PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Tyre Repair

zadok
29th December 2005, 11:11
Next week the missus and I are are going to Kalgoorlie for a few days. It is a 600km trip east. Thought I had better be prepared and bought a can of Motul Tyre Repair. Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd hate to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flatty. It's not like a car where you can just change it.
Has anyone that has used this product, recommend it?
http://www.motul.com.au/product_line_up/fork_brake_others/others15.html

Grumpy
29th December 2005, 11:53
Used a similar product a while ago. We found the stuff worked good provided the tyre was still warm. These days I carry one of those punture repair kits with the CO2 cannisters. Luckily haven't had to test that one out yet.

Korea
29th December 2005, 12:31
I'm all for it, but just use it to limp the bike to the shop so you can get the tyre repaired proper-like. I wouldn't trust a repaired tyre for much longer than that.

Motu
29th December 2005, 12:33
They are ok on tubeless,but then tubeless are suposed to be self sealing anyway.Not so good on tubed tyres,and you need the puncture to be in the tread area to get the best sealing effect - in all my yrs on and off the road I don't think I've ever had the standard tread area puncture,it's always been a pinched tube,spoke damage,valve stem or sidewall puncture.Lifts previous patches on a tube too.

limbimtimwim
29th December 2005, 12:39
Next week the missus and I are are going to Kalgoorlie for a few days. It is a 600km trip east. Thought I had better be prepared and bought a can of Motul Tyre Repair. I remember reading once about someone who something similar under his seat. It got hot and it exploded, which meant it puked stuff all over the tyre, and he an accident.

So keep it in another bag.

Cookie
29th December 2005, 15:05
I just recently bought a can of this - anything that offers the hope of not having to push the bike home for $20 bucks or so has to be worth the money.

The guy at the shop advised me that it will work best on regular shaped punctures like the typical nail through the tire. Something nasty and jagged is going to produce a gash which may not be plugged by the stuff.

zadok
29th December 2005, 16:37
I just recently bought a can of this - anything that offers the hope of not having to push the bike home for $20 bucks or so has to be worth the money.
My sentiments exactly.

bluninja
29th December 2005, 22:47
Not tried the goo in the tyre products. Hearsay(not a KB member ) says it's a pig to clean off when your tyre gets taken off for repair/replacement.

I've used the tyre plug and CO2 canister (on the RSVR) and it's fine as long as it's not a rip...even then it can get you a few K's before repacking. I've had friends that have ridden at 140 mph with a roadside plug repair and just replaced the tyre when worn as normal. I rode with a friend in Wales, he punctured his rear on a Yamaha Thunderace. We repaired it with a plug and rode 200 miles that day and replaced the tyre the next day.

Plus the plug kit is small to carry and fits in the tail of most bikes. Buy store on bike, and forget.

F5 Dave
4th January 2006, 15:45
Tire companies get really paranoid about repairs (pando goo or insert) as they are likely to come unstuck & deflate a whole heap faster than they did the first time.

Tread with caution. Like a space saver car wheel you don’t want to travel far or fast. Sure people do but some get caught out & I believe there are plenty of documented incidences.

Then I’d take it in to be checked/ repaired properly first op.

Hence I wouldn’t use tyre pando goo (hard to clean out & repair + more dodgy to start with) & buy a tubeless repair kit instead but still treat it as a get checked affair.

Kornholio
4th January 2006, 15:55
I've had friends that have ridden at 140 mph with a roadside plug repair and just replaced the tyre when worn as normal.

Got a flat rear a couple of weeks ago and my mate fixed it with his farm bike repair kit(had a wick type thing with sticky stuff on it and poke it in the hole and cut off the excess). Has survived Coro loop twice but tyre about poked so will replace it shortly but this worked fine :wari:

Scouse
4th January 2006, 16:08
Yup have to agree avoid the spray thingy go for the wick and CO2 bulb thingy

Jackrat
14th January 2006, 19:04
Used one once about twenty years ago,it was the tyre pando brand.
I only just got home before it all spewed out again.
Carry a plug an CO2 kit now.
Never had to use it though and got my second punture last week.
Was a screw dead center in the rear tyre,noticed it when I got off the bike at work so I just rode around the corner to Botany Honda,got a Honda lead scooter from them to get back to work then picked up the bike later in the day,,,,,less $35.
WTF two puntures in my life,,,good value.

heavenly.talker
14th January 2006, 19:15
We use tyre slime. The shop put it in for us. It instantly seals punctures.

Kornholio
14th January 2006, 21:27
Got a flat rear a couple of weeks ago and my mate fixed it with his farm bike repair kit(had a wick type thing with sticky stuff on it and poke it in the hole and cut off the excess). Has survived Coro loop twice but tyre about poked so will replace it shortly but this worked fine :wari:

[update] Went on Thursday nite ride the other night, still wick thing in there but about 1/3 of tire has steel belt showing.. was 15mm wide, got to Ngongataha(sp*) steel was 1/2 way around tire a and a good 30mm across lol wick thing still holding :) had a few iced teas(lol) and pretty much caned it home from there, worked it out on calc thingy and was going over 230k(143.75mph) and still holding....bit spongy on corners as could feel the centre of tire caving in(was quite thin there) but got home safe and sound...This was a Pirelli Diablo btw , even with tire flat(which I didnt know at the time) I was doing 180+kph and didnt really notice anything strange til I got to a corner and even then it just felt a bit spongy
I have bloody good faith in tyre manufacturers these days and the rubber they put out can take all sorts of shit....havent had a blowout yet where the tire disintegrates and rips the ass end off your bike but until then ride it to the rim :D

Yes Dunc I have had a couple of bevvies :P

boomer
14th January 2006, 22:04
Yes Dunc I have had a couple of bevvies :P

I'd expect nothing less :wari:

Yoshi did the loop with a plug, which was installed at the meeting spot - papakura; I even took the old girl for a spin. Although im no testiment to fast riding.

Fancy riding your pride and joy on a steel belt.. show her some respect Rick!!!!:nya:

Kornholio
14th January 2006, 22:17
Fancy riding your pride and joy on a steel belt.. show her some respect Rick!!!!:nya:

Jesus dude I nearly red repped you for that statement!!!....Ride it like ya stole it fella :rockon:

boomer
14th January 2006, 22:30
i'm a nana :Pokey:

here ya go

beyond
26th January 2006, 21:19
I had a blow out once on the rear, thank goodness. If thank goodness can be said except it wasn't the front :) Was like riding a bronco at a rodeo at 120kmh. Managed to get it over to the side of the Takanini Motorway but after using a Pando, blew the crap all over the motorway and a few passing cars. Faced a long push on a flat tyre in full winter gear. :(

Anyways, CO2's are real good except where the leak is so small you can't find where to shove the plug (dog turd to some) especially where the tyre is flat already and no wind is coming out.

Now I carry a can of crap and the dog turd repair kit thingy to make sure I cover any scenario, other than me wheel coming off altogether. :rofl: