PDA

View Full Version : I aint used to this

Rincewind
30th December 2005, 19:22
Hi Guy's, as a fairweather rider I only get to take my bike out occaisionaly,I used to go to work on it in the winter but we moved to within 4 k of my works now and I ride my mountain bike or use the works van.

I took my bike out yesterday for my first real leisure ride from Albany on the North shore to Kaipara (not far by some of you peoples standards I know)

How the bloody hell do you keep cool over here in full leathers,or is it standard to loose half a kilo in weight per hundred K of riding !!!!

To make matters worse I was riding over Cotesville and it pissed down so I had to change into my dry suite oh boy was I cooking in there....

I've seen a lot of guy's riding around in shorts and T shirt's and sometime's I feel real envious but I could never do that (the first time I ever do that I will fall over and need plastic surgery for skin erosion)

so what's the secret,do I have to invest in some sort of refrigerated underware!!!!

I am used to riding in the U K where even in summer you balls look like wallnuts when you come back from a 10 K ride Ha Ha

Rincewind
30th December 2005, 19:40
Perhaps I just take a shotgun to the leathers Hey
yes I have heard that one about small nut's BiG SPANNERS THOUGH !!!

Mad Cow
30th December 2005, 19:44
I am a kiwi and I have the same problem! (Edit - not the nuts bit eh??) And I am afraid to tell you summer has hardly started - we have the hottest months to go yet??? So I tried putting the visor up but decided after the first bee that that wasn't a good idea either.......

Swoop
30th December 2005, 19:48
Wouldn't be without them personally...
There are some "mesh" jackets available that have the armour in all the right places, but allow the wind to do its thing. Have a look in Motomail or other bike shops!
Enjoy the riding here!

Motu
30th December 2005, 20:43
You have a dualsport - get some dualsport gear,it's much more versatile.Over the last couple of years I've put together a summer kit out of out of season sales.I always wear dirt boots,I'm not wearing any of these sponcy race rep boots,may as well wear carpet slippers I reckon,I have dirt trou,losts of venting,and have hinged knee armour,a mesh armour suit with an unlined and vented cordura enduro jacket,vented gloves and an MX helmet and goggles.If I stop for a rest,then when I get going on the bike you can feel all the venting - the helmet lets cool air go right over the top of my head,the big face opening lets more air in,the jacket and armour suit lets air flow over my whole body,and if I stand up the trou have a vented crutch - all very cool indeed....maybe a little too cool in the morning.If I get wet in a summer shower the whole outfit dries very quickly.

inlinefour
31st December 2005, 00:21
Three options:

1. Wear less gear and risk the loss of skin.

2. Get cooler gear (temp wise), my codura gear is not so hot but you still cook in town.

3. Go back to the airconditioned cage.

I find that as long as I'm drinking enough H2O, I'm OK, but watch out for caffinated drinks, they will dehydrate you even more.:(

nadroj
31st December 2005, 06:39
I remember a trade display in New Plymouth over a year ago was selling cool vests from the material developed for use at the Olympics in Athens on atheletes and horses (not spanners). It may be an oportunity for someone to source & supply to other bikers. From memory you wet the garment & left it in the fridge before use. It could still be effective with a rinse in cold water. I will see if I kept the bochure ( could be mission impossible).
http://heatrelief.co.nz/index.htm

Momentum
31st December 2005, 09:42
I had the same prob in my leather jacket so i went out and got myself a shift mesh jacket with armor in the elbows and shoulders. My olds went out and got me some shift jeans that are kevlar lined $360 all up for both. use that round town but open road i put my leather jacket back on

Pixie
31st December 2005, 09:56
Try on a NEO brand jacket with Outlast liner.
These are quite amazing and at the moment unique.
They actually cool you down.I was sceptical but they do seem to work.
Holeshot in Barry's point rd stock them .Around $250

zadok
31st December 2005, 10:02
I had the same prob in my leather jacket so i went out and got myself a shift mesh jacket with armor in the elbows and shoulders. My olds went out and got me some shift jeans that are kevlar lined $360 all up for both. use that round town but open road i put my leather jacket back on
That's what I was going to suggest. That type of jacket with the zip out lining for hot conditions and you still have the armour.

DEATH_INC.
31st December 2005, 10:11
UUMMM well yeh.....:slap:
I have the same problem,I farkin cook in the summer but I can testify that compromising gear is NOT the way to go:eek5: ......You can get some pretty good vented stuff now so look into it.And I can also tell ya that mx shirts don't do shit on the road either,get stuff made for road use.

nadroj
6th January 2006, 19:12
We sell cooling vests that are worn over a t-shirt. These are $150 + postage. We can make pants for you, these are custom made and can be expensive, due to the fact of being a one off item. Cooling caps are very popular at $44 + postage and cooling helmet liners to be worn under your helmet. These are $33+postage.
If you have any further quereis then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards
HEAT-RELIEF LTD
Denise van Wijk
0508 787 747
Cellphone: 027 286 7776
Phone/Fax 06 377 1223
heatrelief@xtra.co.nz
www.heatrelief.co.nz

XP@
20th January 2006, 16:23
If you are off out for a day ride and are going to be around your bike most of the time then wear shorts and tshirt under your gear. so when you stop just strip off...
you get to know how long you can stand the heat before you have to ride or strip.

Marmoot
20th January 2006, 16:49
If you observe the crash statistics carefully, the area around your armpits are the areas with the least injury risk in the event of a crash.
So, you can actually cut that portion off your jacket to aid cooling.

Same as groin areas.

:psst:

Jackrat
20th January 2006, 18:56
You could buy the Dri Rider jacket I have posted in the for sale section,very reasonable price an all.The liner removes an it goes from being FERRRRKING WARM to fairly cool,,,ish.
Or you could just harden up.
Buy my jacket.

HenryDorsetCase
20th January 2006, 21:07
Theres a Peter Egan column about this in Cycle World last year.

the tip was get your cotton T shirt, soak it in water, take some photos of your nipples standing up, post them on kiwibiker* then put your kit on and go ride.

As you heat up the water evaporates, cooling you down.

They were talking about riding in the hottest part of the US, at the hottest time of year, doing big days though whether it would be worth it in NZ?

*the photos and posting part are optional.:msn-wink: (after 300+ posts, my sense of humour is coming through.. must..... stop.....)

Big Chim
24th January 2006, 17:05
I only have a jacket, still working on getting pants. I just deal with it aye until i get out on the open road then all good, i put the jacket on to go 2mins down the road cause if i stak it the i'd rather be protected rather than my garage wall.

SPman
24th January 2006, 17:14
Saw lots of different vented (read full of holes) cordura style jackets over in Perth. Think I managed to convince my lady to consider getting one...but - full leathers?
Nearest I got was.......