us are responsible for our own safety. I expect people to do stupid things and it has kept me alive so far.

Marmoot
17th December 2005, 12:39
I normally ride on the centerline, slightly to the right. more right if I'm behind a car or is overtaking one. Furthest to right if Im overtaking a truck or bus (ESPECIALLY THOSE DAMNED STAGECOACH BUSES IN AUCKLAND CITY).

I ride to the left if there is a bike behind me.

APPLE
17th December 2005, 13:43
yeh man,i stay 2 the left of the white centre line rear vision,and side mirror visibility.But normally they hear me cumn anyways an dey move?

Gremlin
17th December 2005, 13:49
You'd think you were safe in the right wheel track... wouldn't you??

I have been undertaken twice by damn cars in about 7 months. Never tried letting myself be overtaken by travelling in the left hand wheel track.

If you are on a widish one lane (perhaps after merging or a median coming up) try riding in the middle of the lane. Riding in the right wheel track can put you far over to the right, and cars think they can undertake for some stupid reason.

The first time it really caught me by surprise to the extent I didn't even follow the guy and have a little chat.

Riff Raff
17th December 2005, 14:13
On the motorway where it's three lane I avoid riding in the centre lane - how often do you see two cars going for the gap in the centre lane at the same time. Had a close call the other day with that happening. If I'm in the left lane I stay on the right side of it, and if I'm in the fast lane I ride left of centre, and try to stay far enough back that I can be seen in side and rear vision mirrors.

steved
17th December 2005, 16:25
On the motorway where it's three lane I avoid riding in the centre lane - how often do you see two cars going for the gap in the centre lane at the same time. Had a close call the other day with that happening. If I'm in the left lane I stay on the right side of it, and if I'm in the fast lane I ride left of centre, and try to stay far enough back that I can be seen in side and rear vision mirrors.Sounds quite similar to what I do. I strongly prefer the fast lane on motorways as it really cuts down on the chances of coming into contact with cars (they can only surprise you from two directions).

Marmoot
17th December 2005, 19:50
But normally they hear me cumn anyways an dey move?

you moan that loud eh? :scratch:

APPLE
17th December 2005, 20:04
mate,with a pair of rs3 yoshies on?who wouldnt moan?

Cookie
17th December 2005, 20:18
Good stuff Frosty (as always).

Years ago when I first rode, I used to ride in the centre but had the odd scare when braking, suddenly realising I was sliding along the top of a nice smooth white arrow. :eek:

Now I am back on two wheels I much prefer the "right hand wheel track" position (as encouraged in the current Road Code) for all the reasons above.

I have had a few frights when our four wheeled friends have encroached on my space on the left though. One idiot recently actually overtook me on the left and then moved into the "safe following distance" between me and the car in front. :mad:

The right hand side is the place to be but I now keep a more regular check on my left so that even if someone does sneak up I am aware of them and don't get surprised by them.

oldrider
17th December 2005, 20:27
I still don't get how some don't ride with their lights on either-surprises me but each of us are responsible for our own safety. I expect people to do stupid things and it has kept me alive so far.
Hey I do not ride with my light on on the open road because it allows me the ability to flash the vehicles ahead who may not see me (That's all of them) when they are entering on to my road space from where ever.

Rural people are different to townies, flashing lights attract their attention. Don't you notice when drivers flash you to warn for Police ahead?

This includes animals birds etc, it is more affective than the horn or anything else at a distance.

I turn my light on as soon as I enter urban space because there is not enough time to flash and townies are more used to identifying bikes by their light.

Different strokes for different folk! Cheers John.

oldrider
17th December 2005, 20:34
One thing ive noticed with a lot of newer riders is they tend to ride to the far left of the road.
It really bothers me so I figure best to post something up here.
Im talking here about a single lane in either direction type road.
The issues are --
1) by riding to the left cage drivers have a tendancy to drive like you aren't even there literally pushing you off the road.
2)You are harder to see for oncoming traffic and at intersections.
3)Its harder for you to see cars pulling out of side roads to your left.
4) a lot of the rubbish-nails etc seem to find their way to the left edge of the road.
I'd suggest riding in the Right hand wheel track on the road which generally puts you around a meter from the center line.
It also puts you smack bang in the rear view mirror of any cage in front of you--as long as you are using correct following distance
Yes frosty and another point is on one way bridges, I always ride on the right side to stop those smart arse cagers who decide there is enough room for them as well as me! God damn this is getting far too frequent these days too. Cheers John.

Swoop
20th December 2005, 17:46

I have been undertaken twice by damn cars in about 7 months. Never tried letting myself be overtaken by travelling in the left hand wheel track.

If you are on a widish one lane (perhaps after merging or a median coming up) try riding in the middle of the lane. Riding in the right wheel track can put you far over to the right, and cars think they can undertake for some stupid reason.

The first time it really caught me by surprise to the extent I didn't even follow the guy and have a little chat.

Mirrorectomys are far easier to perform if the cager is on your left... or so I've heard...

Quartida
21st December 2005, 13:55
Hey I do not ride with my light on on the open road because it allows me the ability to flash the vehicles ahead who may not see me (That's all of them) when they are entering on to my road space from where ever.
I turn my light on as soon as I enter urban space because there is not enough time to flash and townies are more used to identifying bikes by their light.

That's a very good point...I never thought of it like that. I always drive the cage with the lights on (which people have given me a fair lot of flak about) but that way actually makes a hell of a lot more sense. Even in a cage.

Mental Trousers
22nd December 2005, 09:10

I've had people try to do this shit, but each time I've seen them in the mirror and knew they were going to try it, so I moved to block them.

Still, one time this stupid bitch left the lane, crossed the metre or so to the carparks on the side and went deep into those angle parks to pass me on the left. Highly unimpressed with that particular piece of driving.

yungatart
22nd December 2005, 09:15
Good information in here guys-this is why I log in to KB-to learn! Thanks folks!

JWALKER
22nd December 2005, 09:27
i dont agree about the not having the light on, when on the open road.
some of the newer sport bikes, you cant turn the light off, and besides personally, i would rather have all the visability i can have.
i have bright coloured bike and gear and it also is loud, but, there is no way i would ride without the light on

*sic
22nd December 2005, 09:49
yea good info frosty.

but as JWALKER just said, the lights thing is a different thing to me also, i cant handle not having my lights on, feel like i gotta make sure all see me... me vs car panels = not the win...

In The Breeze
22nd December 2005, 10:08
Rural people are different to townies, flashing lights attract their attention. Don't you notice when drivers flash you to warn for Police ahead?
This includes animals birds etc, it is more affective than the horn or anything else at a distance.

I do live very rural OldRider but still ride with my lights on so people can see me coming. If there's a car coming that needs warning of something ahead I either use hand signals or simply flick to low beam and flash them:blink: . Shhhhhhh,a scarey thought I know.
My bike also doesn't give me the option of turning my lights off but even if it did I wouldn't.I think it comes down to personal preferances:2thumbsup

Gremlin
22nd December 2005, 12:52
I always drive the cage with the lights on (which people have given me a fair lot of flak about)
Sorry, but I disagree with this. You are welcome to ride with the lights on from sun down to sun rise, obviously (I wish all cars would), but in the middle of the day I wish cars wouldn't.

You are more noticable when the lights are on, which is awesome for motorbikes. Every little bit counts, but if everyone did this, we wouldn't stand out anymore, would we??

Quartida
23rd December 2005, 01:20
Fair call, but it also makes it safer for me.
I never saw it as a matter of standing out because everyone didn't, but more as a matter of being seen from further away. I've noticed, driving SH1 Auck-Wellington, it makes such a significant difference when cars have their lights on - they're just so much easier to spot from a distance.

I admit if everyone did it, it might not be so effective from a 'surprise' point of view (and it would be harder to pick out bikes from the crowd), but it does have other advantages.

Just my theory!

Pathos
23rd December 2005, 01:28
Its weird, I never rode on the left side when I started out, always headed for the center line. It just felt like the natural thing to do.... don't know why others have problems with it :spudwhat:

Posh Tourer :P
23rd December 2005, 04:11
I never saw it as a matter of standing out because everyone didn't, but more as a matter of being seen from further away. I've noticed, driving SH1 Auck-Wellington, it makes such a significant difference when cars have their lights on - they're just so much easier to spot from a distance.

True, and it is also easier to judge the distance of a car on a long straight, if they have their headlights on... Switch on on long straights!!

Leong
23rd December 2005, 05:11

I admit if everyone did it, it might not be so effective from a 'surprise' point of view (and it would be harder to pick out bikes from the crowd), but it does have other advantages.

Just my theory!

Don't know if Gremlin was distinguishing between in town and open road. I tend to drive (the cage) with lights on on the open road esp if going faster ... much safer for EVERYONE especially when opposing traffic is overtaking.

There's usually less traffic on the open road, so you'd stand out on the bike anyways... just my 2c..

Motu
23rd December 2005, 06:26
Don't care one way or the other about lights on,fluro vests or any other visability aids - my biggest worry about people who do it is they also switch on in their mind...''ah,now the cars can see me!'' NO,it doesn't automaticly make you safe....ride with your lights on....as if they weren't on.

SPman
23rd December 2005, 11:57
I normally try to ride with a fairly aggressive body posture on the bike and all facilities firing - trying to radiate a subtle hint of - "dont fuck with me!" .Road position - be aware of how the traffic around you is acting and modify your position accordingly....if you get a pestering prick trying to run over you, make obvious firm lane changes to establish that - THIS IS MY BIT OF ROAD SPACE. NOW FUCK OFF!
Only time I seem to have people pull out on me is when Ive been relaxed, or not concentrating fully on the traffic.

Cookie
23rd December 2005, 12:08
Don't care one way or the other about lights on,fluro vests or any other visability aids - my biggest worry about people who do it is they also switch on in their mind...''ah,now the cars can see me!'' NO,it doesn't automaticly make you safe....ride with your lights on....as if they weren't on.

Dead right Motu.

My second day out on my current bike (which has the head light on automatically) a dizzy mum pulled out in front of me outside a supermarket FFS! She saw me when she finally decided to glance back in my direction and then parked herself halfway across both lanes. :sweatdrop

I have had one other close call (idiot doing a right turn in front of me at traffic lights when I was going straight through).

Both times headlight on. Both times, a larger vehicle 10 or 15 metres in front of me. Both times I think the drivers brains "registered" the larger vehicle in front of me and then they simply stopped looking for anything else and pulled out.

Other newbies - if this has not happened to you yet, it is only a matter of time. Take care.

I am now thinking about maybe getting two extra riding lights, but for some idiots, I could have a flashing light on my helmet and a fluro tiger suit on and I am sure it would not make a difference - strap a Kenworth truck cab on the front now maybe that would help...

Gremlin
23rd December 2005, 15:57
Don't know if Gremlin was distinguishing between in town and open road.
no, not really distinguishing between town and country at all. :doobey: Then again, I haven't bothered getting a car/car license yet, so I guess I am just slightly biased :bleh:

umm.... read again... that is actually all about standing out, just from someone elses eyes :2thumbsup

Obviously, this is a free country, people are welcome to do as they wish. Me being motorcycle biased, I don't want cars using headlights in the day :yes:

kro
23rd December 2005, 20:51
Good post dude, I agree, you should command your place on the road, you are a motorist, and have every right to be on the road, entirely within your lane, and not swept off to the side of the road, like a dead possum.

