PDA

View Full Version : Intruder riders

vs04
19th December 2005, 19:54
Hi guys.Interested to know how many of you ride intruders, and is there such a thing as an intruder owners club in NZ.Cheers.

Gremlin
19th December 2005, 19:58
is there such a thing as an intruder club in NZ.Cheers.
yep, hard to get hold of them tho, a lot can be found in mt eden though.

If you do get hold of one, keep hold, we'd all like a piece.

They may be under burglars in the yellow pages, not sure.

p/t :shifty:

wari
20th December 2005, 00:34
YOu coold all-ways starrt one heer (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16) .. :psst: ... lettme know .. :drinkup:

rfc85
20th December 2005, 05:07
i got one and love it to bits

heavenly.talker
20th December 2005, 07:58
Mack the knife has a choppered and customised 1400.

zadok
20th December 2005, 09:20
I know where you can get a slightly used 1500 :ride: :yeah: :blip:

outlawtorn
20th December 2005, 15:57
Hi guys.Interested to know how many of you ride intruders, and is there such a thing as an intruder owners club in NZ.Cheers.
I've pretty much looked for the same kind of thing but can't find anything around....

vs04
20th December 2005, 18:26
Anybody intersted in getting a group together.Not to sure how to get the ball rolling,any ideas.:ride:

gman
20th December 2005, 19:33
yo count me in.could be interesting:grouphug:

rfc85
20th December 2005, 19:38
me too,if it means more riding i'm there

gman
20th December 2005, 19:44
definatly in for the riding!! ive just changed my pillion seat for a rear of a harley softtail.the misses reckons its heaps better than the original and the plus for me is a better back rest.got better mufflers comin this week too should make it sound abit better.

vs04
20th December 2005, 20:48
What i,ll do is get in touch after the xmas madness and see how you guys are placed for time etc and see if we can,t organise a run somewhere.Cheers.:Punk:

gman
21st December 2005, 19:15
sweet dude:headbang:

sheddy
23rd December 2005, 05:24
Hey guys.
you may have seen some of my threads but just in case you have not. I'm looking for an xv1100 or 1400 intruder. if you come across anything decent give me a whistle. The budget doesn't extend to a new one though. those vs800 must get a bit busy at 110km hour, I see the 1400 runs a thousand rpm lower at that sort of speed.
Cheers.

vs04
23rd December 2005, 07:22
Gidday sheddy.I saw a 1400 at Anza Motorcycles a while back, a 94 or 96 i think, they wanted around $9000.oo, wether it,s still there or not i dont know.Dont be put of by the 800,s those things will run at 110,120 all day with no problems.Phil turnbull motorcycles in palmerston north had a mint 03 model which i,m pretty sure is still there for around 8 or 9 grand,i went to a 1400 because of my height and needed something a little bigger otherwise it would have been an 800.If i hear about or see anything i,ll let you know.Cheers

gman
23rd December 2005, 13:56
have you looked at trademe?? theres a nice blue one with after market pipes and aircleaner.looks real nice.:2thumbsup

sheddy
23rd December 2005, 22:56
I'm around 6'1 and have had a look at the 800's. They look a bit small to me and for some reason I have this thing about the air cooled bikes. I suppose its just like the rest of us we all have prefferences. there is a mint vs800 on trademe currently but I haven't got passed the fact its water cooled. More things to maintain maybe. Air cooled bikes seem to last as long if not longer before rebuilds. Eg Virago 1100 and the good old vs 1400. I've noted a few Kwaka Vulcans seem to get rebuilt before 60k.
Thanks for the help, keep it coming.
realistically my budget is up to about 8K.
I am also chasing some good nick leathers, jacket about a 42 and pants about 36/38 waist.

In a perfect world I'd like a seeger or AME 14 degree chopper kitted bike. They look awesome. as long as it handles in a straight line I'll be happy.:blip:

vs04
24th December 2005, 06:52
Hi sheddy.I hear what you,re saying,the only thing that i did,nt like about the 800s was that ugly radiator IMO it spoilt the look of the bike somewhat.I dont know much about the vulcans or viragos but i know the 1400s are almost bullet proof,regular oil changes[i use amsoil 10w-40] and services and you,ll get 100.000 +miles not k,s out of them easily,maybe the clutch and the obvious things like tires etc but highly unlikely you,ll need to touch the motor, not bad for an air/ oil cooled engine.:ride:

Macktheknife
24th December 2005, 07:26
I am on my third Intruder, I love them.Have owned a 700, 800 and 1400, I have never had a problem with any of them, water cooled or not. I am currently in the process of 'choppering' my 1400, would be keen for another bunch to ride with next year, keep me in mind.

vs04
24th December 2005, 07:53
I am on my third Intruder, I love them.Have owned a 700, 800 and 1400, I have never had a problem with any of them, water cooled or not. I am currently in the process of 'choppering' my 1400, would be keen for another bunch to ride with next year, keep me in mind.
Gidday mate.I,m keen to try and get some sort of club going for jap cruisers etc,nothing financial justa group of people who enjoy riding cruisers.Not sure how to get it started,bit difficult with everyone so spread out but there,s a few here that are interested.If you,re interested or have any ideas let me know, would like to do something in the new year.:2thumbsup

Waylander
24th December 2005, 08:16
Very interested in seeing some pics of the work in progress as it develops mate.

