PDA

View Full Version : New Laws

beyond
30th December 2005, 17:05
Ok, read in the paper that the Police State is gearing up even more.

Seems funds must be dropping with everyone behaving themselves so to keep the "road taxes" flowing, the following changes are being brought in on January the 1st 2006.

The new blood alcohol limit is being dropped from 160 to 130.
The 50kmh over and lose your licence and have your vehicle impounded on the spot is being dropped to 40kmh over the speed limit :(

That means if you are blasting past a line of cage drivers and hit 140kmh in a 100kmh area or 110kmh in a 70kmh area it's $600 to $800 in fines, hand your keys over with instant licence loss for 28days, the vehicle gets towed away at your expense, impounded and 28days storage fees on top of that etc etc and of course the long walk home in all your gear.

froggyfrenchman
30th December 2005, 17:14
Oh well, i break their laws all the time, so whats a few more..

The consequences for speeding are pretty harsh though.

Time for a radar detector me thinks

madboy
30th December 2005, 17:17
Current breath alcohol is 400, blood is 80 I think. Can't remember the units of measure. I heard rumours they were proposing 50, but not sure if it went ahead.

41+ I heard was coming in on Jan 16.

But since I don't believe in being ticketed anyway (for anything) not much difference for me really. :chase:

avgas
30th December 2005, 17:23
So it looks like my new years resolution will have to change from "Be a good boy for another year..." to something with a piano hinge

hazard02
30th December 2005, 17:29
Time for a motorcycle hikoi in protest me thinks...

inlinefour
30th December 2005, 17:31
Won't be stopping for them from now on.:finger:

Scouse
30th December 2005, 17:33
hazard02Time for a motorcycle hikoi in protest me thinks...

Hikoi......Shmikoi

hazard02
30th December 2005, 17:43
Hikoi......Shmikoi

A couple thousand bikes parked outside parliament wouldn't go unheard (one hopes). Probably worth saving for a bigger issue though...

sedge
30th December 2005, 17:44
Um... If you're regularly doing 40k over and you don't have a radar detector you deserve all you get, similarly, if you don't see the cop and you're going that fast you're a dick, coz if you didn't see them you wouldn't have seen the feck in the ute pulling out by those bushes over there...

Plus, more importantly, they normally hang around guaranteed revenue sources like big straight busy roads and passing lanes, you should know that... And WTF are you doing on these on a bike, bikes are for corners.

Sigh.

I'd complain if I got YET ANOTHER ticket for doing 111, but not for doing 140-150.

Sedge.

froggyfrenchman
30th December 2005, 17:45
A couple thousand bikes parked outside parliament wouldn't go unheard (one hopes). Probably worth saving for a bigger issue though...

Would be heard if we ran our engines...;)

beyond
30th December 2005, 17:53
These days you are stuffed even with a detector.

They leave them off and use instant on a lot.
Hitting more than 140kmh on a nice long sweeper is real easy and if they come around another corner further away using instant on, you're stuffed even with a detector anyway.

Need a darn good detector and active radar jamming gear now.

Highlander
30th December 2005, 18:43
That means if you are blasting past a line of cage drivers and hit 140kmh in a 100kmh area or 110kmh in a 70kmh area it's $600 to $800 in fines, hand your keys over with instant licence loss for 28days, the vehicle gets towed away at your expense, impounded and 28days storage fees on top of that etc etc and of course the long walk home in all your gear.

How often do you see people doing 70 ish in a 30 Km temp zone - still 40 over.

Swoop
30th December 2005, 19:40
These days you are stuffed even with a detector.

They leave them off and use instant on a lot.
Hitting more than 140kmh on a nice long sweeper is real easy and if they come around another corner further away using instant on, you're stuffed even with a detector anyway.

Need a darn good detector and active radar jamming gear now.
The detector is to give you extra time to wind up to warp-speed 3 for runners...

spudchucka
30th December 2005, 20:11
Ok, read in the paper that the Police State is gearing up even more.

Seems funds must be dropping with everyone behaving themselves so to keep the "road taxes" flowing, the following changes are being brought in on January the 1st 2006.

The new blood alcohol limit is being dropped from 160 to 130.
The 50kmh over and lose your licence and have your vehicle impounded on the spot is being dropped to 40kmh over the speed limit :(

Partly right.

The alcohol limit remains the same (400 breath or 80 blood) but the threshold for instant licence removal is lowered from 800 to 600 (breath).

At the moment 51 kph above the posted speed limit will cost you your licence for 28 days and earn you a court appearance. There isn't any instant fine because the matter is going to court. As of 1 January the licence snatch threshold comes down to +41 kph. I don't know at this stage if there will still be an instant fine for up to +50 kph or if +41 kph will now equal a court appearance. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

There is no vehicle impoundment for basic speeding offences. The law says police MUST impound the vehicle when the driver is disqualified, forbidden to drive or suspended. The boy racer ammendments to the LTA give the police the option of impounding vehicles for boy racer offences. As far as I'm aware this doesn't change except for new powers to impound vehicles of recidivist drink drivers.

But of course you can avoid all this by simply not speeding or at least not being stupid enough to do it somewhere that you will get caught.

WINJA
30th December 2005, 20:18
won't be stopping for them from now on.:finger:
see this , even normal people are starting to do it my way

WINJA
30th December 2005, 20:20
i really gota back the pigs when it comes to enforcing lower breath alcohol limits , fucken drunks around my area are shocking

WINJA
30th December 2005, 20:23
partly right.

but of course you can avoid all this by simply not speeding or at least not being stupid enough to do it somewhere that you will get caught.
or dont stop , right bitch

StoneChucker
30th December 2005, 20:35
Shit, you can tell that I applied to join the police once, a fair while ago. That's because I really do shake my head (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=455445#post455445) reading people complaining about the lowering of alcohol limits, lowering of loss of licence speeds (although going too much below 40 will make overtaking rather risky if you're not observant) and having to pay fines etc...

What I WOULD like to see, is what would happen if EVERY person in NZ drove within the limits of the law for one whole year. What would the result of the huge loss of income be? I'm not convinced that NZ'ers would be praised and encouraged to keep it up. I do suspect that the limits/laws would be tightened further and further until that income which seems to be relied upon so heavily, resumes flowing...:pinch:

*EDIT* Obviously as you could deduce, I would be happy with a zero alcohol tolerance! And, I'm all for the impounding of cars under the boii racer act, ey! I really get annoyed at the continous abuse of rubber in my street, and around my area, I'm sure some of you feel the same. Yes once or twice I may have abused rubber, but not at 01:16 Sunday morning outside old Mrs Mabeline's house! There is a time and place for everything. Most people driving today, including me, do not have the required skill to drift around corners safely, on a track, let alone on public roads!!

Lou Girardin
31st December 2005, 07:56
Lowering the "walking speed" = lowering the "running speed".
Strange how pollies, cops etc don't think of this.
It'll be 130 next year.

R1madness
31st December 2005, 09:28
Oh well, i break their laws all the time, so whats a few more..

The consequences for speeding are pretty harsh though.

Time for a radar detector me thinks

Well dont buy a BEL. They are great until you need it serviced but then they say "oh you brought that off the net so we will not service it for ya. We dont care if you will pay it serves ya right."
Wankers. I will never buy any product from the BEL range now.

pritch
31st December 2005, 10:11
There is no vehicle impoundment for basic speeding offences.

I thought I heard Harry Duynhoven saying on the radio yesterday that 150K plus will mean impoundment.

Also Annette King has asked the Police to look at double demerit points on public holidays.

Nice roads we have here, shame about the politicians...

Sketchy_Racer
31st December 2005, 10:34
fucken hell!! im all for the tightening up of the alcohol limit, but the speed thing is just getting silly. The cops better be ready to have a shit load of runners, cause its gonna cost too much to stop!! i know im not gonna stop if i do manage to get my bike up to 140 LOL

Bren_chch
31st December 2005, 10:37
Won't be stopping for them from now on.:finger:

too fucken right!

i'm searching out some of that glass... it sits clear over ur plate, but as soon as u apply a small amount of voltage to it the glass goes fully black. :angry2:

Pixie
31st December 2005, 10:40
These initiatives are good,They will reduce the tragedy of deaths on our roads,which is by far the most important cause of death the population is exposed to.
The holiday road toll has reduced every year,without exception,and this is entirely due to the fine work our admired polititions and police management does on our behalf.

excuse me,I must go.A pig has just flown past the window.

onearmedbandit
31st December 2005, 10:42
Bren, I need one of those 'plate-protecters' as well, so if you have any luck let me know. Serious. Also might have to start riding with my armless left sleeve and glove attached to the bar. Not many onearmed gixxer riders in Christchurch to blend in with...

Bren_chch
31st December 2005, 10:48
HAHAHA!!!!!!

shit man, u been on the funny juice!

Yep, i got a mate finding a price... they use them on flash houses for windows, u can shade them to any darkness depending on the voltage, flash aye!

onearmedbandit
31st December 2005, 11:01
Hmmmm, flash!

Sniper
31st December 2005, 11:14
Yay, more rules. Well rules are meant to be .........

Sniper
31st December 2005, 11:17
Bren, I need one of those 'plate-protecters' as well, so if you have any luck let me know. Serious. Also might have to start riding with my armless left sleeve and glove attached to the bar. Not many onearmed gixxer riders in Christchurch to blend in with...

I would be keen to know about that glass too.

StoneChucker
31st December 2005, 11:51
I would be keen to know about that glass too.
Hey, can I use it to replace a cracked visor?:brick:
You know, one wonders why some vigilante doesn't go round an area with a strong ute, wrap a chain around fixed cameras and take off:motu: I've seen a couple that have been spraypainted black mind you.

Ixion
31st December 2005, 13:41
too fucken right!

i'm searching out some of that glass... it sits clear over ur plate, but as soon as u apply a small amount of voltage to it the glass goes fully black. :angry2:

I'd be interested in that . I'm more into dodging than outright running, but I'm getting bolshier every year this crap goes on.

Skyryder
31st December 2005, 17:36
What realy pisses me off is the whip round by the Labour MPs' to pay for the PM's convoy drivers. And when a Judge advises the civilian driver that he should appeal his conviction I am led to the conclusion that THERE IS ONE RULE FOR THE POLICE AND ANOTHER FOR THE REST OF US.

Skyryder

SPORK
31st December 2005, 17:55
Meh, I'm glad the alcohol limit is being lowered. That's a bigger threat than speed. At least most speeders stay on the road..

Phenoix
1st January 2006, 19:48
Meh, I'm glad the alcohol limit is being lowered. That's a bigger threat than speed. At least most speeders stay on the road..

I agree here.
Lowering the alchol was a much better idea.
Esp if you ever watch 60mins when they did the drunk driver test.
This chick went through nearly a whole bottle of wine, but was jus under the limit. But her driving was so bad.
The same applies to the male that did it aswell.

If one of the nice policeman would lean us a breatherliser, Im sure we could repeat the tests :beer:

spudchucka
2nd January 2006, 08:46
I thought I heard Harry Duynhoven saying on the radio yesterday that 150K plus will mean impoundment.

Also Annette King has asked the Police to look at double demerit points on public holidays.

Nice roads we have here, shame about the politicians...
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/legislation/land-transport-amdt-act/q-and-a.html#suspensionthresholds

The changes are detailed here. Go down to number 78.