PDA

View Full Version : "The driver did not stop"

Sycophant
11th March 2004, 17:36
Woman dies after being knocked off motorcycle (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3554141&thesection=news&thesubsection=general)
11.03.2004 1.00 pm

A Matamata woman on her way to visit the family of a friend who had just died was killed when she was knocked off a motorcycle by a car leaving a driveway, and then run over by a second vehicle.

Deborah Marie Knight, 43, a passenger on the motorcycle, was hit by the cars on Mill Rd, Papakura, about 11.45pm on Friday.

Mrs Knight was on her way to visit the family of a friend who had died of cancer the night before when a car pulled out of a driveway on the street and knocked her off the motorcycle.

The driver did not stop.

A second car leaving the address moments later ran over Mrs Knight.

The driver of the motorcycle suffered minor injuries.

- NZPA

I can't believe the driver didn't stop, there's no chance you'd not be sure your caused an accident if you were coming out of a driveway and collided with a motorbike.

People coming out of driveways and pulling out from the side of the road are always a worry...

James Deuce
11th March 2004, 17:40
I can't believe the driver didn't stop, there's no chance you'd not be sure your caused an accident if you were coming out of a driveway and collided with a motorbike.

People coming out of driveways and pulling out from the side of the road are always a worry...

Oh I believe it all right. I'll bet there'll be counselling for the driver that killed her too.

And the insurance company will make up a nice reason not to pay out on the bike or her life insurance. :mad:

SPman
11th March 2004, 17:46
Probably pissed!

Firefight
11th March 2004, 18:36
Probably pissed!

You would be right, in fact both cage drivers had been drinking

Firefight.

Ms Piggy
11th March 2004, 20:35
Terrible stuff!! :( Is this the one that was (very briefly) reported on Saturday morning radio as happening in the Bombay Hills?

Sorry I don't know Akld well at all.

Coldkiwi
12th March 2004, 10:36
You would be right, in fact both cage drivers had been drinking

Firefight.

oh man... do the cops know who did it?

aff-man
12th March 2004, 10:52
^$#@%$$!#%@#$%$#%!@%^#@ and this kinda pisses me off i have heard nothing news wise i bet the media just think oh well another biker hit bit the dust, we might comment on it. If they killed her isn't it vehicular homicide or something????

riffer
12th March 2004, 10:54
No such thing in this country buddy. The best you could hope for if you were prosecuting is careless driving/dangerous driving causing death.

I've yet to hear of a manslaughter charge being successful in this sort of case.

Sucks doesn't it?

aff-man
12th March 2004, 11:26
Hmmmmm maybe a lynch mob/possie should be formed me thinks :angry2: :ar15:

Firefight
12th March 2004, 13:34
oh man... do the cops know who did it?

Yes.

F/F

James Deuce
12th March 2004, 14:13
No such thing in this country buddy. The best you could hope for if you were prosecuting is careless driving/dangerous driving causing death.

I've yet to hear of a manslaughter charge being successful in this sort of case.

Sucks doesn't it?

That's because it was on the road so it was an accident.

Slim
17th March 2004, 08:47

Didn't that girl that got pissed off at a rural party in Northland, got in her car & went barrelling through the crowd of teenagers get done for manslaughter or similar?

They have to prove that the driver intended harm when they got in their vehicle, which is the hard part.

marty
17th March 2004, 09:41
have a look here. i can't find the one from last week's times - tairi pleaded gulty to manslaughter at pre trial last week. he is being sentenced in a month or so. he will receive a prison sentence - maybe 5 years.

http://www.crime.co.nz/displaynews.asp?id=35443

riffer
17th March 2004, 11:15
Well, I stand corrected. Good to see. A little of my faith in the justice system is restored.:rolleyes:

Rocket
17th March 2004, 11:37
Well, I stand corrected. Good to see. A little of my faith in the justice system is restored.:rolleyes:

If you hit someone with a vechicle and thy die, and you left the scene of the crime you get charged with manslaughter. If you had of stayed, you would of been with something farless, more like reckless driving or similiar.

Coldkiwi
17th March 2004, 11:43
well thats some good news at least in a tragic situation FF.

marty
17th March 2004, 11:48
actually, it was the circumstances surrounding the crash, and the subsequent death, that meant he was charged with manslaughter. the fact that he ran from the scene is irrelevant, as the kid was already dead. on your logic, if you shot and killed someone, then stuck around waiting for the cops, you would only be charged with unlawfully discharging a firearm

Rocket
17th March 2004, 11:54
that article is slightly confusing. was the lady that died riding pillon on the motorcycle? and when the say the driver did not stop, does that mean the driver of the bike, or the driver of the car? And what car caused the death? First car that knocked her off, or the car that came 2nd and ran her over?
Which driver is being charged? the Motorcyclist or the driver of the 1st or 2nd car?
I AM CONFUSED< maybe i woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning.

Firefight
18th March 2004, 06:30
that article is slightly confusing. was the lady that died riding pillon on the motorcycle? and when the say the driver did not stop, does that mean the driver of the bike, or the driver of the car? And what car caused the death? First car that knocked her off, or the car that came 2nd and ran her over?
Which driver is being charged? the Motorcyclist or the driver of the 1st or 2nd car?
I AM CONFUSED< maybe i woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning.

1) Yes
2) car driver did not stop (at first)
3) second car
4) possibliy all 3 , two car drivers & 1 bike rider.

may not have been so confusing if you remeber you drive a car, you ride a bike, no sarcasim inttended.

Firefight :crazy: