PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Blackbird, hello again Fireblade!

Zed
29th December 2005, 22:15
Yesterday I traded in my 1997 Honda CBR1100XX after owning for 10 months and clocking up over 21,000kms on it, and now I am the proud owner of a 2003 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade (the last time I owned a Blade was 10 yrs ago). See pics attached of the bikes alongside eachother at the dealership in Hamilton.

Truth be known, I am sad to see the mighty Bird go, but not only was it getting high in the kms and was starting to deteriorate cosmetically, but I came to realise that I much desire to be back on a light-weight sportsbike. The Blackbird is a dry weight of 223kgs whereas the new Blade weighs in at a mere 168kgs! It took me a while to adjust to the heavy 1100 when I first bought it but I came to respect & understand my limitations on it. I have the same attitude towards the 954, the transition back to a lighter bike with nearly as much power will need to be a careful one because this machine is no doubt a weapon of destruction in the wrong hands!

I will always love the Blackbird and highly recomend it as an awesome all-round motorcycle, if you can handle the weight/power that is? If I was going to make any criticisms I would mention the linked brakes, and that in order to stop the bike quickly you really have to give it a handful and include using the rear pedal at times too. In comparison to the 954 they are very lacking IMO, but the weight of the bike has to be considered. Non adjustable suspension is another downside to the Bird.

I've only ridden a mere 200kms on the 954 so far but I am blown away with the power-weight ratio (front comes up extremely easy in 1st, easy in 2nd, and 3rd takes a tad more effort lol), brakes are excellent with only 1 finger on the lever, quite happy with the EFI instant performance(first fuel injected bike I've owned), much enjoying the digital gauge, and it's great to have fully adjustable suspension again which I've changed all back to standard settings and will set up accordingly after a few test rides. I chose the 954 after reading several testimonies from Blade owners on the Net, and I have liked the look of this model ever since it was released with its sexy swingarm, sleek tail with lovely clear LED lamp, titanium stock muffler, and generally the whole shape from front to rear just pushes my buttons! First on the shopping list for the new wheels is a tinted bubble windscreen, polished ali frame sliders & bar end weights, which are all on their way from the States. I won't be changing the exhaust or trying to make to bike more powerful for the mean time. [Edit:]Forgot to mention that I will be tidying up the rear end 'spade' asap!

Much looking forward to riding with some of you over the summer holiday period. :ride:

skidMark
29th December 2005, 22:19
very nice zed quite similar styling to the bird in a way looking at the two together.

well from that angle at least.

have fun but safely of course ah screw it go for it :Punk:

MA

Highlander
29th December 2005, 22:20
VERY nice. :niceone:

Get out there and enjoy the new toy.

Marmoot
29th December 2005, 22:35
I'VE TOLD YOU SO!

EVER SINCE YOU WANTED TO BUY THAT BIRD, I'VE TOLD YOU THE PERILS OF FIREBLADE TEMPTATION!

Good decision. Good man.

I'm still missing my 99 Blade. I'm still missing it so.

My 99 blue repsol-scheme Blade.......great bike that was. I believe the new owner is in North Shore? I've seen you a couple of times in the Northern Mway. Come up, I want to congratulate you. :headbang:

oldrider
29th December 2005, 22:45
Good on you doing what pleases you Zed but the Blackbird will do well over 100kph in first gear (What will the blade do?) it all seems such a waste of the rest of the bike on NZ roads today. Enjoy! Cheers John.

Zapf
29th December 2005, 22:46
where is the bird caged Zed? I won't mind a test ride.... did you find the bird too fat? slow? .... or? seeing I am being tempted to have a play with the birds.... :)

Patch
29th December 2005, 22:55
Nice bike, looks much nicer than the ole bird.

Gotta lose that ugly stock pipe tho - :sick:

zadok
29th December 2005, 22:56
Wow, you could knock me down with a feather...didn't see that one coming. Very nice replacement....same stable at least. Onya Matthew:2thumbsup :ride:

M1CRO
29th December 2005, 23:02
omg zed! Well done..
Where's the Busa's play-buddy now! :)

Biff
30th December 2005, 00:29
Good luck with the pocket rocket Zed. Shame to see you leave the roost.

RiderInBlack
30th December 2005, 06:17
I am being tempted to have a play with the birds.... :)So you thinking about going straight Felix:lol: Just teasing mate. Would love to know what you got for the Bird Zed. I, like Felix, would love to play with one too:wait:

Dafe
30th December 2005, 06:25
Speaking of Blackbirds, Did you know there is a Hawk the Japanese call the Hyabusa, That preys on Blackbirds...... I thought thats very cool! Thanks for the info Darkman.

Also, Congratulations on the new ride Zed. I know how much fun you're about to have!!! Good timing too.

Joni
30th December 2005, 07:15
Stunning Matt, Congrats! :niceone:

Flyingpony
30th December 2005, 07:23
The Blackbird is a dry weight of 223kgs whereas the new Blade weighs in at a mere 168kgs!
That's rather a light bike and not much heavier than my FXR at 118kg dry.
Congrats on the new wheels.

SixPackBack
30th December 2005, 08:00
Should be a bit sprotier for you Zed....enjoy!

BLACKYOSHI1000
30th December 2005, 08:08
ZED LOOK FWD TO GOIN FOR A RIDE WITH YA ON YA NEW SCOOTER
WATCH THAT BALANCEIN POINT:innocent:
LET ME KNOW WHEN YOUR OUT AND ABOUT

Zed
30th December 2005, 08:31
Thanks for the congratulatory posts everyone! Such a beautiful day outside today I am sooo tempted to skip doing the lawns *again* and just get out there on the open roads. Will be taking the wife for a short pillion to her girlfriends house then taking her friends 3 kids for a ride one by one as they have requested, kids are just fascinated with bikes!

the Blackbird will do well over 100kph in first gear (What will the blade do?)Not sure exactly how fast the 954 goes in 1st but I do know it's MORE than the Bird!

where is the bird caged Zed? I won't mind a test ride.... did you find the bird too fat? slow? .... or? seeing I am being tempted to have a play with the birds.... :)Boyd Honda has it for sale. No I didn't find it too fat or slow Felix, but as I've mentioned it is heavy and I came to realise that a much lighter bike suits my current riding style! The Blackbird is a supurb machine, take one for a test ride and make your own decison fella.

Gotta lose that ugly stock pipe tho - :sick:I've had far worse, and I quite like it thankyou very much, it is *titanium* after all! Vigorously rubbed some autosol into it yesterday and it polished up good.

Where's the Busa's play-buddy now! :)I can still play with the 954, believe me. :)

Shame to see you leave the roost.Yes, it is a shame, I had nothing but good positive feedback from every Blackbird rider I met whilst being an owner, it seems that bike makes a wonderful impression in the heart of the rider...will miss the comradeship, I've never experienced the like ever before. :bye:

Would love to know what you got for the Bird Zed. I, like Felix, would love to play with one too:wait: You should be able to pick up a good one for between 8-10 grand Doug, and I say go for it you'll love it, it's just the kind of bike for your needs with all the touring you do.

Speaking of Blackbirds, Did you know there is a Hawk the Japanese call the Hyabusa, That preys on Blackbirds...... I thought thats very cool!Yeah the Japs have a thing for naming big bikes after birds it seems, learnt that a while back. I know what you're saying about the Hayabusa preying on Blackbirds but I found out that it's more the individual *rider* that does the preying!!! :headbang:

That's rather a light bike and not much heavier than my FXR at 118kg dry.Still 50kgs heavier, and that's a big difference when it comes to bikes. Coming off the Bird and on to the Blade I had to be very careful cos the Blade is just so much more flickable and fiesty in & out of corners! :eek5:

onearmedbandit
30th December 2005, 08:37
Speaking of Blackbirds, Did you know there is a Hawk the Japanese call the Hyabusa, That preys on Blackbirds...... I thought thats very cool! Thanks for the info Darkman.

Also, Congratulations on the new ride Zed. I know how much fun you're about to have!!! Good timing too.

I think you'll find that wasn't accidental.

Well done Zed, very nice looking bike.

Cibby
30th December 2005, 09:19
its beautiful :love: :love:

Coyote
30th December 2005, 09:33
You bastard! You lucky, lucky bastard! That's one of my favourite bikes, it looks amazing! Great choice :2thumbsup

I remember Honda claiming the 954RR could go 0-100km/h in under 2 seconds. Reckon it's capable of that?

Hitcher
30th December 2005, 09:34
Well done Zed. Eventually one's motorcycling soul finds its "right" place. Enjoy your new Blade. It must be nice being able to ride a bike. Sigh...

