PDA

View Full Version : Advice/feedback to improve track day

FROSTY
19th December 2005, 13:49
Folks Im not looking to boost my ego here BUT
Please could I have feedback about the way the trackday was run during the day and the information leading up to it

MSTRS
19th December 2005, 14:23
You pretty much covered all the necessaries. But I'd suggest the pit flag is hung out off the stands rather than waved so there is a longer leadtime for catching attention. Also could be a good idea to have a session for ladies only esp the less confident ones - they are highly put off by the thought of sharing the track with what they see as hotshots.

curious george
19th December 2005, 14:26
No rain.
10characters

Devil
19th December 2005, 14:46
Lunch: A+
Brief: A (maybe a little more info about the flags for noobs)
Changing classes: A
Waving speed group flag: Good idea. Anything that can speed up the gaps between groups.
Sighting laps: Yeah, 2 will do.

re: weather stuff. Maybe if it's starting to look dodgy next time, postpone things like wheelie sessions till later on, so track time for everyone is maximised. Fit in "extras" when possible.

flash
19th December 2005, 14:59
dont let it rain....
where abouts were you thinking for the next one?

R6_kid
19th December 2005, 15:35
i think it was run really well. Think we maybe spent too much time on the track getting familiarised.

The most beneficial thing was how you stopped us at each section and described the best way to tackle it. Perhaps next time just one lap at slow pace, then a 'brief' lap where someone does the describing, then two (at sub top pace) laps for the people that havent done the track before.

MadDuck
19th December 2005, 15:44
I agree with Devil on the delaying the wheelie ...(I mean emergency braking) type events when we had such a delay getting started and the weather looked like it was going to turn to custard.

The flags werent really explained properly. Was a bit confusing with all different types being waved around.

Maybe a megaphone for any time you want to get everyones attention. Hard to hear you when helmets are on and bikes going.

Everything else was damn near perfect as far as I could tell!

ps: MSTRS ...those hotshots dont scare me :ar15:

MSTRS
19th December 2005, 15:48
ps: MSTRS ...those hotshots dont scare me :ar15:
P'raps 'tis t'other way round?:whistle:

Drunken Monkey
19th December 2005, 15:55
Let people sort out their own lunch.

flash
19th December 2005, 16:02
bring in a mobile food van (they should come for free if you tell them). i was a spectator and there was no food for me!!!!1 so i had to go to the local dariy and buy the bet tasting pie ive ever had..;)

jimbo600
19th December 2005, 16:03
All in all pretty good. Bur you need to get folk out on the track ASAP. I know there was a delay in getting the sweeper sorted. Turn up at a vic club track day and see how fast they cycle through the sessions. the next group should be formed up at the dummy grid as the current group are on the warm down lap. as they come in the next group go out. Also as Speedmedic said a chequered flag at the end of the session to stop confusion. And most important of all a longer question and answer session. And no rain. And a bar, with free beer. And hooter girls.

RiderInBlack
19th December 2005, 16:23
And a bar, with free beer. And hooter girls.All joking aside, I am not keen to see any alcohol at track days (and definitely not keen to see under age drinking at the track). Have never see any alcohol present at any track day I've ever gone to. Suggest the drinking be done after the day is finished. End of Rant.
PS: Hooters are welcome as long as they can't be seen on any of the corners (they might find the odd bike parked between them if they did).

Found it simpler to treat any flagging for track days as "possible biker down, slow and pit safely for restarting". A white flag at start/finish as a "forewarning of season ending (1-2mins to go approx = one lap to go)", with a checkered for "end of season, pit on after passing start/finish" would be cool.

jimbo600
19th December 2005, 16:35
All joking aside, I am not keen to see any alcohol at track days (a definitely not keen to see under age drinking at the track). Have never see any alcohol present at any track day I've ever gone to. Suggest the drinking be done after the day is finished. End of Rant.
PS: Hooters are welcome as long as they can't be seen on any of the corners (they might find the odd bike parked between them if they did).

Found it simpler to treat any flagging for track days as "possible biker down, slow and pit safely for restarting". A white flag at start/finish as a "forewarning of season ending (1-2mins to go approx = one lap to go)", with a checkered for "end of season, pit on after passing start/finish" would be cool.

Yeah I know. I was being smart. No bar necessary. I wouldn't thouch a drop of piss on the track as I require all my noodle just to hang on to the pace I'm going anyway.

erik
19th December 2005, 16:36
I agree that it'd be good to get people out on the track quicker and to speed up the group changes.

The idea of explaining the corners to new riders is good, but I think it didn't work doing it on the track. I for one could hardly hear anything. Plus you started explaining before some of the riders had stopped. Perhaps a sheet with picture of the circuit and description of the corners would be good, or having a special briefing for people new to the track to explain the corners? This may also save time and get people on the track quicker.

The first novice session was good though.

Overall, bloody well run.
Nice job Frosty. :niceone:

Gixxer 4 ever
19th December 2005, 21:13
Ok lets try this. No offence intended with my comments and the track day on Sunday was great and I thank all the people who put it on. Specially you Frosty and Spank.:Punk:
Lets move the play time to the end of the day. If the marshals had ridden while we had lunch and then we went back on the track we would have had more track time. And some of it would have been in the dry.
But a track day is for riding. I also appreciate the track condition was a problem.
Why did we get flagged in on the last session? Yep the rain was heavy but we had, had so little track time I, and others on the track, were happy to ride on in the rain but we got flagged in. As we were a group of more experienced riders the conditions did not create a hazard. Those who were not happy with the rain and mud left the track.
My only complaint was the lack of track time. In fact I was a bit grumpy about it but I understand what happened. The track manager needed to put in more prep work. After all they got paid the full rate for the track and we got discounted track time cos we had to prep the bloody thing.. Then he had the cheek to complain cos a few bikes ruffed up the driveway. F.F.S :tugger:
The day was great and it was good to get the old Gixxer out and give it a good thrash. Thanks everyone and the food was great.
Roll on the next KB track day.
Good work Frosty and everyone else......:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Gixxer 4 ever
19th December 2005, 21:53
The marshalls did ride in your lunch time.
We missed our second session because of the rain too, and stood out there while it pissed down to ensure your safey.
Other wise the rest of your comments were good ones.

Please do not be offended. I am grateful for all you did. I understand what it takes to do that job. I do it the local bucket racing and we host a round of the 4x4 nationals here. I had a feeling I could offend the people who made the day good. Not what I intended. You did a great job and I appreciated your input. I just wanted to emphasize the compression of time. Even down to having some riders marshal ( and I would be more than happy to do that )and have a staggered lunch. You could ride in the class you wanted to for a session then back to the boxes. So thanks for your time people it was appreciated.

RiderInBlack
19th December 2005, 22:04
May be everyone should have a turn at Marshalling. Riders should have to marshal at less one season each (probably shit to organise, but).

Just a side point here (bit off topic):
Is does any racing club have proper training for Marshals (e.g. Race rules, Flagging, Emergency First-Aid, etc.)? Cause I'd love to do some. Hate the almost non-existent briefings I've had at race days.

M1CRO
19th December 2005, 23:17
I would suggest for the "novice" riders that are unfamilar with the track, that maybe we could initially split them up into groups of 10's (for example), and then maybe someone could lead the way around the track setting the "line" and the group follow.. The map thing with someone outlining the lines that should be taken is a great idea.

I appreciate all to their own, but my 2c worth as I noticed alot went "high" around turn 1 :cool:

I also agree with the flags because I know two in the "yellow" group that thought it was the end of the "session" when someone decided to go straight ahead at the hairpin and play in the kitty litter :)

All in all, a great day Frosty, and I join the rest of the crowd here with nothing but compliments for a job well done (Even tho you called me crazy! lol - From you, I take it as a compliment :headbang:

RiderInBlack
20th December 2005, 06:06
Yes i know mate, its alright.
I think your idea is a good one. I thought to myself as the medium group went round that I would like to do that group. Someone from the novice group for example could come and take over my flag point, as they would not be next, nor would they have just finished... allowing me time to shoot down and grab the bike and get out there.We could send a van around the track to swap the Marshals at the end off a group session. If we did this, the van could take the lunches out to the Marshals all Racing Puke style (You have your lunch out there Marshalling). Riders could have their's between their sessions. This way there would be no reason to stop the whole thing for lunch.

DEATH_INC.
20th December 2005, 08:50
How about taking the noobs:baby: out on foot before the ambo gets there to save time and make it easier for all to stand around and listen:grouphug: ?That way it can be taken care of early and they'll get a chance to look :confused: at the surface properly.
The wheelie session at the end of the day is prolly a good idea too.

Racey Rider
20th December 2005, 10:10
Good day had. Thanks to the marshalls for standing out in that RAIN while I had fun on the rain soaked track. I did it last time in rather better conditions.

I would be up for Riding And Marshalling some sessions on the same day to help with the flow of things. I only got 70km of track time in, so stagged lunch breaks to keep things happening would be the go.

Straight water is better than flavored water.

How can the track people present a track in that condition to a motorbike group???:argh:
Did the sweeper truck not work or something???

Did 'Newbe' and 'Slow' really need to be in different groups? What do they think?

People that take a photo of me should not cut my head off! (pt.)

Racey.

skelstar
20th December 2005, 10:17
Did 'Newbe' and 'Slow' really need to be in different groups? What do they think?
I didnt feel out of depth or monstered when the two slower groups combined at the end. I think it was important to have one or two sessions separated at the beginning. Just to get the lines and braking points sorted.

bugjuice
20th December 2005, 10:32
with all the comments to the sweeper, I don't think the brush-truck that went round could have picked up all the dust that was there. They're only good for bigger chunks of dirt. That crap on the sweeper needs to be water blasted off the track. Something that should have been done a couple of days before, but as everyone saw, it only takes one quick session of rain, and it's back to how it was. Hopefully the track owner(s) aren't finished with the drainage and condition of [that part of] the track.

As for the flow of things, I was happy with the way the day was organised, but just sucked about the rain. But no one has the last say over that. May be the wheelie session could have been put off so we could have got more dry track time, but no one was to know that the rain was coming to stay. And cos of the rain, I think most people got a lack of sessions too, I think I only got 2 1/2 sessions (the half session being 'rained' off), so counted up, I spent somewhere round $300 for the weekend in total, just to have 2 sessions on the track. Not blaming anyone for that (want to stress that bit!), just sucks that the weather can play such a huge part when we really don't want it to. Shame the track wasn't in better nick tho.

flash
20th December 2005, 10:45
We could send a van around the track to swap the Marshals at the end off a group session. If we did this, the van could take the lunches out to the Marshals all Racing Puke style (You have your lunch out there Marshalling). Riders could have their's between their sessions. This way there would be no reason to stop the whole thing for lunch.

one of the best ideas so far :woohoo:

Mental Trousers
20th December 2005, 12:48
First up, top effort, love your work.

Keeping things flowing more along the lines of what RiderInBlack suggests for the marshall etc is a good idea. And breaking things up a little with a different type of session between the group ones would be great (the 4 groups out there then the pillions, the 4 groups again then swap the marshalls, the wheelie session, the 4 groups again then women only etc). Like that you could have the marshalls possibly paying for 1/2 a day and marshalling the rest or not pay and marshall all day then get a couple of free sessions.

A large (like very large painted on a sheet or something) map hanging on the stand with the correct lines for the corners drawn on it and notes about each corner, what to look out for, pointing out the passing opportunities etc hanging on the side of the stand would be shit hot.

A large whiteboard with an outline of the day near the stand so everyone can see what's happening and it makes it easy to see changes to the day (finished sessions get crossed out and changes are drawn in etc).

A hooter/bull horn to announce 2 minutes until end of current session and start of next in the pits.

A walk session with the first timers/novices and a bullhorn would be excellent. Or alternatively doing the first Novice session as it was but with a bullhorn (I didn't want to turn the engine off cos it gets temperamental about starting until it's cooled a little so couldn't hear Jacques Shi'ite and was sitting at the back so everyone else could hear).

The food van would be nice although I'm very happy with the Subway that was organised. A food van would give a bit of variety but is more of a unnecessary convenience than anything.

Would be nice if there were some photographers going around the track outside the spectator fence taking shots at other parts. Zapf etc took some good photos but I'd love to have seen some shots of the hairpin, sweeper and turn 1 as well.

As for swapping groups, . Stayed well away from the fast group though as I would've had my ass handed to me this time around. Maybe after another track day or 5.

FROSTY
20th December 2005, 18:02
folks--please read the first post -lots of time to go but whilst its all fresh in my mind Im taking on board the suggestions and heres how i see it

justsomeguy
20th December 2005, 18:12
with all the comments to the sweeper, I don't think the brush-truck that went round could have picked up all the dust that was there. They're only good for bigger chunks of dirt. That crap on the sweeper needs to be water blasted off the track. Something that should have been done a couple of days before, but as everyone saw, it only takes one quick session of rain, and it's back to how it was. Hopefully the track owner(s) aren't finished with the drainage and condition of [that part of] the track.

As for the flow of things, I was happy with the way the day was organised, but just sucked about the rain. But no one has the last say over that. May be the wheelie session could have been put off so we could have got more dry track time, but no one was to know that the rain was coming to stay. And cos of the rain, I think most people got a lack of sessions too, I think I only got 2 1/2 sessions (the half session being 'rained' off), so counted up, I spent somewhere round $300 for the weekend in total, just to have 2 sessions on the track. Not blaming anyone for that (want to stress that bit!), just sucks that the weather can play such a huge part when we really don't want it to. Shame the track wasn't in better nick tho.

What they ideally need is some grass growing on that place (or some of it)- that should prevent some of the run off. I agree the track was shit - a few of us did our best to sweep the hairpin but the dirt was caked in......

It cost me a similar amount too..... which has me thinking twice about the next time -- when comparing it to a day out at Puke - which is not as good - but a dollar saved means more riding time......

Top effort though Frosty - you're a legend for all this and you too Spank.

flash
20th December 2005, 18:29
i think there shoud be 4 different flags....

yellow:caution/slow down (someone does a small slip, nothing major)
red:stop/get to the pits (ambulance involved, heavy rain)
white:second to last lap
checkerd:final lap

the reason for the white flag is then they know they have two laps and will speed up, without feeling it finshed too quickly like what you would feel if there was only a checkerd flag and you had only 1 lap left

froggyfrenchman
20th December 2005, 18:30
From a spectator - Having a food van there would have been a huge advantage. Also being able to get some pics from other points of the track. For example, at the pacific club series at taupo, spectators can walk down to the hairpin behind the fences/bollards.

Just ideas. If there was to be another held tomorow, with nothing changed at all (well maby weather) i would go for a watch again. Well done and cheers for the FREE TO WATCH day out of the house

scooterboynz
20th December 2005, 18:59
maybe have the fast group out first followed by the medium , etc,,, while the fast group are out the novice group could be told the finer points of track riding etc,,,

skelstar
20th December 2005, 19:07
maybe have the fast group out first followed by the medium , etc,,, while the fast group are out the novice group could be told the finer points of track riding etc,,,
I would have to agree with Roscoe there. I was kinda surprised that the fast group wasnt going to go out first. Thats fine. Maybe something thats only apparent to someone whos nervous.;)

SlowHand
20th December 2005, 19:59
How about posting the track layout and useful lines on the forum, and anyone that wants to know more on the day can get briefed in a smaller session.

Riff Raff
20th December 2005, 20:08
Can we do some 2-up wheelies in the accelleration and emergency stopping section?

White trash
20th December 2005, 21:14
I think the day was run brilliantly Frosty, can't believe that after all the stress of the past two, you're already looking to organise a third. You're truly a king amongst men.

My suggestions follow the same lines as everyone else, particularly the wheelie session at the end of the day, if time allows. As there's only 8 nutters in attendance willing to strut their stuff, it's a little greedy for us to be out playing while others watch. One thing amazes me though, I get asked twice a day how to get good at wheelies, where were you all when you've got a safe practice enviroment?

The Subway for lunch idea was great, keep it for the next one.

The only gripe I have is lack of track time, but in this instance, no one could have changed it and it was a good descision to abort.

People who have mentioned the expense, I'd gladdly fork over another three hundy to go hang out with 100+ people, every single one of whom I enjoy the company of. I spent the day with my partner, my best mate (who I don't see often enough), my brother and all the other cool cunts that make this site excellent. Fucken cheap day if you ask me.

scooterboynz
20th December 2005, 22:01
just another thought, to speed up the scrutineering process , maybe get a pre-check and a sticker thats valid for a week from say someone like kerry at motohaus the weekend before , then just show the sticker on the bike the morning of the track day just to speed things up a little

RiderInBlack
21st December 2005, 05:46
just another thought, to speed up the scrutineering process , maybe get a pre-check and a sticker thats valid for a week from say someone like kerry at motohaus the weekend before , then just show the sticker on the bike the morning of the track day just to speed things up a littleNot kean on the Week thing. A lot can happen to a bike in 1 day let alone 1 week. But Scrutineering bikes that arrive the evening before the day at track would be a cool idea (the Rusty Nuts do that for the GC). A lot of us were there on Sat. If all those had been done on Sat, Scrutineering would have been alot quicker. Also it is up to all of us to make sure we are there early enough to sign-in and get our bikes ready on time for scrutineering.
PS: Good to see that the bikes were being scrutineered. Big Thanks to Frosty and Doogal for their time doing this.

FROSTY
21st December 2005, 08:06
THANKS A MILLION FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS N GALS.
The more the merrier -Up till now Id thought it just plumb wasn't a big enough deal for a food van --Ohh how wrong could a bloke be--
Pillion counted over 100 of you lot --68 riders ,10 marshalls an extra 20 or so just along to watch
Youll see a lot of these ideas being put into place for the next track day

DEATH_INC.
21st December 2005, 10:05
I tend to think the scruitineering is perhaps a little overkill,most of us either know what's safe,have racebikes(which are scruitineered often) or have wof's.

The Stranger
21st December 2005, 10:55
When we spoke yesterday you mooted the idea of running it on Saturday instead of Sunday.

Thinking about it I like the idea.
Taupo is fairly central and we have a lot of the country there, why not have a function on the Saturday night so we can get to meet and greet and kill some surplus brain cells.

bugjuice
21st December 2005, 10:59
I think running it on Sunday gives people time to sort their shit out on Saturday and get there (personally)..

Do think that scrutnieering is a little ott, but can see the point. At the end of the day, the rider has to know that they can trust their machine. But at the same token, you don't want crap all over the track cos people don't know that their oil is leaking

skelstar
21st December 2005, 11:04
I think running it on Sunday gives people time to sort their shit out on Saturday and get there (personally)..

Do think that scrutnieering is a little ott, but can see the point. At the end of the day, the rider has to know that they can trust their machine. But at the same token, you don't want crap all over the track cos people don't know that their oil is leaking
My scruting took bugger all time. Not sure why theres an issue here? I didnt see the queue get longer than 8-10 bikes. Maybe I just wasnt around at the right time.

bugjuice
21st December 2005, 11:06
I haven't got a problem with it, just commenting on Death's comment really. I was running late and rushing around, and forgot half my stuff! But got it done in the end.

The Stranger
21st December 2005, 11:19

Well it *may* have been ott (don't believe so personally), but look at it a different way.
Had something bad happened Frosty may have been facing OSH or a court case and all for what, trying to give people a good time.

So where do you draw the line?

Devil
21st December 2005, 11:20
I prefer saturday myself. The heading home afterwards sucked.

bugjuice
21st December 2005, 11:22
Well it *may* have been ott (don't believe so personally), but look at it a different way.
Had something bad happened Frosty may have been facing OSH or a court case and all for what, trying to give people a good time.

So where do you draw the line?
that's why we signed the forms.. ;)
but I understand why it's done.
ah feck, forget I said it :)
as you were

Test Pilot
21st December 2005, 11:22
personaly id reckon it would be better on saturday so that gives everyone sat night to get on it, and then chill on sunday before having to head back home. An earlier start would have been good as well. But overall it was well run.

Test Pilot
21st December 2005, 11:23
ohh yeah the flag thing was really annoying, had no idea what the heck was going on half the time

The Stranger
21st December 2005, 11:26
Mate that only stops you having a go at him, not OSH etc.
You can not contract outside the law of the land, and if the law happens to deem the organiser liable no waiver is going to help.

bugjuice
21st December 2005, 11:27
ahh.. fairy fluff

emaN
21st December 2005, 11:39
i spectated as a spectator often does, and whilst spectating began specutating....(actually, i didn't, but hey....who's counting?)

Van idea = great! Could drop off/pick up marshalls at the same time
Map = yep! including suggested lines, braking points etc
Noob's = be there early to walk the track with an experienced rider
Flags = a white one, (not being racialist here), a chequered one, a red one
Groups = fast guys/chicks 1st. (they really made a difference cleaning up lines thru' the Sweeper!)
Saturday = yep, like the sound o' dat!
Weather = 'ave a word with the bloke upstairs
Food = thankyou for organising that, 'cos i hadn't!

Good on you Frosty for wanting another crack at it....you masochist you!

Mental Trousers
21st December 2005, 11:53
The scrutineering and paperwork etc seemed to take no time at all. The only problem I had was I turned up at the track without any cash and had to shoot back into Taupo with the bike all taped up hoping there weren't any cops out.

A Saturday would suit me better that's for sure. Ride down after work on Friday, do the track day Saturday then have a get together that night. Sunday, wander back to Hammytown.

Postie
21st December 2005, 11:56
the Marshal towers were hollow, hopefully by next time, there might be a floor to stand on rather then needing to perch on the edges or we can take planks of wood to stand on. Not any ones fault other then the track owner.

_Gina_
21st December 2005, 11:56
People who have mentioned the expense, I'd gladdly fork over another three hundy to go hang out with 100+ people, every single one of whom I enjoy the company of. I spent the day with my partner, my best mate (who I don't see often enough), my brother and all the other cool cunts that make this site excellent. Fucken cheap day if you ask me.
Just what I was thinking.....
the atmosphere was brilliant, and I saw people pitching in all over the place to help out here and there as and when needed.
Cheap at twice the price.
:ride:

scooterboynz
21st December 2005, 14:31
I prefer saturday myself. The heading home afterwards sucked.
do what i did , book in for the monday off work and cruise home after a good nights kip! was bugger all traffic on the monday , ended up following "blackyoshi" along the matamata straights

DEATH_INC.
21st December 2005, 18:50
I was sorta thinking it(the scruitineering thing) would speed up getting out on the track really,more than anything......but I can see the point too.
Saturday would suck:no: ,some have to work saturday,and others spend the time organising trucks etc,and getting the bike ready.....
At the end of the day,the only real complaint I can think of is lack of track time, but of course most of this was out of Frosty's hands.
Now,how about restrictors for those bloody thous......

froggyfrenchman
21st December 2005, 18:56
How bout havn it on the saturday, and base the non track time round a particular camping ground. That way, could be like a KBer rally and track day. Would give those just along to watch a better chance to meet a few of the rest when no one is running round gettn ready and riding. As a large lump of the riders would stay there on the fri night, there is an opertunity (sp) to get some of the scrutineering done and awnser any noob questions

MadDuck
21st December 2005, 20:01
and all the other cool cunts that make this site excellent. Fucken cheap day if you ask me.

Ummm thanks I think. Agree whole heartedly...

I had a ball despite the lack of track time. Great to catch up with the some of the original KB crowd again....and would ride down again in the pouring rain just for another such meet.

ajturbo
21st December 2005, 20:06
Why did we get flagged in on the last session? Yep the rain was heavy but we had, had so little track time I, and others on the track, were happy to ride on in the rain but we got flagged in. As we were a group of more experienced riders the conditions did not create a hazard.

i flagged the last group in early... yes it was 30seconds early.. sorry about that..
but did you notice that the sesions were UPTO 15 min each? .... not the 10 they were at the beging?

but i would also like to thank you ALL for being responsible out there... made our job so much easyer!!!

think i need a black flag??????:nya:

FROSTY
21st December 2005, 20:28
Thanks guys n gals --Ill be fixing the stuff under my control
and doing a rain dance to fix the other.

If possible can i have suggestions for
1--getting flags made
2rental places for bullhorns
3anyone able to make up a map of the track -about 1.0mx .5m
Ohh by the way --on ya riders notes was a copy of the track map

Mental Trousers
21st December 2005, 20:51
I'm happy to help out by knocking up something like a track map with correct lines etc. As long as you tell me the correct lines of course etc :stupid:

White trash
21st December 2005, 21:10
One other suggestion Frosty, don't bother with the "no wheelies" rule for the fastest group.

Anyone doing accidental ones was accidentally checking for other riders before accidentally accelerating too hard anyway.

We're all big boys now.

skelstar
21st December 2005, 21:12
One other suggestion Frosty, don't bother with the "no wheelies" rule for the fastest group.

Anyone doing accidental ones was accidentally checking for other riders before accidentally accelerating too hard anyway.

We're all big boys now.
Better keep the 'no korean bike wheelies' rule in though. I think Poos is going to steal my keys at the next one.

White trash
21st December 2005, 21:14
Better keep the 'no korean bike wheelies' rule in though. I think Poos is going to steal my keys at the next one.

Cool. I'm next in line thanks. Reckon that'd be a great little bike 'round there and I'd be keen to see what it could do.

jimbo600
21st December 2005, 21:17

We're all big boys now.

That's a good idea there smoke. Should still be a stunt session some time throughout the day though.

White trash
21st December 2005, 21:19
That's a good idea there smoke. Should still be a stunt session some time throughout the day though.

Without a doubt. It's just that some of us need the practice during the day.

cowpoos
21st December 2005, 21:19

muaaaaaaahhhhhhhh muaaaaaaahhhhhh muuuuuaaaahhhhhh

I bloody tried....but you charged me like a horney rhino after some jiggy :shifty:

wheelies at the end..I agree....
I don't agree with fast group at the start....it'll give novices/slow unrealistic expectations and THEY WILL GET VERY NERVIOUS!!!!!
flag issuses agree....bull horn "MARVELOUS IDEA"

skelstar
21st December 2005, 21:22
...it'll give novices/slow unrealistic expectations and THEY WILL GET VERY NERVIOUS!!!!!..
Disagree. I was nervous...but I didnt watch the fast group and conciously think that I was slower than them (I knew it...didnt have to see it). Seeing the dynamics of bikes on the track and their behaviour would have been nice to watch first. The warmup lap was excellent though.

cowpoos
21st December 2005, 21:22
Cool. I'm next in line thanks. Reckon that'd be a great little bike 'round there and I'd be keen to see what it could do.

I'm bringing one of my MX bikes anyway jimmy...once I find a cheap 17inch front....probally klx300...does lovely wheelies...and rolling stoppies...shit even I can do em [bike only weights 100kgs]

and by the way....everyone can have a play on it...offroaders crash really well...[buggar all damage] and it has moose bars do they shouldn't get bent...

skelstar
21st December 2005, 21:24
I'm bringing one of my MX bikes anyway jimmy...once I find a cheap 17inch front....probally klx300...does lovely wheelies...and rolling stoppies...shit even I can do em [bike only weights 100kgs]
I would LOVE to race you if you were going to ride that one session. I might learn something.

White trash
21st December 2005, 21:28

and by the way....everyone can have a play on it...offroaders crash really well...[buggar all damage] and it has moose bars do they shouldn't get bent...

Brilliant! Some homo on this website has a great vid of me at Manfeild, knee decked through the sweeper then wheelieing the front straight on a CR500 motard.

I lOVE dirt bikes on the road.

cowpoos
21st December 2005, 21:29
I would LOVE to race you if you were going to ride that one session. I might learn something.

sure....I was gunna try and sneak out on it in the slow or medium sessions anyway.

cowpoos
21st December 2005, 21:31
Brilliant! Some homo on this website has a great vid of me at Manfeild, knee decked through the sweeper then wheelieing the front straight on a CR500 motard.

I lOVE dirt bikes on the road.

help me sorce a front 17inch closer to the day...I'll put some stick tyres on it...I'll have her in the slow group...u can take her in the medium :niceone:

MadDuck
21st December 2005, 21:31
I bloody tried....but you charged me like a horney rhino after some jiggy :shifty:

Jezz I make a comment like that I am burned in the eternal flames.

cowpoos
21st December 2005, 21:34
Jezz I make a comment like that I am burned in the eternal flames.

sorry dudette....thats coz your not cool like me :scooter:

MadDuck
21st December 2005, 21:37
sorry dudette....thats coz your not cool like me :scooter:

Can I just say on the record....THANK FARK FOR THAT!

RiderInBlack
21st December 2005, 21:43
I like the order (Slow - Fast). It give me a chance to gauge my speed and up grade if needed.
Only one comment with classes:
Where a rider is know to be fast and competent but never been on a track before, he should not be made to ride a Noob class. They are way to competent and quick for real novice Noobs and freak them out. There was a few fasties having to do this Sun, that would have been fine not doing the Noob Class

MadDuck
21st December 2005, 21:53
Well heres a bulletin for yas all. I elected to go in the slow group for a reason...oh shit yeah I'm slow.

I didnt expect you faster buggers to crash on in. You chose to then thats your choice. Those that came into our group then whined ...door that way >----

Mental Trousers
21st December 2005, 22:05
Didn't have the choice Duck. I was put in the Novice group for the first session, then bumped to the next group then went up to the Medium group eventually.

I guess a change in how people were put into groups is something that could be considered for the next track day. Guys on medium/large sports bikes are always going to go quicker than most of the novices, simply because the bike has more straight line speed.

skelstar
21st December 2005, 22:06
amen

10 chars

edit:
Guys on medium/large sports bikes are always going to go quicker than most of the novices, simply because the bike has more straight line speed

MadDuck
21st December 2005, 22:17
Didn't have the choice Duck. I was put in the Novice group for the first session, then bumped to the next group then went up to the Medium group eventually.

I guess a change in how people were put into groups is something that could be considered for the next track day. Guys on medium/large sports bikes are always going to go quicker than most of the novices, simply because the bike has more straight line speed.

I think maybe you guys missed the point. I have a chance to be out there on the track and have some fun...yes its called fun. You go into a group that is below your expectations then get "ratty". All I heard was

"We cant pass
"You too slow"

It was my day too..dont forget it!

Well bugger me thats why I was in the slow group....

Mental Trousers
21st December 2005, 22:25
It's no fun for anyone if some people are in the wrong group. It's not enjoyable if you have someone climbing all over the back of you, just like it's not enjoyable being the person behind.

MadDuck
21st December 2005, 22:32
It's no fun for anyone if some people are in the wrong group. It's not enjoyable if you have someone climbing all over the back of you, just like it's not enjoyable being the person behind.

Put yourself in the right group next time and dont undercut me on the hairpin and nearly cause me to crash MT. I wanna ride next weekend ...maybe you dont

SPman
21st December 2005, 22:45
Ummm thanks I think. Agree whole heartedly...

I had a ball despite the lack of track time. ...
Think of the marshalls...Last time I was just getting into it - but - only 2 sessions ...so.......
This time .....had to cancel coz of ....things..like ..could barely ride and new bike and fucked in the head.......!! - so - 2 track days worked or paid for - 15mins track time............!
So
lack of track time is all relative........

Mental Trousers
21st December 2005, 22:53
Duck, I already said we didn't get to choose the group we were in.

And I never passed anyone on the inside of the hairpin. Accelerating from turn 1 to the hairpin yes, but not under brakes. I pulled up beside a few cos was using a different line as others were braking much earlier than I was and I definitely didn't want to ram anyone. Sorry if you got a fright from that. But I did NOT pass anyone on the inside.

Gixxer 4 ever
21st December 2005, 23:07
i flagged the last group in early... yes it was 30seconds early.. sorry about that..

Thank you for doing the job you did. I think you understand the problem was the lack of track time. I just wanted more than 2 and a half sessions so was prepared to ride in the rain to get it. I enjoyed the rain on the track cos I was increasing speed corner on corner till I could fell the back start to slide out. Wheel spinning on the straight was an experience to and it was nice to play in a safe place without cages and stuff coming at me. So how far would the Diablo go??????
Anyway thanks for your time on the day. You all rock.:Punk:

FROSTY
22nd December 2005, 07:45
Folks -If speed group decisions were wrong then That was my responsibiluity
I should have moved people around .
As for the early shut down --It wasn't the rain that made my decision--It was the 50mm of loose mud//clay/rock mixed into the oil weeping out of brand new tarmac. I apreciate you are all adults but I would have made the same decision tomorrow if it happened again.

DEATH_INC.
22nd December 2005, 07:49
Here's another thought,how about breaking the slowies into under and over 600cc,I know of at least one who had the problem of being passed down the straight by big bikes then held up for the rest of the lap.....

cowpoos
22nd December 2005, 09:16
Here's another thought,how about breaking the slowies into under and over 600cc,I know of at least one who had the problem of being passed down the straight by big bikes then held up for the rest of the lap.....

bloody marvilous Idea....have 600's-1000s [and bigger I suppose] in one group and the smaller bikes in another group...whipe the idea of novice altogether...and hav the two slow groups...

MSTRS
22nd December 2005, 09:20
bloody marvilous Idea....have 600's-1000s [and bigger I suppose] in one group and the smaller bikes in another group...whipe the idea of novice altogether...and hav the two slow groups...
No way. Not everyone with even a 250 will ride towards their bike's limits. You gotta cater for those that are comfortable just pootling

Devil
22nd December 2005, 09:21
Well...heh I'm on a 600 and I had the same problem, couldnt get past bigger bikes on the straight!
Do you think we should break out the blue flags to let people know that someone wants to get past? Surely we all have the mental capacity to deal with one extra flag.

skelstar
22nd December 2005, 09:32
I dont think we should go out too hard to appease minority groups like this. Slow bikes just have to deal.
It WAS super frustrating but to be honest, if a big bike is passed around the outside on a corner by a little bike, then they should let them go past...they shouldnt blast off down the straight only to be caught up again ina couple more corners... Its more common sense than anything else.
I think having flags and more 'systems' and groups will only detract from the fun aspect of the day.

Velox
22nd December 2005, 09:39
Just a couple of already mentioned things:

I agree that scrutineering was a bit OTT! Thanks heaps to the guy who did it and taped up my bike though (sorry - don't know which KBer you are)! Cheers mate. But isn't it usually just checking if you're bike's got a warrant and the rest is up to the responsibility of the rider?

I agree that the novice and slow groups seemed a bit too similar to me until Frosty changed the rules for the slow group. Perhaps just have the 'allowed to pass' rule from the start and that would solve that one. Although it would allow everyone much more track time if the two groups were combined. The other 2 trackdays that I've been to just had a 'slow/novice' group that begginers (or little bikes) went into.

Otherwise - all good! Awesome job Frosty!

Velox
22nd December 2005, 09:42
It WAS super frustrating but to be honest, if a big bike is passed around the outside on a corner by a little bike, then they should let them go past...they shouldnt blast off down the straight only to be caught up again ina couple more corners... Its more common sense than anything else.

That's the fun of it though!

skelstar
22nd December 2005, 09:45
That's the fun of it though!
Well...if I had a bit more confidence i would have passed through the esses but it was my first TD :). Manfield should have a bit more room though...

Gixxer 4 ever
22nd December 2005, 10:20
Folks -If speed group decisions were wrong then That was my responsibiluity
I should have moved people around ..

You did good.
But remember ppl it was not a race day. You are out to enjoy the track and improve your riding skills. So going around bikes and being stuck behind bikes is part of developing these skills. I should have jumped up to the next level and had a run with them. I am sure I would have had my butt kicked but I would have learnt a lot more about what the bike will and will not do. So next time I just might give it a go. I also think ppl should choose the group they go in. Once out and around they will decided to stay or move up. The only thing is you have to wait till the next round before you move up. It would be easy to double your track time by changing every round.

As for the early shut down --It wasn't the rain that made my decision--It was the 50mm of loose mud//clay/rock mixed into the oil weeping out of brand new tarmac. I apreciate you are all adults but I would have made the same decision tomorrow if it happened again.

It's cool Frosty. You did what you had to do. Most of our roads are like that. Fun to play on and a safe environment to do it.

DEATH_INC.
22nd December 2005, 13:34
No way. Not everyone with even a 250 will ride towards their bike's limits. You gotta cater for those that are comfortable just pootling
That's cool,but you have the choice to pootle if you're on a thou,what the prob was is people who pootle till they get to the straight where it's the only real place for newbs/novices to pass,then blast off into the distance only to slow right down again at turn 1.....fine if yer in the advanced groups,but who's gonna be the bad guy (guyett) if you stuff it up the inside in the novice groups cause it's the only place to pass?:no: At least if everyone is on similar sized bikes it would reduce this frustrating problem.....

DEATH_INC.
22nd December 2005, 13:38
I think having flags and more 'systems' and groups will only detract from the fun aspect of the day.
I was thinking of combining the novice and slow groups then making them under and over 500cc.....

RiderInBlack
22nd December 2005, 20:36
It would be easy to double your track time by changing every round.Was a few doing just that (They know who they were:Pokey:).

Quasievil
22nd December 2005, 20:50

What the fuck you talking about I was passing heaps of 600 cc and 1000cc and bigger on my 400 , shite they were holding me up !
two examples below

Gixxer 4 ever
22nd December 2005, 20:54
Was a few doing just that (They know who they were:Pokey:).

Yes I did note that. :eyepoke: But so close to Christmas and all.

cowpoos
22nd December 2005, 21:02
What the fuck you talking about I was passing heaps of 600 cc and 1000cc and bigger on my 400 , shite they were holding me up !
two examples below

were you in the slow group laddie????? that must have been good for your sgo...lmao :ride:

RiderInBlack
22nd December 2005, 21:04
two examples belowNo big skite (Sp, can't find it with the sp checker) passing "Roxanne's" fat arse. Got past by smaller bike than yours that day. LOL.

RiderInBlack
22nd December 2005, 21:05
were you in the slow group laddie????? that must have been good for your sgo...lmao :ride:"Roxanne" was running Medium thanks Mr Poos:moon:

Quasievil
22nd December 2005, 21:09
were you in the slow group laddie????? that must have been good for your sgo...lmao :ride:

Incorrect i was in the Medium group, I wasnt allowed in the fast group because I had a leaky fork seal......... actually.
And my sgo? doesnt need inflating thanks laddie, im fine as I am

cowpoos
22nd December 2005, 21:25
Incorrect i was in the Medium group, I wasnt allowed in the fast group because I had a leaky fork seal......... actually.
And my sgo? doesnt need inflating thanks laddie, im fine as I am

well...death and I were discussing the idea with the slow/novice group in mind...not medium...hav a quick read of death's and my posts...:spudwave:

loosebruce
23rd December 2005, 00:12

HOMO you fuck, that video has just been deleted ya bitch as well as that mint wheelie on your K3 through the kink on the front straight. Ya wank :tugger:

track condition sucked but couldn't be helped, plus chances are it's more a once off thing with the construction under going at the mo, i doubt it would've been that way had the construction not been happening one of those unfortunite things, that people rode around or through!

Squid sess at the end is a good un.

Scuretineering (WTF) i can see why you would want it done, but it was a timely process, either get everyone there earlyier or get more people helping not just a couple of ya's to speed things up, put me and WT and Death n charge as well, well maybe not me if you go by the state of the TL but you get my drift Tony, more than a few of us know whats whats and whats not and some of that duct tape took the paint of me R1 tail uniti i have a hard enough time as it is keeping me bike mint without crap like that happening.

Speeding up group changes has been covered already

Rain, meh it's a good thing i reckon, tracks the best place to gain wet weather riding experiance (of the faster nature) keep it, just for one session though.

The ol Subgay was well sorted, but i'll stick to a block of lard, that sub shit is far to healthly for ol Bruce.

All in all cool as day, and cool people to kick it with.

FROSTY
6th January 2006, 14:31
One thing I will change that I hoped I would never have to talk about -I thought it was common sense stuff
There is to be no Alchohol consumed in the track area whilst track day is on. Track area includes the sealed pits area and by anyone that also includes spectators. Anyone in possession of open alcohol containers/cans/bottles will be asked to leave.
This is a condition of hire of Taupo Raceway and if an official representing them saw booze being drunk they would have shut the track day down.

RiderInBlack
6th January 2006, 20:24
Can we get on the pisser after the last sesh?Only if you drink it off the track grounds. Don't want to loose the right to use the track just because of a few drinks do we. Plenty of time to drink what you want at bar near by were you don't have to drive anywhere afterwards hey:msn-wink:

FROSTY
6th January 2006, 21:04
Sorry to correct ya here RIB.
There is no problem with a few Bevvies AFTER The day is finished.
The deck of the clubrooms,the stands area and the grass paddock are all no problems AFTER riding is over for the day.

RiderInBlack
6th January 2006, 21:06
Sorry to correct ya here RIB.
There is no problem with a few Bevvies AFTER The day is finished.
The deck of the clubrooms,the stands area and the grass paddock are all no problems AFTER riding is over for the day.Sweet as. As long as the track owners are happy Frosty, hey:2thumbsup

FROSTY
13th January 2006, 20:19
Thanks a million folks--a lot of bloody good advise and watch for it apearing in track day 3