PDA

View Full Version : Bus Lanes

SNOman
11th March 2004, 10:19
This is just a general rave to see how everybody feels about Bus Lanes.

When I used to live in Sandringham and ride to work I used to use the bus lanes and it was fantastic to cut around traffic and the fact that you were allowed to do it was great. Everytime there was a cop pulling cars up they would just wave you through.

When I moved from Sandringham to out the end of the NthW motorway it got me wondering about bus lanes on the motorway. I contacted the LTSA to ask them about this and they put it no to Transit NZ. The short answer is that it came back from Transit that NO you couldn't use the bus lanes on the motorway as it was not a permanent lane and was for scheduled services only. So, given this I started doing what most of us do and did the lane straddle thing.

It seems so stupid not to be able to use this lane, at say a reduced speed, rather than traffic hopping. With all the traffic woes in Auckland they should be doing everything possible to ease traffic congestion. I don't ride the bike to work anymore, don't have a rd bike. But being able to use the bus lane would sure make me think about getting another one, instead of spending over an hour in traffic.

Anybody considered a petition from the biking community to see if Transit will extend their motorbike bus lane use policy to the motorways?

Just my two cents for this morning. It would sure make riding a motorbike in peak hour traffic a lot safer on a bike.

El Dopa
11th March 2004, 10:30
There's a big thread covering exactly this topic somewhere on the site, going back several months and detailing someone on the North Shores fight with the council, government etc etc. Can't remember who it was, unfortunately, but it's something I feel pretty strongly about so I'll hunt it down tonight and post again then.

Skyryder
11th March 2004, 11:09
Being both a bus driver and a biker I can tell you that I know both sides to the story. Bus lanes are there for a very good reason. Not only do we have time tables to keep but they allow the drivers to merge into traffic with relitive ease and safety. That's me wearing my bus hat.

As a bus driver I am aware of the limited vision, especially the rear vision that large bus vehicles have. Now if anyone wants to travel in a designated bus lane then I am not going to make any moral judement on this but if you get yourself wiped out and belive me that is a real possibility then don't go blaming the bus driver. He probably will not even see you. Having said that if for any reason you are in a hurry put your lights on and remember the bus is bigger than you and be prepared to take evasive action if neccessary. After all the driver is not going to suffer any injury but you will and that's a certainty.

Stay sharp stay cool and stay alive.

Skyryder

SNOman
11th March 2004, 11:21
There's a big thread covering exactly this topic somewhere on the site, going back several months and detailing someone on the North Shores fight with the council, government etc etc. Can't remember who it was, unfortunately, but it's something I feel pretty strongly about so I'll hunt it down tonight and post again then.

After your post I dug back through my old email archive and found this dated 6 Dec 2000. A long time ago I know but it doesn't sound like things have changed much.
------------------------
David,

We have been forwarded your email re use of bus shoulder lanes on the Auckland motorways by the LTSA, Transit New Zealand being the road controlling authority for the state highways.

Use of the emergency stopping shoulder during periods defined for use as a Bus Lane is restricted to vehicles fulfilling a timetabled public passenger service.

Although the requirements may seem unnecessarily restrictive to some, there are considerable safety implications associated with operating an emergency stopping shoulder as a bus lane. The By-Law prescribing use of the shoulder was formulated after extensive liaison with several groups including Police, Land Transport Safety Authority, Bus Companies and legal advisors. The intention is to ensure that use is confined to groups that can be easily contacted and briefed on particular requirements and responsibilities associated with the motorway shoulder operation.

Regards

Peter Evans, Traffic Systems Engineer, Transit New Zealand., Auckland

SNOman
11th March 2004, 11:26
Being both a bus driver and a biker I can tell you that I know both sides to the story. Bus lanes are there for a very good reason. Not only do we have time tables to keep but they allow the drivers to merge into traffic with relitive ease and safety. That's me wearing my bus hat.

As a bus driver I am aware of the limited vision, especially the rear vision that large bus vehicles have. Now if anyone wants to travel in a designated bus lane then I am not going to make any moral judement on this but if you get yourself wiped out and belive me that is a real possibility then don't go blaming the bus driver. He probably will not even see you. Having said that if for any reason you are in a hurry put your lights on and remember the bus is bigger than you and be prepared to take evasive action if neccessary. After all the driver is not going to suffer any injury but you will and that's a certainty.

Stay sharp stay cool and stay alive.

Skyryder

thanks for your reply. Good to hear from the other side of the handlebars, so to speak.

I would like to think that if a bike was travelling in a bus lane in front of a bus then there would be no problems, as the driver could clearly see the vehicle. If a bike is behind a bus then the onus is on the rider as he has no business trying to pass a bus in the bus lane anyway. The bus lane should be a no passing situation.

El Dopa
11th March 2004, 12:56
thanks for your reply. Good to hear from the other side of the handlebars, so to speak.

I would like to think that if a bike was travelling in a bus lane in front of a bus then there would be no problems, as the driver could clearly see the vehicle. If a bike is behind a bus then the onus is on the rider as he has no business trying to pass a bus in the bus lane anyway. The bus lane should be a no passing situation.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I found the thread on bus lanes: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=386

Redstar seems to be the bloke to talk to.

Lou Girardin
11th March 2004, 15:56
Having a bus doing 60 - 70km/h miss me by 1/2 metre while broken down on the stopping shoulder and seeing some of the buses merging (barging) tactics, I wonder who's the greater danger.
And how come buses can use those lanes after 9.30AM? I've been tempted to tuck in behind one, but knowing my luck I'd be booked and the bus left alone.
Lou

Skyryder
11th March 2004, 17:53
Yes you are right Snowman. The problem is with the rear vision. As far as traveling in front of a large vehicle be it a bus or a semi I for one get out of their line of travel as soon as possible for obvious reasons.

Skyryder