And VS04, I'de be keen on that.

vs04
24th December 2005, 10:37
Very interested in seeing some pics of the work in progress as it develops mate.

And VS04, I'de be keen on that.
Awesome, the list is getting bigger

Thumper
24th December 2005, 17:45
Hey if this gets off the ground, count me in!!!

rudolph
24th December 2005, 17:53
I got a Intruder front end on my Honda dose that count?

gman
24th December 2005, 18:45
mines a water cooled vs 750 never had a problem with the water.the guy at phil turnbills said he had a guy in with a leaking radiator and he rode it from auckland with no water in it.had no probs with over heating.my thermo fan come on the other day but only because i was playing in the traffic on the way home.:devil2:

vs04
25th December 2005, 13:52
Hey if this gets off the ground, count me in!!!
If we all start throwing ideas around on how to get started it should,nt be a problem.:niceone:

vs04
25th December 2005, 13:55
I got a Intruder front end on my Honda dose that count?
Yep,if your,e keen why not.

mcphod
26th December 2005, 18:04
I have just brought a VL800 Voluisa.
2003 with 8000km on clock. It is one fantastic bike to ride.
:first:

sheddy
26th December 2005, 19:12
what was the wallet damage on the volouisa, I have read good reports on them. Not as quick as the vs800 intruder but more comfortable for longer rides. Did it come with saddle bags?. did you ride a 1500 as well before buying. Cheers

rfc85
26th December 2005, 22:00
my vl800 is great,did 450 ks today 2 up and it just"purred" need to get some louder pipes for it-just too quiet-went to taihape and back,awsome weather and shit loads of bikes going to wanganui,going wellies to coromandel on wed if anyone is going north ???

vs04
27th December 2005, 07:03
my vl800 is great,did 450 ks today 2 up and it just"purred" need to get some louder pipes for it-just too quiet-went to taihape and back,awsome weather and shit loads of bikes going to wanganui,going wellies to coromandel on wed if anyone is going north ???
Which way are you going,i,m taking my son through to the army museum in waiouru on wednesday.Leaving from wanganui and going up through hunterville taihape way.:niceone:

rfc85
27th December 2005, 16:37
leaveing here bout 10ish as need to put daughter on the bus to rotorua first,then up #1 thru hunterville and waiouru be there around 12.30 depending on traffic,if i see your bike in the park i'll call in and say hi

vs04
27th December 2005, 16:53
leaveing here bout 10ish as need to put daughter on the bus to rotorua first,then up #1 thru hunterville and waiouru be there around 12.30 depending on traffic,if i see your bike in the park i'll call in and say hi
I,ll leave here around same time,just cruiseing up there.Look for intruder and triumph thunderbird in carpark i,ll make sure i,m there around 12-30.Cheers.

rfc85
28th December 2005, 06:01
might even catch you on the road but my timings are very approx and would hate for you to sit round waiting when ive either gone or not left yet

sheddy
1st January 2006, 13:16
That 1400 you have vagabond is one awesome lookin beast.Wont hadle as good as the 900 but it does look the part. Black is best.:ride: My bank account is in danger....but my Mrs is dangerous:2guns: . Theres gonna be a showdown and I'm diggin a trench.:chase:

hairy stu
27th April 2006, 15:03
ive got a 750 intruder, bought it on trademe for 1800 bucks, once i had a new front disc and a pair of fork seals it was time to get out on it, ive not ridden since 1997 and that was an armstrong mt500. i found it real easy to ride, so much so i did 900kms in two days on it. the only thing im after is a set of free-er flowing pipes for it, bit too quiet for my liking. if any one forms a club for us intruders down here in christchurch id be willing to join. my brothers dont like it though, ones got a homologated 916 and the other a ccm supermoto. im also 6 foot 4 and dont really have a problem with the size of the bike. ps if anyone knows where i can get some pipes from would be interested to hear from them.

Macktheknife
3rd May 2006, 20:00
ive got a 750 intruder, bought it on trademe for 1800 bucks, once i had a new front disc and a pair of fork seals it was time to get out on it, ive not ridden since 1997 and that was an armstrong mt500. i found it real easy to ride, so much so i did 900kms in two days on it. the only thing im after is a set of free-er flowing pipes for it, bit too quiet for my liking. if any one forms a club for us intruders down here in christchurch id be willing to join. my brothers dont like it though, ones got a homologated 916 and the other a ccm supermoto. im also 6 foot 4 and dont really have a problem with the size of the bike. ps if anyone knows where i can get some pipes from would be interested to hear from them.

Stu, a mate of mine is getting some in from the states for about $380US incl postage, regularly sold on Ebay. Failing that try getting in touch with your local shop who deals with Northern accessories, I understand they had some drag pipes for the 1400/1500, might have to be quick though.

Drum
26th August 2006, 17:55
Bump........

I'm currently interested in a VS700GLF INTRUDER as the next step up from my 250. I commute 60k's return each day - Have you Intruder riders got any thoughts on commuting suitability, and any idea of economy?

Any known issues with the VS700 (its an '89 with 27,00 miles on the clock).

What kind of cruising speed and top speed could one expect, and at how many rev's?

Cheers fellas

vs04
27th August 2006, 07:43
Bump........

I'm currently interested in a VS700GLF INTRUDER as the next step up from my 250. I commute 60k's return each day - Have you Intruder riders got any thoughts on commuting suitability, and any idea of economy?

What kind of cruising speed and top speed could one expect, and at how many rev's?

Cheers fellas

Hey drum.Iwould imagine the 700s are similar to the 800, 1400, in design,they have,nt changed them much over the years.For commuting it should be ok, they have a small tank on them so you,d want to top up each day i would think.I dont know of any issues with the 700s, if they,re anything like the 8s and 1400s then they,re pretty much bullet proof, regular services, oil etc and you should be right.As far as cruiseing speed goes,you should,nt have any problems sitting on 110-120 all day but at what revs i could,nt say, i think the 1400 sits at around 6500-7000 at top speed which is around 180ks but you,d need a bloody long straight and a cut lunch to get there.Just remember they,re a cruiser not a sport bike,easy to ride super realiable and suit old nanas like me down to the ground.Cheers.

Drum
27th August 2006, 08:38
Thanks for that.

damo
11th September 2006, 16:55
I have a 2004 Intruder - 250cc model... good fun for learning on, and it looks like a bigger bike too.

I use it every day for work.. good times.

figure I will flick it on when I get my full ticket.

Macktheknife
14th September 2006, 17:36
Bump........

Cheers fellas

Hey Drum, I used to get about 200-220kms out of a tank on mine, top speed around 180km, damn near bullet-proof bike really. Great for the daily commute, or touring low to mid distance. Do the oil regularly and basic maintenance, everything will go well for ages.

damo
18th September 2006, 16:16
I have a 2004 Intruder - 250cc model... good fun for learning on, and it looks like a bigger bike too.

I use it every day for work.. good times.

figure I will flick it on when I get my full ticket.

Well I did till it got stolen.

vs04
18th September 2006, 18:01
Well I did till it got stolen.

Shit mate, when did that happen.

damo
19th September 2006, 10:09
Last wednesday the 14th Sept.

was locked up at home, must of been targeted, and lifted in the middle of the night.

I thought meadowbank was a nice area, the neighbour has had his car broken into twice in the last 5 days.

figure i'll just get myself a gn250 for the foreseeable future, til I buy a house with a garage, a doberman and a moat.

vs04
19th September 2006, 18:49
Last wednesday the 14th Sept.

was locked up at home, must of been targeted, and lifted in the middle of the night.

I thought meadowbank was a nice area, the neighbour has had his car broken into twice in the last 5 days.

figure i'll just get myself a gn250 for the foreseeable future, til I buy a house with a garage, a doberman and a moat.

Sounds like they knew it was there.Assholes.

Donor
22nd October 2007, 11:15
Huzzah - old thread resurrected!

Looking at a VS700 - not a bad price, not perfect, but seems fairly tidy.

This would be my first step into the cruiser world (belly doesn't fit most sprotsbikes...) - opinions sought please!

Toaster
22nd October 2007, 12:14
Donor I have found the change to a muscle cruiser a great way of being able to ride something more comfortable for a battered body, but still with a bit of aggressive styling to it.

I loved the sportsbikes but my body has taken a real hammering from car crashes (passenger) and sports injuries over the years. The more sedate riding position takes the pressure off my back, hip and wrists and to be honest is a lot more fun at 'relatively' road legal speeds than a sports bike which feels so under-utilised at 100-120km/h.

I'd still love a Hayabusa for playtime though, since I have already had the other GSXRs. Need winning Lotto ticket huh!.....

Donor
22nd October 2007, 12:17
Cheers for that...

The one I have my eye on is listed on Tardme, it's an '88 and the guy is asking $3,300

Seriously tempted to go have a squizz at it... I have sod all else to do today!

Toaster
22nd October 2007, 12:41
Sounds like a good plan for a crappy weather day it's blowing so hard here you'd think Pamela Anderson was up to tricks. Will be good to hear what you think of it after a squizz.

Donor
22nd October 2007, 13:39
Sounds like a good plan for a crappy weather day it's blowing so hard here you'd think Pamela Anderson was up to tricks. Will be good to hear what you think of it after a squizz.

Mint - on my way to Sunnynook now to have a look...

Trying to get a body or two along to co-look cos I got rose tinted glasses on at the moment dammit!

Toaster
22nd October 2007, 13:47
Mint - on my way to Sunnynook now to have a look...

Trying to get a body or two along to co-look cos I got rose tinted glasses on at the moment dammit!

The old rose tinted glasses are mandatory when bike shopping! Dangerous things them glasses. :rockon:

Donor
22nd October 2007, 13:49
The old rose tinted glasses are mandatory when bike shopping! Dangerous things them glasses. :rockon:

Tell me about it... I'm close to... *gasp*

...taking the wife!

Toaster
22nd October 2007, 13:57
Tell me about it... I'm close to... *gasp*

...taking the wife!

Suggested strategy.... always always show them some really expensive options first that are not what you are actually after. THEN you slip in the "hey honey here is a much more affordable option!!" It is all about seeing a "deal" in it.:2thumbsup

bmz2
22nd October 2007, 15:01
good advise,but that just did not cut it with my wife, showed a boat [boat needed plenty of work 1985 motor, trailer rust to the max, told her we can replace this that and well be fishing in appox 6mths, she turned around to me and said WE ARE NOT HAVING THAT NANNA BOAT IN OUR YARD:gob:, SO SHE PICKED THE BOAT, the most expensive boat on the yard:clap::sweatdrop got the one i wanted:clap: , toaster you are right woman alway's look for the deal, woman just have to see dollar value with a little help, ok alot,try this as well ,long faces and grunts and yes dear, and you always get this in the end i sick of you under my feet , buy the thing if it makes you happy:yes:

Toaster
22nd October 2007, 15:27
try this as well ,long faces and grunts and yes dear

Yes well long grunts and lots of "yeah baby" can also work wonders ;)

Donor
22nd October 2007, 17:42
Well, I went and saw, took a gijoe1313 with me to be my voice of reason and sanity - that sure as hell didn't work!

Long story short, I'm off up the road tomorrow to get some money so's I can buy me a bike!! :banana:

Toaster
23rd October 2007, 20:10
Well, I went and saw, took a gijoe1313 with me to be my voice of reason and sanity - that sure as hell didn't work!

Long story short, I'm off up the road tomorrow to get some money so's I can buy me a bike!! :banana:

gijoe1313 .... voice of reason and sanity???!! :shifty::eek:

Great short story there Donor.... get some munny get some munny get some munny... congrats on the new bike purrrrchase!!

Donor
23rd October 2007, 21:36
Went to both Wizard Finance and Westpac to arrange dosh today - hell, got to cover all bases!

Should have funds by lunchtime tomorrow - huzzah!

Then it's a wait til Friday to uplift the beast, a blinging and polishing session and a weeks wait before I can (legally) ride it!

Toaster
24th October 2007, 18:57
Then it's a wait til Friday to uplift the beast, a blinging and polishing session and a weeks wait before I can (legally) ride it!

There will likely be a ride somehwere north next weekend if keen. JF has also posted a cruiser ride out south west this weekend also.

Donor
24th October 2007, 20:25
Full test on the 4th of Nov - will be looking to practice my elite cruiser skills before I show myself in public!

Now taking bets on how many times I burn my boots on the exhaust trying to find the bloody pegs behind me...

jafar
24th October 2007, 20:43
Full test on the 4th of Nov - will be looking to practice my elite cruiser skills before I show myself in public!

Now taking bets on how many times I burn my boots on the exhaust trying to find the bloody pegs behind me...

I'll bet 3 times & all in the first week :sunny:

KoroJ
24th October 2007, 21:36
.......Now taking bets on how many times I burn my boots on the exhaust trying to find the bloody pegs behind me...

It's the big holes they leave in the corduras that pisses you off.....leaves the pipes hard to clean.

Donor
4th November 2007, 10:08
Huzzah!

I have a full licence - now to re-learn how to ride, and show you other cruiser types how a REAL ex-sprotsbike nana does it! :wari: