PDA

View Full Version : this advise might save your life

Quasievil
23rd December 2005, 13:56
For many years Ive got into the habit of approaching traffic light controlled intersections carefully and I always assume someone is doing a runner, if the light is red and I need to pull up to a stop I always move into the centre, or on the white line either side of my lane (usually to the right) I do this just in case someone doesnt see the light as red and goes straight through the intersection.
This is a practice I always thought was wise and a good way to increase my safety level, Ive never actually benefited from this .......... until today
I came up to a light which was red in the main street of Hamilton at Lunch time the traffic was heavy with Xmas shoppers, I came to a stop in the middle of the two lanes as I have always done, within an instant here is this young FUCK in a boy racer honda civic on my left whizzing past me and the other stopped car to my right he just missed me, he went right through the intersection and pulled up quickly to avoid hitting cars on the other side of the intersection!!
(Ive posted before that im a bit of a aggro prick when it comes to my safety being comprimised by a idiot) the light turned green I rode up to his window (he was stuck in traffic) and gave him an absolute earful his defense was the light was he thought the light was orange(despite two others had stopped at the light), I bollocked him because HE WAS TEXTING !!!! I suggested to him that he nearly killed me and his reaction to this comment was not suitable, so you know wat I did, I reached into his car turned his car off pulled out the keys and biffed them towards the footpath !! he was stunned :gob: he didnt know what the fuck to do with a aggro biker at his window (kinda funny now)

So I thought I would share my little bit of riding safety advice with you all and I hope that you adopt it into your own riding style....just in case !!!

duckman
23rd December 2005, 13:59
Ahahahahahaaaa- The key toss!! absolutely brillaint.

Nice work Bret. :niceone:

Riff Raff
23rd December 2005, 14:04
Brilliant Quasi - wish I'd been a fly on the wall for that exchange.

ManDownUnder
23rd December 2005, 14:05
Good move mate. A bollocking won't do him any harm - and excepting the fact it would inconvenience other drivers, it's a shame there were no drains handy to receive those keys...

rc_36_rider
23rd December 2005, 14:11
good on yah i always split my lanes so im in your boat and i also get fucked off with cages the ammount ive chased down a given a them abusive advice on how to avoid me attacking them just isnt funny the thing i hate the most is when your passing slow moving traffic still on you side of the road and sum fucker coming the wrong way swervs at you or the cage your passing moves quickly to the right.jeloucy they cant avoid it:argh:

T.W.R
23rd December 2005, 14:12
Brilliant Quasi!!!:killingme :killingme bet the little prick did some heavy braking in his undies :lol: :lol:

skelstar
23rd December 2005, 14:17
Nice one. Did you manage to do this from the seat of your bike or did you park it up? :niceone:

crashe
23rd December 2005, 14:37
Good onya mate..... well done.
Hope he had a long hunt for his keys... and then hopefully a cop comes along and he had to explain it to a cop as to why he is parked where he is....

Last night I was going around a roundabout and this pratt went straight throu without even looking or indicating... cos this pratt just about took me out... missed me by an inch.

So I followed him and pulled up beside him when we came to a set of lights at Henderson and made him wind down the passenger window (no room on the other side as he was right on the white line) and I bollocked this geezer out as well...

He said he "didnt see me"... like WTF.... I had my lights on and it was night time. I told him to open up his farking eyes and to farking look, oh and to use his farking indicators as it is the farking law to use the farking indicators.... I told the farker to go and sit the NZ license as well... cos I reckon he was on a international license.

I do believe that he got the message.... cos next time.....grrrrrrrrrrrr.

SPman
23rd December 2005, 15:01
So - anyone know who the dude was that got taken out by a car in Onslow Rd, Mt Eden yesterday?
Chippy I was talking too said this asian lady dithered and dillied, then pulled straight out into the path of an approaching bike- he said it was a 600! Also said the bike was not going very fast on the wet road!
Apparently a broken collarbone to tide this guy over for Xmas
Good on ya Brett

Quasievil
23rd December 2005, 15:15
Nice one. Did you manage to do this from the seat of your bike or did you park it up? :niceone:

From my bike seat, it was tricky though as I had to use my left hand but he just watched me do it I think he was a bit stunned. But sheesh it was clser than a really clode thing I tell ya fuck I could be dead or in Hospital for a long time, he would have been doing 60kmph.

skelstar
23rd December 2005, 15:23
From my bike seat, it was tricky though as I had to use my left hand but he just watched me do it I think he was a bit stunned. But sheesh it was clser than a really clode thing I tell ya fuck I could be dead or in Hospital for a long time, he would have been doing 60kmph.

Id love to know I could do that kinda thing, but Im a lover not a fighter (and a little bit chicken). Was cycling in a REAL foul mood one day and watched a guy pull out and hit me. MAN I nutted off.

He said I should be on the road, not the footpath...IM ON A F*CKEN CYCLE LANE YOU *&^%*$!!!....there were signs everywhere.

I told him "give up the park life mate, get some exercise!" (very funny later). Very cathartic.

Waylander
23rd December 2005, 15:24
So that was you. Was on the footpath in the general direction you threw the keys in. Saw it happen and almost fell over laughing. Had some one do something similar on the small bridge off River road that takes you to Victoria after the Y-split with Ulister or Ulster or whatever that one is called. He cut me off at the road about when I had right of way and was in fact just over half the bike in front of him. His keys are now at the bottom of the Waikato.

Hitcher
23rd December 2005, 15:38
Good on you Quasi. You are a Legend.

MidnightMike
23rd December 2005, 15:38
Quasi your a farkin legend. That guy would have looked like a complete dick in the middle of that intersection:rofl:

flash
23rd December 2005, 15:51
shit, ive gota start parking near the white line at the lights, and look in my mirrors (never do it). i wish i was there to see that though. im surprised the guy didnt stop you, if i were him, i would of atleast grabed your hand or pushed you away,WHAT A DIP SHIT!!!!

good on ya quazi ;)

Gremlin
23rd December 2005, 16:42
Good onya Bret, I've had cars just miss me when I was on the bicycles as they roared past, so I can get a feeling of how lucky and amazed you must feel.

Had cars do that to me in the lane next to me (just randomly go through without looking, stopping or anything while I waited) and I felt bloody lucky to be in another lane.

Might consider doing as you do, especially as the silly season is in full swing.

Wish somebody had caught that on camera, very well done, hope it does something about the moron :weird:

Leong
23rd December 2005, 18:23
In my only 3 months of riding I've had brakes screech behind me twice!

Last time was last Friday, lights went amber when I was about 3 seconds from the lights, so I came to an "easy" stop, just as the lights go red. Van behind me screeches to a halt swerving slightly to the left, but stopping just behind me. I was to the right of the right wheel track. I looked back and he hung his head in shame, and shook his head.

So I'll be taking your advice and go further to the edge of the lane, and where possible ride through the amber rather than make a sudden stop.

Big Chim
23rd December 2005, 18:31
QuasiEvil - Keeping our roads safe since .......... just the other day. Onya mate on taking that one into your own hands, more of those little pricks need that done.

Very much appreciated

2much
23rd December 2005, 18:38
Hahaha nice one Bret, and well done with the keys, a much better idea than hitting him or ripping his wing mirror off as I would've thought to do.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd December 2005, 18:46
Good effort. You should have punched him really hard just underneath his ear as well.

what the FUCK is it with fuckwits texting while driving. I nearly got taken out the other day by a silly bint doing exactly that. she was extremely fortunate that I was on my pushbike and the light was green, giving her time to get thru. I was fucking steaming I tell you....

grrrrr

still, tis the season to be jolly and all.

frickin weather aint helping though.

TonyB
23rd December 2005, 19:02
Well done Quasi, top effort!!
If an observant Volvo (or was it a Mercedes?) driver hadn't had his wits about him many years ago my wife would definitely be dead and probably me too. A truck coming off a 100k zone didn't stop or slow for a red light- total brake failure or perhaps brain fade. He came through the red light a couple of seconds after ours turned green, doing probably 80k +. If we hadn't had the Volvo in front of us stopping me from going I would have definitely pulled out, and as we were turning to go in the same direction as the truck he would have had no option but to plow into us....

sunhuntin
23rd December 2005, 21:19
onya quasi....woulda been an idea to maybe take his phone too....stop him from txting for a while. i dunno how people can do that and drive at the same time. tried that on my bicycle once years ago....spent most of the time trying to not drop the phone and stop from falling over. absolutly nuts. glad that you are ok though....that coulda been real nasty. must have amused a few passersby and lit up their day for a while.

when im coming up to lights i usually check the mirrors and tap the brakes once or twice, mainly to slow up some in case they change on me. if they are red when i get there, ill change down and ride real slow up to them, trying to time it so i get there as they go green. doesnt often work, but nevermind.

skidMark
23rd December 2005, 21:31
mate glad to hear your ok... but that is fucking brilliant although i wouldve probably gone one better....grab his keys then dissapear lol....then drop them off at the cop shop before he can report it..... i found these on the ground somebody must have dropped them....or keep them lol

mmm but then charges arnt good if he has your plate....but if you take off fast enough he wouldnt have been able to read it lol

it pisses me off people don't watch the road....

"Car accidents only happen because those people have never ridden a motorcycle, so they don't concentrate on the road" - me...just now

Ixion
23rd December 2005, 21:58
I collared keys off idiots a few times. Generally if you just reach through and pull 'em out the driver doesn't have time to stop you. Tossed 'em away mostly, and left them at the cop shop once, with an explanation of why (though that time I was pretty sure the driver was drunk not just stupid)

cowpoos
23rd December 2005, 22:36
For many years Ive got into the habit of approaching traffic light controlled intersections carefully and I always assume someone is doing a runner, if the light is red and I need to pull up to a stop I always move into the centre, or on the white line either side of my lane (usually to the right) I do this just in case someone doesnt see the light as red and goes straight through the intersection.
This is a practice I always thought was wise and a good way to increase my safety level, Ive never actually benefited from this .......... until today
I came up to a light which was red in the main street of Hamilton at Lunch time the traffic was heavy with Xmas shoppers, I came to a stop in the middle of the two lanes as I have always done, within an instant here is this young FUCK in a boy racer honda civic on my left whizzing past me and the other stopped car to my right he just missed me, he went right through the intersection and pulled up quickly to avoid hitting cars on the other side of the intersection!!
(Ive posted before that im a bit of a aggro prick when it comes to my safety being comprimised by a idiot) the light turned green I rode up to his window (he was stuck in traffic) and gave him an absolute earful his defense was the light was he thought the light was orange(despite two others had stopped at the light), I bollocked him because HE WAS TEXTING !!!! I suggested to him that he nearly killed me and his reaction to this comment was not suitable, so you know wat I did, I reached into his car turned his car off pulled out the keys and biffed them towards the footpath !! he was stunned :gob: he didnt know what the fuck to do with a aggro biker at his window (kinda funny now)

So I thought I would share my little bit of riding safety advice with you all and I hope that you adopt it into your own riding style....just in case !!!

I did almost the same thing...about 3-4yrs ago..I was passing a couple of cars along the takapau plains....and when I went to pull in some smart arse with all his mate blocked me on poupose from pulling in...they were even lughing at me...so I slamed on the anchors [I was in my cage]...and pulled in behind the last car....anyway...followed that same line of traffic into waipukarau....and saw him turn into the mobil station...so I did to!!!
he pulled up to the pump...I parked and walk straight over to him...grab his keys before he hopped out of his car and threw them over the back of the old wrightsons building....[has barbed wire along the top fence even....lol...]
and he just said what the f**k u do that for....[in a stupid imbreed voice]...i relpied because I thought it was funny....and walked away hearing all the abuse from his mates in the car...

the end

kro
23rd December 2005, 22:38
I salute thee sir, your actions hopefully made an impression on the young lad.
Nice to see people with the kahuna's to say something about shit driving.

My brother had a similar thing happen to him a few months back, but he took the yound lady's cell phone, and biffed it into the hedge on the side of the road.
I laughed lots, good thread Quasi.

erik
24th December 2005, 08:49
...if the light is red and I need to pull up to a stop I always move into the centre, or on the white line either side of my lane (usually to the right) I do this just in case someone doesnt see the light as red and goes straight through the intersection....
In my opinion, staying to the side of the lane at the lights in this manner is pretty much inviting people to pass you, like the guy in the honda civic did.
It is similar to riding along on the far left side of your lane.
The driver was clearly in the wrong, he shouldn't have gone through the light.
The question is, did he see you and decide he could squeeze past, or did he fail to see you and just carried on through the intersection unaware that you were there?
Staying to the side of the lane only helped if the guy passed you because he failed to see you.

yungatart
24th December 2005, 09:08
Truly a Mastercard moment-PRICELESS!

raster
24th December 2005, 09:08
I always pull up to one side, especially on the motorway.

Qman
24th December 2005, 12:30
mate
What is it with Hamiltonians and traffic lights

Its not only cars, I saw an asian woman run a red light on a push bike no less two weeks ago ended up on a bonnet. she said she didnt she the lights.

Zapf
24th December 2005, 15:36
just wondering... was this done with you still on or off the bike? the part when you reached in and went for the keys

Quasievil
24th December 2005, 15:40
just wondering... was this done with you still on or off the bike? the part when you reached in and went for the keys

I was on my bike mate reached in with my left arm

inlinefour
25th December 2005, 19:47
Will definitely be a go if it ever happens in the naki.:niceone:

ducatilover
1st January 2006, 18:46
i have been hit from behind at the lights in palmy by a young [and very sexauly apealing:tugger: ] stupid bitch.

so if you are at the lights the best thing to do is keep an eye on your mirrors, cos i did and it made my life a wee bit longer:Punk:

danb
1st January 2006, 20:57
Haha good job quasi.... :first:

sugilite
1st January 2006, 21:04
A classic response, good one!
Reminds me of the only time I ever saw my father lose it.....ever!
He had been having the worse day, then some idiot backs out of his drive and rams our trailer, said idiot was very drunk.
My father got out the car, lent in his window, turned the car off, snapped the key in the ignition, then threw the rest away.
Drunk got out of his car and started swinging. Now, I'd always wondered what would happen if my father hit someone, the man had large pork sausages for fingers, well that day I found out, one shot to the kisser and the guys face seemed to cave in as he dropped to the ground.
My father got back into the car, gave me a serene smile and told me he felt much better and off we went!