PDA

View Full Version : Replacing CDI

MrMelon
10th March 2004, 08:39
Would I be able to replace the CDI unit in my tzr250r with one from the same year tzr250sp without blowing shit up? Or would I need to do carbs and all the other SP bits before it'd work?

I've heard the R model retards the timing in 5th and 6 gear, where the SP doesn't, and i assume it'd be all set through the CDI.

bungbung
10th March 2004, 09:03
are you saying tzr250r = retarded? :Pokey:

MrMelon
10th March 2004, 09:49
oi! Watch it! :p

Looks like the CDI was thinking about getting is the same as the one I already have, so I think I'll flag that idea :(

riffer
10th March 2004, 09:54
Surely the 'r' stands for riiiiiing-ding-ding-ding-ding?

Sounds like more net surfing is in order!

Why do you want to go faster? Isn't that thing quick enough now?

MrMelon
10th March 2004, 09:58
riiiiiing-ding-ding-ding-ding is right :D

I probably shouldnt bother spending money making it any faster, it can still scare me as it is now :D Might just wait a few months till I get my full so I can get a 600 or something.

Just saw a cheap CDI for it on trademe, but it's not an SP one.
Loads of other SP bits for sale on there tho :(

Dave
11th March 2004, 08:59
Could easily check-get a timing light with advance built in, Mark TDC on the end of the crank. Put the bike up on a rear stand and run it up in 1st,2nd,3rd,etc. up to top gear and then you'll know if it has a different advance curve in eack gear.
the other thing is that to change the timing for each gear, it would need a gear position indicator, which would be a switch on the side of the gearbox near (or opposite) to where the shifter goes in.if there is no wiring going to such a switch, then it can't have one.