PDA

View Full Version : Lane Splitting

Holy Roller
11th March 2004, 17:53
Any one read the article in Kiwi Rider "March Issue" from BRONZ on lane splitting titled Threading The Needle on page 53 ?

<I>BRONZ has to thank Inspector Ian James of the NZ Police and Kiwi Rider. The magazine has solicited a more comprehensive reply to the question of lane splitting and filtering than BRONZ has been able to.
Two points are particularly worth of note.
1 / The regulations as explained by Inspector Ian James seems to allow lane splitting on the motorway through traffic that is stationary
2/ It also seems to allow filtering through stationary traffic at intersections.
A number of areas of the traffic regula*tions appear to support tins.
Regulation 8 seems to say that you may pass a stationary vehicle, on the left or right, as long as you have a clear view of the road for I00m in the direction in which you are travelling and you are not likely to impede approaching traffic.
If you are on the motorway and are impeding oncoming traffic, lane splitting would seem to be the least of your problems. It’s interesting to note that it seems to refer to a clear view; not a clear road.
So you can pass moving traffic as long as the one in the same lane as you is stationary.

Then there’s Regulation 4, which requires a driver (does that also cover riders? We assume so) to drive ‘as far as practical within a lane’. The definition of ‘as far as practical’ might be subject to opinion, but if you stay within a lane (even if it includes a stationary vehicle) then surely you are obeying that par*ticular regulation? Of course if you need to change lanes (cross the line marking the lanes) you must signal your intention.
The overtaking must be ‘safe and considerate' to other road users. </I>

Might be good idea to get a copy of this letter
Gordon

Coldkiwi
12th March 2004, 10:44
INSPECTOR IAN JAMES!? geez, I wouldn't trust anything he says. he's the twat responsible for the ludicrous noise guidelines!! probably hasn't even figured out he's got an elbow let alone whether its different from his rectum!

James Deuce
12th March 2004, 11:50
INSPECTOR IAN JAMES!? geez, I wouldn't trust anything he says. he's the twat responsible for the ludicrous noise guidelines!! probably hasn't even figured out he's got an elbow let alone whether its different from his rectum!

He's also the goober that made the comment about advanced driver/rider training only encouraging people to exceed the speed limit.

enigma51
18th August 2004, 23:01
I dont understand the cops each one you speak to has a different take on this one.

badlieutenant
18th August 2004, 23:55
i think thats the point, because the law doesnt define it accurately then its officers discretion. As an officer is a witness of the court (i.e thier testimony has more weight than other witnesses) if it came down to your word or his regarding the safety of an offence then plod will win. its a cruel world.

wkid_one
19th August 2004, 07:38
I'd rather base my decision to split on the law rather than a pillocks interpretation of it

riffer
19th August 2004, 08:29
79UBA is back on the Wellington Motorway! :ride:

After a few months away our favourite lane-splitting motorcycle cop is now back on the beat, riding between Upper Hutt and Wellington from about 7.30 - 8.00 (give or take 10 minutes).

It's always a pleasure to see this guy on the road because he unfailing chooses the right path through the traffic, always happy to show us mere mortals the correct way to lane split, and never ceasing to pull over and ticket those fools who don't leave us enough room to pass.

Bless you 79UBA. We've missed ya... :first:

speedpro
19th August 2004, 19:58
i think thats the point, because the law doesnt define it accurately then its officers discretion. As an officer is a witness of the court (i.e thier testimony has more weight than other witnesses) if it came down to your word or his regarding the safety of an offence then plod will win. its a cruel world.
Actually the law is fairly precise about it. See Traffic Regulations 1976 -

TRAFFIC REGULATIONS 1976
PART 2 - DRIVING RULES

8. Overtaking
(1) No driver shall pass or attempt to pass on the left of another vehicle moving in the same direction unless:
(a) The movement can be made with safety and is made with due consideration for other users of the road; and
(b) Either
(i) The 2 vehicles are in different lanes; or
(ii) The overtaken vehicle is stationary or its driver has given or is giving the prescribed signal of his intention to turn to the right.

sAsLEX
19th August 2004, 20:30
(ii) The overtaken vehicle is stationary or its driver has given or is giving the prescribed signal of his intention to turn to the right.

but auckland drivers dont use these signals it speaks of

jrandom
19th August 2004, 20:40
While I'm here, I'd just like to give mad shoutoutz to the nice copper man with an ST1100 on the side of the northwestern motorway this evening who didn't come after me for my blatant and heinous crimes of filtration, even after the reflexive admission-of-guilt micro-stoppie I pulled to get back in traffic when I saw him. In fact, he even nodded and smiled. Awwwwww.

enigma51
19th August 2004, 21:46
The rule book is still a bit unclear though know is it saying that when ever the traffic is standing still I can weave between people on the motorway or is it saying that any cop that is pissed about being a traffic cop for the day can give you a fine when ever he wants too cause he can. I have a mate who just finish he's cop training and we had a good laugh about why some of the cops are real assholes when they are on traffic partol and from what he says there are the cops that gets scheduled to do it cause it is there time and for the more interesting reason the ones that have done something wrong or they plain assholes and like it.

enigma51
19th August 2004, 21:52
The bottom line is that there will always be some asshole out there that is going to be anal as well as some real nice guys. I think the main rule should be that you have to do what is safe and if that breaks the rule then so be it. As a biker you have to drive for you as well as the other car drivers.
YES MOM
It seems the older you get the more you preach!

marty
20th August 2004, 21:05
the rule book is very clear. in the absence of your new cop mate being able to explain it to you, if you pass a moving car on the left, and you are in the same lane as it is, then you are breaking the rules. if it is stopped, you aren't. if you pass a moving car on the right, and you are in the same lane as it is, then you are fine as long as you have 100m clear visibility, and it is made safely and with consideration. you would be well advised to avoid weaving through traffic, as other offences are identifiable (unsafe lane change, failing to indicate, inconsiderate riding etc)

speedpro
20th August 2004, 21:41
Funny the things you think about while dawdling along in AK traffic.

One of the rules is "(ii) The overtaken vehicle is stationary or its driver has given or is giving the prescribed signal of his intention to turn to the right."

As unlikely as it is to happen you could maintain that the cars you passed were "giving the prescribed signal of his intention to turn to the right". The law doesn't say that they have to be able to perform the turn to the right, just that they have to be signalling an intention.

The bit about safety will be hard to get around. My ticket states that the traffic was doing 15K and I was doing 25K. Mr tosser PC plod person maintained it was dangerous when I asked him after he'd written the ticket out and you know who's word will be taken in court if you went there.

marty
20th August 2004, 21:50
surely if it was dangerous you would have been charged with dangerous driving? maybe a letter to the bureau suggesting that your ticket should be waived as you do not appear to have been charged with the appropriate offence, would be in order.

speedpro
20th August 2004, 21:57
surely if it was dangerous you would have been charged with dangerous driving? maybe a letter to the bureau suggesting that your ticket should be waived as you do not appear to have been charged with the appropriate offence, would be in order.
The regulation 8-1-a says the overtaking has to be done safely.

Lou Girardin
21st August 2004, 07:46
The bit about safety will be hard to get around. My ticket states that the traffic was doing 15K and I was doing 25K. Mr tosser PC plod person maintained it was dangerous when I asked him after he'd written the ticket out and you know who's word will be taken in court if you went there.

If a 10 km/h speed differential is dangerous, that effectively makes ALL overtaking dangerous. Even passing stationary traffic.
Defend it!

scumdog
21st August 2004, 08:31
If a 10 km/h speed differential is dangerous, that effectively makes ALL overtaking dangerous. Even passing stationary traffic.
Defend it!

You're damn tootin' right ALL overtaking is dangerous! Haven't you had problems with cars pulling out without warning, vehicles coming out of driveways on your right, people putting there indicators on when you're just about alongside, cops suddenly appearing on the horizon when you've got 200+ on the speedo.........l

Lou Girardin
22nd August 2004, 17:26
All but the last one. Thank you Mike Valentine.

scumdog
22nd August 2004, 20:53
All but the last one. Thank you Mike Valentine.

Ain't it ironic that the one thing I mentioned that you have a "detector" so you can "protect" yourself from it is also the one least likely to kill you :msn-wink:

Lou Girardin
23rd August 2004, 19:51
Won't kill me, but could cause long term wallet damage.
Show me a ' cage driving moron' detector and I'll buy two. Till then I'll rely on experience. (Touch wood)