PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Fumes

SlashWylde
21st December 2005, 16:27
OK folks, here's a little anecdote I thought I might share with you all in the name of safety and longevity:

Ranzer and I left the Taupo track day last Sunday at about 15:00 to ride back to Auckland. It rained sporadically throughout the trip and shortly after leaving Taupo we ended up sitting behind a couple of 3 to 4 tonne lorries. Well these clunkers were a bit on the sooty side but I diddn't think much of it and since they were averaging over 90kph in the pouring rain I didn't have any real desire to pass them.

After a while I started to feel a bit drowsy and innatentive, but I put it down to the crappy sleep I got the night before in the motel bunk. The feeling kept getting worse and I thought "man, this isn't good. I should pull over or something" but doggedly kept on going.

Thankfully a passing lane opened up and they slowed down a bit which made it worth passing so Ranzer overtook them and I followed suit.

Well blow me down if in the next five minutes I diddn't freshen-up and get a clear head! "Shit!" I thought, it must have been the CO from the truck fumes putting me to sleep.

When we got to Tokoroa we stopped at a BP & I grabbed a cup of coffe to perk me up a bit then carried on, doing 1 hour runs, then stopping for 5 mins to stretch the legs.

It's quite scary now that I think about it. I guess we were behind those trucks for about 3/4 of an hour? My eyelids were fully closing and I was obviously so stupified that I diddn't realise what was happening and that I definately should have pulled over for a breather.

Just another trap to be wary of.

-SW

froggyfrenchman
21st December 2005, 16:43
Yup, thats a nasty trap alright. only ever got me once. Was raining real hard, so i was riding in the slipstream of the truck to stay dry (driver knew i was there) After bout 20 mins i was feeling sick and falling asleep!

SlashWylde
21st December 2005, 16:45
Oooh bugger! so it IS something to watch out for....

DemonWolf
21st December 2005, 17:18
Ìndeed.. Good advice SlashWylde.

When you are feeling drowsie, tired, or inatentive.. then you should pull over as soon as possible for a breather. It can creep up on you without you consciously knowing it.. which is why you should always know what the signs are..

SlowHand
21st December 2005, 17:55
After reading this, I am much enlightened. A public appology goes to all behind me at trackday lining up to hit the track. Didnt mean to affect your concentration. Except for you big bikes burgling us in the slow group, you deserve all the smoke my bike can shoot out. You know who you are. :shake: :moon:

T.W.R
21st December 2005, 19:01
yep thats a sure thing chewing your way to noddyland sitting behind a truck on a wet day, the CO & heavy moisture laden air combine to make a deadly mix.

Brett
3rd January 2006, 20:42
yep, been caught by this too, something to watch out for!

Pixie
16th January 2006, 23:46
Next time go back via poihipi rd and owairaka valley rd.
If you are particularly unlucky you might see a dozen other vehicles in the whole trip.

sunhuntin
21st January 2006, 19:08
was thinking about that yesterday...due to lack of power i got stuck behind trucks pretty much the whole way to and from palmerston nth. kept weaving slightly and stayed well back till i could pass.

MSTRS
21st January 2006, 19:25
Man, that is scary. Have never had it happen to me (at least as far as ICR). Will tuck that bit of advice away in the old subconscious. Thanks for posting it.

bugjuice
21st January 2006, 19:42
yeah, makes me feel sick. And cars that are burning up oil too..

In the wet, I really wouldn't want to be stuck behind a truck. Much rather be in the face of it, in the clear rain, instead of the road spray. Often over-exaggerates how hard it's actually raining

ZeroIndex
22nd January 2006, 22:43
thanks for that advice, I'm sure it will come in handy

Korea
26th January 2006, 03:17
Well, I haven't choked on fumes but I've been splattered by poos behind a cattle truck. Kind of smelly...

sunhuntin
8th February 2006, 18:45
actually noticed that at work today when it poured.....the petrol on the forecourt really started to make themselves known....i work next to an open window when im behind the till, so any fumes waft straight in....was the first time ive truly noticed that.

Motoracer
9th February 2006, 18:55
Once when I was driving my van, long distance, I forgot to put the batterie lid back on. This meant that a part of the engine bay was exposed to the interior. I did notice the fumes but didn't take much notice to it. As you said, after a while, I started feeling drowsy and before I knew it, I was coming close to falling asleep on the wheel.

After realising what had happened, I quickly opened the window and all of a sudden I was awake and fresh again!