PDA

View Full Version : Britten bikes at Hellensville

NZred
11th March 2004, 22:51
Tim Hanna, author of the Biography on John Britten contacted me about a
bike weekend that is being staged in Hellensville .. April 2nd, 3rd and 4th ..
which includes running a Britten through Hellensville and a whole heap of
other bike related entertainment.
Have a look at the attached press release. This should be a very
interesting event. Press release
The first annual Grand Hotel Britten Get Together!

....................................... :niceone: .............................

Tim Hanna, author of the biography John Britten, and Inia, the well-known tattoo artist and a long time supporter of classic bike racing, have combined forces to create a significant new motorcycle event. A year ago Inia purchased the historic old Grand Hotel in Helensville, about 40 minutes north west of Auckland. He raised a few eyebrows, and was the subject of a TVNZ documentary, when he banned the drug P from the premises, chucked out the pokey machines and declared the Hotel family and community friendly. After a substantial refurbishment the old pub is looking pretty good with a number of classic motorcycles hanging from the ceiling.
The purpose of the event, according to Inia, is to fill a big gap in the motorcycle calendar and to establish Helensville as the most motorcycle friendly town in New Zealand.
“We have the mayor and the council and the local businessman’s association right behind the event. The idea is to head out here on the weekend beginning Friday, April the 2nd. We have organized plenty of accommodation and campsites and the pub will be HQ for the festivities. Of course Helensville also boasts the best hot spring bathing so tired muscles will have come to the right place. I wanted to do something to promote the memory of John Britten and celebrate the wonderful gift he gave New Zealand Motorcycling and Tim Hanna was an obvious choice to host the get together. We will have a Britten on stage throughout the weekend and intend to run it through town on the Saturday. There will be a big party at the Hotel on Saturday night and a wonderful run around the best scratching roads in the area on the Sunday. Tim Forlong, our local motorcycling Priest, will bless our bikes during a special John Britten memorial service beforehand, which all are welcome to attend. We’ve kept costs to an absolute minimum and expect a lot of people.”
Tim Hanna said that he was delighted to be associated with the event.
“The John Britten Get Together is going to be an annual event and I can see it getting better and better. When Inia told me of his plans I was blown away and it was only days later that he came around with these amazing posters and was gathering up support. Kevin Grant came to the party straight away and promised that his Britten would be there and it all fell into place. There are going to be a lot of guys who were associated with the Britten project so it will be fantastic catching up. Helensville is a great little town and everyone is so enthusiastic about it that I am really looking forward to it. I was at the Sound of Thunder at Ruapuna recently and a lot of BEARS guys were talking of riding up - so it could easily become the longest rally in New Zealand as well. If you love to ride and you enjoy the company of similar people you have to be there”.

:love: :niceone: :not: :sunny:

RiderInBlack
15th March 2004, 07:53
Dis for real:shit::not: F*cken Cool:2thumbsup I was soo disapointed with not being able to get to the memoral race in ChCh:cry: Definitely a goer for this if it is in Hellensville. Be able to hoon down the Wellsford to Hellensville road on the way down (and back) from Whangarei:niceone: Keep me posted:Punk:

Have the Britten as the start up sound for my PC. If anyone wants it I'll send it to them, but file is fairly large (2.14MB as a wav file) or they could try the Britten site www.britten.co.nz (http://www.britten.co.nz)