PDA

View Full Version : TV1 and TV3 news, Xmas day 2005

TonyB
26th December 2005, 18:47
Tell me, what was up with the major network news last night? Here we were, on the 25th of December, watching leading stories about the first aniversary of the Boxing Day Tsunami, which happened on the 26th of December- at around lunchtime our time. It really doesn't make a lot of sense, and quite frankly being reminded of it on the best xmas I've had in years was a major downer and I was pretty dark about it.

Are they so determined to show something dark and depressing that they have to bring the news story forward a day because nothing bad happened? Was it a case of both networks trying to get one up on the other by showing their story a day early? Or are 'our' major networks so heavily dependant on the US networks for news that they had to show the lead stories the US networks had prepared for xmas day, as I guess the Tsunami would have happened on xmas day for them. Any theories?

BTW- I have no problem with the Boxing Day Tsunami being remembered- it was a massive disaster of the likes never seen in recorded history, and it should never ever be forgotten. But I think that it should be remembered on the day it happened.

Motu
26th December 2005, 19:17
Haven't had the TV on for more than a week,and when I do I never watch the news.We are watching a DVD of RED Dwarf though.....get a bit of fun out of life,the news is depressing,that's why I never watch it.

oldrider
26th December 2005, 19:21
The old man in your face is internationally known as father time, he is relentless and he is everywhere. It gets worse, sooner or later you will see him too. Have a happy day. :motu: Cheers John.

TonyB
26th December 2005, 19:30
The old man in your face is internationally known as father time, he is relentless and he is everywhere. It gets worse, sooner or later you will see him too. Have a happy day. :motu: Cheers John.
LOL, I can see father time already... ugly old bugger isn't he?
Normally I don't watch the news, but when I do I kinda expect things to be remembered on the right day. Sadly it would seem that TV1 and 3 really DO seem to be so heavily dependant on the US networks that they can't sort out a decent properly sensationalised 'show' without outside help. Why couldn't they just go "Guess what? Nothing bad happened today! So we'll show you some of the good stuff that happened this year..."

Nah! It'd never happen..

Quartida
26th December 2005, 19:42
You know what? That would be great. It would be nice if, just once a year, they could show all the good stuff that's happened. I bet in NZ it far outweighs the bad. After all, TV1 is meant to be a 'public service' braodcaster..surely giving people a positive outlook is better than sensationalising bad things and rehashing them?

However, I don't think it's their reliance on overseas TV....I think that it's too much of a market-driven world and they both want their piece of the advertising pie.

Which sucks.

crashe
26th December 2005, 20:13
oh well TV1 did show a little bit of the Wanganui road race today...

They showed where one of the sidecar racers was taken to hospital with concussion... and that Craig ??? won the races... (sorry I can't remember his last name) They showed the start of one race where right at the beginning a couple of bikes got slightly tangled up...

So that was good news... showing the Wanganui Road race.
They even mentioned the next round will be at Paeroa in Feb 2006..

LXS
26th December 2005, 20:23
[QUOTE=Quartida]You know what? That would be great. It would be nice if, just once a year, they could show all the good stuff that's happened. I bet in NZ it far outweighs the bad. QUOTE]

Hey thats what I was going to say :laugh:

How hard could it be? Maybe an hour piece showing the highlights of 2005, i.e. the year that was.

Or perhaps they already do that, at the end of the year?

arrrgh :beer:

sunhuntin
26th December 2005, 20:24
didnt they use to show the whole thing? or is that tomorrow perhaps? would be nice to watch at least some of the races! lol.

Dafe
26th December 2005, 20:28
TVNZ Must have too many staff on Holiday to get enough local news stories.

quickbuck
26th December 2005, 20:40
oh well TV1 did show a little bit of the Wanganui road race today...

They showed where one of the sidecar racers was taken to hospital with concussion... and that Craig ??? won the races... (sorry I can't remember his last name) They showed the start of one race where right at the beginning a couple of bikes got slightly tangled up...

So that was good news... showing the Wanganui Road race.
They even mentioned the next round will be at Paeroa in Feb 2006..

His last name is Shirrifs. Remember that for the future, as he is in the top 7 of the most winning riders of all time at Wanganui (may be higher now). Also holds the new lap record of 49.92 seconds (set today).

Not having a rant, just been a long day (and a good one).
I got home so late I missed the news. The traffic was thick leaving Wanganui (not realising people have homes to get to).
:drinknsin
The race tangle I think involved one Steven Briggs (I didn't actually see the news, but that is my guess).

Virago
26th December 2005, 22:00
......We are watching a DVD of RED Dwarf though.....
Series 6? The kids gave it to me for xmas - just gotta wait my turn for the DVD player......:wait:

What?
27th December 2005, 05:52
...I don't think it's their reliance on overseas TV...
Watch the movie Bowling For Columbine. Michael Moore puts forward a theory from Marilyn Manson that much of the bad shit that goes down in America is due to the news "service". He may be wrong, but it's a bloody good point to ponder. I reckon our TV news style is borrowed from the US more than anywhere else.
On the flip side, maybe the TV news schedulers thought bugger all people wanted to be reminded about the tsunami, so they put the item on when they knew bugger all people would be watching.

Clockwork
27th December 2005, 07:15
Fact is.... marking the anniversary of any event does not constitute "NEWS"

Sniper
27th December 2005, 07:19
The news readers proberbly just want to go overseas. It was damn annoying though every hour or so when they came on and said their top story was about the Tsunami.

Swoop
27th December 2005, 07:56
TVNZ Must have too many staff on Holiday to get enough local news stories.
tvnz are a waste of electrons anyway...
Unfortunately both chanels are hunting for ways of filling 1 hours worth of primetime broadcasting, and we get inflicted with this drivel.
When it comes to the bike racing it is fairly obvious that they will show any form of "off" or crash. Simple sensationalist media representation of what they consider to be the "facts" and the main points they deem vital for the viewers to know.:wacko:

Red Dwarf sounds like an excellent alternative!

Lou Girardin
27th December 2005, 20:09
This time of year is always slow news time, that's why the do cutesy stories and stuff that the can dig up archive footage for.
On the other hand, Kerry Packer carked it. There is a God.