PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: 250cc 4 Stroke

Mokoro
12th March 2004, 13:16
Im in Auckland, and im after a 250cc 4 stroke bike. Had a REALLY nice one lined up, but seller apparently got a better offer :argh:

So im on the prow again. My spending limit is $3000. Im preferably looking for somthing in the 90's. Mid 90's would be best..

Cheers

jrandom
12th March 2004, 13:44
Hmmm. You should be able to find a ZXR or CBR in reasonable (ie, engine-not-yet-seized) nick for that. Don't expect a shiny import straight from the dealer, though, and I dunno about a mid-90s one.

What you *really* need, right, is a GN250. Suzuki have just started building them again due to popular demand in various parts, and SNZ are bringing them in at an RRP of $2995. Can't go wrong, that's heaps of brand-new bike for the dollars if you don't mind not being sporty. Give Holeshot or Colemans a yell.

jrandom
12th March 2004, 13:47
And in case nobody picked it up yet, I just have to point out (again) that it's a BRAND NEW single-cylinder 250 standard-style bike for under three grand (plus ORC). Which is unbelievably cheap.

Those GNs have almost as good a rep as the CB250RSs for reliability, too. Yer nuts not to buy one.

MrMelon
12th March 2004, 14:40
You seen this one?
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2209

cheep cheep and looks pretty good too.

georgedubyabush
12th March 2004, 20:57
You can have mine for 3. Could do with some new tyres though.

Rocket
14th March 2004, 18:30
got digi pics handy?

Andrew
14th March 2004, 18:42
got digi pics handy?

Gdb's bike is mint, and a steal at $3k. If I were you I would act fast. Oh and before you ask - no I'm not getting paid to say this!

Yamahamaman
14th March 2004, 19:08
Gdb's bike is mint, and a steal at $3k. If I were you I would act fast. Oh and before you ask - no I'm not getting paid to say this!
Awww c'mon Andrew - we all know that you are a 'poor student' :whistle:

Andrew
14th March 2004, 19:57
Awww c'mon Andrew - we all know that you are a 'poor student' :whistle:

Well at least I ain't some rich cunt who upgrades his bike every year. I work hard at my studies and play hard on the bike. So next time I want your opinion or your money I'll ask for it. Otherwise Piss off. :angry2:

georgedubyabush
14th March 2004, 20:03
10 bucks for Andrew

Yamahamaman
14th March 2004, 20:19
Well at least I ain't some rich cunt who upgrades his bike every year. I work hard at my studies and play hard on the bike. So next time I want your opinion or your money I'll ask for it. Otherwise Piss off. :angry2:
Well for one thing although you consider me to be a 'rich cunt' I do not update my ride every year, just when the warranty is about to expire. For another, if you were to ever ask for my opinion, I would say piss off :finger:
And so take your $10 and forcefully place it here :moon:

Two Smoker
14th March 2004, 20:25
Well for one thing although you consider me to be a 'rich cunt' I do not update my ride every year, just when the warranty is about to expire. For another, if you were to ever ask for my opinion, I would say piss off :finger:
Ding Ding, Let the fight begin lol,

Andrew
14th March 2004, 21:04

I wouldn't wipe my ass with $100 if it came from you. Go take your $100 and use it for a deposit on another bike. :finger:

Yamahamaman
14th March 2004, 23:18
I wouldn't wipe my ass with $100 if it came from you. Go take your $100 and use it for a deposit on another bike. :finger:
HA! If I was gonna give you $100 it would be in 5c pieces. Imagine depositing that :moon: . You'd be a tin-ass :Pokey: and squeek when you walk.

Rocket
15th March 2004, 08:07
Nice bike, i am in the market for a 250 at the moment. Woyuld this be a suitible bike to learn on? Can you give me a general desc of the bike, any damage etc? KMs state of rubber, any mods or anything that has been replaced fixed? Does it have rego warrant, when do they expire? Some more pics would be great.

georgedubyabush
15th March 2004, 09:44
Nice bike, i am in the market for a 250 at the moment. Woyuld this be a suitible bike to learn on? Can you give me a general desc of the bike, any damage etc? KMs state of rubber, any mods or anything that has been replaced fixed? Does it have rego warrant, when do they expire? Some more pics would be great.

Suitable? Sure, heaps of learners have them. Or do you mean LEARN as in, the absolute basics like clutch, balance, shifting gears? I wouldn't call it the easiest bike to learn on compared to a cb250 or something but people do it.

Bike:
1989 zxr250, 29 and some thousand kms. Wof and rego for a few more months.

Good condition. I've had it about 16 months. Bought from Red Baron in Auckland. Haven't crashed it. Couple of stone chips, nothing serious.
It's completely standard I believe apart from the green paint job Red Baron gave her.

Well serviced. 3 oil/filter changes since I've had it. Valves shimmed and new clutch at 20,000. New plugs. New chain. Rattling camchain fixed. Indicator flasher unit replaced. That's about it.

My tires seem to last fuck all, and this set are screwed. Front tire has enough tread in the middle, but the sides are buggered. Rear is just plain buggered.

PM me your email and I'll send you some pics tonight if you like.

I dont particularly want to sell it as I haven't got my full yet, but I leave for US/UK on May 21st.

Rocket
15th March 2004, 10:16
Suitable? Sure, heaps of learners have them. Or do you mean LEARN as in, the absolute basics like clutch, balance, shifting gears? I wouldn't call it the easiest bike to learn on compared to a cb250 or something but people do it.

Bike:
1989 zxr250, 29 and some thousand kms. Wof and rego for a few more months.

Good condition. I've had it about 16 months. Bought from Red Baron in Auckland. Haven't crashed it. Couple of stone chips, nothing serious.
It's completely standard I believe apart from the green paint job Red Baron gave her.

Well serviced. 3 oil/filter changes since I've had it. Valves shimmed and new clutch at 20,000. New plugs. New chain. Rattling camchain fixed. Indicator flasher unit replaced. That's about it.

My tires seem to last fuck all, and this set are screwed. Front tire has enough tread in the middle, but the sides are buggered. Rear is just plain buggered.

PM me your email and I'll send you some pics tonight if you like.

I dont particularly want to sell it as I haven't got my full yet, but I leave for US/UK on May 21st.
pmsg sent!

aff-man
15th March 2004, 11:30
I know this thread has been done and overdone but once again if you are lerning go the way of the vtr250. You can get a more recent one for a lot less but if you want superior handeling/corning ability and silly amount of revs available you can't go passed the zxr/cbr. just be carefull if learning they have the ability to make you push the envelope as ofter as possible :love:

Rocket
15th March 2004, 11:36
I know this thread has been done and overdone but once again if you are lerning go the way of the vtr250. You can get a more recent one for a lot less but if you want superior handeling/corning ability and silly amount of revs available you can't go passed the zxr/cbr. just be carefull if learning they have the ability to make you push the envelope as ofter as possible :love:

yer i have heard this, althou finding a CBR250R or RR for around 250 is a bit of a mish. Specuially from a retailer, they seem to chuck 2grand on everything.

Havnt heard much about zxrs, they do look good thou thats for sure, might google them and do some reading.

thx for the input

aff-man
15th March 2004, 11:44
Yeh even second hand private sales seem to start at 3k ish . If you want a demo i'm sure there are enough zxr250 riders around to just swing by somewhere, on the way home of course, and show you. You see there goes that primal urge to ride again :bleh: . Hmm as for dealers don't even bother they start at around $4500 and go up till like $7000 and these bikes are older than 1995 but have low km's. Just be sure that if you are looking for a cheaper sportsbike get a mechanic to do a full test before purchace otherwise you could end up spending more on fixing the bike than what the bike cost :Pokey:

Rocket
15th March 2004, 12:18
http://bikepoint.co.nz/market/UsedBikeDetail.asp?BikeID=93098&Year=1990

theres a private sale hmm nice picture that one.

Mokoro
19th March 2004, 17:35
NEW PLAN. yet again. lets hope this one goes through no problems...

I have my sights set on a ZZR250, 1995. Looks nice.. anyone here own one? What are they like? anything i should look out for when i go test ride it?

wkid_one
19th March 2004, 17:50
Yep - 250 market is overpriced because of the false demand. Dealers know that learner riders typically know feck all about bikes and have to buy a 250 - so charge like wounded bulls for them.

Buy private and take someone along who knows bikes - this is your best bet to save money. It is relatively easy to spot if a bike has had a major off (swing arm, staunchion and frame scratches - as these are the most expensive bits to replace and are usually left)

Then - if you are anal - get a compression test done etc and you should be fine.

Even given the money you spend on this - you should be able to pick a bike up privately for considerable less than thru a dealer.

You have to remember for all the people who are looking for 250s there are also a lot a people who are upgrading off their Restricted who refuse to be rogered for the ridiculous trade in prices.

Mokoro
21st March 2004, 19:46
hmm, i test rode the zzr250, 1995 model. its pretty nice, i didnt thrash anything really, havent ridden for a while so im scared to..

but i suspect the bike had been thrashed. i turned up to take it for a test ride, but it wouldnt start at all. we suspected he flooded it. he told me he hadnt started it for over a week......
so i left, feeling kinda annoyed. then he called me back, his brother apparently used ether on the spark plugs or somthing, and that got it running.

If no one else has made an offer, im going to get the bike checked out by a motor bike shop up here in auckland. the bike is way up in north shore, and i live out west and work in central. (its gona be fun to organize :( )

Thoughts anyone? on how it wouldnt start? I suspect it would be just that over time the spark plugs got clogged up with shit, its at 33 000ks atm.