I see scooters riding in the gutter a lot, and it bugs me, especially if they are in a 50k area. Take your place on the road, and don't let those arrogant car drivers f#$k with you.

Ixion
23rd December 2005, 22:07
I know of two cases where scooter/small bike riders were killed because of riding in the left gutter. DON'T DO IT , ANYONE. And if y'see someone doing it, tell 'em not to. Even a moped is entitled to it's place on the road.

As for visibility : I (sometimes) ride an enormous all white BMW RT. With a full fluoro jacket. And headlights AND running lights on. And a white helmet. I'm fairly sure I can easily be seen from the moon, with the naked eye. And still imbeciles tell me "Aww , sorry mate, diddn see ya ".

Marmoot
23rd December 2005, 23:12
"Aww , sorry mate, diddn see ya ".

Seeing is not the same as registering in brain. A lot of people look before they leap simply for the sake of looking.

Be careful in those intersections, aye, even if you have the right of way. Be very careful.

Quartida
24th December 2005, 00:23
I (sometimes) ride an enormous all white BMW RT. With a full fluoro jacket. And headlights AND running lights on. And a white helmet. I'm fairly sure I can easily be seen from the moon, with the naked eye.

Hahahahahaha

Way to make a not-yet-biker worry about people not seeing her :shit: Man, this whole bking thing is scarier than it looks when you're just a poor pillion.

(But worth it, I know, I know :niceone:)

Swoop
24th December 2005, 15:13
OK, todays rant.:angry2: Tootling along in the middle lane of the motorway doing the limit, and some lovely chap in a bongo-van races down the onramp to join in our merryment of motoring...
Bongoman proceeds to exceed the speed of sound, and then decides to "merge" into the center lane... Millimeters of distance seperated us so I proceeded to tootle melodiously in his direction to alert him that he had wasted many millimeters of seperating distance. I think I indicated that 1mm was wasted by raising my centre digit of the left hand to him. Bongoman then decided that the fast lane was for him, so proceeded to veer into that lane and entertain that lanes traffic with his driving skills!
Pulling up alongside Bongoman, I further indicated to him that life, the universe, and everything need not revolve around his driving skills, but unfortunately he did not heed my words, so I left him to his driving mission.
I'm sure his young children have told him that "that naughty biker was rude to you" when he had a free moment from his driving.
Unfortunately I only had my light on high beam due to the silly season traffic and didn't really wish to be noticed. Silly me!
End of rant.:mega:

Marmoot
25th December 2005, 13:19
I feel for ya, Swoop.
Damn feckin Asian cagers.

Oh, by the way, I'm not racist, but... :whistle:

FROSTY
25th December 2005, 15:01
I must say I agree with SP and motu.
I tend to ride with a real attitude --Kinda ---Dont feck with me or your shiney toynissbuda is gonna get all scratched up
But Im ready to duck outa the way fast if they do the blind cager thing

Swoop
25th December 2005, 17:57
I feel for ya, Swoop.
Damn feckin Asian cagers.

Oh, by the way, I'm not racist, but... :whistle:

Sorry, I cannot point the finger at any asian driver of this bongovan...
This individual and his children were off-white!!:devil2: I also don't believe that I mentioned that the wing mirrors were like something off a Kenworth truck or something! Huge muthas that could be used to see half way to the moon if need be... Shame they didn't get any use at that time:whistle:

Marmoot
26th December 2005, 16:55
Sorry, I cannot point the finger at any asian driver of this bongovan...
This individual and his children were off-white!!:devil2: I also don't believe that I mentioned that the wing mirrors were like something off a Kenworth truck or something! Huge muthas that could be used to see half way to the moon if need be... Shame they didn't get any use at that time:whistle:

Nah mate. That's blasphemy, as a lot of young spirit in this forum would agree.

Only asians do that coz they got their licenses from weetbix boxes.
:oi-grr:
Never seen non-asians do bad driving. they do not exist.

Swoop
27th December 2005, 07:46
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: