PDA

View Full Version : riding with a cast

kasper
10th March 2004, 08:57
Hi there i am going in on monday to have my cast changed for the 6 week one.

I am hoping to get it shaped so that i can ride motorbikes with the cast on.

any sugestions on how to have the cast shaped so that i can ride.

info
cast is on the right arm, throtle arm

thumb is broken so cant be moved.

motorbike mostlikely to ride is susuki gsxr 250

one of my ideas was to have the hand angled up so. with most of the palm exposed so that i can wrap my fingers around the handle grips.

(apologies for speling having to go online at tech)

James Deuce
10th March 2004, 09:00
I wouldn't even think about it if I were you. There would be insurance issues (i.e. you'd get NONE riding with the cast on), and I am sure that police would take a really dim view of you riding with cast on. You could be potentially charged dangerous driving, as you may not (in the opinion of the policeman) have sufficient control over your vehicle.

White trash
10th March 2004, 09:28
I got black flagged at Manfield once on a fun day for going too fast for my "group" on a friends FZR250. When I came into the pits, the guy came to tell me off then REALLY blew a fuse when he saw I had a cast on my right arm and no glove.

Ah the hand's fucked anyway! :finger:

kasper
10th March 2004, 09:37
how did you have your cast shaped white trash?

Lou Girardin
10th March 2004, 09:40

I admire your singlemindedness.
Lou

SPman
10th March 2004, 09:47
LouWell hell, guys race with broken hands,ankles, etc. and riders with one arm are not uncommon!

Solarwind
10th March 2004, 09:47
Lou

This is just Kasper being Kasper :Punk:

James Deuce
10th March 2004, 09:52
Well hell, guys race with broken hands,ankles, etc. and riders with one arm are not uncommon!

Yup, but having gone into this extensively in the past due to various bits being bound up in plaster, external fixation, and braces, the insurance companies and the police are both very much against it. Racing isn't road conditions, and if you are one armed, and rehabilitated, and the insurance company agrees to insure you - well that's a different story in their eyes altogether.

White trash
10th March 2004, 09:55

Um......it wasn't. Broken scaphoid though so they set it at a bloody wierd angle anyway!

IMHO you should wait though mate. My wrist is absolutely fucked now, mostly because I didn't follow doctors recomendations. In a few years time I'll suffer chronic arthritus. 6 weeks aint so long to wait, man.

riffer
10th March 2004, 10:03
[QUOTE=White trash]you should wait though mate.[QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. When I was 17 I totalled my GP125 avoiding some drunks in a Holden Ute coming the wrong way down the road. Did a superman off a traffic island and into a fence.

Had a neck injury but continued riding etc regardless of doctor's instructions.

Anyway now I'm in my late 30s I've now got a funny neck that never really stops hurting - I can put up with it easily enough but I sometimes wonder if it would be here if I'd done what I was told at the time...

ditto the lumps on my rib bones, the wrist which goes click, click and the reconstructed knee which hurts whenever the weather get wet etc...

anyway, my point - it's not now these things stuff you up - its in your 30s and on. Who knows how I'm gonna feel at 60 - not looking forward to it. :shit:

speedpro
10th March 2004, 10:08
Um......it wasn't. Broken scaphoid though so they set it at a bloody wierd angle anyway!

IMHO you should wait though mate. My wrist is absolutely fucked now, mostly because I didn't follow doctors recomendations. In a few years time I'll suffer chronic arthritus. 6 weeks aint so long to wait, man.
Been there done that. My right wrist hurts most days for most of the day and doesn't like being knocked. I broke it, it got better,it was just fine, now it's a problem - 20 years later.

Wenier
10th March 2004, 12:30
hold off dude a cop would have a field day on ya if they saw that. And being the police i reckon ud find urself looking at some kind of driving charge, reckless or carless or dangerous. Either way 6weeks really aint that long jus think how quick the bike will feel when u finally get to ride it again :)

bungbung
10th March 2004, 13:35
reckless or carless or dangerous

carless driving for sure...

Coldkiwi
10th March 2004, 22:07
kasper, had you thought about how you are going to corner if the cast is past your elbow?? you kinda need to change the effective length of your arms to move the bars and if the cast is that high, you're fresh out of luck!

just wait man, its not as bad as rooting it long term

bluninja
10th March 2004, 22:16
Kasper, broke the base of my thumb in 3 places 18 months ago and it's just a no no. The base of your thumb is pressed against the bars when you're changing direction and it's the brace for pulling in the brake. So apart from being unable to roll your wrist for throttle on and off, having your thumb poking sideways along the bar, not being able to wear gloves or get a jacket over your arm, having difficulty steering and braking go for it. :laugh:

BTW I broke my thumb on a practice day and tried out the plaster the next day to see if I could race......needless to say it wouldn't work for me.....good luck with the physio and the pain of riding once the plaster comes off...6 weeks isn't bad.....I was nearly 4 months.

