PDA

View Full Version : modding a Jap scooter lights

Sketchy_Racer
31st December 2005, 11:27
I managed to crash my scooter a while back, and in the process it ripped the front lights etc off. Sooo I thought, what an excellent time to 'mod' my lights!!

The original one was waaaay to dim for night riding, which is what I like doing, so I thought I might put some high watt halogen spots on. To supercheap auto I go, and got me some 55w spot lights. Went home wired them up and thought ohhh yea its pimping cool..... Later that night the charging system couldn’t handle the draw from the two lights :argh: and had a melt down.

Not to worry. I’ve got shit loads of magnetos from bigger bikes. with a plate made up and a change to the ignition system, it was all go :yes:

One light is hard wired on, and the other is on switch, although just one is brighter than two normal car lights, well not quite, but they are fucking bright!!, and with both on there is no reason for me not to be seen by cars. I didn’t worry about putting the Speedo back on, but I still wanted high beam and oil light, so gat me a chrome gauge cover and did a home style job on it, but it works so it’s all good.

Next mod on the list,

Replace back light with super super bright LED lights and those new spunky indicators you can get

Cheers, Glenn

skidMark
31st December 2005, 17:05
All class mate.... so your wiring fried or what ? and have you just stuck a diff mag on to fix it or something?

Sketchy_Racer
31st December 2005, 19:09
yea pretty much.... the lighting coil burnt out, so i replaced it all Ignition and lighting coils and a new flywheel. The new fly wheel is bigger than stock which is good cause it holds it speed up hills when it used to bog out straight away.

Coyote
31st December 2005, 19:36
How much were those lights each? They look pretty sweet

Sketchy_Racer
31st December 2005, 20:06
not much, only $10 each..

Sniper
1st January 2006, 08:08
And this is legal right?

Sketchy_Racer
1st January 2006, 10:16
Yes, it is legal. Why would it not be?? i just replaced the lights!!!

skidMark
1st January 2006, 12:35
im trying to figure out why only 55 watts would screw ur lighting coil or do the lights run straight off the motor not battery current im guessing?

froggyfrenchman
1st January 2006, 13:44
Thats pure class right there mr RG100!

Sketchy_Racer
1st January 2006, 18:15
im trying to figure out why only 55 watts would screw ur lighting coil or do the lights run straight off the motor not battery current im guessing?

yes the head lights on scooters do run directly from the lighting coil. the battery/ charging coil is different. and there are two 55w lights..and both were going, making it 110w in total, the electrics couldnt handle that as the original is only a 35 watt ;)

Thats pure class right there mr RG100

why yes i know, thank you :woohoo:

Ivan
2nd January 2006, 21:17
the beast is different since I rode it