PDA

View Full Version : Help for starting a scooter.

Ms Piggy
9th March 2004, 17:45
My friend has just bought (2nd hand) a Honda G-Rox scooter, it has 3 wheels & is an automatic. The guy she bought it off rode it up to her place, but the other w/e when I went up to give her a few riding pointers we couldn't get it started, when you switch the key on the ignition light doesn't even go on.

Does anyone know:
a) Is there a "kill" switch that needs to be flicked over & if so where is it?
b) How could we start it if the ignition light isn't even going on? I guess that may be a dead battery.
c) Is there some way we can juice the battery?

Possibly you have ascertained that I am in no way mechanically minded, so any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, my friend is a hard working student like myself and would like to use if for zipping to Uni & back.

Thanks Cathy :rockon:

Dave
11th March 2004, 09:06
The battery is probably flat and also you will probably need to put the brakes on to start ther engine.

riffer
11th March 2004, 09:24
Hi Cathy. If it's a 12v battery system, you can just use a normal car battery charger overnight. Make sure you disconnect the battery terminals from the battery though.

Oh, and check there's some water in the battery, although they could have a sealed battery which you can't do that with.

If you want to fill up the battery with water, make sure you use either distilled or rain water to fill it with.

aff-man
11th March 2004, 14:09
Yip and if push comes to shove you can always jump start it with your bike or something. As for the battery well the one thing i have found through multiple annoyances is that once a bike battery dies it tend to not hold as much charge/go dead really quickly.

bondagebunny
11th March 2004, 16:17
My friend has just bought (2nd hand) a Honda G-Rox scooter, it has 3 wheels & is an automatic. The guy she bought it off rode it up to her place, but the other w/e when I went up to give her a few riding pointers we couldn't get it started, when you switch the key on the ignition light doesn't even go on.

Does anyone know:
a) Is there a "kill" switch that needs to be flicked over & if so where is it?
b) How could we start it if the ignition light isn't even going on? I guess that may be a dead battery.

Possibly you have ascertained that I am in no way mechanically minded, so any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, my friend is a hard working student like myself and would like to use if for zipping to Uni & back.

Thanks Cathy :rockon:

require the either of the brakes to be applied before they will start on some early honda Autos it is specific to the rear brake - so key on apply rear brake an push starter.
failing that why not ring the guy you brought it off and see if there is a sequence to starting before you start playig around with it.

Motu
11th March 2004, 17:13
Yep,bondagebunny is right on it there,some also have a start and run position,they won't start in run,also the 3 wheeler may have to be locked to start.If it is a dud battery it still should kickstart,but remember to pull on the brakes before trying.

Ms Piggy
12th March 2004, 11:31
Thanks for the info guys & guyesses :2thumbsup I've passed it on.

Apparently the guy who sold it to her is coming over this weekend so hopefully they'll sort it out.

georgedubyabush
12th March 2004, 20:59
Man, i've got to remember that trick. Sell a girl a dud bike so she keeps inviting me over.

Ms Piggy
13th March 2004, 06:19
Man, i've got to remember that trick. Sell a girl a dud bike so she keeps inviting me over.

Nah I don't think that's the way to impress us ladies georgedubyabush...we're not impressed by duds in any way, shape or form. :thud:

Ms Piggy
16th March 2004, 12:31
Thanks for the advice guys & gals, she got it going on the w/e. Yep - flat battery & it has a little kick start option, so all good. :2thumbsup