PDA

View Full Version : GN250 Speedo Problems

deathstar
30th December 2005, 09:38
I am a complete newb when it comes to these sorts of things but the glass broke on my speedo so i brought another with like 70k on the clock and so wanted to switch them over but cann't get the silver frame of the glass off CAN ANYONE HELP?

Ixion
30th December 2005, 10:09
You'll probably find this is difficult if not impossible. In general the bezels are not intended to be replaced. Why not just swap the entire speedo ?

deathstar
30th December 2005, 12:20
well i want the km's to be correct and the old one is pretty smashed the new ones case is great but i'm not leaving it with 70k's on a new bike

Ixion
30th December 2005, 12:38
Try pulling the complete works of the old one out from below, and put into the new case

deathstar
30th December 2005, 15:42
it is complete plastic all around apart from a metal ring at the top which held the glass in it but can't even get it off with pliers

Ixion
30th December 2005, 15:44
I don'tthinkthey'reintendedtobetakenapart.Themetalri ngisjustforornament.The oldSmithsbezelsunscrewwedbutthatwasyearsago.

froggyfrenchman
30th December 2005, 15:45
sorry to tell ya that its impossible, another speedo is the only answer

deathstar
31st December 2005, 22:12
well can you change the number showing on the 70k one?

froggyfrenchman
31st December 2005, 22:32
well can you change the number showing on the 70k one?

Put speedo cable on back of speedo, attach other end of cable inner to electric drill. Go hard.

May or may not work, i accept no responsibulity if it dosnt, but expect full credit if it does!

Sketchy_Racer
31st December 2005, 22:55
you hillbillys are always expecting..... when ya gonna give to the needy??

deathstar
1st January 2006, 00:49
right so managed to get the front off of the old one with a lot of pulling and levering so have got the old speedo out but don't think the same thing would work with the new one so might get in contact with suzuki. Anyone know a price for a brand new boxed one?

twinkle
6th January 2006, 16:13
Put speedo cable on back of speedo, attach other end of cable inner to electric drill. Go hard.

May or may not work, i accept no responsibulity if it dosnt, but expect full credit if it does!
Nope doesn't work, already tried that one :laugh: only way to wind it back is to take it apart :wari:

You can't wind it back, but I'd imagine you can wind it forward right around the clock... might take a while thou.

FROSTY
6th January 2006, 17:26
Ive ripped GN speedos to biits in the past for exactly that reason.But never to refit to a almost new bike. Pulling it appart aint the hassle. The problem is squeazing the lip back into the chrome ring without it looking frigging ugly.
Usually i end up with a few crimp marks on it.

deathstar
6th January 2006, 18:18
well thats what i was concerned about but coleman's wants $440 for a new one i almost choked when i heard

FROSTY
6th January 2006, 21:38
given you already have the speedos ya might get away with the ol softboard/punch trick --worst case youll end up with a few dents on the back edge of the chrome ring

thehollowmen
7th January 2006, 06:59
sorry bud, nothing about it in my service manual.

could ya take it down to smith and smith and let them figure it out? :-P