PDA

View Full Version : Can I borrow some books?

hXc
20th December 2005, 15:00
I want to get some more riding information into me and a lot of people are talking about books like Twist Of The Wrist etc etc. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to lend any of these types of books to me for a short period of time.

Any other ideas people have? Baring(sp?) in mind that I don't have a road bike and can't legally ride on the road yet.

PM and I'll flick ya posting details. Thanks in advance

onearmedbandit
20th December 2005, 15:53
Bugjuice or Sniper might be able to help you with 'Flick of the wrist', but if you're after a motorcycle book try 'Twist of the Wrist'.

duckman
20th December 2005, 15:55
Err... I think you mean "Twist of the wrist" ... sorry can't help.

hXc
20th December 2005, 16:07
Oh shit!!! My bad! Fix that quickly. Man I'm cabbage.

Gixxer 4 ever
20th December 2005, 17:23
Just wait till you get the L plate and then just go out and do it. To much reading will stuff the natural instinct. Your old man will give you the lines:hitcher: and fill in the gaps. You can come riding with Speights_bud and me. :weird: It will happen, but give it time. When you can, just go out and do it.:wavey:

Angry Puppy
20th December 2005, 20:32
Sorry Gixxer but you are talking bollocks. Twist of the wrist II is a fantastic book which goes through the "survival reactions" and explains why you react the way you do. If you go out and act purely on instinct you will straight-line every bend. Contrary to popular belief a little education never did anyone any harm.:yeah:

But back to the original question, I'd lend you mine but the logistics of getting it down to Napier added to the probability of ever seeing it again is too great to overcome my appethy. Besides, it's alway good to have your own copy to refer to (and lend to others :niceone: ). You'll find it on Amazon easy enough.

Enjoy!

thealmightytaco
20th December 2005, 20:40
Theory without practise is useless.
Practise without theory is inefficient.

Bruce Lee (or whomever he heard it from)

erik
20th December 2005, 21:09
You should take a look at:
Proficient Motorcycling (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1889540536/104-7398356-1671167?v=glance&n=283155)

I think it is a far more useful book for general road riding than Twist of the Wrist. Twist of the Wrist seems to be geared more towards racing.

White trash
20th December 2005, 21:48
Gimme a dollar, I'll write down everything I know.

(BTW, thanks for marshalling on Sunday. You're a top bloke)

hXc
20th December 2005, 22:02
Theory without practise is useless.
Practise without theory is inefficient.

Bruce Lee (or whomever he heard it from)

That's bullshit! I hardly have time to practise drumming but I do it mentally and get it right. There is a book about it called "With Winning In Mind". Written by olympic gold medalist shooter, Lanny Bassham

hXc
20th December 2005, 22:03
Gimme a dollar, I'll write down everything I know.

(BTW, thanks for marshalling on Sunday. You're a top bloke)

P.M me your address and I'll send it tomorrow.

Well someone has to make sure you're getting your wheelies and spreaders right!

hXc
20th December 2005, 22:05
Just wait till you get the L plate and then just go out and do it. To much reading will stuff the natural instinct. Your old man will give you the lines:hitcher: and fill in the gaps. You can come riding with Speights_bud and me. :weird: It will happen, but give it time. When you can, just go out and do it.:wavey:

Sorry Steve but I have to disagree with you. Theory is always good. Yes, I will a lot from actually doing it but theory will be good. I understand what you are trying to say but don't fully agree with it.

That's still over a month away and I don't have a bike to do it on yet. When it comes time and I have my Learners then, stuff the reading for a while and I'll be out and ready to ride with you and Pat anytime I can. But while I can't do anything, may as well read up.

hXc
20th December 2005, 22:06
You should take a look at:
Proficient Motorcycling (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1889540536/104-7398356-1671167?v=glance&n=283155)

I think it is a far more useful book for general road riding than Twist of the Wrist. Twist of the Wrist seems to be geared more towards racing.

You obviously don't race do you... Racing on the track gives you a lot of skills which you then transfer to the road

onearmedbandit
20th December 2005, 22:20
hXc, TOTW 1 deals with identifying track markers to improve your riding, ie very track based guide with little skills that are transferable to fast road riding. In fact that is exactly why Keith Code wrote TOTW 2 as he also agreed it was intended for the racer only.

hXc
20th December 2005, 22:23
hXc, TOTW 1 deals with identifying track markers to improve your riding, ie very track based guide with little skills that are transferable to fast road riding. In fact that is exactly why Keith Code wrote TOTW 2 as he also agreed it was intended for the racer only.

Oh well I have never seen this book. Have only heard good things about it. Is there anything else that you would recommend?

erik
20th December 2005, 22:25
You obviously don't race do you... Racing on the track gives you a lot of skills which you then transfer to the road
Sorry, I failed to read the bikes you owned. didn't realise you were after info related to racing/riding, I assumed you were a newbie looking for general road riding info before getting your first bike.
You're right that I don't race. But I still stand by what I said, I think that Proficient Motorcycling is a better book for general road riding info/skills than Twist of the Wrist. Since obviously that's not what you're after, ignore my suggestion.

hXc
20th December 2005, 22:28
Sorry, I failed to read the bikes you owned. didn't realise you were after info related to racing/riding, I assumed you were a newbie looking for general road riding info before getting your first bike.
You're right that I don't race. But I still stand by what I said, I think that Proficient Motorcycling is a better book for general road riding info/skills than Twist of the Wrist. Since obviously that's not what you're after, ignore my suggestion.

Hey hey...I wasn't meaning to offend you or anything but have never heard of Proficient Motorcycling. I didn't know that TOTW is for racing only. I am in the process of waiting till I'm 15 to get my L plate and I'm looking for anything to improve my track riding or help me with road riding. I have just heard quite good things about TOTW but I'll have a look at this Proficient Motorcycling book and see what it's like. Have you got it?

erik
20th December 2005, 22:43
Hey hey...I wasn't meaning to offend you or anything but have never heard of Proficient Motorcycling. I didn't know that TOTW is for racing only. I am in the process of waiting till I'm 15 to get my L plate and I'm looking for anything to improve my track riding or help me with road riding. I have just heard quite good things about TOTW but I'll have a look at this Proficient Motorcycling book and see what it's like. Have you got it?
No worries.
Sorry, I haven't got a copy of the book myself, I borrowed it from the local library.
I'm not sure how much of the riding skills in Proficient Motorcycling would be useful to you if you already race. But I'd guess the safety stuff to do with road placement and safer road riding lines etc might be worth a read if you can get your hands on a copy.

hXc
20th December 2005, 22:47
No worries.
Sorry, I haven't got a copy of the book myself, I borrowed it from the local library.
I'm not sure how much of the riding skills in Proficient Motorcycling would be useful to you if you already race. But I'd guess the safety stuff to do with road placement and safer road riding lines etc might be worth a read if you can get your hands on a copy.

I have only been racing for about 6 months. I think I saw you at Taupo. I was the young guy Marshalling on the blue bucket. RG50 frame with CT125 engine

Gixxer 4 ever
21st December 2005, 06:19
Sorry Gixxer but you are talking bollocks.
Enjoy!
Good on you. This is why so many new riders come off. You read and you go out and thrash it cos you know it all. You need to go out and ride to your ability and slowly get faster as your experience improves. Then you start to talk to others and read. So when you go around a corner and cross the white line you say it is good to know why you did it. At least when you hit the truck you know it is your own fault. I want the new rider to go around the corner and not cross the white line and say " shit that was close" Then ask or go looking for the answer. If a new rider has a head full of theory they will struggle to implement it. Practise practise practise. Start at a speed that works and work up from there.

tracyprier
21st December 2005, 08:33
Have a look here:

http://www.library.napier.govt.nz/index.php?cid=library/lib_aboutus

they have Proficient motorcycling as well as other motorcycling related titles.

Good place to start and it's free :)

Angry Puppy
21st December 2005, 18:46
Good on you. This is why so many new riders come off. You read and you go out and thrash it cos you know it all. You need to go out and ride to your ability and slowly get faster as your experience improves. Then you start to talk to others and read. So when you go around a corner and cross the white line you say it is good to know why you did it. At least when you hit the truck you know it is your own fault. I want the new rider to go around the corner and not cross the white line and say " shit that was close" Then ask or go looking for the answer. If a new rider has a head full of theory they will struggle to implement it. Practise practise practise. Start at a speed that works and work up from there.

More bollocks! Your experience doesn't need to improve, your skills do. If I wanted to improve my experience I'd go on a nice scenic tour! :sunny: If you want to improve your skills, go on an advanced rider training course and get it from the pro's. If you can't afford it, buy books and videos from the pro's. Personally I'd rather read about why we react the way we do before I go over the white line. If you learn your skills from you mates your knowledge will be serveraly diluted.

On a seperate note, yes Twist of the Wrist is aimed at track racing. Twist of the Wrist II is the road-goers version.

FB

Gixxer 4 ever
21st December 2005, 22:43
More bollocks! If you learn your skills from you mates your knowledge will be serveraly diluted.

But knowledge is no good with out practical experience. If you do not have application for the knowledge you will not retain the information. So you need to be riding to implement the knowledge you are learning.