PDA

View Full Version : Visiting NZ in Feb with my Kiwi wife

Cycletech
30th December 2005, 09:16
Hey Chris here. My wife and i are going to NZ in February to visit her family. It will be my first time there. We live in Virigina(USA) right now. I work as a tech at the local Honda bike dealer. I also teach motorcycle safety to the Army.

Anyone know of any road racing going on in February? I would be nice to catch racing of some sort while we are there. I road raced a Ducati for a couple of years but had a real hard get off at Daytona in 02. Shattered my right leg, wrist, collar bone etc. Had to learn to walk all over again. Now i just like to watch.

I ride an 85 BMW K100RT most of the time. Thought i would hate when i picked it up but have grown to really like it athough it's almost impossible to wheelie. Other bikes are 92 900SS, DR200SE, CS3B Yamaha, and a Hodaka ace 100.

Drop me a line with anything i must see in the South Island. We fly into Christchurch on Feb 9 and leave out on the 23rd.

Chris

oh and what is the best beer to look for in NZ?

XTC
30th December 2005, 09:22
oh and what is the best beer to look for in NZ?

A cold one..... preferably free.

R1madness
30th December 2005, 09:40
Hi Chris. Sorry man you will have missed our national race series by about 2 weeks. The last round is here in Christchurch on the 20/21/22 January.
What to see and do? Well do you have access to a bike while here? If yes then i can point out a whole heap of great rides. I can lend ya a local road guide book and you can ride some of the best roads in the world. There are a couple of great alpine passes that connect up to make a fantastic 8 hour ride. You would get from one side of the country to the other and back in that time. Hahaha its a tiny little country but the corners are fantastic and the surface is mostly good.
The police take a very hard line on speeding and will confiscate your vehicle at currently 50kph but about to be reduced to 40kph (30mph) over the speed limit.
Dirt biking is big here too. Lots of free space to ride. River runs are popular and there is an off road park here too (its BYO bike).
What sort of things are you looking for? CHCH is a great place lots to see and do. Adventure tourism is big. Bungy jump, Also hot thremal pools. Jet boating, White water rafts etc. Shark diving and whale watch at kaikora (an hour and a half away).
There are a couple of bike hire places here in Chch.

Beer sorry i am not qualified to comment but the popular ones are
Bitter - Speights
Draft - DB
or somewhere inbetween is Lion Red.

Look us up when in CHCH and come around for a BBQ and a relaxing evening talking bikes and shit if ya like.
Cheers
Ian

boomer
30th December 2005, 09:47
Enjoy the trip... watch out for the kiwi's and enjoy the trip :Punk:

XTC has the right idea :rofl:

st3
30th December 2005, 10:55
Drop me a line with anything i must see in the South Island. We fly into Christchurch on Feb 9 and leave out on the 23rd. Chris oh and what is the best beer to look for in NZ?
Arguably the best beer in the South Island (aka as the "Mainland") is "Speights" brewed in Dunedin

I'm sure your wife will have some great ideas, being a Kiwi, but here are some cool Mainland sights/places I enjoy in no particular order:
Kiakoura - fun winding coastal ride north of Christchurch and you can swim with the dolphins and whale watch there.
Mt Cookand Mackenzie country - some wide country roads with majestic high country scenery and river fishing.
Queenstown - the tourist party town of the south with lots of expensive adrenaline activities, pubs and restrauants. Known for it's ski fields in winter.
Fiordland and Fox Glazier – some of the best sub tropical bush scenery in the mainland but watch out for the hordes of mosquitoes in Fiordland - insect repellent a absolute must. Also good sub tropical bush scenery is the more isolated west coast. The further south the colder the climate but the warmer the hospitality.
Nelson probably has the warmest climate and lush bush and coast scenery and swimming beaches etc.

mangell6
30th December 2005, 16:02
Racing at Pukekohe and at Paeroa in early February.

Highlander
30th December 2005, 20:57
Paeroa Battle of the Streets traditionally the third Sunday in Feb (makes it the 19th in 2006). Well worth a look, bit of a haul from Christchurch though.

Monteiths do a good drop to sooth a parched throat (bit pricey though).

Enjoy your time here and take a look around.

Cycletech
31st December 2005, 06:50
Thanks for the input. I won't have a bike available to me but i have thought about buying one and shipping it back. I have always wanted an NC 30 VFR 400. We can't get them in the states and i hear they handle great. Any bike shops in Christchurch i should look at?

Riff Raff
31st December 2005, 07:06
Thanks for the input. I won't have a bike available to me but i have thought about buying one and shipping it back. I have always wanted an NC 30 VFR 400. We can't get them in the states and i hear they handle great. Any bike shops in Christchurch i should look at?

Check out http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/ which has dealer listings around New Zealand.

Also keep an eye on www.trademe.co.nz
Here's one on there:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=43669812&key=6467

As for motorbike racing - Paeroa is going to be the big event while you're over here and is well worth making the trip to the North Island for.

Welcome to KB and I hope you have a great time in our wonderful country.

R1madness
31st December 2005, 09:18

If you are going to buy one to ship out of NZ tell the bike shop that because they will be able to sell it to you without the tax (12.5% saving).
NC30s were great in 1990 but not really sure how they would really compare to a modern bike 15 years on. But then who am i to talk, i have a FZR400SP sitting in my garage (beside my R1) that i think was the best bike in the world (in 1987). Its a bit ratbike now and needs a few bits (dont ya hate lending bits to racers who then crash on them :pinch: ) to get it on the road. Oh well shit happens haha :calm:
Bike shops in Chch. There are a few but probibly only 1 or 2 that may have NC30s. There may be more choise of that model in Dunedin (4hours south) as there were lots imported into there. I dont like recommending shops as i have too many friends in the industry here to recomend one over the other. Try phoning a few when you are here is the best way. If all else fails i can put you onto a Direct importer who will also ship to USA.

Cycletech
31st December 2005, 11:28
If all else fails i can put you onto a Direct importer who will also ship to USA.

Yes please. I looked into shipping and i am surprised to find it's a lot cheaper than i thought (about 5-600 US).

I don't know if i will like the NC30 because i have never riden one but from what i hear it's a great little bike. A few have been imported but most found there way to club racing and have been well beat. The FZR400 we had for 2 years in the states and almost all of them were raced. You can still go to the track and see 400's taking tropy's. Sadly we don't get any 400 spotbikes anymore. Most everyone thinks they need a 600,750 or 1000 to have fun when most of them need to start on a 250. No learner license here, just turn 16 and buy whatever you want and go out and hurt yourself.

Chris

Cycletech
31st December 2005, 11:51
Check out http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/ which has dealer listings around New Zealand.

Also keep an eye on www.trademe.co.nz
Here's one on there:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=43669812&key=6467

As for motorbike racing - Paeroa is going to be the big event while you're over here and is well worth making the trip to the North Island for.

Welcome to KB and I hope you have a great time in our wonderful country.

Thanks, i saw that one up in Auckland but we won't be that far north to check it out. The farthest north we are going is Wellington, how much farther is Paeroa?

Colapop
31st December 2005, 14:18
Another 10 hours driving, 'bout 40mins by plane.
Welcome to the site and soon to NZ as well. And don't worry not all kiwis are friendly so you won't feel too "out of States"!! j/j

boomer
31st December 2005, 16:00
You'll love it here.. beautiful place and beautiful people ("Cept for a few on here :blip: )

Enjoy!!