PDA

View Full Version : carrying a bicycle

erik
10th March 2004, 17:02
Riding home this afternoon, a bit before 5pm, and I saw a guy riding a trail bike of some sort (I think, he was a bit far away) with a bicycle with the front wheel removed on his back. I was on Hobson st, heading for the North Western motorway and he turned onto the motorway from Union st, a bit before me.
To be honest, I couldn't see if it was strapped to his back or a rack, but I thought it looked kind of dodgy. Added to the dodgyness was how he passed a few cars in the fast lane by overtaking on the right and getting into the dirt at the right edge of the fast lane around the Newton rd bridge.

It's surprising the risks some people take.

Kickaha
10th March 2004, 20:01
Riding home this afternoon, a bit before 5pm, and I saw a guy riding a trail bike of some sort (I think, he was a bit far away) with a bicycle with the front wheel removed on his back. I was on Hobson st, heading for the North Western motorway and he turned onto the motorway from Union st, a bit before me.
To be honest, I couldn't see if it was strapped to his back or a rack, but I thought it looked kind of dodgy. Added to the dodgyness was how he passed a few cars in the fast lane by overtaking on the right and getting into the dirt at the right edge of the fast lane around the Newton rd bridge.

You want dodgy,try four of us on a XL500 carrying a bicycle out the side of us,we rode a couple of km like that.

Holy Roller
10th March 2004, 21:04

There used to a guy out Murawai that had a rack fitted to his bike that held his surfboard. I often wondered how far he used to ride like that.

XRNR
10th March 2004, 22:01
There used to a guy out Murawai that had a rack fitted to his bike that held his surfboard...
Who's the dude that rides around Westyville with a midsized bike & sidecar platform thingy, with varying smaller bikes tied down to it.
I kind of get the impression hes a m/cycle powered m/cycle delivery boy.

Lou Girardin
11th March 2004, 06:11
Who's the dude that rides around Westyville with a midsized bike & sidecar platform thingy, with varying smaller bikes tied down to it.

Isn't that Henderson M/Cycles?
Lou

White trash
11th March 2004, 06:43

Jesus! Can you inagine coming off the a bicycle on your back?

Ouch!

curious george
11th March 2004, 20:32
Heh. Ever tried hanging onto a motobike whilst riding a bicycle? Used to hit 90-100kmh draughting behind one motorpacing....
Great fun untill potholes or the driver slams the brakes on :no:

Lee Rusty
12th March 2004, 03:51

the bikes are school bikes for my motorcycle school.

I have also caried a full size ten speed two wheeler attached to a pack rack a few years back to take to the Auckland Toy Run.

Now back to the ether

DeanOh
12th March 2004, 10:44
I used to carry my golf clubs across my knees on a SRX250. Made cornering interesting sometimes. :D

Motu
13th March 2004, 16:57
Ricky is an old hand at carrying bikes - dunno if I'd want to be behind that lot though!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36532

Timber020
13th March 2004, 22:24
I have carried a 100cc chainsaw with 40inch bar, a smaller saw, fuel, oil, ropes, harness, handsaw and hardhat on a rg50. Not saying it was that smart but sometimes theres no other way to get to a job!

Wonko
14th March 2004, 10:07
There is, or at least used to be motorcycle shop in Tauranga that had a sidecar fitted out to tow bikes on, First or Second ave, Devenport road end. The front wheel sits up on the tray, and the back was free to move around. Made truning courners interesting to watch from behind.

Jackrat
14th March 2004, 10:39
Crates of Beer,surf board,fishing rods,tents,swags,camping stuff,car tyres,people who should have been made to walk,sheep,goats,pigs,deer,lots of fish.Don't drop much :spudwhat:

Aucker
14th March 2004, 15:41

Sounds idiotic and illegal? lol, I remember one of Americas funniest home videos of a guy on a motorcycle who had strapped a 3 metre long piece of 4x2 wood across his packrack! :shutup: