PDA

View Full Version : Honestly some bikers must have S#!T for brains

Scouse
30th December 2005, 17:19
Driving northbound on the southern motorway this afternoon I saw something that no self respecting biker should do.
this motor cycle riding clown came onto the motorway at the Gillies Ave onramp clad in a helmet now thats a good start but it was all the way down hill from the helmet down because the next item of external clothing was a short sleeved T shirt bare arms totaly exposed. Next was short Pants Legs exposed. Last item Jandals. Notice no mention of basic stuff like gloves cause there was none worn. Now I supose you are thinking what motorcycle was this clown riding like a niffty 50....? Wrong try a ZX12R yep
So mister Green ZX12R you'll know who you are if you are one of us KB's, but I doubt that any of us are that stupid you are a stupid twat grow up. Hot weather is no excuse for not wearing protective gear and nether is lazy stupidity

robnz
30th December 2005, 17:22
damn. i can just picture the roadrash and broken bones.

madboy
30th December 2005, 17:23
I've really only got a problem with the jandals. Bad for control IMO, therefore increased risk of offing it. The rest, well not my cup of tea but each to their own I guess.

Zed
30th December 2005, 17:50
...from the helmet down because the next item of external clothing was a short sleeved T shirt bare arms totaly exposed. Next was short Pants Legs exposed. Last item Jandals.Seen that several times even lately, used to joke about it with people but have come to realise it's a fairly widespread dress standard unfortunately! If you can ride with full gears on all the time then all the power to you, but many of us don't gear up completely just to whip down to the shops or whatnot, but on the motorway? <-- dork! :blink:

froggyfrenchman
30th December 2005, 17:53
Read in a paper a month or so back, thay want to add jacket and gloves to the law as required gear next to helmet. Not a bad plan in my books

zadok
30th December 2005, 17:53
JANDALS:gob:

froggyfrenchman
30th December 2005, 17:54
thongs to you...

Scouse
30th December 2005, 18:19
froggyfrenchman thongs to you...

Toecheese cutters to you :-)

froggyfrenchman
30th December 2005, 18:23
Toecheese cutters to you :-)

They do their job well...

miSTa
30th December 2005, 18:24
I remember seeing several photos of people wearing jandals years ago and they all had one thing in common (aside from the jandals) - their feet were spilt in half by the thong.

skidMark
30th December 2005, 18:24
jandels on the motorway no gloves short t and pants.. hes gunna make a big mess does he have no concideration for the poor bugger who has to scrape whats left of him up with a spade?:gob:

and i must still stress get fully kitted up no matter how near or far your going doesnt matter if your going 100 metres or 100 kilometres if your not using motorway your still gunna be doing 50 kph....what so your close to home so your gunna get less injured at the same speed? :gob:

MA

froggyfrenchman
30th December 2005, 18:27
jandels on the motorway no gloves short t and pants.. hes gunna make a big mess does he have no concideration for the poor bugger who has to scrape whats left of him up with a spade?:gob:

and i must still stress get fully kitted up no matter how near or far your going doesnt matter if your going 100 metres or 100 kilometres if your not using motorway your still gunna be doing 50 kph....what so your close to home so your gunna get less injured at the same speed? :gob:

MA
bling awarded

Highlander
30th December 2005, 18:29
I heard of a guy riding a nifty in jandals and had to have one surgically removed from his foot. SPlit between big toe and second toe to about the middle of the foot.

Saw a girl in Tauranga clad similarly yesterday. Helmet, tank top, SHORT shorts and sandles (she looked good, but should have been on the beach, not riding down the road). The guy on the back of the bike was dressed much the same.

They didn't get a wave. I just shook my head.

The road is not much softer just because it is a beautiful day (other than the tar softening a little - just makes the stones stick to the skin better).

korowetere
30th December 2005, 18:52
Walking out of Amps the other day with an armful of protective gear I saw a plonker pulling away on a sportsbike with jandals, shorts and T-shirt.

And this evening, not five minutes ago, a numb-nuts just rode past my place on a pocket-bike (10in wheels!) wearing jandals, shorts, wifebeater and BARE HEAD. This on a 100km/h high speed road :eek5:

Even a rank newbie like me knows gear is cheaper than skin grafts. I'm happily sweating away in my Cordura.

skidMark
30th December 2005, 19:29
it also doesnt matter if youre on a scooter or a hyabusa at 50 k's if you fall off it aint gunna hurt anyless.

like this genious nice bike but he will be roadkill if he falls off.

oldrider
30th December 2005, 19:39
While I agree that their actions/behaviour is very foolhardy it is still their choice.
I am a great believer in freedom and freedom to choose for ones self.
I believe motorcycling is an expression of freedom.
I also believe that safety is an expression of experience of motorcycling.
I have seen so many disastrous injuries from a quick wee ride down to the dairy for some smokes etc where safety gear was not used, with terrible consequences.
I still do it now and then too but I feel very uncomfortable about it and these rides always seem to present an opportunity to really ride the limits or do something risky.
My generation didn't have to wear helmets and we didn't even have them in shops to buy, you could only buy them in through racing clubs. We were so silly about using them when they did become available too just because some prick made them compulsory. Rules bloody rules. Soon we wont be able to decide for ourselves when to breath eat fart or crap.
I have very good safety and weather protection gear and feel good riding in it and especially good for my passenger who has the same.
In summary of what I am trying to say, preserve our freedom to choose or we will loose our rights to ride motorcycles with or without safety gear.
Meanwhile try to make good choices. Cheers John.

White trash
30th December 2005, 19:46
Glad you didn't see me wheelieing down Neilson St in an HD shirt and jeans at lunch time. Then I would've been a dickhead too.

Swoop
30th December 2005, 19:54
Freedom of choice to all people. but the intelligent thing to do is to be able to walk away from an "off". Ask Hitcher if he would have chosen to wear less protective gear recently...

NordieBoy
30th December 2005, 19:55
Was in Singapore yesterday and every 3rd person is on a bike of some sort.
From scooters to GoldWings.
From barefoot/shorts/singlet/full face helmet on an 1100 to full (matching) leathers on a new ZXR.
The full leathers guy was the only person I saw with any type of protection other than a helmet.
Looks like Ghost Rider got his ideas from normal Singapore daily riding.

Waylander
30th December 2005, 20:51
Rode around town all day today in sneakers, jeans and a t-shirt. Too damn hot to wear the jacket. Don't like it? Ohwell my choice, I wear all the gear on long rides out of town.

skidMark
30th December 2005, 21:36
meet his friend genious number 2

2 little monkey's with no protective gear one fell off and wound up dead.

a witness called the ambo and the ambo said doctor doctor hes dead..1 more monkey riding with no portective gear

he fell off and wound up dead.

a witness called the ambo and the ambo said doctor doctor hes dead....no more monkey's riding with no gear.

:done:

ducatilover
30th December 2005, 21:58
personaly i am always going to wear full riding gear, knowing how i ride it helps a wee bit:slap:
http://www.funny-games.biz/videos/62-brand-new-bike.html

this guy has no gear, but, how the fuck can you be as retarded as to crash like that?:eyepoke:

inlinefour
31st December 2005, 00:35
Glad you didn't see me wheelieing down Neilson St in an HD shirt and jeans at lunch time. Then I would've been a dickhead too.

But considering your now on a Honda, you'd still be cool. :nya:

Whats with it with some people here??? Safety? FFS, if we was sooooooooooooooooooooooo anal retentive about safety, who would actually ride a bike???

Its not something I'd do, riding in jandels (don't own a pair), but the rider has broken no laws (of the land that is, not common sense). I do get a bit tired over all the hoola regarding people who ride without a full kit. We all make our own decisions and live with the consequences. Heck I even wear sports shoes on my way to work on the TT. Who wants to flame me over that?:finger:

Mrs Busa Pete
31st December 2005, 06:29
Could be they are all aussies as this is wide spread through sydney

Badcat
31st December 2005, 06:51

yep. . .

Badcat
31st December 2005, 06:58
Rode around town all day today in sneakers, jeans and a t-shirt. Too damn hot to wear the jacket. Don't like it? Ohwell my choice, I wear all the gear on long rides out of town.

when you've had a couple of serious bins, you'll possibly change your idea of adequate protection in the city. if not, serious injuries possibly won't change you much.
But, your choice, pal. Personal freedom and all that.

vs04
31st December 2005, 07:53
Crasy shit.How long has the helmet law been in?.I remember being in mass rally years ago, riding to parliament to protest against the law when it came in,there were hundreds of bikes, how dumb is that.:no:

Lou Girardin
31st December 2005, 08:10
Well I guess I'm gonna die painfully then, yesterday I rode an Ultra and a Road King wearing a shirt, shorts, trainers and NO helmet AND it was on the footpath.

PS Who gives a fat rats arse what people wear. Chill out people, there's worse things to have palpitations over.

Motu
31st December 2005, 08:35
I hate leather - when you iron them you can't get a nice crease to stay....it's soooo uncool not to have a nice straight crease down the front of your trou.

Waylander
31st December 2005, 09:59
when you've had a couple of serious bins, you'll possibly change your idea of adequate protection in the city. if not, serious injuries possibly won't change you much.
Have had a few serious bins already. Doesn't scare me. I'de even ride without a helmet if I could. But then I don;t ride like a lunitic when I'm not wearing my gear.

Bren_chch
31st December 2005, 10:20
Have had a few serious bins already. Doesn't scare me. I'de even ride without a helmet if I could. But then I don;t ride like a lunitic when I'm not wearing my gear.

Its not how u ride... its how others DRIVE!

Badcat
31st December 2005, 11:09

just checked your profile.
you're 22.

NhuanH
31st December 2005, 11:40
So you wear your secret invincibility vest all the time though, to keep your fear down?

Helmet, I guess with your choice of German infantry style helmut, going bare noggin won't be that much difference. Classic merkin "it's ma constitutional right Jethro". Darwinism is cool eh?

So when you do have your gear, you must ride like a lunatic then, cos how do you put a cruiser in a ditch??

SlowHand
31st December 2005, 13:37
But they stopped bullets in WW2 - thats how no one died, ever.

I like jandals, but only when Im doing Kung Foo, "The Beast" now he is the grand jandal foo master

Badcat
31st December 2005, 14:49

you are a gleaming example of natural selection at work.

marty
31st December 2005, 14:54
PS Who gives a fat rats arse what people wear. Chill out people, there's worse things to have palpitations over.

i reckon. some people need to get out more.

i tell you what though - i saw someone at mcdonalds eating 2 big macs the other day. what were the thinking? haven't they seen 'supersize me'?

dangerous stuff....

Swoop
31st December 2005, 16:29

i tell you what though - i saw someone at mcdonalds eating 2 big macs the other day. what were the thinking? haven't they seen 'supersize me'?

dangerous stuff....
Processed cheese, man!!!:shit:

Waylander
31st December 2005, 16:35
My choice peaple. And the bike ended up in the ditch cause it was either that or the side of a car and sliding along the road. Choice between that and nice soft long grass wich would you choose?

skidMark
31st December 2005, 17:02
My choice peaple. And the bike ended up in the ditch cause it was either that or the side of a car and sliding along the road. Choice between that and nice soft long grass wich would you choose?

Depends..., on how much desire to live that i have at that particular time

in seriousness ...ditch ...

as i had to do once luckily skidded to a hoult just before a big cliff and stayed on the bike .... curse the windys up in titirangi somewhere :angry:

Mr Skid
31st December 2005, 17:34
My choice peaple. And the bike ended up in the ditch cause it was either that or the side of a car and sliding along the road. Choice between that and nice soft long grass wich would you choose?I would choose not to try keeping pace with a sportsbike while riding a crusier.

John
31st December 2005, 18:50
I love riding in jandels, hell I think I am abit over confident though because I do the shirtless thing every so often, but its OK because I have a zx2r.

Waylander
31st December 2005, 18:52
I would choose not to try keeping pace with a sportsbike while riding a crusier.
That would be your choice then, and as I've said before I could have stayed right where I was but the cage driver decided he didn't want me to pass him and ran me off the road.

Ixion
31st December 2005, 19:22
Arguably, in the minds of many responsible and upstanding citizens (especially those who frame our laws) *ALL* bikers must have S#!T for brains, to ride those dangerous , socially irresponsible, unnecessary contraptions in the first place, instead of getting a nice safe sensible car, like all responsible and upstanding citizens . And responsible and upstanding citizens would be doing the bikers a big favour by supporting a law to ban the said contraptions altogether. Don't give them any more ammo folks (and you can scratch your heads over which side that puts me on )

Kornholio
31st December 2005, 20:06

Exactly.... the thought of road ripping the flesh off me again well and truly outweighs if Im going to get too hot and sweat a bit.

Each to their own tho but think of the guy that has to scrape you up tho...

froggyfrenchman
31st December 2005, 22:49
And the bike ended up in the ditch cause it was either that or the side of a car and sliding along the road. Choice between that and nice soft long grass wich would you choose?

I have had to make that choice once. its suprisingly easy to decide to drop your pride and joy into the ditch when theres two cars racing towards you taking up the whole road!

Deano
4th January 2006, 11:58
I would choose not to try keeping pace with a sportsbike while riding a crusier.

That sort of shannigans is usually reserved for people of WT's ability.

buellbabe
4th January 2006, 13:18
Seen that several times even lately, used to joke about it with people but have come to realise it's a fairly widespread dress standard unfortunately! If you can ride with full gears on all the time then all the power to you, but many of us don't gear up completely just to whip down to the shops or whatnot, but on the motorway? <-- dork! :blink:

Must admit I only don the full leather rig in deepest darkest winter but I am always in Helmet,Jkt, Gloves and boots.... Apart from ONE time 11 yrs ago. was just nipping around the corner to a mates place and was in jeans and singlet-top with no helmet or gloves.... yep fate stepped in and I came off and smashed up my femur(crutches for 6 mths! and permanent rod in my leg), was lucky to escape with just a small scar on my cheek....
Moral of the story: don't tempt fate
:doh:

Rincewind
4th January 2006, 15:02
If I get the chance to speak to anyone riding without suitable protective clothing I always ask them if they have ever fallen over at walking or running pace on a hard surface !!! OOHHH comming off a bike is so much more interesting at anything over 10 K .....and requires lots of antiseptic and plasters /bandages etc....than you carry in the house or the pocket of your shorts !

**R1**
4th January 2006, 15:49
who gives a shit what OTHER riders wear? if you were all so concerned you would wear a helmet while driving a car, full leathers while riding a pushbike, take the pill for anal, and steel caps for hopscotch....let people ride how they want, I ride my bike for fun, some ride for transport and some ride to look cool, each to their own, and if someone wants to ride in barefeet good on THEM, leave riders to their riding, and if some of you payed more attention to the road and less to what someone is wearing there might not be so many crashes in the first place....FFS get over IT!!!:whocares:

ktee
4th January 2006, 16:49
I have recently come back from a trip to LA California and I saw very little protective gear the whole time I was there.

Heaps of bikes and on the freeways going 130kph + but beyond a helmet, not much else .... gobsmacked I was but I come home with a new attitude.....

You can only worry about what you wear and let others worry about themselves .... everyone does it differently for all sorts of reasons and who am I to judge.

Cheers

Badcat
4th January 2006, 18:25
who gives a shit what OTHER riders wear? if you were all so concerned you would wear a helmet while driving a car, full leathers while riding a pushbike, take the pill for anal, and steel caps for hopscotch....let people ride how they want, I ride my bike for fun, some ride for transport and some ride to look cool, each to their own, and if someone wants to ride in barefeet good on THEM, leave riders to their riding, and if some of you payed more attention to the road and less to what someone is wearing there might not be so many crashes in the first place....FFS get over IT!!!:whocares:

not sure if you've been paying attention R1, but no-one has tried to stop anyone riding. i just think they are morons, that's all.
and if you ride like that' i think you're a moron too.
my right to free speach - as yours.
and get over yourself.

cowpoos
5th January 2006, 09:24
another ghey thread about people not wearing riding gear....

**R1**
5th January 2006, 10:55
not sure if you've been paying attention R1, but no-one has tried to stop anyone riding. i just think they are morons, that's all.
and if you ride like that' i think you're a moron too.
my right to free speach - as yours.
and get over yourself. yes i was paying attention, but by ridiculing what people choose to do/wear you may well stop them from riding or enjoying riding...and yes we all have freedom of speach but telling me to get over my self for voicing my opinion is a bit beyond freedom of speach...

buellbabe
5th January 2006, 11:10
its all about choices...
freedom of...
but personally it sends shivers up my spine when I see people riding in shorts and tshirt, it doesn't matter how brilliant a rider the person is, the danger is from everything else around them. yeah you can still get hurt in full leathers but ya don't get road-rash and ya got more chance of walking away...
That said... its all about personal choice!

cowpoos
5th January 2006, 11:26
re-read your original post where you said "FFS get over IT!!"
that's what i meant by get over yourself.
are you in auckland?
PM me and i'll give you my address.
you can come over and call me a cock to my face.

I'm hungery

loosebruce
5th January 2006, 14:59
I dont give too much to what other people wear, i wear a T shirt every now and then cause i cant be arsed getting me gear on, it's only an issue when you crash anyway (eh Death) and if i so happened to crash well i wouldn't bitch about it cause it's me own fault and i know full well the consequences, and i know full well how gear can help you i've been down the road at 180kph+ in full leather and walked away (but if i had to walk away on my hands i would've been fucked alright), just sometimes i choose not too, so what.

Kornholio
5th January 2006, 15:14
I dont give a shit anymore....go naked if ya want, just DONT get me started on putting forks into toasters :mad: :beer:

crazyxr250rider
5th January 2006, 16:53
And many do go naked especialy old men on triumphs(shivers coldly).........

Zed
5th January 2006, 18:59
And many do go naked especialy old men on triumphs(shivers coldly).........Where have you been hanging out?

Back to the point:

It's easy to say "i don't care what gear other peeps wear", but surely you guys would rather see someone walk away unscathed from a bin wouldn't you? or are you that cold??

I havn't always been "responsible" with wearing good gears, if it wasn't for another biker who commented on my wearing of jeans on a ride, I may have lost some skin by now!

buellbabe
6th January 2006, 06:07
I havn't always been "responsible" with wearing good gears, if it wasn't for another biker who commented on my wearing of jeans on a ride, I may have lost some skin by now!

Gotta admit i wear jeans in Summer and yeah I know its a risk ( bugger it I say! I refuse to swelter! ) but theres a BIG difference between THAT and wearing shorts or jandals don't ya fink?
:sweatdrop

Zed
6th January 2006, 06:15
...but theres a BIG difference between THAT and wearing shorts or jandals don't ya fink?
:sweatdropYou may loose slightly less skin if wearing jeans instead of shorts, but just think you could loose NO skin if wearing leather or cordura if you go for a low or high speed slide! :yeah:

buellbabe
6th January 2006, 06:24
ok Zed yr right but as Loose Bruce said, sometimes you just can't be farked and my choice to wear jeans on a hot summer day is just that- my choice. And I won't be blaming anyone but myself if I am unlucky enuf to lose some skin... c'est la vie!:sunny:

Zed
6th January 2006, 06:44
ok Zed yr right but as Loose Bruce said, sometimes you just can't be farked and my choice to wear jeans on a hot summer day is just that- my choice. And I won't be blaming anyone but myself if I am unlucky enuf to lose some skin... c'est la vie!:sunny:Sure, and our personal choices can change over time and through different experiences. I recently bought a pair of leather riding pants and not only do they feel great to wear but even on hot summer days they can be cooler than jeans cos they have ventilation holes through them and you can feel the cool wind on your thighs!! :spudbn:

buellbabe
6th January 2006, 06:52
Sure, and our personal choices can change over time and through different experiences. I recently bought a pair of leather riding pants and not only do they feel great to wear but even on hot summer days they can be cooler than jeans cos they have ventilation holes through them and you can feel the cool wind on your thighs!! :spudbn:

Oooh! Where can I get me some like that? The main reason I don't wear my leather trou is that they are now too big for me and I've already had them altered twice!

Zed
6th January 2006, 07:02
Oooh! Where can I get me some like that? The main reason I don't wear my leather trou is that they are now too big for me and I've already had them altered twice!Bought them thru one of our resident KB importers. Have sent u PM. :ride:

Kornholio
6th January 2006, 08:53
I used to wear Jeans all the time but after a lo-side that ground down half my leg I went straight to leather...no ifs, buts or maybe's

Flame on!!!!

scumdog
6th January 2006, 08:56
Oooh! Where can I get me some like that? The main reason I don't wear my leather trou is that they are now too big for me and I've already had them altered twice!

How come most other bikers leathers SHRINK as time goes by and yours get bigger??:wacko: :whistle:

buellbabe
6th January 2006, 09:00
I used to wear Jeans all the time but after a lo-side that ground down half my leg I went straight to leather...no ifs, buts or maybe's

Flame on!!!!

point taken however I was in jeans when I slid down the road under my bike and smashed into the kerb breaking my femur in 3 places. The jeans were barely scuffed and aside from the broken bone i lost no skin... I really don't think leather would have made a difference...
but yeah I do take yr point and I know I'm risking it by riding in jeans...
:innocent:

Aitch
6th January 2006, 09:02

noter! :rofl:

buellbabe
6th January 2006, 09:08
How come most other bikers leathers SHRINK as time goes by and yours get bigger??:wacko: :whistle:

Really? my experience has been that they tend to get baggy and theres also the fact that I have shrunk abit...

scumdog
6th January 2006, 09:34
Really? my experience has been that they tend to get baggy and theres also the fact that I have shrunk abit...

I'm a firm believer that hanging clothes etc in dark places makes 'em shrink!
(well, works for me) :doh: :weird: :crazy: :crazy:

buellbabe
6th January 2006, 09:44
I'm a firm believer that hanging clothes etc in dark places makes 'em shrink!
(well, works for me) :doh: :weird: :crazy: :crazy:

water follwed by heat made them shrink but it didn't take long for them to get baggy again. Me thinks the leather may just be an unsuitable grade for bike trou but they were bought from a Motorcycle shop! I give up, anyway I'm gonna get some new ones so blah!
:soon:

Rashika
6th January 2006, 14:51
water follwed by heat made them shrink but it didn't take long for them to get baggy again. Me thinks the leather may just be an unsuitable grade for bike trou but they were bought from a Motorcycle shop! I give up, anyway I'm gonna get some new ones so blah!
i love my leather trou... altho technically they are overalls/dungerees rather than trou, but they have a few advantages over trou i reckon.
1. I shrunk and they shrunk with me cos of the nice stretchy stuff on the sides. :Punk:
2. no need for race leathers (I was ever that way inclined!) as i can wear dungerees and jacket on track and be aye-okay! ;)

Haven't noticed too much bagginess, altho 1 size smaller would probably be good for me... better yet, even some FEMALE shaped ones, you know with hips and suchlike ...yeah that'd be cool! :woohoo:
one day... when I'm rich

Scouse
6th January 2006, 15:09

Motomail is the best place to get them they know how they should fit from new and will help you to choose the right size to stretch to your body shape

Rincewind
7th January 2006, 19:57

Point taken my fried end,but actually some of us do give a shit,and if one person is saved the pain and indignity of having the back of his hand skin grafted to his arse for a couple of months as a result of a few like minded people jawing about the consequences of riding in cotton and jangles then I would consider that all this jawing was worthwhile.....
Live long and Prosper !!!

BASS-TREBLE
5th June 2007, 16:02
http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html

If that doesn't put you of then to bad.

90s
6th June 2007, 16:29
I have posted on this topic before and riding without gear at any time is stupid.

Erm ... except that seems to be me in this recent picture.
Hey, its different in Rarotonga - the roads are softer! (holiday stupidity ...)

On the island there was a guy on a ZX10 riding around only in shorts - barefoot even. He caned it down the main drag one afternoon. He must be O with the cops because as far as I could tell he was the ONLY proper sports bike on the island!

Romeo
10th June 2007, 21:27
Hrm, I haven't read all the above posts, but I did see a bin yesterday outside the Wheatsheaf.

In the pub with the old man, over walks one of the hard bastards and strikes up a convo about how his brother's about to ride his Triumph Trophy home for him, for the first time ever. "Boy, if he whicks on all 180hp he'll know all about it!". And by this stage the brother has staggered himself over to the Trophy and is trying to find the fuel petcock. 1990's Arai lid and cigarette through the visor he starts it up, dumps the clutch (on the gravel parking lot) and with everybody laughing he pulls out onto the main road at 30kph+. Leans it over and grabs a handfull of gas - *vvvvvvvvVVVVVRR! ... sccchhhhh*. No one really seems concerned of course, after all he is wearing his jeans and sneakers. It slid for quite a wee way as well and he's lucky his foot didn't get between the bike and the road or it would have been goodbye foot. Long story short he wasn't hurt and rode off eventually after everyone went out and got the bike up.

The sad thing is that EVERYONE knew this guy was going to bin it, but did nothing... He was probably half pissed as well, let alone the fact that he'd never ridden that bike before. I wonder how often this sort of thing happens ;s.

Patrick
10th June 2007, 21:37
DARWIN....

Close, nearly got him, maybe next time?

Rashika
11th June 2007, 08:41
The sad thing is that EVERYONE knew this guy was going to bin it, but did nothing... He was probably half pissed as well, let alone the fact that he'd never ridden that bike before. I wonder how often this sort of thing happens ;s.
so you were there and didn't do anything either?
Doesn't that make you just as bad as the others?
If I saw a mate try and get on a bike half pissed I would try and get them to rethink, but I'm guessing that I prob wouldn't if it was some tosser who clearly wasn't gonna listen.
Some people you just cant tell anything to... after all they are all just dumb arsed bikers anyway :shutup:

...so when are you getting a bike and can talk about stuff like this on the forum like a real biker?

Mr. Peanut
11th June 2007, 08:52
Read in a paper a month or so back, thay want to add jacket and gloves to the law as required gear next to helmet. Not a bad plan in my books

Oh great, less freedom.

Maybe I would like to go down to the shops on a sunny day in my t-shirt and jeans. If I can handle that on a bicycle I can handle it on a bike.

Give me personal choice and personal responsibility any day.

Rashika
11th June 2007, 08:55
Oh great, less freedom.

Maybe I would like to go down to the shops on a sunny day in my t-shirt and jeans. If I can handle that on a bicycle I can handle it on a bike.

I'm guessing you would probably still put your helmet on for both huh? ...or Not?

buellbabe
11th June 2007, 08:56
I have seen someone get plastered up at Puhoi and as I was leaving I said to one of his mates " hope someone else is gonna ride his bike home ".
The look I got was withering to say the least...
Jeez...with mates like that...

Mr. Peanut
11th June 2007, 09:01
I'm guessing you would probably still put your helmet on for both huh? ...or Not?

Only because it's the law. Doing anything carries a risk, it should be up to me and not a government department to manage that risk.

If you so willingly give away your freedom, think what else they might see fit to take. It'll be fluro-vests next.

No more wearing that dangerous black leather...

buellbabe
11th June 2007, 09:06
Oh great, less freedom.

Sure, saying you take personal responsibility is one thing but its ACC that will be footing the bills for your skingrafts etc...and that translates to all bikers being penalised with outrageous ACC levies in our Reo fees.

Speaking from personal experience here... just nipped around the corner to a mates place, no jacket, no gloves and even NO helmet...YEAH I KNOW I WAS MONUMENTALLY STOOPID but I was young and bullet-proof at the time...(12 yrs ago)
Anyway the upshot was 6 mths on crutches and bloody lucky it was my leg that hit the kerb and not my head!

Mr. Peanut
11th June 2007, 09:12
ACC levies are going to go up regardless. Such is the nature of beuacracy. Fact is, I don't want the pain in the arse of putting on a jacket and gloves every time I want to do a plug chop, or go around to the shops.

I live in a quiet area, and I'm fully aware of the risk I'm taking (very small). Why should I be made a criminal?

Need I remind you, we are all having to start on expensive 250cc bikes, based on a law that has no place in reality (like power to weight ratios).

So you hurt your leg, lesson learnt. Would you do it again? No, and that's personal choice.

Rashika
11th June 2007, 09:14
Only because it's the law. Doing anything carries a risk, it should be up to me and not a government department to manage that risk.

If you so willingly give away your freedom, think what else they might see fit to take. It'll be fluro-vests next.

No more wearing that dangerous black leather...

only cos its the law..... :killingme yeah just like I always ride at 100km, ONLY COS ITS THE LAW... and no-one should be drinking and driving , cos its the law.

I hate to be a stick in the mud but laws are there to be broken, and people will break em until the general community decides enough is enough, and actually start ostracising those who do. Speed is one that will always be a problem, saying what people can wear on a bike just a wee bit less so. :innocent:

Each individual should decide what they can wear, but as we know a few people are so dumb they HAVE to be told... :yes: and some just haven't yet had the luck of learning by experience of what an off can do to ya... yet.
Freedom is one thing, us having to pay for their idiotic mistakes is another.

I'm happy enough to use a helmet,(keeps my head warm), ride in my leathers, (keeps me warm) black or whatever... will always ride with my light on, and may even break some speed laws from time to time, but I aint wearing no stinking flouro vest. :angry:

Mr. Peanut
11th June 2007, 09:18
A lack of helmet is somewhat visible, and I don't want to get pulled over.

Perhaps we should ban rugby. Terribly dangerous sport, people getting hurt all the time.

Maybe the All Blacks should be wearing leathers, a helmet, and fluro vests so they don't hurt themselves?

Rashika
11th June 2007, 09:20
ACC levies are going to go up regardless. Such is the nature of beuacracy. Fact is, I don't want the pain in the arse of putting on a jacket and gloves every time I want to do a plug chop, or go around to the shops.

I live in a quiet area, and I'm fully aware of the risk I'm taking (very small). Why should I be made a criminal?

Need I remind you, we are all having to start on expensive 250cc bikes, based on a law that has no place in reality (like power to weight ratios).

So you hurt your leg, lesson learnt. Would you do it again? No, and that's personal choice.
umm no-one says you have to start riding on an expensive 250cc bike, they do come in smaller sizes you know.
But I guess being a bloke you always want the biggest you can get huh? :shutup:

I will always ride with at least jacket, jeans, helmet, boots and gloves... anything less is just stoopid. But I guess having riden for a few years i have figured out that that small 5 min blat can sometimes do more damage than a 5 hour ride.
Hopefully it is something that in time, you will figure out too

and DONT start calling me old... :innocent:

Rashika
11th June 2007, 09:25
A lack of helmet is somewhat visible, and I don't want to get pulled over.

Perhaps we should ban rugby. Terribly dangerous sport, people getting hurt all the time.

Maybe the All Blacks should be wearing leathers, a helmet, and fluro vests so they don't hurt themselves?

hell yeah, hate the fukn game... :shutup:

but one thing you forget is rugby players (general not the paid ones) DONT pay ACC to play their game, neither to horseriders and they both account for way more costs to ACC than motorcyclists, but US they can get their pound of flesh from by charging more. So I guess it pays to protect ourselves as much as practically possible, not to mention that taking of ya skin in an accident would hurt ( I can imagine, dont wanna find out)

its been fun but time to do the sensible shit and get some groceries ;)

Mr. Peanut
11th June 2007, 09:28
You women are insufferable! (you're the one that brought sex into it...) Perhaps you should all be driving corollas.

Have you seen the Australian learner system, heap's of learner friendly motorcycles at capacity's up to 650cc. This means you'll have a greater market, and thus cheaper bikes. And because the engines are bigger, they're understressed and last longer.

I've crashed on motorcycles and pushys, both without gear, and you know what did the most damage? The pushy of course! My motorcycle's fairings left me pretty much intact (new tires).

Did I go wailing into a hospital? No! I wasn't going fast, so I picked my bike up and rode home.

Romeo
11th June 2007, 09:39
so you were there and didn't do anything either?
Doesn't that make you just as bad as the others?
If I saw a mate try and get on a bike half pissed I would try and get them to rethink, but I'm guessing that I prob wouldn't if it was some tosser who clearly wasn't gonna listen. I don't really think it's my position to be telling a group of leather clad hard-bastards what to do. After all I'm just a 20 year old driving a bright yellow car, not exactly a position of authority within that section of biker world ;s. Blame the archaic culture tbh.

...so when are you getting a bike and can talk about stuff like this on the forum like a real biker? I'm not sure if that's an insult or not, I get that kind of thing a lot unfortunately ;s. But I'm getting a bike in about 12 months when I can afford it :].

Rashika
11th June 2007, 17:26
You women are insufferable! (you're the one that brought sex into it...) Perhaps you should all be driving corollas.
nah mate, quite happy riding the Buell

Have you seen the Australian learner system, heap's of learner friendly motorcycles at capacity's up to 650cc. This means you'll have a greater market, and thus cheaper bikes. And because the engines are bigger, they're understressed and last longer.
not sure how this comes into this thread? totally diff topic and one I most def concur with ya on

I've crashed on motorcycles and pushys, both without gear, and you know what did the most damage? The pushy of course! My motorcycle's fairings left me pretty much intact (new tires).

Did I go wailing into a hospital? No! I wasn't going fast, so I picked my bike up and rode home.
guess the obvious thing is you weren't going fast... what if a car had hit you and they were?

I don't really think it's my position to be telling a group of leather clad hard-bastards what to do. After all I'm just a 20 year old driving a bright yellow car, not exactly a position of authority within that section of biker world ;s. Blame the archaic culture tbh.
no you probably shouldn't be telling anyone on a bike what to do if you haven't been there yourself. Me... well if I knew the guys/gals well I may have a quiet word with them

I'm not sure if that's an insult or not, I get that kind of thing a lot unfortunately ;s. But I'm getting a bike in about 12 months when I can afford it :].
not an insult just the same as above... cant or shouldn't say anything if you haven't done it.
Maybe when you have been riding for a few years you could then share some of your own experiences, till then best to look and listen... and watch some other so-called knowledgeble people fk it up at times (that way maybe you wont...at least thats what i try to do). Good luck getting the bike when you are able to ;)

Patrick
11th June 2007, 21:16
Been said before but... No gear = no ACC perhaps???

scumdog
11th June 2007, 21:21
I don't really think it's my position to be telling a group of leather clad hard-bastards what to do. After all I'm just a 20 year old driving a bright yellow car, not exactly a position of authority within that section of biker world ;s. Blame the archaic culture tbh.

I'm not sure if that's an insult or not, I get that kind of thing a lot unfortunately ;s. But I'm getting a bike in about 12 months when I can afford it :].

20 years or not, if you had a conscience and a pair of balls you WOULD have said SOMETHING loud about the situation - I know I did 'in the day'.

Got the scars to prove it - and the clear conscience too

Romeo
11th June 2007, 21:33
Great, I've got one person telling me to "stay out of it because I don't know what I'm talking about", and another person telling me I'm a soft cock :shutup:. I'm supposed to walk up to a complete stranger and take his keys off him? Whilst everyone else is milling around supporting him in his effort?

I have NOTHING to do with a culture which accepts and glorifies retarded behaviour - and I don't drink for this very reason. If these people think it's a laugh to down a few beers and ride around on unfamiliar bikes then that doesn't really affect me. But if it's my family or friends in "the other vehicle" then it does become my problem - but what can I realistically do about that.

Rashika
12th June 2007, 05:04
Great, I've got one person telling me to "stay out of it because I don't know what I'm talking about", and another person telling me I'm a soft cock :shutup:. I'm supposed to walk up to a complete stranger and take his keys off him? Whilst everyone else is milling around supporting him in his effort?
life a bitch eh? too many people telling you what to do... ;)
decide for yourself and the situation. I wouldn't approach a group if drunk sportsdicks if I didn't know them, bikers I knew, well that could be a different situation... maybe. Whats the difference? Anyone drunk could be a dangerous (so can those who aren't for that matter), whether they wear leather or not.

I have NOTHING to do with a culture which accepts and glorifies retarded behaviour
unfortunately we all do, we live in it daily, whether or not we drink is irrelevant... we live with those who do behave badly, and in all seriousness as a cummunity, do bugger all about it.

- and I don't drink for this very reason. If these people think it's a laugh to down a few beers and ride around on unfamiliar bikes then that doesn't really affect me. But if it's my family or friends in "the other vehicle" then it does become my problem - but what can I realistically do about that.
thats where its up to you to be their conscience.. they may not like it and may ridicule you like Buellbabe, but it may one day save their life

Rashika
12th June 2007, 05:14

sigh... a nice thought, but then we prob WOULD get into the arguement of what qualifies for being 'gear' :yes:

it funny which threads just keep popping up again and again...

Patrick
12th June 2007, 14:48
sigh... a nice thought, but then we prob WOULD get into the arguement of what qualifies for being 'gear' :yes:

it funny which threads just keep popping up again and again...

True, but T shirt, shorts and jandals aint "gear"....

Common sense surely... wait... common sense, on here??? I need a lie down!!

Scouse
12th June 2007, 14:55
Fuckin what a thread dredge this I was the very first thead that i Launched onto this community with good to see some people are making use out of it

buellbabe
12th June 2007, 15:04
I aint wearing no stinking flouro vest. :angry:

Yeah I have always felt the same about them but the other night while trapped in my car on the motorway I watched a bike go past. The rider was wearing a fluoro vest and man! was he ever visible!

I actually thought to myself...ok maybe I will get one for those dark 6am winter mornings cos my helmet is black, my leather is black and my bike is black... maybe...

Kornholio
12th June 2007, 15:13
Yeah I have always felt the same about them but the other night while trapped in my car on the motorway I watched a bike go past. The rider was wearing a fluoro vest and man! was he ever visible!

I actually thought to myself...ok maybe I will get one for those dark 6am winter mornings cos my helmet is black, my leather is black and my bike is black... maybe...

And your headlight is........

Maha
12th June 2007, 15:15
Fuckin what a thread dredge this I was the very first thead that i Launched onto this community with good to see some people are making use out of it

Yeah some people will dragg up any ole' shit aye?
And looking back at some of the names Steve....:gob: a handfull have gone now..
A few of us joined around the same date...you/me/the Busa's to name a few

buellbabe
12th June 2007, 15:17

not that visible when you are driving in a car BEHIND a bike and not really paying attention cos you are too busy txting or whatever car drivers do... LOL

buellbabe
12th June 2007, 15:20
Yeah some people will dragg up any ole' shit aye?
And looking back at some of the names Steve....:gob: a handfull have gone now..
A few of us joined around the same date...you/me/the Busa's to name a few

So what?

Its still a topical thread and provides food for thought.:yes:

Maha
12th June 2007, 15:30
So what?

Its still a topical thread and provides food for thought.:yes:

Steve will understand how my post was intended, i dont hold out hope for everyone. And of cause!....most threads will benefit someone somehow.

Kornholio
12th June 2007, 16:24
not that visible when you are driving in a car BEHIND a bike and not really paying attention cos you are too busy txting or whatever car drivers do... LOL

Lol true that :)

Waylander
12th June 2007, 16:25
Lol true that :)
Is what yourbrake light is for.

Fixed yours yet?

scumdog
12th June 2007, 17:29

Not working 'cos the bulb blew - and you blithely ride along assuming it's still going....

carver
12th June 2007, 17:43
Driving northbound on the southern motorway this afternoon I saw something that no self respecting biker should do.
this motor cycle riding clown came onto the motorway at the Gillies Ave onramp clad in a helmet now thats a good start but it was all the way down hill from the helmet down because the next item of external clothing was a short sleeved T shirt bare arms totaly exposed. Next was short Pants Legs exposed. Last item Jandals. Notice no mention of basic stuff like gloves cause there was none worn. Now I supose you are thinking what motorcycle was this clown riding like a niffty 50....? Wrong try a ZX12R yep
So mister Green ZX12R you'll know who you are if you are one of us KB's, but I doubt that any of us are that stupid you are a stupid twat grow up. Hot weather is no excuse for not wearing protective gear and nether is lazy stupidity

stunt points mate..he is trying to max em out

avgas
12th June 2007, 17:53
like this genious nice bike but he will be roadkill if he falls off.
With pretty shoes like that it doesnt look like he is far off the mark already

Rashika
13th June 2007, 06:50
Not working 'cos the bulb blew - and you blithely ride along assuming it's still going....

thats why I have the second headlight on my bike, painted on... :yes:
you must admit SD, the big white patch on the front (and rear too actually) does get noticed.

but yeah in those dark mornings a fluoro might actually be a good idea, guess thats why i wear one on the pushie at 5.30am

scumdog
13th June 2007, 09:59
thats why I have the second headlight on my bike, painted on... :yes:
you must admit SD, the big white patch on the front (and rear too actually) does get noticed.

but yeah in those dark mornings a fluoro might actually be a good idea, guess thats why i wear one on the pushie at 5.30am

And that's why I have those annoying little spotlights on my bike.,(tuned off at night though) to increase visibility.:yes:

wybmadiity
13th June 2007, 10:11
Is what yourbrake light is for.

Most bikes I have followed have a tail light too.... you don't even need to brake :dodge:

buellbabe
13th June 2007, 10:32
Saw a lone bike at 6am this morning and the tail-light was the ONLY thing visible...I noticed it cos I always look for bikes but there are an awful lot of car drivers out there that just have one big prmanent blind spot when it comes to bikes...

Swoop
13th June 2007, 12:39
Making people responsible for their own decisions??
In New Zealand???:rofl:

(I like the idea though)

Rashika
13th June 2007, 13:12
Saw a lone bike at 6am this morning and the tail-light was the ONLY thing visible...I noticed it cos I always look for bikes but there are an awful lot of car drivers out there that just have one big prmanent blind spot when it comes to bikes...

so opinions out there... is a flashing light more noticeable than a constant light? I think so, so I usually have my pushie lights flashing... but what do others think?

ambler
13th June 2007, 19:17
Definitely a flashing light is more noticeable than a constant one.
I've seen a lot of cars and bicycles around with 'day-lights' which is a good compromise between the flashing pushie lights you are talking about, and a constant light. They are LED types which pulsate at around 20 times per second or something, which gives a buzzing kind of effect, quite noticeable in the peripheral vision but not as annoying as a slower on/off flash. I found a place selling them for cars, but at $100 I suspect the ones people have on their pushbikes are something else... next time I see a cyclist with them I'll have to ask where they got theirs.

wybmadiity
15th June 2007, 10:47
Definitely a flashing light is more noticeable than a constant one.
I've seen a lot of cars and bicycles around with 'day-lights' which is a good compromise between the flashing pushie lights you are talking about, and a constant light. They are LED types which pulsate at around 20 times per second or something, which gives a buzzing kind of effect, quite noticeable in the peripheral vision but not as annoying as a slower on/off flash. I found a place selling them for cars, but at $100 I suspect the ones people have on their pushbikes are something else... next time I see a cyclist with them I'll have to ask where they got theirs.

Any old store that sells pushbikes will (should) have them.

LXS
23rd June 2007, 23:28

dangerous stuff....

hahaha, yep good point sir

swbarnett
24th June 2007, 22:57

Surely we all have a vested interest in maintaining freedom of thought? Personally, I'd do away with ACC levies all together and take it out of income tax. We all benefit from a free society and should all bear the cost.

How about compulsory health insurance? This is how it's done in Switzerland, everyone pays the same regardless of what you drive or what sport you play (and those who can't afford it get it paid for by the government).

swbarnett
24th June 2007, 23:04

Hear, hear!

I may disagree with your choice of gear for a given ride but whether I do or not is irrelevant. It's your personal safety so it's your choose. I for one will gladly pay a little extra so that you (and I) can make our own choices.

Rashika
25th June 2007, 08:04
Surely we all have a vested interest in maintaining freedom of thought? Personally, I'd do away with ACC levies all together and take it out of income tax. We all benefit from a free society and should all bear the cost.

this little bit about "All bearing the cost" bugs me... how do those who dont work, or dont pay car reg etc bear any of the cost? I dont see reg numbers painted on horses rear ends, so one assumes they dont pay a tax but do get a benefit? neither do those who mountain bike, play sports etc. Not saying they shouldn't be covered but how do they personally pay the same as those who may have several motorbikes and /or cars but can only ride one at a time, pay?
The only ones who bear the costs are the ones who can afford it, the others are just along for the ride.

swbarnett
25th June 2007, 13:52
this little bit about "All bearing the cost" bugs me... how do those who dont work, or dont pay car reg etc bear any of the cost?

There are two groups here - those that are two young to work and those who can't work through sickness or just the lack of work available.
The first group pays via their parents, the second group may not be paying financially but are paying by having a reduced standard of living (the dole and sickness benefits are not large).

Taking levies of vehicle registration would spread the cost across more people. Those that only use the bus would then bear some of the cost for example.

I dont see reg numbers painted on horses rear ends, so one assumes they dont pay a tax but do get a benefit? neither do those who mountain bike, play sports etc. Not saying they shouldn't be covered but how do they personally pay the same as those who may have several motorbikes and /or cars but can only ride one at a time, pay?

Presumeably most of them have a job? That's why removing the levies would be fairer. And no levy would mean the number of vehicles you own would be irrelevant.

The only ones who bear the costs are the ones who can afford it

Do you want to return to the days of flat taxes irrespective of your ability to pay?

, the others are just along for the ride.

If you can't afford to contribute financially to society's costs I don't think it would be a pleasant ride.

Rashika
25th June 2007, 17:36
There are two groups here - those that are two young to work and those who can't work through sickness or just the lack of work available.
The first group pays via their parents, the second group may not be paying financially but are paying by having a reduced standard of living (the dole and sickness benefits are not large).
and then there are those who dont own cars... and there are more and more of those these days. If it is so fair that the vehicle owners bear the brunt why do motorcyclists pay 30% more in vehicle reg? Cos we have to bear the cost of injuries to MC's even tho many are caused by car drivers at fault ....yadayada... another thread ;)

Presumeably most of them have a job? That's why removing the levies would be fairer. And no levy would mean the number of vehicles you own would be irrelevant.
removing levys would be fairer, but it aint gonna happen, nice thought tho :yes:

If you can't afford to contribute financially to society's costs I don't think it would be a pleasant ride.
Unfortunately for many of our society, it is not such a bad one.

swbarnett
25th June 2007, 17:47
If it is so fair that the vehicle owners bear the brunt why do motorcyclists pay 30% more in vehicle reg? Cos we have to bear the cost of injuries to MC's even tho many are caused by car drivers at fault ....yadayada... another thread ;)

Totally agree, the apportion of levies is totally inequable.

removing levys would be fairer, but it aint gonna happen, nice thought tho :yes:

We can but hope...

Unfortunately for many of our society, it is not such a bad one.

Maybe this also needs to be addressed. Those on social welfare need incentives to get off it.

loneranger
25th June 2007, 18:00
all the gear, all the time, no excuses!

Rashika
25th June 2007, 20:13
Maybe this also needs to be addressed. Those on social welfare need incentives to get off it.

we could solve the problems of the world on this forum sometimes... now just how do we get those who can actually change shit to read it? :innocent:

steveb64
22nd October 2007, 13:09
Where have you been hanging out?

Back to the point:

It's easy to say "i don't care what gear other peeps wear", but surely you guys would rather see someone walk away unscathed from a bin wouldn't you? or are you that cold??

Actually, jeans make quite good skid resistance! Tested by myself on a couple of occasions - once on the Maungamukas (Nth Aklnd) when I dropped my GSX1100 - ended up sliding up the road for 50 meters or so, in a cloud of sparks and engine bits, trying to hold the bike up so it didn't bend the crank. Wearing jeans (Levis), and a fiberpile (woolly sort of stuff) ski suit thing over the jeans - and a leather jacket. Ski suit bits were well shredded, jeans had a little hole in the hip area. Not a scratch on me. Then I was digging in the drain to get some dirt out to try and cover the oil all over the road (didn't want to take out any other bikes because of it...), and hit some busted glass, and sliced the side of my finger open. :mad: 1 stitch, no needles...

About that time, one of my Aunts was an ambo driver down Kawerau way - she also commented on having picked up a number of bikers over the years who'd done the big slide up the road in jeans - with surprisingly little damage! Even less if they were wearing two pairs!:2thumbsup

Personally - I now use cowhide. Even when it's hot - it's still not as hot as it gets sliding on tar without it.:whistle:

But I've also been down at the other end of the spectrum - due to youth, and insufficient funds... Still NEVER out in T-shirt or thongs tho! If it's hot, a large jacket will let plenty of breeze through - and I saw some of those jandal/thong piccies mentioned earlier. Put me right off wearing them anywhere near a bike. One guy was only doing 30k's or so, put his foot down, jandal stopped, foot didn't. Made a wishbone of it. :(

steveb64
22nd October 2007, 13:44
Taking levies of vehicle registration would spread the cost across more people. Those that only use the bus would then bear some of the cost for example.

Simple - remove the ACC levies from the rego system.
Tally up the costs of injuries from ALL users of petrol/diesel - i.e. Chainsaw injuries, boating injuries, car-bike-bus crashes, go-karts, lawn mowers, farm tractors, .... and add it ALL to fuel levies.
SO WHAT if the price of gas goes up another 10c a litre - it's going to anyway - prolly more than 10c too.:soon: And it may help the environment - higher fuel costs = people trying to use less of it...

Of course, that wouldn't penalise one group of the population... US!

canarlee
22nd October 2007, 23:49

you sir/madam must tomorow wear a thong and bra and stand outside your local pak n save from the hours of 6am and 9pm without a break.

is that ok?

hmm, i didnt think so.

you dont like being told what to wear and when so what gives you the right to tell others what to wear and when?

Badcat
23rd October 2007, 06:20
some of the replies here illustrate the thread title so well.

ken

Rashika
23rd October 2007, 07:49
you sir/madam must tomorow wear a thong and bra and stand outside your local pak n save from the hours of 6am and 9pm without a break.

is that ok?

hmm, i didnt think so.

you dont like being told what to wear and when so what gives you the right to tell others what to wear and when?

hmmm will I get paid heaps for doing it?

another 2 year old thread revived :rolleyes:

sunhuntin
23rd October 2007, 13:30
i live in jeans... sometimes i will wear leather pants over the top, but it takes about half an hour to put the damn things on over jeans, and the same to take em off.

if its warm enough, i will ride in a tshirt with the sleeves rolled up. ive arsed off once in jeans, cowboy boots and a singlet and open faced lid. my upper body: small knick in my thumb. [no gloves] lower body: both knees fucked for life, and major scarring on lower left leg. scar hurts like shit at the slightest pressure [leaning on a ladder rung, even a petrol hose resting on it] boots saved my ankle though. the result, i think, would have been the same for my legs no matter what i was wearing. btw, my jeans are poked.

Machiavelli
23rd October 2007, 23:28
http://www.funny-games.biz/videos/62-brand-new-bike.html

this guy has no gear, but, how the fuck can you be as retarded as to crash like that?:eyepoke:

LOL that was freakin hillarious man. I guess... well... some people need a little bit more practice on motorbikes than others.

There's no way in hell I'm gonna let one of my knobbish friends take my bike for test ride if they're got no riding experience. Not, at least, when I get something with more guts than my Ginny.

Machiavelli
24th October 2007, 00:05

some of the replies here illustrate the thread title so well

Agreed, Badcat.

I think the basic fact of reality is that nobody can *make* anybody do or wear anything - and nobody on this thread who is suggesting it might be wiser to wear decent gear while riding believes this is anything more than a point of view.

Nobody is trying to be motorcycle nazi's and ruin everyone's day by introducing more of those nasty 'rules', or lobbying the government to pass bills making flouro vests and nametags that say, "Hi I'm a sissy", mandatory for all bikers.

All anyone is saying is that you can't PLAN to avoid crashes, that's why they call them 'accidents' and not 'intentionals'. In that case, when some cager eventually DOES run your sorry arse over, it'd be a whole lot more intelligent to walk away with skin still on you than play 'guess the sandpaper grade' with the asphalt.

Personally, all the people hellbent on activating their invisible super-invincibility auras instead of wearing motorcycle clothing encourage me. Statistically, I now realise I've got a lot less chance of maiming myself than I thought I had since I seem to be in the top fraction of people that prefer safety over convenience.

Yurr, personal freedom rulez! :headbang:

unhingedlizard
24th October 2007, 11:54
To true. Anyone wearing less than good gear even going to the shops needs to know what it feels like to have 30mph gravel SCRUBBED from your leg.