PDA

View Full Version : Backfire Fireworks

dss3
8th March 2004, 16:05
Was wondering if the mechanical types out there could give me some advise/ information on backfires. I have a 98 TL1000's that always backfires at 4000rpm when decelerating. While this causes no problem riding the bike and makes lots of pretty blue flames at night i'm curious as to whether this is doing any damage to the engine at all?

Cheers

spudchucka
8th March 2004, 16:20
Was wondering if the mechanical types out there could give me some advise/ information on backfires. I have a 98 TL1000's that always backfires at 4000rpm when decelerating. While this causes no problem riding the bike and makes lots of pretty blue flames at night i'm curious as to whether this is doing any damage to the engine at all?

Cheers

Don't know if it will cause damage, wouldn't think so. Mine does pretty much the same thing.

What sort of exhaust system do you have on yours??

I've got a Yoshimura titanium 2 - 1.

Try going here http://www.tlplanet.com and searching "backfire" or something like that. There's heaps of good TL info on that site.

White trash
8th March 2004, 16:20
Has it got after market mufflers?

They almost all do this unless really well tuned. Wont be doing your mufflers any good but probably no huge problem.

dss3
8th March 2004, 17:25
yeah it has two brothers pipes, one of which has had a fair amount of the baffles blown out of it now.

Thanks for replies guys
daryl

SPman
9th March 2004, 22:03
They sometimes backfire on the over run if there is a air leak somewhere in the exhaust system. Doesnt need to be much. My Bevel drive Duke used to do it.