PDA

View Full Version : evenin' all

El Dopa
9th March 2004, 20:33
Hi all,

I’ve been lurking on the edges of this forum for a while, checking you all out and getting the benefit of your expert opinions. You seem like a nice bunch of people, so I thought I’d take the plunge and sign up (nothing like starting with a few compliments to get everyone onside eh?)

So, myself briefly.

I’ve always loved the look and sound of bikes. Something about hot oil and the smell of burning rubber?...but maybe that’s something I should be saving for another forum.

Despite this, I hadn’t got round to actually getting on one until a week or so ago, when I did the basic handling skills, so now I’m street legal.

Which brings me on to my first question: Having wobbled round a few cones in a car park, and showed the instructor I can find first gear (but no requirement to get into second, third etc and back down again), I can now legally drive on the motorway?! Does anyone know anywhere I can get a bit more training quicksmart without necessarily owning my own bike? (I’m slowly acquiring kit, but I’m still looking at different bikes, and not being able to take one for a test ride with any confidence cramps my style a bit).

I’ve had 15+ years of driving and cycling on the roads, so I know what a bunch of idiots tin-tops can be, and I don’t intend to let myself loose on the busier roads without some decent safety gear and a lot of practice.

To finish up, I’d better let you know that not only am I a JAFFA but choice, but a pom by birth (and by revealing this, a masochist by disposition?). In order to stop this thread getting clogged, please send jokes and insults to the e-mail I’ve set up ‘specially for this purpose: yeahyeahveryfunny@hearditallbefore.com

I’ll only be able to post every couple of days, so don’t get offended if you don’t get an instant reply. I’ve got some strong opinions on the hot topics of the day (speeding, safety gear, bikes in bus lanes), but I’ll save them for the relevant threads.

Mind 'ow yer go now.

Ms Piggy
9th March 2004, 20:50
Hey El Dopa,

Everyone is welcome here...even a pommy Aucklander :bleh:

You'll meet some cool people & get lotsa good advice, I'm a fairly new rider too and have found this place a great source of info & handy tips. :niceone:

What sorta bike you thinking of getting?

wari
10th March 2004, 07:09
howdy el' ... good on ya for joining up mate and being honest about your pomjaffery origins :thud:

I've got an old xs400 which is slow and easy to ride if you wanna use it to get your skills up a bit ... not legal for you I know and maybe I shouldn't be offering ... :eyepoke:

... But I'm out west and there's some secluded roads nearby if you want to risk it and you dont get any better offers.

:wavey: :ride:

El Dopa
10th March 2004, 16:51
Hey El Dopa,

Everyone is welcome here...even a pommy Aucklander :bleh:

You'll meet some cool people & get lotsa good advice, I'm a fairly new rider too and have found this place a great source of info & handy tips. :niceone:

What sorta bike you thinking of getting?

Thanks Celtic,

What sort of bike? Short answer, dunno. I know what I wanna get (soon, my precious, soon), but what to get while i'm riding out my probie period? Well a 250, natch, but I don't know what yet. It'll probably depend on what I can afford

El Dopa
10th March 2004, 16:55
howdy el' ... good on ya for joining up mate and being honest about your pomjaffery origins :thud:

I've got an old xs400 which is slow and easy to ride if you wanna use it to get your skills up a bit ... not legal for you I know and maybe I shouldn't be offering ... :eyepoke:

... But I'm out west and there's some secluded roads nearby if you want to risk it and you dont get any better offers.

:wavey: :ride:

Cheers mate, that's a more than generous offer! But I'll leave it for the moment until I'm a bit more competent, and less likely to end up sliding on my arse along the gravel.....Also, the older I get, the more I have to lose by getting my collar felt, so something 'not strictly legal' may not be a good idea quite yet! But thanks again, 'preciate it.

aff-man
10th March 2004, 17:13
Howdy. Best way to learn i reckon is to go riding with a mate and stop now and again get tips and asses what you are screwing up on :niceone: have fun

MD
10th March 2004, 17:52
Welcome aboard. I just discovered this site a few weeks ago myself. Well done on coming out with your Jaffa-Brit heritage, clearly you've got balls and therefore should be riding a motorbike.
If you're looking to buy a new bike to start off on, check out the Korean immigrants fresh to our shores -Hyosung Comet 250 V twin. Before I saw one this week I would have abused the hell out of anyone suggesting a Korean bike or laughed myself into a coma. But hey, Motorad in Wellington have a 250 $5,995 and 650 v twin for $8990. Really smart looking and appear well made. Read a couple of favourable mag reviews too. A dirk bike is an easy thing to come to grips with as a learner as well. That way you learn to fall off with style.
Mark D

El Dopa
11th March 2004, 20:08
Howdy. Best way to learn i reckon is to go riding with a mate and stop now and again get tips and asses what you are screwing up on :niceone: have fun

Thanks. How's the zxr250 working out for you?

El Dopa
11th March 2004, 20:09
Welcome aboard. I just discovered this site a few weeks ago myself. Well done on coming out with your Jaffa-Brit heritage, clearly you've got balls and therefore should be riding a motorbike.
If you're looking to buy a new bike to start off on, check out the Korean immigrants fresh to our shores -Hyosung Comet 250 V twin. Before I saw one this week I would have abused the hell out of anyone suggesting a Korean bike or laughed myself into a coma. But hey, Motorad in Wellington have a 250 $5,995 and 650 v twin for $8990. Really smart looking and appear well made. Read a couple of favourable mag reviews too. A dirk bike is an easy thing to come to grips with as a learner as well. That way you learn to fall off with style.
Mark D

Thanks for the comment on my family jewels, they were there last time I checked....

I'll check out the two korean bikes as well. Thanks for the tip.

Holy Roller
11th March 2004, 20:20
I'll check out the two korean bikes as well.

They are certainly in the right price range BRM had a favorable review of them

Coldkiwi
12th March 2004, 10:38
i have to agree on the comets looks anyway. One parks at Auckland Uni as I go past and its one of the smartest looking bikes there

El Dopa
12th March 2004, 21:20
Had a look at the 250. Bikepoint Australia give it a good review. Looks a lot like the Honda CB250 Hornet, but about the same price for a new one as a 2nd hand Honda.

So well worth considering, if the bank balance'll stand it.