NhuanH
30th December 2005, 09:38
Well done Zed. Eventually one's motorcycling soul finds its "right" place. Enjoy your new Blade. It must be nice being able to ride a bike. Sigh...
Please, don't get all Pirsig on us. Especially when you have ?10? weeks of non-riding.

Zed
30th December 2005, 10:08
You bastard! You lucky, lucky bastard! That's one of my favourite bikes, it looks amazing! Great choice :2thumbsupThanks mate, I guess you could say I am lucky, especially having a wife who supported my decision to buy the 954.

I remember Honda claiming the 954RR could go 0-100km/h in under 2 seconds. Reckon it's capable of that?That all depends whether you or I are riding it I suppose! :Punk:

DMNTD
30th December 2005, 10:21
Maaaaaaaate,that's one hot LOOKING bike sir:yes:
Maybe next time you'll get the "flavour" right though:Pokey::lol:
Congrad's,enjoy(duh!) and ride safe

onearmedbandit
30th December 2005, 10:25
When did Honda claim the 'blade could do 0-100 in less than 2 seconds? None-the-less, thanks for the humour. BTW alarumba if you are going to post jokes please put them into the 'Jokes' forum. Posting it in here means some people might take it seriously!!

Zed
30th December 2005, 10:37
Maybe next time you'll get the "flavour" right though:Pokey::lol: The flavour being custard yellow (there was one 4 sale but I thought 'yuck', wouldn't go with my red leathers anyway) or Suzooki? Owned a couple of Gixxers and they just don't do my body justice, give me the cramps...the K5-K6 Gixxer1000 however is more comfy I'm told, but currently a tad out of my price range!

Darkman
30th December 2005, 10:45
Still 50kgs heavier, and that's a big difference when it comes to bikes. Coming off the Bird and on to the Blade I had to be very careful cos the Blade is just so much more flickable and fiesty in & out of corners! :eek5:[/QUOTE]

Ahhh..thks for that..Just the sort of thing I wanted to hear. Also looking to trade the Bird in on something smaller..:msn-wink:

Marmoot
30th December 2005, 11:24
When did Honda claim the 'blade could do 0-100 in less than 2 seconds? None-the-less, thanks for the humour. BTW alarumba if you are going to post jokes please put them into the 'Jokes' forum. Posting it in here means some people might take it seriously!!

Yes, totally agree there. 2 seconds is way too much and would be better called as Suzuki's ballpark. :weird:

Blade's faster than that

boomer
30th December 2005, 11:25
The blade will/should do over a tonne in first .. my 600 does; weighing in at 163kg's

Nice bike mate.. Enjoy :first:

Coyote
30th December 2005, 11:39
Yeah, thought it was bullshit. Would've been awesome if it was capable of that though

Any, as requested: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=458384#post458384

Firefight
30th December 2005, 14:49
Great looking bike Matt,:clap:

Can't wait to see it, will be great to ride with you again, look fwd to seeing it on the next fight club ride

F/F:crazy:

Lord Pac
30th December 2005, 14:59
nice!!!

Good one Matt :niceone:

Zed
30th December 2005, 15:42
nice!!!

Good one Matt :niceone:Freaky man, this biker I met and was talking to down in Wanganui last Monday night asked me out of the blue if I knew YOU Paco? I said you'd bought a new Raven and he said yeah that's the guy! Why u so popular man, lol? Small world...:D

Zed
30th December 2005, 17:28
The blade will/should do over a tonne in first .. my 600 does; weighing in at 163kg'sJust found out that mine will get to 130kmph as it redlines, might get another 5-10k out of it but don't see the point. If your 600 gets over a tonne in 1st then I'm Mickey Mouse. :confused:

Marmoot
30th December 2005, 17:31
Just found out that mine will get to 130kmph as it redlines, might get another 5-10k out of it but don't see the point. If your 600 gets over a tonne in 1st then I'm Mickey Mouse. :confused:

cbr6 can do 110 in first I think, before the rev limiter cuts in.
That is the '99 version. 600rr might do more.

froggyfrenchman
30th December 2005, 17:32
looks great, many happy miles for ya

boomer
30th December 2005, 18:36
Just found out that mine will get to 130kmph as it redlines, might get another 5-10k out of it but don't see the point. If your 600 gets over a tonne in 1st then I'm Mickey Mouse. :confused:

"ello Mickey, Nice to meet ya. What big ears ya got :yeah:

kro
30th December 2005, 18:42
Now is perhaps a bad time to admit I have a woody I guess. Nice bike Zed, awesome ride sunshine.

Coyote
30th December 2005, 19:39
Check out this site once it's up and running: http://www.second-look.com/

I found the site when searching up CBR954 pics half a year ago. The seat covers they had for it looked awesome

Zed
1st January 2006, 13:58
The rear spade has gone! What a fiddly job too, but I knew the end result would be worth all the trouble. Now a much tidier looking rear IMO (see 1st post pic for comparison). [smilie=9,13,6]

Coyote
1st January 2006, 14:14
That's looking heaps better :niceone:

2_SL0
1st January 2006, 15:07
Congrats, Nice looking bike. :yeah:

Firefight
1st January 2006, 15:09
Congrats, Nice looking bke. :yeah:

Bit:Offtopic: , but hey Paul long time no see, Happy new year man.

F/F:blink:

2_SL0
1st January 2006, 15:34
Bit:Offtopic: , but hey Paul long time no see, Happy new year man.

F/F:blink:

Hiya FF, Happy New Year. Hopefully will get out on a ride with you soon.

Paul

mattt
1st January 2006, 16:32
The rear spade has gone! What a fiddly job too, but I knew the end result would be worth all the trouble. Now a much tidier looking rear IMO (see 1st post pic for comparison). [smilie=9,13,6]

Awesome stuff Matthew - nearly looks as good as my new ride. :Pokey:
See U out there sometime.

Zed
1st January 2006, 16:35
...nearly looks as good as my new ride. :Pokey:
See U out there sometime.Yeah, and i'll see U on that bumble bee machine from a mile away mate! [smilie=2,41,15]

gav
1st January 2006, 20:50
Nice bike, Zed, so what did it cost and were you tempted to go for a CBR1000RR at all? Some cheap ones around at the moment!

Zed
1st January 2006, 21:12
Nice bike, Zed, so what did it cost and were you tempted to go for a CBR1000RR at all? Some cheap ones around at the moment!Cost about twice the amount I got for the Bird as a trade in. I did do the research on both bikes and IMO the 954 came out on top. Wasn't really tempted with the thou, have had my eye on the 954 for years, just wanted one.

WINJA
3rd January 2006, 09:12
cost about twice the amount i got for the bird as a trade in. i did do the research on both bikes and imo the 954 came out on top. wasn't really tempted with the thou, have had my eye on the 954 for years, just wanted one.
did you really think god wanted you to waste your money on that shitheap when theres 10,000,000 starving children in africa , the right thing woulda been to sell the bird and sponsor 5 hungry children , shame on you zed, while zed buys a new bike a filthy little african child waits , while zed buys new tyres and fuel a disease riddled indian kid starves

cowpoos
3rd January 2006, 19:49
did you really think god wanted you to waste your money on that shitheap when theres 10,000,000 starving children in africa , the right thing woulda been to sell the bird and sponsor 5 hungry children , shame on you zed, while zed buys a new bike a filthy little african child waits , while zed buys new tyres and fuel a disease riddled indian kid starves

god would have been forgiving had zed brought a suz or a kawa....

Zed
3rd January 2006, 20:05
god would have been forgiving had zed brought a suz or a kawa....Ppfft, what do you guys know about God? :shutup:

I've owned 2 gixxers and ridden many more, great bikes but not for my frame. The Honda is more me, specifically the CBR's it seems. I don't mind discrimination between Euro bikes & Jappas, Cruisers & Sprotbikes, but you ningkompoops who discriminate between different manufacturers need to get a life!! :laugh:

Btw, Hondas rule in my life! :Pokey:

Sensei
3rd January 2006, 20:20
Owner of Honda shop here let me ride Arron Slights CBR 954 to try it out when I was looking at a Brand new SP1 which I was the first to ride here in the Naki .Thougt the Blade was a great bike , as the SP1 was a new model wasn't going to buy one till they had proved themself . Where as the Blade was already a Good bike even tho they had a 16" front wheel . You should have alot of fun with this new Toy ZED . Cann't be to bad a bike if Arron Slight owned one . :2thumbsup

Kornholio
3rd January 2006, 20:41
From what I seen of it today it was worth every penny...ooh and nice wheelie today too :D

WINJA
3rd January 2006, 20:59
from what i seen of it today it was worth every penny...ooh and nice wheelie today too :d
jesus fucken christ hes breaking laws as well

cowpoos
3rd January 2006, 21:29
Owner of Honda shop here let me ride Arron Slights CBR 954 to try it out when I was looking at a Brand new SP1 which I was the first to ride here in the Naki .Thougt the Blade was a great bike , as the SP1 was a new model wasn't going to buy one till they had proved themself . Where as the Blade was already a Good bike even tho they had a 16" front wheel . You should have alot of fun with this new Toy ZED . Cann't be to bad a bike if Arron Slight owned one . :2thumbsup

what was arrons own bike doing in the naki???

cowpoos
3rd January 2006, 21:32
Ppfft, what do you guys know about God? :shutup:

I've owned 2 gixxers and ridden many more, great bikes but not for my frame. The Honda is more me, specifically the CBR's it seems. I don't mind discrimination between Euro bikes & Jappas, Cruisers & Sprotbikes, but you ningkompoops who discriminate between different manufacturers need to get a life!! :laugh:

whats a ningkompoops ?? sounds like something a nazi would call a jew if u ask me!!!! :doh:

boomer
3rd January 2006, 21:34
whats a ningkompoops ??

i dont think your far of the mark.. not heard that saying for a while .. hahah

RiderInBlack
4th January 2006, 05:51
Hey guys, could you please leave the Religion bashing to the Scottish Thread:Playnice: You're acting like dumbkoffs.

Glad you enjoying the newbe Zed. A bit more your stye than the Bird I think. A bird would really suit me but it will be a while before I can afford to trade "Roxanne" for one of her younger sisters. It would be cool to a play with a Bird to see how much different they are from her though.

Lou Girardin
4th January 2006, 07:28
Ppfft, what do you guys know about God? :shutup:
ugh:

Well I know he rides a Suzuki.
His son rides a Yamaha though, named Rossi or some such.
He used to ride a Honda, but Dad said he'd already made the ultimate sacrifice.

Marmoot
4th January 2006, 10:19
Where as the Blade was already a Good bike even tho they had a 16" front wheel

I believe 954 have 17" front.

Zed
4th January 2006, 10:40
I believe 954 have 17" front.I can confirm, that is a true belief! :hitcher:

marty
4th January 2006, 10:48

charity begins at home winja.

one should always get their own back yard in order first.

and i presume that you don't have a bike so that YOU can afford $1 a day?

WINJA
4th January 2006, 13:40
i got 2 bikes , but personally id rather put my money in the insincerator than send it to africa .
what about you marty , what do you send to africa?

Marmoot
4th January 2006, 14:58
I can confirm, that is a true belief! :hitcher:

AMEN BROTHER! HALLELUJAH!

My Blade (99) was the last version of Fireblade that has 16"
They changed it to 17" with the new millenium.

inlinefour
4th January 2006, 17:00

Nice to see that you have got what you really wanted. I guess getting the bird was all part of finding that out? Can't say I disagree with your comment on Honda either. Mighty fine bikes they are. Oh and for all you non-believers, I own a Yamaha and Kawasaki also:Pokey:

marty
4th January 2006, 17:36
i got 2 bikes , but personally id rather put my money in the insincerator than send it to africa .
what about you marty , what do you send to africa?

well i've got 3 so there. and a huge penis (obviously). i said charity begins at home. starting with my rear tyre.

Kornholio
4th January 2006, 18:49
i said charity begins at home. starting with my rear tyre.

The busa will be glad to see that :D

Storm
5th January 2006, 20:05
Nice work Zed, thats a very nice piece of engineering you are parking your backside on. Track day might be a bit more fun with this bike to eh ;) ??

loosebruce
10th January 2006, 23:23
Blade was looking sweet Matt, keep on pulling some mingin wheelies, you're at your best on the 600 i reckon, but it'll come right soon enough, time you gotta start on those stoppies though. God i hope the Gix is up and running soon, got some riding to catch up on.

Zed
11th January 2006, 10:38
Blade was looking sweet Matt, keep on pulling some mingin wheelies, you're at your best on the 600 i reckon, but it'll come right soon enough, time you gotta start on those stoppies though...Thanks bud, I'm wrapped with the Blade, and only had it now for a week & a half so i'll give it a bit longer before I'm "at my best"! Front comes up sooo easily in 1st, next mission is to start changing into 2nd to get more distance...

Stoppies? what r they?? :blah: