PDA

View Full Version : Noise pollution

selectedgrub
2nd January 2006, 12:27
Old timer at LTNZ warns of the decibel limit on my ride. Checks to see if the drag pipes are baffled, notes on the sheet "Exhaust noise borderline". Mumbles something about Harleys then states there bringing in a law about excessive noise and will be decibel checked in future. WTF.

maddog007
2nd January 2006, 12:35
its a worry eh,i think theres a thread about it somewhere already.

maddog007
2nd January 2006, 12:39
here it is:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=358&highlight=decibel

maddog007
2nd January 2006, 12:57
& a more recent one:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=15226&highlight=decibel

selectedgrub
2nd January 2006, 18:07
Interesting reading, I'll just have to insert Goldilocks/ Steel scourers down the pipes, re-install the baffles then go for my warrent. Get the WOF then remove the baffles, A quick blip of the wick and they'll fly out. Kissing my arse Mr man. How petty... Thanks Maddog

SlashWylde
2nd January 2006, 20:12
Interesting reading, I'll just have to insert Goldilocks/ Steel scourers down the pipes, re-install the baffles then go for my warrent. Get the WOF then remove the baffles, A quick blip of the wick and they'll fly out. Kissing my arse Mr man. How petty... Thanks Maddog

Fuck that shit, just take it to a sympathetic bike shop. Assuming you have one locally.

I took my bike to an VTNZ shop once, they diddn't have a clue how to WOF a bike. Wanted me to lever the bike up on it's kick stand to check the play on the front and rear wheels...never again.

Waylander
3rd January 2006, 20:07
Tell me to baffle my bike and I'll laugh in your face and ride off making sure to rev it as high as engine safty allows so you get the full noise. But then, my bike is quiet compared to stock harleys, no hope of being as loud as custom ones lol.

Omega1
4th January 2006, 09:50
Yeah, I'm not keen on taking my bike to VTNZ for a WOF heard a few suspect stories , though didnt we just go through this exhaust issue due to the Boy Racer Brigade awhile back? nevermind I still have my factory pipes if this gets to serious.

skidMark
4th January 2006, 10:31
Fuck that shit, just take it to a sympathetic bike shop. Assuming you have one locally.

I took my bike to an VTNZ shop once, they diddn't have a clue how to WOF a bike. Wanted me to lever the bike up on it's kick stand to check the play on the front and rear wheels...never again.

WTF what a bunch of idiots. yeah ill just get a really heavy bike and lean it off it's stand i mean shit it's not a damn pushbike.

:weird:

vs04
4th January 2006, 16:14
WTF what a bunch of idiots. yeah ill just get a really heavy bike and lean it off it's stand i mean shit it's not a damn pushbike.

:weird:
Yeah,that happened to a mate of mine here in wanganui, he told them to f off.Bunch of dickwads.

Divot
5th January 2006, 11:28
Wanted me to lever the bike up on it's kick stand to check the play on the front and rear wheels...never again.

Thats quite normal at most testing stations

Ixion
5th January 2006, 11:36
Good way to overload and break the stand, though.

WRT
5th January 2006, 11:42
Have had all my bikes up on the side stands at one point or another. Either at testing stations, or just for lubing the chain. Never had a stand break . . . (yet)

Ixion
5th January 2006, 11:49
I've broken a few. Side stand isn't designed to support the full weight of the bike, assumption is that the wheels will take part of the load. Obviously, only an issue with heavy bikes. I'd like to see someone wiggle Der Uberfarter around on his sidestand.

WRT
5th January 2006, 11:54
Ok, was talking about tilting the bike up on one wheel (normally the front) and the side stand, not JUST the sidestand - that would be foolish in my opinion . . .

Motu
5th January 2006, 12:36
You can buy props that you fit on the swing arm that combined with the side stand will get the rear wheel off the ground for chain lube or wheel removal.Depending on where your stand is located,one wheel off is ok.As far as WoFs and bikes are concerned - you either trust me or you don't...if you don't,then go somewhere else,I don't care about your anal obsesions with your bike....

Ixion
5th January 2006, 13:34
Of course, when you have a CENTRE stand ..........

Motu
5th January 2006, 14:35
Wassat??...

thehollowmen
5th January 2006, 16:27
Wassat??...

A centaur stand is the hanging bit you see when you lok at a centaur from behind.

Angry Puppy
6th January 2006, 21:10
Ok, was talking about tilting the bike up on one wheel (normally the front) and the side stand, not JUST the sidestand - that would be foolish in my opinion . . .

Yeah, seen a bloke with a zx6r balance the whole bike on the side stand so he could turn it 180 degrees. What ever dude, your money.:weird:

APPLE
6th January 2006, 22:52
yeh na man,never goin bak 2 them 4 a warrent,there all gay dudes man..they reckon my 2brothas on my first bike TLS were 2 loud man?..gonna try on roadnz,c wot happens with them.hope there not gay????sorry gay dudes.

classic zed
16th January 2006, 22:05
I use a hydraulic bike lift for my Wof's.

As for the noise, had a Harley in the other day with dam near straight through pipes, didnt sound too loud to me, mind you being nearly deaf in one ear helps.

:rofl:

skidMark
16th January 2006, 23:32
classic zed i may come see you if i ever need to get a warrent for my mini motard lol a deaf person for testing exhaust noise now theres a good system, IMHO (in my honest opinion)

Skyryder
25th January 2006, 08:32
I've got a centre stand so its not an issue with me. Anyone wants to make an issue with this. Refuse and ring the media.
We pay enough for WOF's as it is. LTNZ authorizes the station's testing authority. The least that they could do is to ensure that the appropiate equipment is there to do so.

The media at times gets abit of a slagging but make them work for you. Go and see your MP while you're at it.

Skyryder

PS The noise thing is going to happen. Thank the boy races for this.

Ixion
25th January 2006, 08:37
What would happen if one had neither side nor centre stand? Neither is a legal requirement, and I've owned bikes that had neither (nor a rear wheel stand either - they were good!). They can hardly refuse to test it.