PDA

View Full Version : Other reasons to love biking

SuperDave
28th December 2005, 21:09
Went for a ride last night around Kaukapakapa and Workworth to finish off a great long weekend. I didn't realise how many kms I clocked up the day before and as a result ran out of petrol - strange as the bike was not set on reserve yet it sucked the entire tank dry; I must have mistakenly switched the fuel lines when I took the tank off a couple of months back.

So cruising nicely along East Coast Road about 10 mins away from home and the bike suddenly starts losing power - my first thought was that it was actually the end of the engine's life, but bless Kawasaki, 120,000kms and still going strong! So stopped on the side of the road and tried restarting it on reserve and push starting and what not, nothing worked, checked in the tank and couldn't see any fuel so it must have been fully dry.

Only one bike passed me, and only one bike stopped. An awesome dude on a white and red Suzuki Impulse 400, I believe his name was Brett if I remember correctly. This guy was a top bloke, set off to get me some fuel and within 15 mins he was back with three litres of the good stuff, enough to get me to the Shell and fill up with 13 litres!

This is just another reason why I love biking and the community that you become part of when riding a bike. Not a single one of the 30 or so cars that passed me whilst I was waiting on the side of the road for the fuel stopped or even slowed to see if they could help out.

DMNTD
28th December 2005, 21:26
Only one bike passed me, and only one bike stopped.
Yep that's what I'm talking about:yeah: :niceone:
Glad to hear ya got it sorted without any serious stress

zadok
28th December 2005, 21:29
Bikers generally look after each other. Good to see.:niceone:

Korea
28th December 2005, 21:37
Nice one Brett. Green bling to you buddy (whattayameanhe'snotonKB???)...

erik
28th December 2005, 22:48
Good to hear.

Just a thought though, did you try to wave any of the cars down?

(I'm kinda joking here, I mean you had no reason to wave them down if the guy on the bike was already helping you with the fuel. My point is that had you needed help, you could have tried waving a cager down and chances are one of them would've stopped. Go see Hitcher's thread about his accident and how the bikers continued past him while the cagers stopped to help.)

Suney
28th December 2005, 22:51
Brings a tear to my eye
If you were in a cage, people would only stop if you were an attractive female

inlinefour
29th December 2005, 01:15
Brings a tear to my eye
If you were in a cage, people would only stop if you were an attractive female

I'd stop for an attractive female on a bike though:ride:

wraith
29th December 2005, 06:26
Coming from the UK, its nice to know you guys have the same outlook when it comes to helping fellow bikers out. Screw all the car drivers:finger: , we should keep on looking out for each other.:niceone:
After saying that, a guy (in a car) in the UK stopped after i had broken down , to see if he could help. I then found out he was a biker!!! No surprise there.

myvice
29th December 2005, 06:33
Bit of a kama thing, I have stopped to help others and I've had others stop to help me.
Why is no one else carying duct tape?

Sniper
29th December 2005, 06:39
Nice to see mate. Well done to Brett wherever he is.

Deviant Esq
29th December 2005, 08:18
Duct tape is handy :niceone:

Sounds like you were well looked after in the end, nice one :)

SPman
29th December 2005, 11:49
Strangely enough, when I ran out of gas last year - it was a cage that pulled up and the 2 girls therein, pulled out a 4 litre tin of gas .......for no charge (but I payed them anyway - for next time).......glad to help out,says they......whilst all the bikes carried on past.........

Ixion
29th December 2005, 19:49
I've often stopped in the cage to help a biker (mind you I'll stop to help cages too). And I always carry duct tape.

Tis the Biker Law and the Unwritten Gospel.

inlinefour
29th December 2005, 22:23
I've often stopped in the cage to help a biker (mind you I'll stop to help cages too). And I always carry duct tape.

Tis the Biker Law and the Unwritten Gospel.

Its one of the basic requirements in my little tool kit for the bikes.:yes: