View Full Version : Classics

froggyfrenchman
30th December 2005, 18:08
So, who here owns a classic bike?

What is it?
Does it have any interesting history?
Do you keep it legal?
Do you ride it often?

I have a '51 Triumph Thunderbird, love it to bits. I dont ride it as much as i want to because my knoledge of pre-unit brittish bikes is pretty lacking and i dont own any whitworth tools.
Sorry, i dont have any electronic pics of it, but if anyone was at the cold duck this year, i was there on it, if you have a pic please post.

Are any of you classic owners young like me? At 19, i get some pretty funny looks when i pull up anywhere on it, and dont know any other young classic owners.

Motu
30th December 2005, 18:33
I stopped riding ''classics'' when they became trendy,or atleast the guys who rode them in the day had the money and lesure time to buy and restore them,parts prices skyrocketed.I rode them because they were cheap,and parts were everywhere and cheap as well - we very seldom bought parts,just swapped them...like a BSA gearbox was a good swap for a Triumph crankshaft.I know my way around a pre unit T'Bird pretty well if you need to ask questions.

I sold my 1971 Yamaha XS1,the first XS650,last year - a luverly old rat,but I just didn't use it,and to me bikes are to use,not mould down the back like the other 5 I have lying around.My next classic would be a new Indian Enfield - I don't mind the work of pulling it apart and putting back together properly,but at least there won't be 40 years of other peoples abuse to sort out as well.

froggyfrenchman
30th December 2005, 18:37
Ive been thinkin bout getting a new Enfield too, classic bike without the classic wear..
Will keep you in mind if i have any trumpy probs, was good and confused a while back when the fibre advance/retard gear gave up and stripped. I made my own out of a spare idle gear and got her purring again. Eat your heart out Edward Turner!

nudemetalz
30th December 2005, 18:37
I have a 1963 Yamaha YG-1 which I call "Uma".
It's all complete and in relatively good condition. I will restore it fully one day,...I will,...I will....:yes: .

froggyfrenchman
30th December 2005, 20:55
I will,...I will....:yes: .
A feeling i know all too well

TLDV8
30th December 2005, 21:21
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-43679477.htm

Brian d marge
30th December 2005, 21:51
I have an 500 Enfield for a few years now. Have spent a few hours looking at the design and build of the thing.
In a nut shell they are a very good forty year old design, but are let down by the build quality,
BUT ,,,,I will never buy another bike again, this one is it untill the grim reaper buys the next beer
Mine had a failure at 20 000 km when the NEW DESIGN seal let go anf the floating bush went, one floating bush later ,- read a few dollars !!!( as in around 20 dollars)

The newr bike are of a better build quality, due to The head man at Enfield ,,being a bike nut AND listening to the customer ( trouble is india is still thier main market and the average joe wants fuel economy AND its the good ole fashioned dino juice ,,,,probably with yur actual lead in it and all !!)
Finally they will sit all day at 100 km/h, use sod all juice , and are made of yur actual metal ...

Stephen
Ill have a scout for pictures of the beasty

inlinefour
30th December 2005, 22:21
So, who here owns a classic bike?

What is it?
Does it have any interesting history?
Do you keep it legal?
Do you ride it often?

I have a '51 Triumph Thunderbird, love it to bits. I dont ride it as much as i want to because my knoledge of pre-unit brittish bikes is pretty lacking and i dont own any whitworth tools.
Sorry, i dont have any electronic pics of it, but if anyone was at the cold duck this year, i was there on it, if you have a pic please post.

Are any of you classic owners young like me? At 19, i get some pretty funny looks when i pull up anywhere on it, and dont know any other young classic owners.

Have the Kawasaki B1LA, single cylinder 2 stroker 125cc motorsickle. Still in original condition and complete, even with the tool kit. Had been on display in the bike museam down Levin way and I purchased it from the owner of the museam. There was also some other funky bikes down there that I would have loved to taken home, but alas the misses would not have understood:innocent:
Its currently in a few bits and I should really put it back together and fire it up. Will not be making it road legal though, two is enough for regos and wofs. Have allready posted a picture of it, so some of you will have viewed it.:eek:

froggyfrenchman
31st December 2005, 07:40
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-43679477.htm

The old Tokyo Boneville. Not many on the road down this way..

T.W.R
31st December 2005, 07:41
Have a 53' BSA D1 Bantam in tidy unrestored condition stashed in the shed.
Gets a couple of runs around the property per year, hasn't been on the road for a while. its got 31 thousand miles on the clock. had it for almost 20yrs.

nsrpaul
31st December 2005, 11:21
got a 750 commando , a 350g3l matchless and a model 9 500 sunbeam , the norton gets monthly use , the others maybe four times a year
none of them have rego , its just to expensive

HenryDorsetCase
31st December 2005, 15:38
My '77 CB400F is my only bike at present, and coping quite well with it too.

terbang
31st December 2005, 17:42
Dunno If they are old enough to be classics but I have a couple of 1980 GSX1100's in fairly origional condition that I ride regularily.:blip:

TwoSeven
31st December 2005, 19:51
I have a 65/66 D7 bantam, 12k miles on the clock half done by me (I have the original V5). Its got to be restored now as salt hit it and caused too much grief.

classic zed
31st December 2005, 23:30
I guess a 79 qualifies as a classic, nearly fully restored its looking great so far. I cant wait to take it out and meet the KB people.

:ride:

Motu
1st January 2006, 08:41
I still have my 1974 Moto Guzzi Stornello,but it's a long time since it ran,and it now needs a total rebuild,although I've only done 12,000km on it from new.