TTFN

LB
11th March 2004, 05:01
Hi Bluninja - good to hear you're safe and sound. :Offtopic:

RiderInBlack
11th March 2004, 06:12
Hi Kaspers. I'd listen to these guys. They have had years of experence (some of it from not doing as they were advised). Spend the time getting all the things you need to get that little GSXR250 right (I've seen it and it needs the work). You'll end up with a wrist better healed and a awesome little bike to ride on (it's alot fast than the one you trashed, which could have also used a little attention to be safer).

My brother broke both of his wrists hitting a powerpole:doh: (he reckon that he was looking to see if the pipes were smoking, we reckon it was due to checking out the babies on the side of the road:msn-wink: ). His right wrist needed a bone graft later as it had not healed well (more time off the bike:doh: ).

PS: it might be a good thing the lay off the handcuffs as well:msn-wink: .

kasper
11th March 2004, 07:26
cold kiwi the cast isnt that high it just goes along my fore arm.

I have also talked to the faacture clinic and they said the riding would be fine but the vibrations would cause the bones to not heal. so it is either ride the bike but not heal or not ride and heal.

hmm great choices.

also i have already weaved the chain mail sheet for my replacement cast, which i get on monday, so that shold look really good.

I am also planing on writing on the cast the following words.

A small price to pay, for the lessons learned!

Any thing that you guiys want to have put on the cast?
write it down and either atach it as a jpg or email it to me and i will try and get it transfered on to the cast.

Oh and RIB the handcuffs wont fit over the cast, and my curent pair got broken in the crash, they wont lock now, but it may be a posible idea.

DEATH_INC.
12th March 2004, 19:23
I once got pulled up by a cop with a cast on my leg(broken femur)and my crutches tied across the bars........needless to say he wasn't impressed.
A week or so later I fell off turning around and strained all the new join and spent the next few weeks (christmas....DOH!)in hospital......
There's a moral to this story......

pete376403
12th March 2004, 20:19
Unless you have a really overpowering reason to keep riding, I'd leave it for a while - six weeks to get your wrist right opposed to the rest of your life if its not right.
I've a few speedway books that show the sort of things riders get up to when there's a lot at stake, such as qualifying for the World Champs. Ivan Mauger on crutches in the pits, being lifted on to his bike (broken leg). Ivan Mauger again, giving himself pain killing injections between his fingers (broken bones in his hand) Peter Collins with the twist grip on the left handlebar becuase his right wrist was broken (that must have been interesting - the twstgrip went the wrong way AND he worked the clutch with that hand as well). Bruce Cribb with a steel shoe fitted directly over a plaster cast on his left foot. Those guys were really keen.

130wide
12th March 2004, 21:14
Forget the cast, just tape it up.............what are ya........you'll be right, trust me, been there done that a couple of times.

ching_ching
13th March 2004, 07:39
Hey bro,

Wait till it heals.

But if you still go ahead with riding while got the cast on at least you'll be the stiff-arm king of the road knocking off those cager's wing mirrors eh bro?

ching :wavey:

Ur Most Wanted
18th March 2004, 08:59
hahah Riding with a cast? cracks me up..
Just recently ive had a cast on my left foot....coudnt ride with the fucking thing, however i tried to get on my bike every morning on the way to catch the bus, from huapai to Takapuna....

One day i even put my bike in second, and went from my place, to the huapai takeaways in second gear, about 800 metres, in the same gear, it started off bad, was so going to stall, then it finally sped up, until it was rev'n its nuts off, It was the best tasting burgar i had ever had, well worth it

Cast was spose to be on for 6 weeks, broken foot, 8 days later i ripped it off myself, with a saw and a pair of 'soon to become blunt scissors' picture coming......

/Kerran

RiderInBlack
18th March 2004, 21:49
Cast was spose to be on for 6 weeks, broken foot, 8 days later i ripped it off myself, with a saw and a pair of 'soon to become blunt scissors' picture coming......

/Kerran
:stupid:Cool, Not :crazy:
Cann't wait:2thumbsup for you story on how you foot got perminately f*cked :Pokey: