PDA

View Full Version : Regulations for end cans

moggy
20th December 2005, 23:41
Hi, I haven't been round here for a while, been a little busy.

could some one point me in the right direction for the law regarding end cans for road use. We are moving over to New Zealand in about 6 months and were wondering whether to get a new one here or there (I sadly redesigned mine when I dropped it). But I don't really want to buy one now and then discovere I have to replace it later.

Mooch
21st December 2005, 00:57
Have a friend in NZ with an Arrows pipe on her SV , She doesn't seem to have an issue with getting warrants etc. We don't have a max DB set yet, but the Police can ticket noisy vehicles.
I've got a full Arrows system on my , have also had no issues with warrants.

Does anyone here know if it's different when your bike goes through the VIN process ?

moggy
21st December 2005, 01:38
thanks for that, it is the VIN thing that I am concerned about, as obviously it will have to pass all that as soon as we import it. I wasn't thinking about putting a race can on, it would be something that was legal in the UK

Mooch
21st December 2005, 02:04
A couple of links that maybe of use to you , Other members like Motu would have a better idea , but I'd say if you putting on a UK road legal system then you should be fine.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/44.html
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications/infosheets/infosheet-2-13-europe.html#lc
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/vehicle-ownership/warrant.html

Posh Tourer :P
21st December 2005, 03:37
VIN testing (COF) tends to be stricter on aftermarket exhausts than a WOF, it would have to comply with a NZ standard of some sort. Whether that is the same as the UK standards I am not sure.... If it looks standard however, you have a good chance of the tester not knowing what they are really looking at.

cowpoos
21st December 2005, 09:55
my TL was making 100.8db at idle with the twin race yoshi's....got WOF no worries never questioned about them....I had a cop tell me my bike sounded awesome one day....

Just chuck a race pipe on it...you'll be fine

Clockwork
21st December 2005, 16:04
May be safer to change it here (it could well be cheaper too).

Timetogo
22nd December 2005, 08:16
bought mine over from the UK last year with a full micron system and had no problem. Long as its not to noisy i wouldn't expect any porblem at all

terbang
22nd December 2005, 14:52
I Imported a bike from Ozzie last year and it had a horrendously noisey aftermarket pipe on it and it was vinned with no questions asked about the pipe.:Punk:

moggy
22nd December 2005, 21:57
thanks for all your replies, looks like it shouldnt be a problem whatever I pick.
Could someone point me in the direction of a good website in NZ so I can compare prices please.

Skyryder
23rd December 2005, 06:31
I Imported a bike from Ozzie last year and it had a horrendously noisey aftermarket pipe on it and it was vinned with no questions asked about the pipe.:Punk:

Saw something on TV the other night about boy racer noisy cars. Din't realy take much notice but 'sounds' like one of the councils is doing something about noisy cars. Anyone see this and know any details.

Skyryder

APPLE
23rd December 2005, 08:38
i woz stung 4 havin 2 loudda pipes?i had 2 brother pipes on my TL.dude said the manager told not 2 warrant the bike,i went off my nut 2 the manager man,so i said how do u tell harley owners 2 take there pipes off because there loud man?i tell yah i cudda knockd this guy out man?he says the goverments gettn hard on vehicle noise emmisions, and were the ones who are gettn in trouble?so i left him 2 it lost my 30bucks or so?and went 2another outfit, and they had no problem given a warrant.jus pisses me off that these people bitch at noisey bikes,and young fellas drive around in rotary cars that sound like shit and cant handel it?...jus warrant the dam bike?

vifferman
23rd December 2005, 08:52
Does anyone here know if it's different when your bike goes through the VIN process ?
Depends.
Kerry (@ Motohaus) puts a lot of bikes through for certification, and the guy is VERY tough. However, the lady at work and her husband had their HDs go through certification with virtually no checking at all! The guy went, "Nice bikes!" and issued the VINs, despite them both being equipped with VERY noisy Screamin' Beagle drag pipes.

Deano
23rd December 2005, 08:53
i woz stung 4 havin 2 loudda pipes?i had 2 brother pipes on my TL.dude said the manager told not 2 warrant the bike,i went off my nut 2 the manager man,so i said how do u tell harley owners 2 take there pipes off because there loud man?i tell yah i cudda knockd this guy out man?he says the goverments gettn hard on vehicle noise emmisions, and were the ones who are gettn in trouble?so i left him 2 it lost my 30bucks or so?and went 2another outfit, and they had no problem given a warrant.jus pisses me off that these people bitch at noisey bikes,and young fellas drive around in rotary cars that sound like shit and cant handel it?...jus warrant the dam bike?

jeez man, you shuldna bin able to go to any otha WOF cos theyr all linkt by puta these days man.

an i luv rotariees an wot does their handlin hav ta do wid noiiz ya egg

Deano
23rd December 2005, 08:59
Traffic Regulations 1976

Schedules
[[Schedule 1
r29(2)
Maximum noise output of new vehicles
1. In this Schedule,—
(a) The term “gross vehicle weight”, in relation to a motor vehicle, means the weight specified as the gross vehicle weight of the vehicle by the manufacturer thereof:
(b) The term “power output”, in relation to an engine, means the net power produced by the engine, measured in accordance with International Standard I.S.O. 1585.
2. When measured in accordance with test methods laid down in British Standard 3425 or in I.S.O. Recommendation 362, the maximum permitted noise level shall be—

Noise
Level
Vehicle Type dBA
Moped 77
Motor cycle having an engine capacity of 125 cm3 or less
Motor cycle having an engine capacity of more than 125 cm3
Motor vehicle (being a motorcar, van, or light truck) having a gross vehicle weight of 3500 kg or less
Motor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight of more than 3500 kg and having an engine with a power output of 150 kW or less

Motor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight of more than 3500 kg and having an engine with a power output of more than 150 kW

88.]]

Now I'm sure I've seen stamped into some standard cans, noise output of 93 dBA - perhaps this level was produced under different operating conditions but it begs the question are some standard bikes non-compliant ?

cowpoos
23rd December 2005, 09:31
Traffic Regulations 1976

Schedules
[[Schedule 1
r29(2)
Maximum noise output of new vehicles
1. In this Schedule,—
(a) The term “gross vehicle weight”, in relation to a motor vehicle, means the weight specified as the gross vehicle weight of the vehicle by the manufacturer thereof:
(b) The term “power output”, in relation to an engine, means the net power produced by the engine, measured in accordance with International Standard I.S.O. 1585.
2. When measured in accordance with test methods laid down in British Standard 3425 or in I.S.O. Recommendation 362, the maximum permitted noise level shall be—

Noise
Level
Vehicle Type dBA
Moped 77
Motor cycle having an engine capacity of 125 cm3 or less
Motor cycle having an engine capacity of more than 125 cm3
Motor vehicle (being a motorcar, van, or light truck) having a gross vehicle weight of 3500 kg or less
Motor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight of more than 3500 kg and having an engine with a power output of 150 kW or less

Motor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight of more than 3500 kg and having an engine with a power output of more than 150 kW

88.]]

Now I'm sure I've seen stamped into some standard cans, noise output of 93 dBA - perhaps this level was produced under different operating conditions but it begs the question are some standard bikes non-compliant ?

I think those are idling figures...the stamped figures on cans are measured at a certain RPM....

sAsLEX
23rd December 2005, 09:35
Traffic Regulations 1976

ummm yeah all well and good mate, BUT I think you will find this piece of clear law has been replaced by some wishsy washy grey type regulation

sAsLEX
23rd December 2005, 09:37
I think those are idling figures...the stamped figures on cans are measured at a certain RPM....

ummm wrong this

\states a very specific testing regime

see below from http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=886&postcount=16

THE ANSWER- GETTING IT
Bugger, put that last post as a new thread... oh well

To ascertain how this 86dBA is measured you need to follow ISO 362 (practically identical to BS 3425).
There are conditions over 6 pages with all the details but these are the guts of it

-measurements shall be made in a level open area with no reflecting items (buildings, boulders, fences etc) within 50m.
-There shall be a minimum of 20metres square of ashphalt or similar road surface (that has to comply with ISO 10844... I did say it wouldn't be simple!) with a further minimum 10m stretch at either end (at least 3m wide) prior to entering the 20x20 area.
-The microphone is 7.5m away from the centreline in the middle of the 20x20 area
-4 measurements are made per side .. ie vehicle does at least 8 passes
-vehicle must be warmed up first
-As the bike approaches the 20x20m area it must be doing 50km/hr in 2nd and/or 3rd gear (if 5 forward gears or more are fitted). The bike then accelerates hard across the 20m and then the throttle is closed as the rear of the bike passes the 20m line
-if the engine RPM's exceed the maximum net power point, the test is done only in 3rd gear, otherwise both 2nd and 3rd are used
-minimum of 4 consecutive measurements must be done and be within 2 dB

and it goes on and on... (incidentally I do realise I'm the only one interested at this stage!)

anyway... the reason I write all this is because the friendly man at LTSA mentioned that PIGS Ltd. have tried to prosecute some Harley owners with loud pipes. However, as is sadly oh-so-common in the field of acoustics, they didn't know their arse from their elbow and the cases got thrown because the cops didn't seem able to provide evidence as to what the law even was, let alone that the bikes were legitimately tested!
Apparently they tested them in warehouses in an attempt to get louder readings (I imagine they stood behind the bike and revved its arse off to!)

Fatjim
23rd December 2005, 09:57
From the LTSA "Summary of legislation".

Performance
4. An exhaust system must be effective and in good
working order.
5. Noise from an exhaust system must not be
noticeably and significantly louder than it would
have been when the vehicle was manufactured
with its original exhaust system.

I've had no issues, had coppers(whilst handing out speeding tickets) and WOF testers say my VTR with Scorpians (stamped with "Race use only") sound great.

I guess the key is "5" above and ISO test.

cowpoos
23rd December 2005, 10:03
ummm wrong this

\states a very specific testing regime

see below from http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=886&postcount=16

Well there you go....I'm glad I said "i think" :Oops:

Deano
23rd December 2005, 10:50
ummm yeah all well and good mate, BUT I think you will find this piece of clear law has been replaced by some wishsy washy grey type regulation

This was from supposedly updated on-line legislation so it should be current.

I think cow poos may be right - the reg's refer to the British Standard as the test method, but that doesn't mean the stamped dBA number on your can was tested under the same method and conditions, or is the test method stamped in there also ?

At the end of the day, I am not aware of anyone (WOF or the VIN inspectors) testing to the BS, so it seems all pretty subjective. Which, incidentally, is the specified method (under the Boy Racer Legislation - I think it is), where a Police Officer can issue a $150 fine for excessive noise.

sAsLEX
23rd December 2005, 10:59
This was from supposedly updated on-line legislation so it should be current.

At the end of the day, I am not aware of anyone (WOF or the VIN inspectors) testing to the BS, so it seems all pretty subjective. Which, incidentally, is the specified method (under the Boy Racer Legislation - I think it is), where a Police Officer can issue a $150 fine for excessive noise.

What fatjim posted is what they new regs are I think. They have done away with the standards listed in the 76 legislation and are now trying to invent their own, since they are all brilliant accoustic engineers.....yeah right. The Boy Racer legislation was written poorly as a knee jerk reaction to public outcry over boy racers and this shows.

I was pulled over in my cage once and the cop demanded I revved the shite out of my car so he could "test" its noiseyness. When I didnt rev it enough he wrenched my door open and slammed his foot on the pedal. Well my respect for the cunt just went through the roof then, so when he asked me what the current legislation was I qouted the 76 act as that was current at the time, pointed to my few day old WOF and went on my way.

Skyryder
24th December 2005, 06:58
Sometime ago I got talking to a cop about the difficulties of noise levels. The general guts of the conversation went along the lines of how to take the measurement; either at idle or withing an rpm rateing. He seemed to think that there will come a day when noise levels will become part of the WoF. He added that emission testing will in all probability be part of the exhaust system regime and the two may be bought in at the same time.

Skyryder

sAsLEX
24th December 2005, 10:06
Sometime ago I got talking to a cop about the difficulties of noise levels. The general guts of the conversation went along the lines of how to take the measurement; either at idle or withing an rpm rateing. He seemed to think that there will come a day when noise levels will become part of the WoF. He added that emission testing will in all probability be part of the exhaust system regime and the two may be bought in at the same time.

Skyryder

At which time I see alot more "race" bikes making there way to the open road devoid of number plates etc and also lacking flashing light induced brakes.

terbang
26th December 2005, 11:05
Got caught a couple of years back on the Sydney M5 doing around 140 K got a fine in the area of $3-400 (cant really remember the exact) and the rozzer inspected my pipe (marked as standard thank god) in the precess. Fair cop I reckon as I was a danger to myself and others and duly paid the fine. Riding up same or similar Sydney highways a bit later at a more sedate pace, I notice huge signs on the side stating that it was a $2000 fine for excessive noise..! Possibly aimed at truckies..?
Gets me thinking about what and who is really driving these rules? I speed and potentially kill it'll cost me a few hundred bucks and yet if I make heaps of noise and wake some people, interupt thier TV watching or scare thier cat its gonna cost me a couple of grand.

WINJA
26th December 2005, 11:19
thanks for all your replies, looks like it shouldnt be a problem whatever i pick.
could someone point me in the direction of a good website in nz so i can compare prices please.
get the pipe you want , then fit a removeable restriction to it

Sniper
26th December 2005, 12:27

WTF did you just try to say?