PDA

View Full Version : TS Race Report Wanganui B.O.T.S. '05

Two Smoker
28th December 2005, 13:56
Hey everyone,

With the help of KK taking my bike down (huge thanks mate) Chloe, Milky and I made it down to Wanganui (We travelled on bikes). Leaving Auckland at 4pm we arrived at Hooks' place by 11:30pm (Big thanks for putting us up mate :niceone: )

It was an Early start to Boxing Day. We were up early at 4am to ride accross to Wanganui for the morning scrutineering and sign in. Once that was all done it was time for my 4 sighting laps (ive never done Wanganui before) I got out there and had to scrub in my tyres at the same time as my sighting laps. What an awesome circuit!!! The funny thing is i didnt even notice the railway lines until the 3rd lap!!! It had bumps everywhere and a nasty rise in the braking area for turn one... I was keen to get out there and go hard.

Qualifying: We were given two sessions to do qualifying but each session was only three laps long. I managed to get out early in the second session to put in a semi decent lap and that resulted in my placing of 7th on the grid with a time of 56.764 in a sea of motards. I was stoked with this, being my first time there, and knew i could get more out of me and the bike, so was keen as to get out there in the race.

Race one: Revving the motor on the start line, the flag dropped and it seemed like 50 million motards went past me. Turn 1 was absolute chaos, but with late braking and a bit of pushing and shoving i settled into 7th place. Then on lap 2 i braked too late into turn one, resulting in the back wheel coming up and another motard got past me. It took me the next 3 laps to finally get past him and I was finally back in 7th place. I crossed the finish line in 7th place and was absolutely stoked!!! My new best time was a 55.954.

Race 2: I got a shocking start and got pushed out by motards in turn two, I was sitting in about 10th place when the race was red flagged due to a motard crashing on turn one. We sat on the run off area before our race was lined up again on the grid (glad to see the motard rider was ok)... I was on the start grid waiting for the flag to be waved, then two of the front row guys shot of the start before the flag was waved. I thought "Ah ok, false start" so i dropped my revs to wait for the start... BUT NOOOOO!!!! They waved the flag anyway... My revs were at about 4000rpm, and my start was a joke. I dropped back to about 17th and with alot of going around the outside of people and late braking i pushed upto 13th. I was in a big dice with Mark Wiggley and a guy on a KTM motard. I would get Wiggley under brakes and try get the martard on the inside, but the motard would cut me off everytime and because of the slower corner speed result in me having to brake in mid corner... This happened every lap for the rest of the race. I was really disappointed in myself for letting my revs drop, but also in the event organisers for not calling it a false start. Ah well thats racing, and there is always next time. My best lap time in that race was a 56.579 which should have seen me in at least 7th place.

Due to my time i had put down in race one, i had qualified for the fastest 40 non-qualifyers of the Robert Holden Memorial Race. This put me 3rd on the grid. Being on the front row, i got a great start and quickly settled into 4th place behind a ZX-6R. I was chasing him down hard, then made a braking error into turn one resulting in a motard getting past me. After another 2 laps i got past that motard putting me in 4th place again, hot on the heels of the ZX-6R. Then on the final lap I went up the inside of the ZX-6R on Robert Holden Corner, and made it stick in turn 8. I pushed hard towards the finish and just made it in 3rd place overall!!! With a new personal best of 55.946 and winning the F3 class.

Huge thanks to my girlfriend Chloe for the support, Milky for being my mechanic, KK and Nod for taking my bike down, Shaun Harris, Hooks, and all the KB'ers that came and watched, or said gidday.

Only one issue with the day, and that was the motards. Awesome bikes, and wicked to watch them racing. But i dont believe they belong in F3, it is a completely different style of riding and results in confrontations (would you mix V8 supercars with drift cars?). They have their own class, and most of them are eligible for Bears aswell. The Supermotard class also got 3 races while everyone else got two. This results in a shitload of racing for them and putting alot of the F3 racers off.

But anyway, Cheers everyone :niceone:

froggyfrenchman
28th December 2005, 14:02
good onya, have to agree with ya bout the motards, but what can you do...

wari
28th December 2005, 14:05
I Was wat-ching out furr ya ... butt .. :drinkup:

SOme-how I Missed .. :thud:

Jantar
28th December 2005, 14:10
Great write up TS, and sounds like good racing too. I would disagree with your comments on the Motards though, street racing is one thing they do well and the results show that in these circumstances they certainly can foot it with the fast guys. On the track it would be a different story.

Keep it up. I hope to watch you race down here one day.

mv.senna
28th December 2005, 14:13
good on ya TS. thanks for posting the report for those of us that couldn't make it down there. nice to know how you're going!

was KK racing?

cheers,
jo

enigma51
28th December 2005, 14:15
With you on the motards they have different riding styles which makes it diffucult to pass them (Says one that have never raced against a motard but looks like that from the side line)

Good work TS !!!!!!

emaN
28th December 2005, 14:19
dude...watched you in that last race just back from the 1st corner, waving you on an' all!
great ride that was,got a pic of you on the brakes, back wheel an inch or two off the road...i'll send it to ya when i get home, along with some others,(assuming you want 'em).
good to meet you and alex on the day!
am in the very early phases of talking myself into "having a go"....who knows?
well done anyway!

loosebruce
28th December 2005, 14:20
Mint one chris, were you on ya 400cc or did you end up on the 650cc??

Will catch up with you soon mate, if i dont see ya beofre the new year thingee whatever the hell that is have a good un, and ya knows if ya hungry where to go.

Later mate.

sAsLEX
28th December 2005, 14:25
Great write up TS, and sounds like good racing too. I would disagree with your comments on the Motards though, street racing is one thing they do well and the results show that in these circumstances they certainly can foot it with the fast guys. On the track it would be a different story.

Keep it up. I hope to watch you race down here one day.

true but as TS said they had there own class! Of which they had three races versus the F3's 2, obviously cause its good for the spectators seeing Briggs backing it in from a couple hundred metres back from the corner.

I dont see why they are in pretty much all the classes though, they were in bears f3 f2 and their own class, sure they are cool to watch but what next, motards in with the sidecars?

Joni
28th December 2005, 14:53
You did real well Chris, Congrats! :niceone:

k14
28th December 2005, 16:00
Yeah, as much as everyone else will hate me for this, i agree with you. They are allowed to enter F3 and so whats the problem, doesn't faze me. It just teaches better racing and passing techniques. I was held up by them on a few occasions but didn't really have a problem with it. My 2c anyway

Milky
28th December 2005, 16:21
was KK racing?

cheers,
jo

KK was, albeit on his less than standard 400 which limits his achievements...

Mint one chris, were you on ya 400cc or did you end up on the 650cc??

TS was riding the mighty 400 - Guy Martin from the UK rode the SV among other bikes over the weekend

Two Smoker
28th December 2005, 16:45
Cheers for the comments guys :niceone: Any photos would be awesome Eman :niceone:

Re the motards, Im usually sweet as with the motards being in the F3 class. Due to the fact that it makes it more interesting and me a better rider. For instance they have better brakes, and have so much torque that punches them out of a corner, where i can still be late on the brakes and hold a higher corner speed.

But the main problem is the fact that they were in SO many classes. Most of the motard guys got at least 8 races in the day.... Where I only got in 3...

k14
28th December 2005, 16:50
But the main problem is the fact that they were in SO many classes. Most of the motard guys got at least 8 races in the day.... Where I only got in 3...
Yeah thats true, only having 3 races was a bit of a bummer, seeing as they only last 6 mins max. Maybe they should limit everyone to only being able to enter in 2 classes, or something like that. Pretty sure it does cost extra to enter in multiple classes though. Could have bought the bucket and entered it in post classics lol.

erik
28th December 2005, 20:10
Neat report. :niceone:

RiderInBlack
28th December 2005, 20:18
Awesome Chris. Wish I could have be there to see you mate.

dangerous
28th December 2005, 20:22
Milky, Nod, Hooks,
So they were all in the pits to huh, and ya dident introduce us.... I'm trying to think who is who, I'm guessing I can pick Milky:2thumbsup

ajturbo
28th December 2005, 21:03
yes matey.. you did well..! it was great to see someone i knew racing...
good to see "mitch" out there also, she was saying it was her first race back ... after manfield...

and that "sparky Bill's"..... should we now call him crash????:nya: (sorry to the "real" crash..)

Rodders
28th December 2005, 21:17
NICE ONE CHRIS!! Good to get some info on your racing at Wanganui as I couldn't be there. When are you getting on the SV...Paeroa???? Real keen to see how you go on a gruntier bike....even your GSXR???

Posh Tourer :P
28th December 2005, 22:00
So they were all in the pits to huh, and ya dident introduce us.... I'm trying to think who is who, I'm guessing I can pick Milky:2thumbsup

It isnt hard is it..... :bleh:

'all you need is milky' (Sloganiser.......)

sugilite
29th December 2005, 09:06
Great race report!

If one looks at the lines supermotards take at Wanganui, they are almost identicle to road race lines. This is because the put it sideways approach is actually slower on road race tracks, motarders only do this on warm up and slow down laps for the most part....to please the crowd!
I race a 2 stroke motard bike, so cannot use that sideways style, however when I'm up against motards that put it out sideways on the entrance to corners, I thank them for the xmas present and shove it up the inside! I developed this technique at the Mt Wellington kart track. I won the 1st place cup that day, and yes Briggs and other go fast guys were there.

I hear you on the traffic congestion issues, it needs to be looked at, maybe with a certain amount of grid spots available and preference given to genuine F3 class bikes, then motards can take any spare spots after that, this should apply to all road race meets as I saw a similar issue at Taupo recently.

Wellyman
29th December 2005, 10:21
Hey TS good write up. hows your brakes going? are they still glazing up badly or is it improving?
keep up the good work,
WM

Kwaka-Kid
29th December 2005, 15:58
Dunno what to say Chris! You friggin ride so well and consistent its all been said before over and over, well done, top effort! shit it was good to hear.

Hey Dangerous im pretty sure I introduced Milky to you guys? as my girlfriend or something wasnt it?

And mv.senna yeah i was there, race report only just went up this morning.

svs
30th December 2005, 08:34
some pics of you on the day....

Posh Tourer :P
30th December 2005, 08:43
Great pics there SVS.....

Awesome stuff chris....

Firefight
30th December 2005, 14:33
hey Chris,

just read your write up, well done man, we are all proud of you.

F/F
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Two Smoker
4th January 2006, 17:52
Cheers everyone for the comments and photos :niceone: Hopefully see you guys at Paeroa...

emaN
27th January 2006, 10:58
TS, here's those pix I mentioned...

better late than never......braking, that is

Two Smoker
28th January 2006, 17:57
TS, here's those pix I mentioned...

better late than never......braking, that is

Cheers for the pictures mate :niceone: love the braking one hehehe