PDA

View Full Version : Flag colors for trackday.

FROSTY
23rd December 2005, 23:36
To help with the next trackday a few suggestions are being mulled over.
One is choice of colors for the flags.
There are two reasons for flags being waved--end of session and if someone has crashed.
One argument is that a red flag is waved at all points is all thats needed-
the track needs to be cleared no matter what so crash or session end--same deal
Another is red flags waved for crashes to warn riders to slow down/ride with caution and a chequred flag waved at every flag point for end of session.
The third option was red flags for crashes. A chequred flag at start /finish point and yellow flags waved everywhere else -very much in line with race practices.
Feedback please folks

boomer
23rd December 2005, 23:49
Frosty, i'd say you need to warn people seperately of a crash so they slow down; People still fang round teh track if they think theyre comin into pitt and teh crash maybe just ahead;

Posh Tourer :P
24th December 2005, 03:05
I voted the last option, but maybe the second would be better if you are worried about overloading people with info on their first trackday...

But I dont know cos I´ve never been on a track.....

MSTRS
24th December 2005, 08:25
'scottabe op4. Red is DANGER, yellow is CAUTION, checkered is FINISH

Kickaha
24th December 2005, 08:29
Why dont you just use the same flags and procedures as at a proper race day?

ajturbo
24th December 2005, 08:36
oooo i like the purple ones.... and and ummm maybe an orange one with round dots on it...

and how about one that stops the rain? yer thats it !!

and one that when you wave it, the riders go faster!!! (think that would be a red one??:spudwhat: )

:moon: :moon: :moon:

FROSTY
24th December 2005, 08:55
Why dont you just use the same flags and procedures as at a proper race day?
Thats exactly the idea Kick but that I feel would be OTT for a newbee not familiar with even being on the track let alone knowing flags
as posh said I also dont wanna overload newbees or less experienced riders with info . Im trying to find a balance between -leading to actually race meeting and a total newbee

Mental Trousers
24th December 2005, 12:49
For a track day I reckon you really only need 2 flags. A red to indicate that everyone is to get off the track right now and reassemble at the pit exit to continue the session when safe, and a chequered to indicate end of session. Anything else is in danger of the ummm wtf is that flag for?? Oh well, nevermind I'll ignore it problem.

After all, the main problem I saw with the flags was people not knowing if the session was over or if there was someone down.

2much
24th December 2005, 13:19
Makes sense to stick with normal race practices, and it ain't that hard to figure out.

Cleve
26th December 2005, 08:32
If people can't cope with 3 flags then they shouldn't be on the bloody track!

ManDownUnder
26th December 2005, 15:39
Thats exactly the idea Kick but that I feel would be OTT for a newbee not familiar with even being on the track let alone knowing flags
as posh said I also dont wanna overload newbees or less experienced riders with info . Im trying to find a balance between -leading to actually race meeting and a total newbee

IMHO - I'd say go the whole hog - make the newbies learn the right way from the get go.

I know naught about this - but my preference would be to learn it right first time.

quickbuck
26th December 2005, 20:22
Use all the flags as they are on a real race day. Teach the riders correctly from the get go. The good thing about tracks (as you know) is you don't have to concentrate about things like on coming traffic, children, slow drivers, animals.... My point is, all they are learning is the track, the way their bike performs on the track, and all things associated with riding with others in close proximity. May as well throw the flags in there too. They are not as hard to work out as traffic signs are. I hope everybody enjoys the track day.

FROSTY
6th January 2006, 14:20
Thanks a million for the feedback folks -Im general vote is to make it alighned with racing rules.
The option Im going for is
Crash/major incident/dangerous riding --red flag waved at all points of the track.
riders to slow down and leave the track via pits exit--reform on pits exit.
Yellow flag waved on 1 corner--minor incident, procede with caution on that corner only -rest of track continue as per normal.
Chequred flag waved on designated point (start line) also yellow flags held out stationary on every corner -end of session