PDA

View Full Version : Postie Bike Challenge

Jantar
27th December 2005, 13:39
In the latest issue of Bike Rider Magazine was an article on riding through the Australian outback on Honda CT110s. These bikes had already had a hard life as postie bikes in Ausie towns and cities, and now were expected to be ridden for thousands of kms through the outback.

I read the article a couple of times, and kept going back to it. Curiostity got the better of me so I called the autor of the article to get more information(he works for the same company that I do).

For those KBers who don't read BRM there is some information at http://www.postiebikechallenge.org/ and I have a word copy of the original article which I can forward to anyone interested.

So how about we organise a KBer presence for the 2007 ride. I'm certainly a starter.

wari
27th December 2005, 14:22
THat looks like a HOot .. :drinknsin

WHeer do I Sign .. :wari:

MInd you ... I MIght have to knitt some wool-len ma-crameh lamp shades to sell inda fam-illies weekly grarge sale to rase the fun-ds .. butt .. :woohoo:

Sniper
27th December 2005, 14:27
That looks like fun.

HDTboy
27th December 2005, 15:51
I'll lend Postie my bike and challenge him to bring it back in good condition

WRT
28th December 2005, 08:58
I'll lend Postie my bike and challenge him to bring it back in good condition

You are a braver man than I, good sir.

HDTboy
28th December 2005, 09:15
Does it make me even braver that it's around xmas time, and my bike's a CBR250?

Highlander
28th December 2005, 16:01
The website in the link you aded indicates the info is related to the September 2006 Postie challenge, was it a typo when you suggested we do a KB entry in the '07 challenge or did you mean for us to spend 18 months sorting ourselves out in preparation?

For me 2006 is unlikely but I could seriously entertain thoughts of the '07 one.

Postie
28th December 2005, 16:37
Does it make me even braver that it's around xmas time, and my bike's a CBR250?
i'll take that challange.
hey spoky thing happened. Cibby and I was supposed to be doing a sky dive on Tuesday 27th which is exactly one year on from my accident last year, we were supposed to jump at 3 which is the same time that i had my accident. the jump was postponed and we didn't get the 3 pm flight and then, the plane caught fire and they had to do an emergency jump...... i should have been on that plane, so i guess my Christmas bad luck is over......

Jantar
29th December 2005, 18:36
The website in the link you aded indicates the info is related to the September 2006 Postie challenge, was it a typo when you suggested we do a KB entry in the '07 challenge or did you mean for us to spend 18 months sorting ourselves out in preparation?

For me 2006 is unlikely but I could seriously entertain thoughts of the '07 one.

I intend planning for the 07 challenge. The roster is too tight to get sufficient time off for the 06 challenge. (Plus any extra cash I earn this year is already earmaked for a new DL1000 prior to the next Southern Cross ride.)

Jantar
29th December 2005, 18:39
i'll take that challange.
hey spoky thing happened. Cibby and I was supposed to be doing a sky dive on Tuesday 27th which is exactly one year on from my accident last year, we were supposed to jump at 3 which is the same time that i had my accident. the jump was postponed and we didn't get the 3 pm flight and then, the plane caught fire and they had to do an emergency jump...... i should have been on that plane, so i guess my Christmas bad luck is over......

It looks like you and parachutes just aren't meant for each other. Good skills on missing THAT flight. :eek5:

Highlander
29th December 2005, 19:27
Should have known it wouldn't be a typo.

2007 works better for me, similar reasons to you. Gives me 18 months to convince Wifey I need a couple of weeks in the Ausie outback without her....

Jantar
29th December 2005, 19:47
.... Gives me 18 months to convince Wifey I need a couple of weeks in the Ausie outback without her....

That part should be easy. Just Tell Michelle that you've planned an outback holiday for the whole family. Her job is to entertain the kids, be at each night's stop ahead of you with clean clothes on the ready etc. You'll have your outback motorcycling experience all on your own with no trouble at all.

Highlander
29th December 2005, 21:41
Already told her I'm doing the '07 Southern Cross will most likely be one or other.

LB
31st December 2005, 11:55
Jantar - Steve's a mate of mine. He's done a heap of riding overseas. Hired a bike and toured Alaska. Freighted his Guzzi Cali over to the US and toured around. He's done a couple of Australian rides now. He's a good guy.

Count me out of the Postie run - much as it reads like fun, it's not me!!

Hitcher
31st December 2005, 13:54
Hmmm. Something to think about once the clavicle heals...

Milky
31st December 2005, 16:16
Did someone say CT110s?

mdooher
10th May 2006, 19:09
Has anyone done the postiebike challenge? www.postiebikechallenge.org or planning to someday do it? Looks like a totally stupid/crazy thing to do. So stupid I might give it a go.Wouldn't mind hearing some reports first:scooter:

Blackbird
10th May 2006, 19:47
Yep, Jantar and I are seriously tempted. I'd prefer to wait a couple of years until I retire early then I've got plenty of time to think about it. Have you thought about doing the Southern Cross next year to build up for distance riding? (Bluff, Cape Reinga Lighthouse, East Cape Lighthouse and Egmont lighthouse in 5 days?). Can't remember the sequence for 2007. It's fantastic fun.

SwanTiger
10th May 2006, 19:56
That link does not work. Can you provide the correct/working link? I'm interested in finding out more.

mdb
10th May 2006, 20:00
Try it with the http (worked for me).
http://www.postiebikechallenge.org/

Jantar
10th May 2006, 20:09
Has anyone done the postiebike challenge? www.postiebikechallange.org or planning to someday do it? Looks like a totally stupid/crazy thing to do. So stupid I might give it a go.Wouldn't mind hearing some reports first:scooter:

I'm intending to do the 2007 run. I've already started a thread looking for interest, so I'll bump it back up.

For those who find that mdooher's link doesn't work, its just a simple typo, try www.postiebikechallenge.org , challenge is spelt with an "e" not an "a".

Jantar
10th May 2006, 20:10
Bump.... :scooter:

Flyingpony
10th May 2006, 20:37
Honda CT's :whistle:
Been there, done that, got many a story about that model :yes:
Would love to do that riding challenge on a CT, if only I had more than 20c in my pocket.

Highlander
10th May 2006, 20:41
Postie Bike sounds cool. One year I'll do it, but 2007 is looking like the Southern Cross for me.

Could always go real nuts and attempt the Southern Cross on Postie bikes......

mdb
10th May 2006, 20:43
if only I had more than 20c in my pocket.

That would probably get you about 100km on one of those 'bikes'

Jantar
10th May 2006, 20:46
Yep, Jantar and I are seriously tempted. I'd prefer to wait a couple of years until I retire early then I've got plenty of time to think about it. Have you thought about doing the Southern Cross next year to build up for distance riding? (Bluff, Cape Reinga Lighthouse, East Cape Lighthouse and Egmont lighthouse in 5 days?). Can't remember the sequence for 2007. It's fantastic fun.

The next Southern Cross:

2007 Southern Cross Road Rally.
Cape Egmont Monday 23rd April Noon - 1pm
Cape Reinga Tuesday 24th April Noon - 1pm
East Cape Wednesday 25th April Noon - 1pm
Bluff Friday 27th April Noon - 1pm
Late comers can sign in between Noon and 1pm Sat 28th April

paturoa
10th May 2006, 20:47
Had a CT90 as a pup and it was a total dog. It shit the con rod and rooted everything. Sold it for 20 bucks, the next owner had heaps of trouble with it too.

Blackbird
10th May 2006, 22:01
Could always go real nuts and attempt the Southern Cross on Postie bikes......

I missed the 2003 Southern Cross but I'm pretty sure that the first guy to get as far as Invercargill from Cape Reinga Lighthouse was riding a Suzuki RGV50!!! He just cruised along just stopping for gas, slept on the ferry and cruised down to invercargill. I think he slept there as he was far too early for the check in at Bluff. Now that's dedication!

Err....don't forget the 1000 miles in 24 hours Grand Challenge from Turangi in October. Good practice for the Southern Cross. Have done 4 and it never gets any easier.

Jantar
10th May 2006, 22:05
IErr....don't forget the 1000 miles in 24 hours Grand Challenge from Turangi in October. Good practice for the Southern Cross. Have done 4 and it never gets any easier.

Or come down here and do the Chatto Creek 1000 miler. I intend to be a rider rather than a checkpoint marshal this year.

mdooher
11th May 2006, 08:09
Sorry about the link, All fixed now, www.postiebikechallenge.org I'm so used to word fixing all my spelling errors.... I'm probably looking at taking my wife (to the challenge) in 2007 :scooter: :scooter:

Jantar
11th May 2006, 10:11
.. I'm probably looking at taking my wife (to the challenge) in 2007 :scooter: :scooter:

Good one... Looks like the start of a Kiwibiker challenge to the Australians in 2007. :blip: :scooter:

Insanity_rules
11th May 2006, 10:21
That looks like a complete hoot. When I was doing my bhs course there was a supervisor from the welly post bike delivery there with one and I got to have a go on it.
I was reliving my misspent youth with my Yamaha V50 (very similar scoot). It had a dirt bike conversion and I loved it to death (literally). We should organise a group of KBers to do it.

Blackbird
15th May 2006, 16:56
Good one... Looks like the start of a Kiwibiker challenge to the Australians in 2007. :blip: :scooter:

Malcolm, I casually pointed the Postie site out to Jennie and she said "Why don't you go and do it?" What a woman:Punk: Too much to do prior to semi-retirement but it looks like 2008 could be on the cards! another grand adventure.

Geoff

Jantar
15th May 2006, 17:11
That's what Paulette said to me when she saw I was reading the article in BRM for about the 4th time. Great women we've got Geoff. :laugh:

The Pastor
15th May 2006, 17:56
4'gs :S I'd rather do the targa for that :P

They have the same engines in the 110cc minichoppers and they always overheat then shut down for 10 mins.....

Jantar
21st June 2007, 23:53
Its been a year since this thread was active, and entries for this year's event are now open.

2007 is from Brisbane to Cairns, the long way. I'm sending in my entry this weekend, now how many other KBers are going. :scooter:

Zukin
5th July 2007, 21:38
I would love to go, but I think the finances are a bit short for that :no:

Hitcher
5th July 2007, 22:39
Too much hassle organising the procurement of a good used CT110 in Australia, not enough holidays owing...

I'm pleased somebody from Kiwi Biker is going though!

Steam
6th July 2007, 11:13
Too much hassle organising the procurement of a good used CT110 in Australia...

The Postie Bike Challenge people organise everything for you, the bike is included in the price of the event. I believe they are ex-Aussie Postal Service bikes, in real good condition.

Hitcher
6th July 2007, 11:20
The Postie Bike Challenge people organise everything for you, the bike is included in the price of the event. I believe they are ex-Aussie Postal Service bikes, in real good condition.

Last time I read their web site, one had to organise one's own bike. One then, apparently, had to donate it to the organisers at the end.

http://www.postiebikechallenge.org/the_challenge.htm

I see that this has now changed with the organisers now supplying the bikes as part of the cost and the transfer of bikes to the Cairns Rotary Club at the end being voluntary.

clint640
6th July 2007, 12:00
Have fun Jantar!

I'd love to do this one day when time & finance permits, I wonder if I could convince my Aussie based employer to sponsor me? Hmmm...

We'll be expecting regular updates. Go forth & go Postal!

Cheers
Clint

Zukin
6th July 2007, 13:31
Have fun Jantar!

We'll be expecting regular updates. Go forth & go Postal!

Cheers
Clint

It would the Ultimate adventure for a single man :yes:

They could enter the Postie Bike Challenge, and they could leave their "Male" in as many Ozzie "boxes" as humanly possible :laugh:

Steam
7th July 2007, 20:49
Here are some videos....
This first one is the actual Postie Bike Challenge, a good long 10 minute video about it. Man I wish I had enough money to do this, fully catered and supported.
The second video is just nutters crossing the nullabor.

This one is 10 mins long
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C78QdYa3hT0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C78QdYa3hT0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

This one is just short. Poor wee bikes!
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6s0GAKuc_Is"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6s0GAKuc_Is" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Jantar
7th July 2007, 21:37
...Man I wish I had enough money to do this, fully catered and supported...

Yeah, I wish I did too. But I'm doing it anyway. :D Actually, I'm lucky this year, My annual bonus from work is paying for almost half of the trip, and my bank manager can pay the other half.

Here are some more videos of previous challenges. http://www.postiebikechallenge.org/2005/index.htm

Jantar
10th October 2007, 07:25
Yeeehah, I'm on my way in 10 minutes time, fly out from Dunedin this afternoon, and this time next week I'll be somewhere west of Brisbane. :sunny:

I'll probably have very limited access to a computer over the next 3 1/2 weeks, but I'll check into to Kiwibiker when I can. Hopefully I'll have some good photos and video when I return. And Steam will be taking over the wee Honda in Cairns in 17 days from now.
:bye:

Rosie
10th October 2007, 08:12
Have fun :sunny:
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

Hitcher
10th October 2007, 08:44
Cheers, Jantar! The weather should be a bit more salubrious that what potentially awaits the participants in the XXIth Grand Challenge. I hope you are successfully elected in absentia (I think the locals refer to it as Dunstan).

Nasty
10th October 2007, 10:21
Yeeehah, I'm on my way in 10 minutes time, fly out from Dunedin this afternoon, and this time next week I'll be somewhere west of Brisbane. :sunny:

I'll probably have very limited access to a computer over the next 3 1/2 weeks, but I'll check into to Kiwibiker when I can. Hopefully I'll have some good photos and video when I return. And Steam will be taking over the wee Honda in Cairns in 17 days from now.
:bye:

have an awesome time .... can't wait to see how you do .... just enjoy yourself.

Al
10th October 2007, 10:35
Good luck and safe journeys!

If in or near Darwin, give me a call on 0428 490 308!

Regards

Al:Punk:

fireball
10th October 2007, 11:04
have fun!!!!

looks like something i should get my mum to do with me lol she used to be a postie biker in Qtown before moving to brisbane
im sure its bring back lovely memories for her!

Jantar
22nd October 2007, 14:32
This is just a quick update, and I'll do a full report and video when I get back to New Zealand.

The first 4 days were fabulous, but yesterday was the day from hell. Most riders came off in the bull dust, and one was very seriously injured. I watched him go down and was first on the scene to find him unconcious and having difficulty with breathing. He was flown to Mt Isa by RFDS (flying doctor)

I had the misfortune to be tossed from my bike at midday yesterday with a dislocated shoulder. I managed to get the shoulder back in place, but with very painfull and restricted movement. The organisers of the Postie Bike challenge took me to Julia Creek for medical attention (where I am right now), and the duty doctor has referred me to Mt Isa Hospital for Xrays and/or scans.

Right now I'm waiting for a bus to Mt Isa, and should arrive there tonight. However i'm out of the Postie Bike Challenge for at least the next 5 days when I rejoin them north of Cairns and arrive in town with the group (but in a backup vehicle).

XF650
22nd October 2007, 14:39
Get well quick, Malcolm

tri boy
22nd October 2007, 14:43
Bloody unlucky mate.:weep:
Know how ya feel. Spent some time in Townsville Hospital after a bike crash.
Hang in there, and see the tip by any way that makes you comfortable.
Its worth it.;)

Blackbird
22nd October 2007, 15:32
Aaargh! Very sorry to hear of your misfortune Malcolm. Hope that you're not in to much pain and look forward to hearing your full story. Safe travelling from now on my friend.

Geoff

Steam
22nd October 2007, 15:42
My goodness!
Heal well Malcolm and good luck with the scans.:doctor:
Did you relocate your arm by yourself or with help?
Aiiii!
I hope I don't suffer a similar fate.
See you this weekend regardless

Highlander
23rd October 2007, 08:01
Was wondering about how you were doing, guess this is the answer though not the one I was hoping for.

Looking forward to a more detailed account when you return.

Jantar
29th October 2007, 11:30
We arrived in Cairns on Saturday as planned, and Steam was there to watch his new (well abused) CT110 be ridden into town.

I'm now in Darwin for the next few days, and I've just pre-viewed the video clips I took. Unfortunately the one with the crash sequences didn't come out, so I can't show what a crashing Postie Bike looks like.

Steam
30th October 2007, 13:31
...so I can't show what a crashing Postie Bike looks like.

I'll try to take some crash footage and post it here.

Update from Cains: The postie is still registered in the Postie Bike Challenge organiser's name, so I the bike is parked up until they dereg it next week. AAoooo! So long till I can ride it legally!
But I have cleaned it and tightened the chain and I'm fitting the long-range fuel tank today.

Huzzah for Jantar!

Dave-
30th October 2007, 15:38
wait a second...a road trip in aus would be awesome...

anyone keen in late 08 to go across aus on a bike?